Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:54:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773195
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 433
Total: 436

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Today is Dining out for Life  (Read 5623 times)

Offline buginme2

Today is Dining out for Life
« on: April 28, 2011, 04:05:52 pm »
Head out to a participating restaurant and a portion of the proceeds benefit HIV/AIDS organizatiins.

www.diningoutforlife.com
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Today is Dining out for Life
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 05:44:57 pm »
Because there's nothing more important than allowing rich white liberals to assuage their guilt whilst indulging their gluttony.

MtD

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 06:00:56 pm »
Because there's nothing more important than allowing rich white liberals to assuage their guilt whilst indulging their gluttony.

MtD

Isnt that what philanthropy means? Money is money.  Who do you expect to fund non profits? The government?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 06:11:48 pm »
Isnt that what philanthropy means? Money is money.  Who do you expect to fund non profits? The government?

Sadly, it seems that is precisely what philanthropy has come to mean. Why separating the wealthy from a couple of hundred bucks per well heeled couple has to involve some tacky, truffle oil soaked event emblazoned with corporate logos is a bit beyond me.

And why shouldn't government fund, at least in part, the non profits? If the US is anything like Australia government seems pretty keen to throw public dollars at all manner of non profits -- often "faith based groups".

MtD

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 06:18:55 pm »
Why separating the wealthy from a couple of hundred bucks per well heeled couple has to involve some tacky, truffle oil soaked event emblazoned with corporate logos is a bit beyond me.

Whatever it takes.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 06:19:01 pm »

And why shouldn't government fund, at least in part, the non profits? If the US is anything like Australia government seems pretty keen to throw public dollars at all manner of non profits -- often "faith based groups".

MtD

My HIV clinic gets both public and private funding, via Ryan White grants, State of PA Dept. of Health as well as the city's own Dept. of Health.  In fact just this week they opened a computer lab aimed at low income patients funded with federal stimulus money, and money from the city.

Also recently voted top fundraising cause by the Philadelphia Gay News (small newspaper) and also benefits from Dining Out for Life which from what I've read is the biggest attended fundraiser by the restaurant industry.  And no, it's not just white people dining out... that would be hard since white people are a minority group demographically here.

Can't speak for other localities, of course.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 06:39:50 pm »
And not to poo poo rich white people, but the Gates Foundation (rich white people) spend more money each year on AIDS than many rich governments do.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 06:43:59 pm »
Thank god some one is finally standing up for rich white people , bout time . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 06:54:59 pm »
Hey i'll start singing the virtues of America next.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 07:04:57 pm »
Whatever it takes.

Wumpy, the almost revolutionary. I'm a bit disappointed you couldn't crank the dial all the way to 11 with "By Any Means Necessary."

My HIV clinic gets both public and private funding, via Ryan White grants, State of PA Dept. of Health as well as the city's own Dept. of Health.  In fact just this week they opened a computer lab aimed at low income patients funded with federal stimulus money, and money from the city.

Also recently voted top fundraising cause by the Philadelphia Gay News (small newspaper) and also benefits from Dining Out for Life which from what I've read is the biggest attended fundraiser by the restaurant industry.  And no, it's not just white people dining out... that would be hard since white people are a minority group demographically here.

Can't speak for other localities, of course.

And this, children, is why liberals suck. Always prepared to settle for less.

Do-gooder tit wanks like "Dining Out for Life" don't do anything to address the real problems ie the structural inequalities which entrench poverty. They allow those who could to something substantial an easy way out through letting them think they've done their part.

As for computer labs for the povs, I'm presuming the homeless are allowed to sleep under the desks on chillier evenings?

And not to poo poo rich white people, but the Gates Foundation (rich white people) spend more money each year on AIDS than many rich governments do.

Really? Got some numbers for that assertion?

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 07:13:37 pm »
There's something very odd about being lectured about race by a citizen of a country that was still kidnapping non-white children up through the 1970's.  How'd that work out for you guys? :-*
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 07:15:11 pm »
There's something very odd about being lectured about race by a citizen of a country that was still kidnapping non-white children up through the 1970's.  How'd that work out for you guys? :-*

We stopped doing it. These days we just send 'em to gaol. :)

MtD

Online J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 08:11:01 pm »

The beneficiary of  today's "Dining out, is ASAP.  "Aids Service Association of Pinellas".  And we need all the help we can get in this county:

http://cltampa.com/dailyloaf/archives/2011/04/27/dining-out-for-life-apr-28-eat-out-fight-aids

We had a quite a few participating restaurants

http://www.diningoutforlife.com/tampabay/participating

Yes, we're grateful for their participation, and we sure can use the financial support.

Ray

« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 08:13:54 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline PozJeepGuy

• Facebook - Jacob Perry
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2011, 12:43:43 am »
Dining out for life is a great way for people to get involved.  My restaurant today participated and it was honestly moving to see how many people in a rural area actually came out and support us.  Personally I saw alot of good in people today and went to show that stigma of HIV is decreasing  more and more with time. 
Jake

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 01:11:25 am »
There was a big uproar here a few years ago over this.  The organization wanted the restaurant, Max and Erma's to get involved.  After all, they had participated in just about every other fundraising for every other disease/illness.  They refused to participate with Dine Out For Life, because they didn't want to catch teh AIDS from all the AIDS touching the forks and plates.  They thought every AIDS patient in the tri-state area would be coming to eat there.  It was a huge story on the news here for days.  I think they finally gave in.  I'm not sure why anyone would want to eat there in the first place.  It has now gone out of business--at least here in Louisville.  Maybe Karma is real.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 01:12:30 pm »

MtD

These types of events seem to me to be a very inefficient way of raising money.  If the people who purchased dinner would instead just donate the entire amount they would havec paid for dinner directly, they would be contributing a lot more money to those charities.  I know not everyone is going to do that, but I wish more people would.  It shouldn't require an event or a quid pro quo for people to give. 

That said, I understand that charities need to find unique ways to coax people into giving, and that every little bit helps.  And publicized events can help to create awareness.  Still, I'm hoping that participants in these events don't feel like this alone constitutes "doing their part".

Regards,

Henry

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 12:37:06 am »
These types of events seem to me to be a very inefficient way of raising money.  If the people who purchased dinner would instead just donate the entire amount they would havec paid for dinner directly, they would be contributing a lot more money to those charities.  I know not everyone is going to do that, but I wish more people would.  It shouldn't require an event or a quid pro quo for people to give. 

That said, I understand that charities need to find unique ways to coax people into giving, and that every little bit helps.  And publicized events can help to create awareness.  Still, I'm hoping that participants in these events don't feel like this alone constitutes "doing their part".

Regards,

Henry

Yeah, it is similar to all the silent auctions or regular auctions charities have.  People enjoy getting something in return for their donations, often times.  Oh, and you have to have a fancy meal, too.  Here in Louisville during Derby, there are a few charity events where A-list and D-list celebrities come the night before Derby.  The celebrities rarely give anything.  In fact, their travel and accomadations are usually paid for to entice them to show up.  One charity came under scrutiny and investigation, because so much of the money went out in overhead.  It was just one big celebrity event and something like only 10% went to the charity.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 12:24:15 pm »

That said, I understand that charities need to find unique ways to coax people into giving, and that every little bit helps. 

Spot on. Perhaps alot of the people who attend Dining for Life wouldn't normally give to an AIDS charity in the traditional means (sending a check for $30, etc...). Not to mention during DFL these restaraunts are collecting donations from patrons who don't care one way or another about AIDS Charities. That's a good thing, and substantial sums of money are raised with these functions

It's similar to the Cookbook sales for our AMG Grants Committee, it's merely another tool to try to drum up donations from people who otherwise may not have donated, or may not have alot of money to donate. People like to "get things" in exchange for their money, even if it's a nominal donation amount, and these nominal amounts add up to big money.

I'm sure all charities would like to have an over abundance of straight conventional donations and not have to utilize these unique avenues of fundraising, but unfortunately this is the real world and that is not always going to happen and the proof is in the pudding these types of events bring in substantial untapped donations.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.