Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:28:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 476
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 343
Total: 343

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: nursing school  (Read 3345 times)

Offline gatorbye

nursing school
« on: July 19, 2008, 09:52:34 am »
hello everyone..

i am taking my nursing prereqs for nursing school next fall and i want to work as a cna (certified nurse aide) for the time being till i finish nursing school ..

now on the form that i need to fill out, one of the Qs is that, it is asking me what type of medications i am taking and what those meds for? should i put my meds on there and write it down that its for my being positive health reasons?

thanks a lot...

more power to  yall :)

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
Re: nursing school
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 10:03:07 am »
You coulf be non-specific and state that you're taking anti-viral medication for a viral infection.

Good luck with your studies.
It's a complex world

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 10:17:42 am »
I know quite a few HIV poz nurses here in California, who went through school with the administration knowing they were poz. It was really a non-issue.

Good luck to you!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 10:35:43 am »
I have to agree it's a non-issue.

Offline gatorbye

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 11:04:56 am »
thanks guys...but do i really have to specify what meds i am taking? this is the site where i have to fill up the form and send it to them. http://www.redcrossrelief.org/American%20Red%20Cross%20Courses%20NAT%20Eval.htm

Offline Sky

• Myspace
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 09:48:43 pm »
Hey man I just graduated from nursing school.  I was totally open about my status while in school just in case something should have happened during clinicals.  You can definitely put the meds down, it will not hurt ya in anyway.  I don't see the need to state the reason as to why you are on them...the school can look them up if they care that freaking much.

Now when you begin working it's a different story.  I am not open about my status AT ALL at work.  Only classmates from school that I work with know.  The medical community still looks down upon HIV+ people, regardless of their education.
Poz since 2003.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 11:47:34 am »
hello everyone..

i am taking my nursing prereqs for nursing school next fall and i want to work as a cna (certified nurse aide) for the time being till i finish nursing school ..

now on the form that i need to fill out, one of the Qs is that, it is asking me what type of medications i am taking and what those meds for? should i put my meds on there and write it down that its for my being positive health reasons?

thanks a lot...

more power to  yall :)

i would say if the form asks what medications you're on, simply write down the med names and let whomever figure it out for themselves. it's your call

Offline GemInEyes

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 09:42:49 am »
Just curious - just ran across this post and wondering how everything went for you??

I read what you wrote...and looked at your link...  And I can not believe it is even possible that they can actually do that - and maybe it isn't.  Are you sure they aren't breaking a law?  I understand getting a clearance from your medical provider that you do not have anything that is communicable and that you are healthy enough to perform the tasks of a health care assistant.  However, I believe it is a violation of your privacy to expect you to self-disclose your medications and the reasons you are currently taking them.

If you have any activist interest, I would bring that form to a local ASO and find out if there is someone who could look into the legality of that form.  If it isn't legal, they should be made to change their practices.

Just a thought.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 10:04:57 am »
Just curious - just ran across this post and wondering how everything went for you??

I read what you wrote...and looked at your link...  And I can not believe it is even possible that they can actually do that - and maybe it isn't.  Are you sure they aren't breaking a law?  I understand getting a clearance from your medical provider that you do not have anything that is communicable and that you are healthy enough to perform the tasks of a health care assistant.  However, I believe it is a violation of your privacy to expect you to self-disclose your medications and the reasons you are currently taking them.

If you have any activist interest, I would bring that form to a local ASO and find out if there is someone who could look into the legality of that form.  If it isn't legal, they should be made to change their practices.

Just a thought.

Not to hijack an old thread or anything, but

welcome to the forum.

Sharkie

So what's your story?

Offline GemInEyes

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 04:12:18 am »
Well, I was looking for inspirational stories for what individuals may have done with their lives since becoming positive.  How they may have advocated for themselves and how things may have worked out.  I was trolling this forum and then I saw this post and had to join the forum just so I could respond.  I think that any employer asking for that kind of information is breaking a law.

Anyway, me?  I'm HIV positive, have been almost 10 years.  Been working/volunteering in the HIV field for over 15.  After becoming positive, had a year or two when I was kicking myself for getting infected...and then realized I set up my barriers and HIV got around them...  I have nothing to kick myself for.  I enjoyed what I wanted to, risked where I thought I might be safe to do so, and...became infected.  If I was going to kick myself over that, I would have kicked myself over never having sex (if I went to the opposite end of the spectrum to protect myself from HIV). 

Since becoming positive, I went back to school, have become a nurse working in the fields of oncology and HIV, and next month going back to school to get my masters in nursing to become a nurse practitioner with a focus on carrying for people with HIV.

I'm not familiar with this forum or the rules and probably shouldn't have posted here...but sometimes I get mad at perceived injustices!  ;-)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.