Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:41:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 638
Total: 639

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mail order meds  (Read 3241 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Mail order meds
« on: September 19, 2006, 09:06:29 am »
I have been getting my meds by mail order for years.

My former employer used Caremark. I never really had a problem with them.

My current employer uses PharmaCare. If their service during the past two prescription orders is any indication, they suck.

I tried to use their "convenient" web site to reorder my meds. I changed the delivery to my office, because I'm never home when UPS tries to deliver them, ordered easy-open caps and for the co-pays to be charged to a credit card.

Well, three weeks, two phone calls and a lot of angst later, I finally got them. They were sent to the wrong address, meaning after three tries, I had to go pick them up from the UPS office.

They didn't have the easy open caps. They didn't charge the co-pays to the credit card and now have sent me a bill.

I have been getting my Crixivan in 180-capsule bottles for more than a decade. Now, suddenly, they send me 90-capsule bottles. So, I have six bottles of pills to store rather than three.

Has anyone else run across these new, smaller bottles of Crixivan? With the counterfeit drug scare of a year ago still in mind, I wonder if this is something new or should I call and find out if these are the real thing.

I am so uphappy with this service I am tempted to start using my local pharmacy and say screw the mail order crap.

I know it would be more expensive, but that's what I have a flex account for.

UGH

Mark
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 09:11:16 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: Mail order meds
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 09:10:12 am »
I am so uphappy with this service I am tempted to start using my local pharmacy and say screw the mail order crap.

my eyes lit up when i saw your subjectline, but yeah, it seems more of a hassle than a convenience. better you stick to face-to-face transactions. just my 2cents

Offline libvet

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 09:52:31 am »
my eyes lit up when i saw your subjectline, but yeah, it seems more of a hassle than a convenience. better you stick to face-to-face transactions. just my 2cents

I'd prefer to visit my local pharmacy as well, but like many plans, I pay the same copay for a 90 day supply via mail order as a 30 day supply at retail.

If you are taking 3 different medications and have a copay of 30 dollars, you'd be spending an $270 every three months at a local pharmacy versus $90 dollars using mail order.   

And some plans are even worse than that although some are better.  I was on my partner's plan for a short while when I was unemployed and tried their mail order service and ended up paying a copay for every 30 day supply regardless, so there wasn't much point in using mail-order. 

My experiences with mail-order have been mostly positive, however. 

Michael

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 10:27:08 am »
The co-pay thing works a bit differently with this plan too. If I could get a three-month supply for a single co-pay, then the cost difference would be worth it.

But, I have to pay a double copay (equivalent to two months if bought by the month) for a three-month supply.

The first time I used this service, they refused to fill one prescription, saying it wasn't covered. They sent a notice with the rest of the shipment saying a letter would follow in a few days with the script that was not covered and a letter of explanation.

That letter arrived two months later.

This doesn't bode well.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 04:55:51 pm »
My pharmacist delivers them do my door, after calling me to confirm I'll be home. I guess when one generates $1500 a month in business, some perks are attached. Additionally, onn my last batch of meds, one of them had come to the end of the doctor prescribed renewals. The pharmacist also took it upon himself to confirm with my doctor that a renewal was a-ok, after first contacting me to ask for my permission to do so. There are some really great people doing work out there who actually give a damn. I guess I've been rather lucky!

Though I like the potential convenience of using the web to place orders and receive them in the mail, what could possibly stay me from this present relationship? Get thee to a pharmacy, where you can get real pharma care :)

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 06:37:35 pm »
I personally prefer to pick up my prescriptions at the pharmacy.  However, the company I work for recently changed their plan where if it's maintenance drugs, you have to order through CareMark.  Great... so, now not only do I have to have my Fuzeon sent to work in this huge ass box, I have to have the remaining of my meds sent to work.

I was so upset about this... I feel it's intruding on my privacy, because I can't have them delivered to my home, because morons steal crap, and the HOA office closes at 4:30... I get home at 6:30... they open at 9 or 10, and I leave the house at 8:30....

Oh well, in the end, it's saving me, because I have the outside source helping me with my copays now.

But Mark, You may want to talk to a supervisor and explain to them your worries and what has been happening.  Maybe after you shed the light on the amount of business you are giving them, they will be a little more understanding.  At least one would hope so.

Good luck.
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 07:06:27 pm »
Hello Mark,

I wanted to wish you the BEST on your decision that you need to make. Both mail-order and face-to-face pharmacy has it's pro's and it's con's. At least at the pharmacy, they can get it right the first time while you are there with them face-to-face. I currently get my meds through a pharmacy here in town.

Have the BEST Day!

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 07:11:51 pm »
Mark

I made an attempt to use mail order for my scripts. . . . ONCE.  I'll never do it again!   >:(

The delivery was delayed, the billing was screwed up, the quantities were shorted, which meant I had to pay additional shipping for the remainder.

Though I haven't used the service you mentioned, my PDP (Humana) is constanly approaching me about switching to their mail order.  My secondary insurance RX benefit is administered by. . . Medco (the evil empire I mentioned I tried once), they do the same thing when I call to ask about my reimbursement for my co-pays, deducts. etc.  "Well, let me look here.  Hmm, I don't see that claim.  Are you sure your pharmacy submitted it?  You know, if you'd use our mail order service. . . . .blah blah blah"   ::)

Long story short, I use a pharmacy right near me.  I think I'm their only HIV customer, but they go our of their way to take care of me (one time the owner came to my home to deliver something they couldn't give me the day before and kept apologizing all over the place).  They have  spoiled me rotten. They bill Humana effortlessly, I pay the deduct/co-pay and they bill the secondary automatically so I can be reimbursed quickly.  There's something to be said for the face to face customer service.  I like it and it's where I'm staying.  (Course I don't have to pay more like you'd have to.)

RAB

(who liked it even better when he paid for everything up front [pre Medicare D], was always reimbursed 2 weeks later, and racked up 5,000 airlines miles every month.  Boy do I miss those miles!   >:()

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 07:25:47 pm »
Hello Mark,

Sorry to hear about the problems you've been having getting your prescription meds, especially since you have been getting them mailed for quite a while.

I am not familiar with Pharma care.  I have Cigna for my HMO. At least twice a month I receive a letter from them, informing me that they would like me to start purchasing my meds on the three month basis, and have them mailed to me.

While I know this could save me some on the co-pay, the whole idea, still makes nervous. I still prefer to pick up my meds from the pharmacy. Walgreens has been pretty good, at keeping the meds stocked and ready for me, when I am ready to refill. Even though they have made error with pill counts, a couple times through the years, but they allways correct it fast !!

Perhaps a little more communication with these people may help to remedy the problems you are having, if not then maybe its time to switch from mail order. Hope things work out for you.

Good luck-----------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 11:47:36 pm »
I, too, have resisted the mail order option.  Like Mark, my mail order gives a 90 day supply for a double copay ($60 per script.)  If it were a single copay, even I would have to weigh that more heavily.  I use Walgreens.  They are around the corner, they know me.  If I travel anywhere in the nation where they are located I can get a replacement on the spot.  I am probably the only HIV customer at my Walgreens and so I surely must be a "gold standard" customer.  It would drive me nuts trying to manage delivery and worrying if orders got screwed up...that seems to never happen with Walgreens.  It's worth the extra money to me (just like Rocky) to not worry.

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.