Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:17:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 226
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 197
Total: 198

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Reyataz/Norvir boost - precise timing necessary?  (Read 4140 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Reyataz/Norvir boost - precise timing necessary?
« on: November 30, 2008, 04:10:05 pm »
Does one have to precise in time, for taking Reyataz with Norvir boost and Truvada?  My ID switched me last week from Sustiva/truvada. On that combo, he told m to take it before bed, no matter what time, 11pm or 3am didnt matter.  He said i could do the same with Reyataz - at dinner - but didn't matter what time dinner is each day....

I see some people are very concerned to take Reyataz on precise schedule.
I thought Norvir boost was to keep consistent levels. 
I asked this question in another thread, but didn't get an answer.

So- everyday the exact same time, or is a couple hours difference not a big deal?

Is my ID correct, I would hope so?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Reyataz/Norvir boost - precise timing necessary?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 06:25:11 pm »
Hello hello

I wouldn't fret about precise time, just once a day.

A typical length for a therapeutic dose on Reyataz is 28 hours +/- 4 << but hmm, don't be one of the few who are nearer 24- than 36+ please.

As for the Norvir, it makes not a jot squit when you take it, the boosting effect is not related completely to timing - besides the straightforward get the drug level up boosting effect it does something to your liver metabolism which helps keep PI levels up, so brekkie, lunch or with a nightcap, with or separate from the rest of the drugs, will do.

I personally am completely flaky about by Reyataz timing, lunch one day, dinner the next, and it makes sod all effect on my viral load << do not copy me people -- and so are most of my friends << do not copy them either.

In short, I agree with your doc. This is quite a robust drug time wise. Likewsie Truvada. Once a day will do, don't fret on the time is what my doc said too.

This reminds me I must really go to clinic on Monday, it's been 6 months now.

Actually I am fibbing about the completely flaky, it's never more than +4 extra hours after i am due a dose, I am pretty strict thinking about it, I just enjoy, and take advantage of, the flexibility.

- matt
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 06:27:55 pm by newt »
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline mecch

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 07:14:01 pm »
Thanks Newt. Amazing comprehensive answer as always. I feel better.

Now I hope I don't turn yellow.  Those disagreable Sustiva "skin chills" dissappeared mid-week, by the way, a couple days off the drug.  You were the only one to report someone else having that (your ex??) and I had to push my doc to switch me off. 

Nice to know all this medicine does control virus, however.  Millions down to 120, I feel good about that, that's for sure! 

Thanks again.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline a2z

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 10:46:45 pm »
Thanks Newt. Amazing comprehensive answer as always. I feel better.

Now I hope I don't turn yellow.  Those disagreable Sustiva "skin chills" dissappeared mid-week, by the way, a couple days off the drug.  You were the only one to report someone else having that (your ex??) and I had to push my doc to switch me off. 

Nice to know all this medicine does control virus, however.  Millions down to 120, I feel good about that, that's for sure! 

Thanks again.

We'll find out how flexible it is for myself.  I've tried to keep to the following time adherance (-45 minutes to +5 minutes) and have violated 4 times in 6 1/2 weeks.  (100 minutes, 180 minutes twice, and 40 minutes) -- I take my bloodwork tomorrow and find out on the 10th.

I work with hundreds of people of which 10-15 see me on a daily basis.  Only 3 of which noticed I had slightly yellowed.  Two of them didn't say yellow...one said I looked the different and the other was relieved I got some color because I was looking "mighty white."  The third was an-ex-nurse and she looked closer...she was afraid of hepatitis (it's not) and urged I talk to my doc.  But she said it was barely noticeable.  No one suspected I was on HIV meds.  And everyone else noticed no change, or didn't say.

Dates are blood draw dates:
3/12/15: CD4 941, 36.4%, VL UD
9/4/14: CD4 948, 37.9%, VL 150
5/23/14: CD4 895 --.-% VL UD - Truvada/Isentress
09/21/09: CD4 898 27.0% VL 120 - back on track, same meds.High level enzymes, but less so
06/15/09: CD4 478 21.8% VL 1150 - high liver enzymes... looks like I may not be resistant
05/22/09: Fixed insurance, resumed medicine
04/17/09: Ran out of medicine, could not resolve insurance problems
04/01/09: CD4 773 28% VL 120 - high liver enzymes
12/01/08: CD4 514 23% VL 630
10/17/08 started Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada. -- possibly minor neuropathy, but otherwise okay.
9/10/08: CD4 345 17%, VL > 78K
8/18/08: CD4 312 18%, VL > 60K (considering meds)
12/19/07: CD4 550 28% VL > 100K (no meds yet)
Diagnosed 10/23/07

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 10:08:59 am »
I dyed my hair blond as a disguise /distraciton.

my study doc says the half lives are very long for reyataz/norvir.  I believe he mentioned 36 hours.

I take mine with breakfast.  I also have an alarm set in outlook to remind me.  so my blackberry goes off and my computer goes off and my laptop bugs me if I happen to open it in the morning.  That helps me not forget.  One morning my routine got disrupted and I missed a dose because I was stressed out about dealing with something else.

doc said no big deal, just don't make a habit of it.

I do have the slight yellowing thing... but it's not bad most of the time.  It was worse initially.  Sure wish they could avoid that.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline mecch

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 12:27:11 pm »
Im ever so slightly yellow after about 2 weeks. But being a pale person naturally I think it improves the situation, as long as i ski all winter, i'll be tan on top of yellow...  Oh who the heck cares, as long as my eyes dont turn piss yellow and I can ski and work and have fun, I can't really complain.

Thanks for the half life info. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 12:35:01 pm by mecch »

Offline weasel

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 05:44:55 pm »
I take mine with breakfast between 8am-9am

never miss a dose . works for me .

My doctor told me same time everyday , then later backed off and said a few hours did not matter .
but I like to do it same time .

hope it works for you , i am olive  to begin with so nobody ever notices

i am off color  :o

karl
" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.