Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:06:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 513
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 442
Total: 442

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Coffee and Chocolate  (Read 9153 times)

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
Coffee and Chocolate
« on: January 18, 2007, 09:57:45 am »
Is coffee and chocolate good for us? Not on meds yet but will be soon. Coffee usually makes me wanna go to the potty therefore I don't know how good it will be now.
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline bear60

Re: Coffee and Chocolate
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 10:51:23 am »
coffee and chocolate are not bad for you...its how much you consume.  Everything in moderation and you're fine.  But the bottom line for everyone is to be able to listen to what your body is telling you. If you drink too much coffee or alchohol or whatever...your body will tell you.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Christine

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 02:26:02 pm »
Moderation is the key. I would be lost without my morning coffee, and a little bit of chocolate every now and then.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 02:35:26 pm »
I will NEVER give up my coffee.  EVER!  I'm currently totally devoted to Torreo (local Philly roaster) and their Ethiopian roast.  I limit myself to two (largish) cups each morning.

I adore chocolate (dark) but I consume it quite sparingly.

Anyway, I think you'll find that you don't have to give up loving food due to HIV.  You can consume most anything in moderate amounts, which is what you would IDEALLY be doing if you were negative.  If your doctor starts seeing something in your routine blood work that is odd he'll pack you off to the nutritionist.

And I'll be damned if I'm not going to treat myself to a big ole juicy fat-filled cheeseburger with fries once/month.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 04:10:11 am »
If you are going to eat chocolate, eat dark chocolate, it's better for you, and make sure it's good quality.  Coffee can raise your blood pressure, and also dehydrate you, as well as stain your teeth amongst other things.  It's addictive (caffeine).  Still, all in moderation.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 10:55:42 am »
Oh heaven! A big, juicy cheeseburger!

I haven't had one of those in more than five years. There are times I almost succumb to temptation, but the aftereffects are just too nasty.

But, yes, chocolate, coffee, tea, wine, scotch whiskey. I consume them all - but in moderation.

As Bear said, your body will let you know if you've overdone.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 11:31:52 am »
Huh! I dare anybody to take away my morning coffee cup! Grrrrrr. I love coffee+milk in the morning. I can skip it and do with a cup of warm milk and sugar, but that is rarely. Your body and stomach will tell you when you need to stop consuming something. A few weeks ago I really wasn't enjoying my morning coffee anymore and I stopped drinking it for about 2 weeks. Instead I had milk and it felt good. I am back to the coffee+milk, though. I try not to drink it too strong. Never do the black coffee alone.

Chocolate! Can't live without it, either. I have in my fridge those Ferrero Rocher's and I eat about 2-3 a day while they last. Any chocolate is fine with me but for a time I totally forget about it and months can go by without touching one. My body does have a control thing which I listen to. Besides, a little chocolate in your diet does boost the sexual urge (unless you are diabetic)! I have experimented this with my partner and it works... ;)
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 11:38:55 am »
When I wasn't feeling well in October I stopped drinking coffee for a month and a half and it was like someone took a piece of me. I was no longer me. I started drinking it again and I felt good again. mmmm..
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 01:28:32 pm »
i switched from coffee to green tea and went back to coffee when i didn't really notice any difference in sleeping better at night. my doctor of course suggest the switch and said i would sleep much better so i tried it for a few months. i missed it. my partner and roommate would have their morning coffee and the aroma was torture. i like green tea and do enjoy the taste, well anyways not to run on and on but now i just limit myself to 2 small cups in the morning. oh and chocolate i'm a fiend!  :P
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline NewYorkKat

• Hangin' On Staying Strong
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2007, 12:01:27 pm »
cafe is a no no since it dehydrates you. Decaf herbal teas are best. Ginger, Green Tea are the best. Chocolate I am not sure but it's high in fat.

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 12:18:04 am »
i switched from coffee to green tea and went back to coffee when i didn't really notice any difference in sleeping better at night. my doctor of course suggest the switch and said i would sleep much better so i tried it for a few months. i missed it. my partner and roommate would have their morning coffee and the aroma was torture. i like green tea and do enjoy the taste, well anyways not to run on and on but now i just limit myself to 2 small cups in the morning. oh and chocolate i'm a fiend!  :P

Green tea, although having many positive qualities, is still a stimulant because it contains caffeine. Granted, less so than some other teas and definitely less than coffee. I tend to avoid green tea late afternoon/early evening so that it doesn't disturb my sleep. Instead I drink it in the morning or early afternoon. I opt for chamomile or rooibus (redbush) tea later on in the day, which are known for their calming sedative effects. I also drink at least a couple of litres of water a day.

I too am a chocolate fiend ;D but again usually try to avoid munching it in the evening. The right kind of chocolate does actually have some positive health benefits (no, I'm not just saying that cos I want it to be true!). I tend to eat the organic dark stuff (Green & Blacks, different flavours...yum!) unless I'm in the UK. Then I'm a sucker for Cadburys! ::) (which, admittedly, in excess is not so great for you or your waistline!).

I dont drink coffee cos I dont actually like it. But like most folk have said here, most things in moderation is fine. Plus from things I've read, the right kind of coffee has some health benefits too, again in moderation. If I did drink coffee though, I would avoid drinking it at night.

I'm also very aware of what foods to avoid at night (nightshade family etc)...sorry, me and insomnia used to be well aquainted!

I also think the psychological effect of having a little of what you fancy now and again is a positive thing for our health. Depriving yourself completely from something (unless of course allergic to that something) can have a very negative impact on stress levels and feelings of well-being. And if you dont believe me on that score, try the anti-candida diet!

Yeia kai hara! (health and happiness)
Melia :) 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 12:28:38 am by sweetasmeli »
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.