Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:02:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 353
Total: 354

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: POZ Personals  (Read 17588 times)

Offline alhn

• Everything Happens For Me..Not to me
POZ Personals
« on: December 15, 2008, 10:56:19 am »
It may be out of topic here but has anyone tried out POZ Personals?

I put up my profile there sometime back and seem to get a lot of military guys emailing me. One is at the stage of even asking me to marry him! I mean we only chat online and I have not even seen him. He is 42 and said that age is catching up and just have to settle down. Personally, I think relationship is more than just about age and the need to settle down simply for that reason.

And is it true that life for them in Iraq is so tough - to make a phone call, I have to send request to a certain website and pay a certain amount to Western Union & provide my ID in order for the request to be approved before he can make a call through SkyPORT or something . I just find it too fishy. But then I'm not sure as I do not know anyone in the Army to check on this...

Offline 27years

• What I did for love I will still do it for love
Re: POZ Personals
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 01:56:39 pm »
I actually had an encounter with one on Poz Personal and I figured it out that he wasnt in Iraq.  Be very careful.  Which army is he in?       
Nobody dies a virgin life screws us all up

Offline kajnjewel

• Living Life with a Passion!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 08:16:21 pm »
I thought I was making a profile to be able to use the forums and didn't realize I was actually in the personals.  Have been contacted by a few.  One even asked for money and I emailed back and put in the Topic line - RED FLAG, RED FLAG, RED FLAG and haven't heard from him since.  He was supposed to be working on a ship and be from the States - I have talked to a few from abroad as well.  Most want money or like you found out it costs money to find out more.

My main concern for you is that you are not looking for love in all of the wrong places as I did just because you are HIV+ and think that no one will ever accept you.  Been there sweetie - got burned very bad - even married the guy only to discover that he only thought he "could handle" my HIV status. 

I have learned anyone can type anything online,  it is when you actually meet them and look into their eyes (since the eyes are the windows to the soul) can one be sure and THEN given one's state of mind at the time they meet - as mine was - could still be wrong.

Just be careful, and good luck in your search for love.  Remember that you are ok - HIV/AIDS may be in your body - but You ARE not HIV/AIDS and there one can really and truly fall in love and lead a happy life with their soul mate or the love of their life IF the reasons are right.

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced; live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world will cry and you will rejoice!

Offline alhn

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 01:38:40 am »
27 years ,

I'm not sure what you mean by which army is he in? He just said he's based in Baghdad..Rest of the information is "strictly prohibited" as usual. He even went on to say that he has deleted his profile on POZ because of me as if to impress me!

here is a sample extract of the email reply ( after I decided to try to test out where it actually come from). I tested by sending the request to the email he gave me which is " armyvoice@aol.com"

Note that they even requested for ID! ( I am certainly not going to that extend!)

********************************************************************************
Good Day,

Your message received via SF/ AKO/ Sergeant Banks Clarkson /E-5
We need your phone number and your area code, we shall start the processing as soon as your request is confirmed.

You are duly permitted to make a payment worth of $155  to the underneath WU account details, and have your copied ID attachment scan via email, for us to endorse your application with the immediate release of the Telcomm paper works.
Installation will be done as soon as possible via Sate lite 180000KHz surface from Iraq Skyport Telcomm base interconnectivity to  your location.

THE WESTERN UNION ACCOUNT DETAIL.

RECEIVER'S NAME: KELLY BLEVINS
ADDRESS:TAZEWELL TN,USA

And you send us the Western Union MTCN details as given.

SKYPORT CONFIGURATION DETAILS AND SOFTWARE ROUTINE CODE WILL BE DISPATCH TO YOU AFTER SERVICES PAYMENT FOR THE CONNECTION.

Thanks for the consideration.

Regards,

Baghdad Phonning Inc.

Offline 27years

• What I did for love I will still do it for love
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 02:48:47 am »
Thats very suspicious I think its a scam.  Army email addresses are not like that.  The reason i asked which army is, I have got friends serving so I could get you full information about their phoning system. 
Nobody dies a virgin life screws us all up

tendai

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 06:03:45 am »
sounds like a scam to me..

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 07:46:28 am »
Sounds like a scam to me too, but with a grain of truth in it here and there. There is an outfit called Skyport that is providing links to service-people in Iraq with their families back home - but no mention of charges to the family. Looks like the USO and three US based companies pick up the tab. Western Union has nothing to do with it.

http://www.skyportglobal.com/releases/telepresence.php

http://www.skyportglobal.com/about/aboutUs.php

"Baghdad Phonning Inc." does not exist. Neither does the correctly spelled "Baghdad Phoning Inc."

Googling the email address you wrote to (armyvoice...) brings no hits. Zero. If this were a legit email address that families needed to contact to set up a connection with their people in Iraq, there would have been plenty  of hits. But, nada. Ziltch. Zippo.

This sounds like a twist on some well-known western union scams out there:

http://scams.flipshark.com/westernunion.html

http://www.racingjunk.com/s/scams

Don't give this guy any more of your details - I'd cut off all further contact with him. In fact, I'd also contact POZ personals and let them know what's going on. There's a link on the front page of the personals that leads to a box which says:

Avoid scammers
Scammers are becoming an increasing problem on POZ Personals. Here are some tips on how not to get duped:

· Trust your instincts! If it doesn't seem right, it probably isn't.

· Any POZ Personals member who is asking you for money is either a scammer or is simply violating POZ Personals rules on soliciting.

· NEVER give out personal information such as Social Security numbers, bank account numbers, credit card account numbers, etc.

· Report all scammers to personals@poz.com. Make sure you include their username and any messages they sent to you. We need your help to catch them!

Don't get scammed!

Ann

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 08:09:11 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline happycat

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 10:58:35 am »
I use that site www.poz.com  and it is one of the better ones! Anyone tried www.datepoz.net?   95% of the profiles there are fake and 50% are duplicate profiles.Some guy even told me that  written text on his own profile wasnt written by him.procced with caution my advice!!!

Offline armybent

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 01:45:18 pm »
It's a scam!

Offline bluebird

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 04:31:19 pm »
Hi everyone

Brand new on here - nice to meet all of you :)

I have tried poz personals, and have made some good friends.  But yes there are plenty of scammers too.  A few who are trying to sell "cures" for HIV (but just want to let me in on the big secret) :-\  What you describe definitely sounds dodgy to me......

Offline rachel2008

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 08:59:56 pm »
Africa, Nigeria, Iraq . . . . .

Be very skeptical of anyone who is asking for money, it is a scam.  What normal person would want to be married so quickly with out knowing the other person???

Try HIV.net - less scammers.  Good Luck if it sounds to good to be true it is, but don't lose hope good natured people in our predicament do exist.

Offline alhn

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 09:10:16 pm »
Thanks Ann. I will do the necessary reporting to the email you provided.

I did google for some information on Skyport. Yes, it is indeed used for communications in the military base.
And yes, Baghdad Phoning Inc doesnt exist too. That's when I really think it's scam.

I have cut off all communications with this guy. His profile can no longer be found in personals anyway!
But he still has a Yahoo IM ID that carries that same name : Sgt Banks Clarkson.
His story goes like this in a brief - 42 yrs old, desperately need to settle down, has one sister in New Zion and his dream is to open a restaurant.

So girls (new or old to POZ personals, do becareful).

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 06:14:03 am »
alhn, you're welcome! :)

I can't help but wonder if this guy's profile has been yanked by poz.com because someone else reported him. I know you mentioned he said he pulled it himself "for you", but that could very well be a story to cover his tracks.

It's such a shame that internet dating sites are plagued by scammers - especially the ones who prey on people with health conditions. Some people are just sick in the head.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bluebird

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 04:34:06 am »
Hi everyone

I found this site - it has a database of known scammers. 

http://www.romancescam.com/forum/portal.php

I was really shocked - quite a few of the guys I recognized from Poz personals.  There are lots of stories too from people who have been duped by these same people.  Maybe, if someone gets in touch with you, it might pay to check this site and see if you recognize any of them. 

Cheers and safe surfing.....

Offline rachel2008

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 10:38:05 am »
Thanks bluebird for the link to the website . . . who knew!!!

Offline coiyass

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 08:21:23 pm »
I have used poz personals and have talked to some pretty interesting people. I have made some penpal friends that live in other states.  And I actually have a date this coming monday to meet a guy for coffee, he lives in my hometown and he seems pretty nice and we have somethings in common. I have also gotten replies from men who are in Nigeria, London that ask for marriage after a couple of emails which I find suspicious.

Another annoying thing is some guys will send you flirts and after you dont reply they continue to send flirts every other day. I had to tell this one guy to stop sending me flirts because I am not interested. It seems some of the men on there are pretty desperate.

You might also try positivesingles.com thats a website for people who are positive for a different STD's including hiv. I have meet a nice guy on there also he was not my type but he was a nice gentlemen. I would not trust anyone who says they are in the army and wants you to send money to talk to them on the phone that sounds like a scam to me.

Offline purpledragonfly

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 09:29:25 am »
I have had a lot of men say they are in the millitary and are overseas. I asked a question a few weeks ago here in the living with forum and got the answer i was looking for. The US does alllow you to stay in the millitary if you can still do your job. But they will not deploy you overseas. If you get hiv while you are overseas you will be brought back to the states to finish your tour of duty.
There is a huge problem on Poz. Personals with scammers. Every one i have talked to online from poz. personal have been a scammer. I wish they would do a better back ground check on people. Two yrs. ago i had to get the post office, police and the FBI involved because of a man that was from Nigerea and scamming people. I am very careful who i talk to on that dating site.
If it seems to good to be true, it usually is.

Wendy

bleueyes

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 11:23:26 am »
Some guy tried telling me he ws in the military and I just ignored his emails.  Lots of people including women will say they deleted their personals profile, it is just a way to get you to reply quicker. 
All I think is happening is he is trying to hard to get you to marry him.  Maybe he is in trouble, needs citizenship or is worried about never having children.
I can not tell... my experience here is not too good to be giving advice, but I read another post on here about a women meeting her husband online.  Excuse me for mentioning another post which is not mine, but maybe you should try to ask her a few things. 

Offline alhn

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 10:47:58 pm »
I have made reports to POZ personals on such cases which I think its scam.  The guy just doesn't seem interested enough to get to know me better other than desperately need me to call him or help him activate the "account" to do so. We are miles away and I don't think it makes sense for him to say he "love" me or that I'm the one when we have not even met and hardly communicated.

Of course I don't condemn all guys in POZ just because of a few 'rotten eggs' I experienced. I do admit that I have made a few good friends from some and there has been sincere relationships.  ;)

Offline alhn

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 10:50:31 pm »
Wendy, I am sorry to hear to read what you had experienced before. I know it can be devastating.

I don't think POZ Personals can do much checking since the site is free to all and they don't require anyone to send in any documents as proof etc.

Offline kajnjewel

• Living Life with a Passion!
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 11:42:01 pm »
SO sorry you have had such a bad experience with Poz personals.  I, for one, have had some good and bad experiences with it.  However, as with any online peronsals one must learn how to weed out the good from the bad.  The only problem is sometimes it hurts like all get out.

I recently was in the personals and got a few responses.  I didn't realize I had posted in it at first until I started getting some responses.  I even put  in my profile I wasn't looking for a LTR and was jsut looking to chat with other PWAs.  I thought I needed to make a profile to be able to use the boards.  I have since taken my name off the personals.  But I will say I have met someone through the POZ personals that has become very special to me; so, sometimes we can and do meet that special someone through such avenues. 

We just need to ask questions like you did, learn from our experiences and who knows, that special someone just may show up when we least expect it.

When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced; live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world will cry and you will rejoice!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.