Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:32:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773290
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 663
Total: 663

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: First Time out of the Country with Meds, Yikes!  (Read 4315 times)

Offline Carolann

First Time out of the Country with Meds, Yikes!
« on: August 09, 2007, 01:40:07 am »
Well,

Last night I hit the button and bought a ticket to Puerto Vallarta. It is not the best time for me to go, but I had the opportunity to stay in a condo for free, so I jumped at it. I am all ready to go and will be leaving tomorrow morning. I am leaving all my pills in their original bottles as I do not want to arouse any undue suspicion. The thing is, will they note something in my computer file when I come back If I have any meds with me? Though the thought of going away causes anxiety now that I have the bug, I am glad this is one more step to living with HIV and trying to go on with life as normal as possible.

Take Care, and see y\'all in a couple of weeks!

CA

Offline mjmel

Re: First Time out of the Country with Meds, Yikes!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 09:40:07 am »
No. I come and go to Mexico and the meds are hardly noticed and never commented on. Not one incident. I don't even carry the original bottles any more. I fill my med dispensers and carry the co-pay receipt from the pharmacy. It has my doctors name and the pharmacy contact as well. If I was traveling overseas then I'd bring the whole shebang.
Oh wait. Just once. Shortly after 9/11 this one guy at a security checkpoint in Louisiana was studying them like they might have been filled with nitro or something.  ::)
No one else since then.
You sort of confused me by referring to a computer file. No file kept; no questions asked......at least not here in the US or Mexico regarding US citizens.
Have fun. Relax.
Mike

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 09:59:57 am »
I have gone overseas so many times with tons of meds for over a decade.  Really, nobody blinks an eye.  There are many other diseases than HIV and these security people assuredly see tons of med bottles hourly (among other things...).   The only time I was pulled aside was when security in Reykjavík found my Biojector... it looks like a futuristic gun I guess.  Fortunately I was carrying a letter from my doctor and an attachment from TSA for it.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 10:17:21 am »
You're a US citizen, I assume, so TSA doesn't give a rat's ass if you have HIV.  I worked in Toronto for almost a year just before 9-11-01, and I make two round-trip flights to Canada every year;  and no one with Immigration Canada or TSA has given me grief about my pills and glutamine powder, even when I had lovely HAART meds in the pill box with big labels on them..... geez, and there have been so many hot Canadians I would have allowed to do a cavity search  >:(

Honestly, US Customs get more exasperated with my partner and I filling out a joint declaration with Married checked, just as we do when we enter Canada.  The Canadians have delayed me in Immigration twice in six years because I once had an employment authorization (work visa), and they delayed my partner but not me last fall for connecting through Montreal to get to Toronto--really!  My worst experience was on the highway crossing back into the US in northern Maine in 1992 after three weeks in the Maritimes--I had assimilated a New Brunswicker accent, and Customs strip-searched my vehicle and ran down my income tax records for six hours, though I was travelling with my US passport.

Cheers,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline northernguy

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 10:39:50 am »
... My worst experience was on the highway crossing back into the US in northern Maine in 1992 after three weeks in the Maritimes--I had assimilated a New Brunswicker accent, and Customs strip-searched my vehicle and ran down my income tax records for six hours, though I was travelling with my US passport.

Cheers,
David

That's what you get for trying to impersonate one of us ;)

Carolann, have a great trip.  Relax and enjoy yourself.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 12:17:56 pm »
You're a US citizen, I assume, so TSA doesn't give a rat's ass if you have HIV. 

Not sure if this was in response to my mentioning a letter from TSA, but yes if you are on a non-FDA approved medication such as I was in a clinical trial you do in fact need documentation from your doctor, and at least in the case of a Biojector there is a letter from TSA as well.

Offline SASA39

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 12:46:43 pm »
1. If you can , take a letter from your doc where he confirm that a therapy that you are carrying is for your personal use only ( without naming a desease , only the medication brands) , but do not show it unlles someone ask you to do so.............
2.If someone ask you what are you carrying just tell them that is is a chronic medication therapy without further explanation............( otherwise show them a letter )
3.And carry all your medication with you in a hand luggage packed in those see -through plastic bags if necessary...........
                                 Al
12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 12:53:09 pm »
Well,

Last night I hit the button and bought a ticket to Puerto Vallarta. It is not the best time for me to go, but I had the opportunity to stay in a condo for free, so I jumped at it. I am all ready to go and will be leaving tomorrow morning. I am leaving all my pills in their original bottles as I do not want to arouse any undue suspicion. The thing is, will they note something in my computer file when I come back If I have any meds with me? Though the thought of going away causes anxiety now that I have the bug, I am glad this is one more step to living with HIV and trying to go on with life as normal as possible.

Take Care, and see y\'all in a couple of weeks!

CA

Well, I had no problems at all flying within the states including my last trip.

I don't think this will be any issue at all so relax and enjoy your vacation.   I'm planning to go back to Costa Rica at the end of this year and I have no worries.

I've heard some issues with some Asian countries and the Middle East, but have no desire to go back to either of those any time soon anyway ; )

Enjoy your trip!

W
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 02:27:38 pm »
CA-

have a great time. See you on the flipside (with pix, I hope).

Brent
(Who would love to go to Mexico)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Carolann

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 11:01:19 am »
Well,

I am back! My anxiety turned out to be wasted energy. I left my meds in their original containers, and had no problems. I kept them in a backpack and with me at all times. The people in Mexico were wonderful. I loved Puerto Vallarta and want to return soon. I have even thought of going back in December.

It felt great to get out of the country, start enjoying a normal life. It is a process and I am glad I am continuing it. I felt more alive than usual, not a care in the world. Nothing Like a Pacifico on the Pacifico, interacting with new people, and appreciating what I have to put things into perspective.

Thanks for your replies,

CA

Offline comino

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 07:28:54 pm »
C,  I've traveled world wide and I've never had any problems at all not in China, Japan, Thailand, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, Mexico, Canada, Uruguay, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, England nor France.  I would second the advise of packing your meds in your carry on and have a note from your Dr. just in case, I always do, never needed it. So enjoy the Pacifico on the Pacifico  and SALUD!   Pa'rriba' ,pa'bajo,pa'l centro, PA'DENTRO!   It's a mexican cheer  that translates to  GO up, go down, go to center, and then it enters, ofcourse you do this with your drink  HA!   ;D

Offline gaspode

• A very naughty nurse
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 04:56:35 pm »
Glad you had a good time, CA

Now, try enetering the USA as a non USA citizen carrying HIV meds  ;)

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 08:51:17 pm »
What is the worst that can happen?  It is not like the government did not have other ways to know your condition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline Carolann

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 11:44:36 pm »
Well Red Dragon,

The worst thing that could happen is that they could choose not allow my meds into the country (Mexico) since I did everything last minute and did not have a letter from my doctor. The second worst is that I would be questioned on why I need the meds, since I still fear stigma and such for being a dirty bug carrier. Coming back was not an issue because I did not bring any meds back into the USA. I even brought way over the limit of tequila allowed per person. I guess I just had an honest face. No alimentary canal smuggling profile suspect here.

CA

Offline mjmel

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2007, 04:15:41 pm »
Glad you won't waste energy or time worrying about this any longer. So........as Mr. Bucko suggested.......where's a nice picture? You don't have to show a face just something like the incredible blue ocean....or anything south of the border.  (sigh)
Mike

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 04:57:08 pm »
Yes CA, we'd all love to see some travel pictures.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.