Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 06:04:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 166
Total: 167

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV infection with condom use  (Read 22845 times)

Offline srmn98

HIV infection with condom use
« on: October 14, 2006, 08:09:00 pm »
Hello,

I have a curious question. Although I do not have my viral counts or my CD4 counts, my western blot said that I am HIV positive. I am accepting this and taking all the proper steps.

I understand HOW I was infected is not important and that I just need to move forward.

But I cannot help be curious, there is little information on the web. Does anybody know of cases where somebody is infected with proper condom use ?  I am a heterosexual female. I have never used drugs or had a blood transfusion.

My boyfriends that I did not use condoms with have all been tested and are all negative. With all other partners (not very many),  I used condoms. I never had a condom break, I never had vaginal contact with fluids. I used latex condoms. What are the statistics on HIV transmission from male to female when condoms are used correctly ? I always thought that condoms were nearly 99% effective... did I just fall into the 1%  ?

Thanks,

s

Offline RapidRod

Re: HIV infection with condom use
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 08:15:10 pm »
If you used a condom correctly like you said and there was no breakage then you didn't contract HIV in that manner.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 08:17:01 pm »
Hi SR,

I've moved your thread from the Am I Infected forum as that wasn't really that approprate place for this discussion.

Correctly used condoms have been proven to prevent hiv transmission. Hiv does NOT pass through an intact condom.

There are only two things I can think of in your case that might have led to your infection despite condom use.  One is maybe there was a condom that broke that you weren't made aware of. The other thing is that perhaps not all the men who you didn't use condoms with have been honest with you.

There is also the possibility that you were one of the rare people who was infected through giving a blowjob. It is rare that this happens, but it does now and again.

The best thing now is to concentrate on today and the future.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline srmn98

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 08:21:10 pm »
Thanks, Ann.

Sorry if I posted in the wrong spot... intaking a lot of information all at once and trying to be respectful of this board as it is a godsend right now.

Thanks for the response. The two boyfriends did show me their test results ... and I always checked the condoms. Guess maybe sometimes we fear the very thing that we cannot avoid.

I incorrectly (ignorantly) thought the possibility of oral transmission was negligible. Will have to do some more research on that. thanks for the info.

s

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 08:24:58 pm »
SR,

The risk for giving blowjobs IS negligible and unlikely, but it does seem to happen once in a blue moon. A broken condom is a more likely culprit.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline HHJ1976

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 09:39:24 am »
I agree with Ann on this one.  It doesn't sound like all of your ex-partners were honest with you on their test results.

At this point, though, who gave it to you is irrelevant.  Ten to one says that he now knows his status, anyways, and if he has a conscience, that's his demon to face.

The important thing for you is to start living your life with your diagnosis.  Tell people when you are ready, but don't let the mystery of how you got it interfere with the life you have to live.

The rest of your life starts today.  How are you going to live it?
HHJ

Offline Esquare

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 01:06:43 pm »
One thing to consider. I've thought about if a certain former partner calls and asks if I have had a test or ask if I am posititive because they are that I may be untruthful and tell them no on both. The reason being that it doesn't help anything in their case if they know or not and that particular person is one who's life has always been an open book to everyone around her. I just don't want to get my status outed in that manner.

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 11:03:55 pm »
its possible thru oral if you have gum disease(bleeding gums/poor gums) and you are performing the act and person (guy) cums in your mouth.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 05:45:22 am »
There is said to be a minute chance. But more than likely you would have contracted HIV by a much more riskier event. Unprotected anal sex/unprotected vaginal sex or using someone Else's works.

Offline AIDS2HIV

• www.aids2hiv.com
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 09:15:15 am »
Correct condom usage without breakage is 100% safe. Ive seen numerous studies of serodiscordant couples, Ive done alot of condom research myself. You may read elsewhere they arent 100%, only because they factor into the statistics "UNCORRECT usage,resulting in breakage" and/or unsafe activity BEFORE or AFTER the condom was used. Strip away all the bullshit, the money and politics, and the fact remains Latex or Polyurethane condoms WILL and DO protect you and your partner from HIV 100%, when used CORRECTLY and CONSISTANTLY, FROM START TO FINISH.

Keep in mind....everything you read or find about HIV, is not always accurate truth*
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 09:17:36 am by AIDS2HIV »
Its the future of Hiv Education, and Resources www.aids2hiv.com      Got Community?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 08:40:23 am »
SR, I can appreciate the nagging thoughts you're having about how becoming infected happened. I also encourage you to not linger very long over this because what's most important is that you are getting proper medical care now and making all the necessary efforts to keep you healthy.

Also, any of the guys you were with who said they are/were HIV negative may have done so in good faith. But an HIV test result is only reliable if done at the proper time and with no subsequent risks. Very unfortunately, approximately half of those who are HIV positive these days have not been tested and don't know their HIV status accurately.

In any case, I again urge you to focus on here and now and moving forward. You're always welcome here to ask questions as well as to discuss anything that's on your mind.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.