Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:41:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773212
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 485
Total: 488

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: PLEASE, EXPERTS, HELP!!!!!!!!!  (Read 21696 times)

Offline istremadura

Re: PLEASE, EXPERTS, HELP!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2009, 11:59:42 am »
First, I want to say thank you.
Second, I want to apologize.
Third, I want to say thank you again.

After all these illegitimate fears, I had a day off today and something in me helped me get the nerve to go out and get a rapid Hiv test - much to none of the EXPERTS (and I do mean EXPERTS) surprise, it was negative.  I also met with a counselor there, and she set me up with an outpatient meeting with a clinical psychologist to discuss my obvious irrational level of anxiety about sex/hiv/the combination, etc.

I want to say thank you because you guys are amazing - you take time out of your lives, on a daily basis, to help people like myself, as well as, more importantly, people with legitimate concerns.  It's invaluable.  You're helping people whose faces you'll most likely never see; that's a true mark of humanitarianism.
And I want to apologize that I didn't heed your advice earlier.  You guys are the best.  Be well, and in a heartfelt manner, I say - THANK YOU.

Offline istremadura

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2009, 12:05:37 pm »
Just one question I did have about the test - being the anxious person I am - I got the oral swab test - she had me swab the top and lower gum in my mouth - am I correct in assuming that had I not done an adequate job of swabbing my upper and lower mouth, that the control line would not have shown up?  If that is the case, I am certainly willing to accept my negative result, by the way!!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2009, 12:15:59 pm »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline istremadura

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2009, 12:17:51 pm »
Rod, did you read my posts?

One I was saying thank you and I was wrong.
And the other was just making sure that in a rapid test, the control line only shows up if you did an adequate job of swabbing your mouth, right?

I wasn't asking the same no-risk questions!!  I know i was an idiot previously!!!
And I have an outpatient appointment in 2 weeks!!! :)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2009, 12:20:09 pm »
Move on. You have your Warnings. Enough is enough. We won't listen you you questioning your test.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2009, 01:24:15 pm »
Your test was reliable. You're HIV negative.

This is not the place to deal with your anxiety. See a professional for that.

You can't keep coming back here again with "just one more one" when you've reliably tested negative.

If you do you're going to get a Time Out. Consider yourself warned.
Andy Velez

Offline istremadura

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2009, 01:56:32 pm »
Hey Andy - thanks.

That post above was serious - I do have an outpatient appt. scheduled in 2 weeks with a psychologist - they had me meet with a counselor as my 20 min. test was going....she gave me a few good names to choose from, I did, and together we set-up an appt.
I wasn't here refuting my results, and I'm not going to come back in a few days saying "should i wait another 10 weeks, etc...."  My question was just more of a scientific one about what the control specifically meant, etc.....anyway, I now am 100% sure that it was reliable, and again, I thank you all for your time, help and patience; and I apologize if what I posted today came off the wrong way; introspection is key, and in that regard, I feel like I've made a strong first step in acknowledging that my fear is irrational and that I need some outside help.
Ihope you all are doing well. 
Tahnks again for everything.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2009, 03:33:51 pm »
OK. Good. Get on with your life and getting the help that you need. Clearly HIV infection is not your problem.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline istremadura

« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2009, 02:38:57 pm »
Hey guys - so I met with a counselor, and I thought it helped me for a bit, but here I am again - she tried helping me and told me that I had abstracted HIV to beign something larger than life for some reason and that was the basis of my fears....I meet with her once a month about this and other obsessive concerns I have - - but here I am again - I have another situation to ask you about -

I went to a strip club, first time in a hwile, thinking I would be ok to handle it - anyway, got a lap dance from a girl - she was not wearing any underwear -s he grinded on me pretty hard, and at the end, I didn't ejaculate, but there was considerable "wetness" on my pants and my boxers felt damp as well - as well, the friction caused a slight cut around my glans - is this any reason to be concerned at all?  Should I consider testing at all?  Thanks for your help.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2009, 03:25:57 pm »
You've been coming here long enough and had enough answers so that I am confident you know the answer to those questions, right?

No risk. Period.

Get yourself the kind of serious help with your problem. We can't provide that for you here. And we're not going to indlulge in a more back and forth about this.
Andy Velez

Offline istremadura

? Occupational Exposure....Andy, experts, please respond...
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2010, 06:42:49 pm »
Hey guys - I work in the medical field.....have a history of concern with hiv risks...

anyway, was changing a gentleman's abdominal wound packing the other day (the patient is hiv positive) - i wore gloves during this - anyway, after pulling it out, I then went to open a new packing container - as I pulled hard to open the container, my hands got quite close to my face and I thought I felt some of the blood on my gloves hit my face (I had to pull rather hard and inadvertently pulled towards me).....I didn't have a ton of blood on my gloves, but I thought I felt something hit my face....should I be concerned that if some of the blood on my gloves came up towards me it may have gotten in my eye? risky? should i test/be worried?

thanks.

Offline RapidRod

Re: ? Occupational Exposure....Andy, experts, please respond...
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2010, 07:06:14 pm »
 Please do not start a new thread every time you have another question or thought - regardless if you think your questions are related to each other or not. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Additional threads will be merged.

 If you cannot find your thread, click on the "Show own posts" link in the left-hand column of any forum page, under your name.

Offline istremadura

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2010, 07:33:22 pm »
Hey guys - I work in the medical field.....have a history of concern with hiv risks...

anyway, was changing a gentleman's abdominal wound packing the other day (the patient is hiv positive) - i wore gloves during this - anyway, after pulling it out, I then went to open a new packing container - as I pulled hard to open the container, my hands got quite close to my face and I thought I felt some of the blood on my gloves hit my face (I had to pull rather hard and inadvertently pulled towards me).....I didn't have a ton of blood on my gloves, but I thought I felt something hit my face....should I be concerned that if some of the blood on my gloves came up towards me it may have gotten in my eye? risky? should i test/be worried?

thanks.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2010, 08:06:07 pm »
No risk and no reason to test.

Offline istremadura

« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2010, 12:48:05 am »
so nothing to worry about? just a theoretical risk? i did have quite a bit of blood on my gloves that may have come up.... 

thank you for your help.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2010, 07:59:53 am »
Man, you are really stretching with what ifs on your latest. There was no risk.

I am going to warn you that you are on the verge of getting a Time Out here. The few very real risks for HIV transmission have been explained to you repeatedly directly as well as in the lesson on Transmission.

You need to apply that information as you forward in your life. We are not here to respond anew everytime you have another anxious moment.
Andy Velez

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2010, 08:24:16 am »
And I have just merged your threads as I hadn't noticed you had begun another one. Please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread.

You have been given the basics about HIV transmission. So stop with the fanciful what ifs or you will very quickly find yourself with a Time Out from the site. Consider yourself warned.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.