Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:41:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 264
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 259
Total: 260

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: National Black AIDS Awareness Day  (Read 16824 times)

Offline 404error

National Black AIDS Awareness Day
« on: January 23, 2008, 05:25:19 pm »
Hmmm...  I find this slightly offensive.  There are ethno-specific AIDS day for anyone else.  We have world AIDS day on December 1st and that encompasses everyone.  Why is February 7th specifically an AIDS day for blacks?  Is it because when someone who is black is diagnosed with HIV, it's a greater tragedy than when someone who is asian or hispanic (or not black) is diagnosed with the same illness?   
A social critic who promotes equality...

Offline Iggy

Re: National Black AIDS Awareness Day
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 05:29:04 pm »
Why do you find this slightly offensive?

Didn't you make several statements recently in the Activism section about the needs of hetero poz people being ignored? 

Why do you find it OK to talk about the need for raising awareness for one group of people with HIV and not another?

Modified:  I found the post I was thinking of:

Heterosexuals would be the blacks of this civilization.  The second class citizens.  The underprivileged underclass.  Very little is written about them.  Very little is specifically catered to address their cultural needs.  They are the whipping boy of the majority.  When the blacks speak up against the whites they are knocked down.  They're told "You don't need a service that represents you.  We created one for us and if it's good enough for us, it's good enough for you."  When the blacks say "we need a voice" they're told "you have 'a' voice."  The blacks don't have the connections that the whites do in this America.  They don't have the jobs.  They don't run the organizations.  They don't control the flow of money.  They don't write or print the literature that tells the story of the majority.  The blacks just want something for themselves.  Something they can relate to.  Something that tells their story.  A BET of poz living if you will.   
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 05:32:30 pm by Iggy »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 05:32:25 pm »
Why do you find this slightly offensive?

Didn't you make several statements recently in the Activism section about the needs of hetero poz people being ignored? 

Why do you find it OK to talk about the need for raising awareness for one group of people with HIV and not another?

Bless you for that, Iggy.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Teresa

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 05:37:30 pm »
Maybe because Feb. is Black History Month. I think as long as it makes people more aware of HIV/AIDS more power to them!
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline 404error

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 05:38:34 pm »
sexuality is a far more encompassing inclusion of others than race based services would be. 

Because all this does is further subdivide funding and access to programs.  One day we'll have a "half black, quarter hispanic, quarter asian, gay, left handed, dyslexic, midgets who vote republican and are living with AIDS" day because seriously, those people are underrepresented.  THEY HAVE NO VOICE!!!

Heterosexual group.  Homosexual group.  Seems pretty inclusive of everybody if you ask me and just two groups... wow!

Offline fearless

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 05:43:54 pm »
Hmmm...  I find this slightly offensive.  There are ethno-specific AIDS day for anyone else.  We have world AIDS day on December 1st and that encompasses everyone.  Why is February 7th specifically an AIDS day for blacks?  Is it because when someone who is black is diagnosed with HIV, it's a greater tragedy than when someone who is asian or hispanic (or not black) is diagnosed with the same illness?   

For the record, October 15 in National Latino AIDS day. It's not about whether it is a greater tragedy in any one community over another, but about raising awareness in specific communities.

Perhaps, next time your sensibilities are slightly offended you should step back and think about it for a minute, and do a little research before you open your mouth.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline 404error

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 05:44:41 pm »
I'll do that, right after celebrating National White AIDS Awareness Day.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 05:46:42 pm »
sexuality is a far more encompassing inclusion of others than race based services would be. 

Because all this does is further subdivide funding and access to programs.  One day we'll have a "half black, quarter hispanic, quarter asian, gay, left handed, dyslexic, midgets who vote republican and are living with AIDS" day because seriously, those people are underrepresented.  THEY HAVE NO VOICE!!!

Heterosexual group.  Homosexual group.  Seems pretty inclusive of everybody if you ask me and just two groups... wow!

What a loathsomely predictable response.  "My wants & needs matter!  Their's don't!"

Boo fucking hoo.

You know what, 404?  If "half black, quarter hispanic, quarter asian, gay, left handed, dyslexic, midgets who vote republican and are living with AIDS" begin to make up a disproportionate amount of the people effected by this disease, I'll back their day 100%.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline 404error

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 05:48:33 pm »
you are such a champion of the little people...

Offline fearless

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 05:49:57 pm »

Before or after you start up your straight support services group?

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 05:50:32 pm »
you are such a champion of the little people...

Damn straight.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Teresa

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 05:53:52 pm »
I googled White AIDS Day and Caucasian AIDS Day and all that showed up was World AIDS Day Dec. 1. I have the perfect date for you to celebrate White AIDS Day...April 1.
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06

Offline 404error

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 05:54:23 pm »
Before or after you start up your straight support services group?

I believe in the thread where I was suggesting there was a need for hetero specific services I also stated that I am not the man for the job.  I am too biased and my own biases would taint the even handedness of said service.  I realize that to do so would be wrong so I'm not going to go there out of respect for the needs of others.  In the meantime, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 05:58:15 pm »
I believe in the thread where I was suggesting there was a need for hetero specific services I also stated that I am not the man for the job.  I am too biased and my own biases would taint the even handedness of said service.  I realize that to do so would be wrong so I'm not going to go there out of respect for the needs of others.  In the meantime, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

O RLY?  And so tell us, squeaky wheel, is that your intention here?  To prompt some of us into doing the work for you?  So add "laziness" to your laundry list of stellar traits. 

I say, "No".  The real intention of this thread has nothing at all to do with HIV or services; it's about the same thing it always is with you:  attempting to find new and different ways to belittle any group that isn't just like your poor, little self.  Be it black, gay, female, jewish....whatever, your true goal is always the same.

/edited for typos/
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 06:19:47 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline 404error

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 05:59:27 pm »
googled White AIDS Day and Caucasian AIDS Day and all that showed up was World AIDS Day Dec. 1

World AIDS Day is "WORLD" AIDS Day, not White AIDS Day or Caucasian AIDS Day.  It is for people from Africa, South America, Asia, North America, Europe and Oceania regardless of ethnicity. 

I have the perfect date for you to celebrate White AIDS Day...April 1

So white people who become infected with HIV are fools?

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 06:00:08 pm »
After  seeing the HIV/AIDS Epidemiology reports for the past few years, the groups most newly infected are

1. Married women, over 40, in a monogamous relationship w/ their husbands and no drug use.

2. Hispanic men and women

3. Black men

4. Gay men

Those are the highest risk factors, in order and have remained unchanged for at least 3 years.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Teresa

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 06:02:44 pm »
Dont go putting words in my mouth. I  said I had the perfect date for YOU to celebrate. I never said anything about anyone being a fool.
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06

Offline fearless

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 06:06:54 pm »
Have you always been such a big whinger, 404, or is it a recent turn of events?

Offline 404error

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 06:10:21 pm »
your true goal is always the same

I'm a social critic who promotes equality.  The thing is when you suggest that white people or heterosexual people are less equal than others under some circumstances, others see it as belittling those groups who are neither straight nor white while simultaneously denying their struggles.  I'm merely suggesting that if ethno-sexual specific services are good for some, then they must be good for all and to deny that as a truth is to be hypocritical or rather to hold others to a standard to which you would never hold yourself.

Dont go putting words in my mouth. I said I had the perfect date for YOU to celebrate. I never said anything about anyone being a fool.

You suggested I celebrate White AIDS Day on April 1st.  If there was a White AIDS Day why would you choose April Fools Day as the day to celebrate it other than to imply that the idea of an ethnic specific day to mark HIV/AIDS catering to Caucasians is a foolish idea?  If it's okay to have a day that specifically caters to Hispanics or Blacks or Aboriginals, why is it any less of a good idea to have a day that specifically caters to Caucasians?

Offline lucas clay

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 06:10:47 pm »
I googled White AIDS Day and Caucasian AIDS Day and all that showed up was World AIDS Day Dec. 1. I have the perfect date for you to celebrate White AIDS Day...April 1.

Damn that's my wedding anniversary, c'mon

Lucas

Offline 404error

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 06:12:04 pm »
Have you always been such a big whinger

Truth be told I was always more defensively minded and not too strong on the wing.  Also, contrary to popular belief, I was never a power forward.  More of a defensively responsible top four D-Man with an offensive upside...

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 06:17:45 pm »
I'm a social critic who promotes equality.  The thing is when you suggest that white people or heterosexual people are less equal than others under some circumstances, others see it as belittling those groups who are neither straight nor white while simultaneously denying their struggles.  I'm merely suggesting that if ethno-sexual specific services are good for some, then they must be good for all and to deny that as a truth is to be hypocritical or rather to hold others to a standard to which you would never hold yourself.

Ahem....you are such a champion of the people.

It's about directing attention and services to the areas of the population most greatly impacted.  And sorry, sweetpea, white heterosexual males ain't it. 

A social critic who promotes quality....that much, at least, is laughable.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 06:19:32 pm »
Before this escalates any further let's cool it on the acerbic exchanges, 404 in particular. The sarcastic stuff will not be tolerated. Just don't write anything further in this thread if you find yourself unable to resist more of the same.  Tim, don't allow yourself to get drawn into anymore of the same.

FYI, as already noted, February is in fact Black History month. You may or may not be aware that there has been a consistent lack of interest, respect and attention in the black community to the whole subject of HIV/AIDS. Additionally the infection rates there and in the Latino community are right at the front of the line. So it makes perfect sense for some special attention to be devoted to the issue during February. It has nothing to do with anything as shallow as political correctness. It's about an effort to save lives.

Andy Velez

Offline fearless

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 06:20:45 pm »
as I said, a little research goes a long way:

whinger, noun.
   /winj/ verb (i), whinged, whingeing.
       1. to complain; whine.
   noun
       2. a complaint.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 06:48:15 pm »
One of the first events I participated in down here in Charlotte was a BALL (Think Paris is Burning) which combined HIV education and testing (and free condoms!) as an entrance requirement for all these really great kids (anyone under 30 is a kid) of color.

This event only happened because it was set up by people of color who recognized that the generic AIDS posters that target the white gay man doesn't work for their community.

The event was a phenomenal success and we had something like 800 surveys filled out for understanding community awareness of HIV within the minority populations.

The reason I bring this up is based on the original question - would such an event be deemed unnecessary?  Would it be seen as just causing division in the HIV community in general?   Or is it just possible that like a Black AIDS awareness day, it was an event that reached into a segment of the population that may not be served by the generic message that we all have AIDS and spoke to people in a way that respected who they were and their culture and their lives?

And while you chew over an answer to that question, I really got to ask something that is bugging me the most:  When an ADDITIONAL day of AIDS awareness is brought up to the world's attention in a time that we are still screaming that the crisis is not over - WHY THE FUCK would anyone with HIV raise a stink?

P.S. I still don't think you answered my original response on this thread with the modified inclusion of your previous remarks.

Offline 404error

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 06:49:58 pm »
It's about directing attention and services to the areas of the population most greatly impacted.  And sorry, sweetpea, white heterosexual males ain't it.

So essentially what you're saying here is that because white heterosexuals don't make up a large enough percentage of the population living with HIV or AIDS, that their need for services are less imporant than the needs of those who can be identified in larger numbers?  Basically minority needs come second to the needs of the majority? 

A social critic who promotes quality....that much, at least, is laughable.

I don't think so.  I didn't start segregated services, that took place well before I contracted this disease.  Gynocentric.  Afrocentric.  Gay focused.  That's fine, the precedent was set and I'm unfortunately going to have to reluctantly accept that.  All I'm suggesting is that if it's okay for everyone else to do this, then it should be equally acceptable for white people to do the same.  Afterall, they'd merely be following a trend at this point.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 09:43:34 pm by 404error »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 07:03:19 pm »
African-Americans make up just 12% of the population in the United States, but they account for an estimated 54% of all new HIV infections. Among African-Americans, young women and gay and bisexual men are at greatest risk of HIV infection. In fact, CDC estimates that of all new HIV infections in women, 64% are among African-American women. This disproportionate impact of HIV/AIDS on the African-American community is a critical element in improving the nation's public health, and cause for concern on the part of all Americans.  Read more (medscape)

I'm quite sure NBHAAD was created by Black Americans. If you want something for White Americans, why don't you do some lobbying?

About NBHAAD

404, you are seriously close to being given a Time Out.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 07:12:52 pm »
As the white mother of a female, left-handed, right-wing, dyslexic, little person, who happens to be black and HIV+, I don't see this as separating people.  As stated in many other responses, i see it as a way to bring awareness that this is NOT a white, gay, male, disease. Nor does it only effect black people who are in Africa, but black people all over the world, including the States.  This disease doesn't discriminate and neither should we.  It does effect everyone - even the littlest everyones.  Anything that brings HIV/AIDS to the forefront is a wonderful thing.  The fact that it is done during Black History month makes it more "out there" for those the message is trying to reach.

Mum - who is quite proud of her Jr. Pozzie

www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2008, 07:13:31 pm »
So essentially what you're saying here is that because white heterosexuals don't make up a large enough percentage of the population living with HIV or AIDS, that their need for services are less imporant than the needs of those who can be identified in larger numbers?  Basically minority needs come second to the needs of the majority? 

Nice try, Andre.  Nope.  What I'm saying is that there is enough substantial evidence that the needs of these segments have not been met, that educational and preventional measures have not reached them that is justifies these additional efforts.  Such has not been demonstrated to be the case in your little niche, Andre.  And let's not overlook that, like mentioned in Iggy's post above, these are largely efforts undertaken by them on their own behalf...something that you admit you won't bother to do.  No, instead you prefer to simply complain & complain under the ruse of being some "social critic".

I don't think so.  I didn't start segregated services, that took place well before I contracted this disease.  Gynocentric.  Afrocentric.  Gay focused.  That's fine, the precedent was set and I'm willing to live with that.  All I'm suggesting is that if it's okay for everyone else to do this, then it should be equally acceptable for white people to do the same.  Afterall, they'd merely be following a trend at this point.

Very well, Andre.  If you feel it is such an important cause to undertake, quit bitching about it and do something.

Oh, that's right...your's isn't to actually do  anything, your's is simply to cry and whine about some perceived injustice.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline 404error

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 07:17:44 pm »
When an ADDITIONAL day of AIDS awareness is brought up to the world's attention in a time that we are still screaming that the crisis is not over - WHY THE FUCK would anyone with HIV raise a stink?

There is nothing wrong with an additional day of AIDS awareness, I would wholeheartedly support World AIDS Day v.2.0  This however is just another example of people clinging to and celebrating what makes them different from everyone else rather than rallying around a common cause.  World AIDS Day, it's for everyone.  Regardless of ethnicity, nationality, age, gender or sexuality.  It engages everyone.  Black AIDS Day does not.  AIDS affects everyone so everyone should be equally represented.

To all questions I didn't answer or rebuttals I didn't respond to, I apologize.  Political correctness trumps factual correctness.  I'm gonna leave it at that rather than getting more specific only to find myself on the receiving end of a time out.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 07:23:29 pm by 404error »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 07:22:51 pm »
And yet you never properly responded to Iggy's original question with the inclusion of your former quote.

You've repeatedly cried about how there needs to be more of a voice for "your" segment of society, yet this is somehow divisive.

/edited to change their to there/

« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 07:44:58 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2008, 07:54:22 pm »
There is nothing wrong with an additional day of AIDS awareness, I would wholeheartedly support World AIDS Day v.2.0  This however is just another example of people clinging to and celebrating what makes them different from everyone else rather than rallying around a common cause.  World AIDS Day, it's for everyone.  Regardless of ethnicity, nationality, age, gender or sexuality.  It engages everyone.  Black AIDS Day does not.  AIDS affects everyone so everyone should be equally represented.

To all questions I didn't answer or rebuttals I didn't respond to, I apologize.  Political correctness trumps factual correctness.  I'm gonna leave it at that rather than getting more specific only to find myself on the receiving end of a time out.

You seem to be playing both sides of the fence here:  You have no problems with additional Days of AIDS awareness, but you want them to speak to only your interests (or at the most benign - your interests in a broader umbrella)

In other words - if you can't relate it is unnecessary...no actually according to you - damaging.  And your point about Black AIDS Awareness being exclusionary is...?

I know that is a crude summary of your last post, but I am from Brooklyn and many will attest to my lack of finesse.

Think about it...You are not the world...but damn if you are not welcomed to be a part of it.  Join us! ;)

Offline oh my...

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2008, 08:01:58 pm »
When the majority of new HIV infections happen to be among white heterosexual men from first world nations, then you can most certainly bet that time, money, and attention will be paid to our issues like you've never seen.  As much as someone likes to be a social critic 404, why don't you try turning that gaze onto society to see that white heterosexual men are at the top of the food chain and the rest of us who don't fit into that mold are ignored.  Pozguy75 recently posted how Gov. Schwarzenegger of Calif. is slashing millions of dollars from that state's ADAP for budgetary reasons.  Do you think that if the face of AIDS looked solely like you that would be allowed without a major uproar.  Because we are largely minority, gay, female - all subgroups that our culture has always deemed "less than", we are routinely ignored.  How many years into the epidemic and President Reagan wouldn't even speak the word AIDS?  Washington DC, a city that is largely black and poor has a rate of HIV infection that is just as high as many African nations.  Why shouldn't African Americans draw attention to the disease when it's the 3rd leading cause of death for black women 25-44, with similar numbers for black men.  White heterosexual men are in power and have control over the system - when that is no longer the case, then we can hear you talk about the need for "White AIDS Day".

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2008, 08:08:57 pm »

You should hear the chorus during the celebrations for National Jew AIDS Day.  I always have to shut my windows.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2008, 08:11:32 pm »
I'm a social critic who promotes equality. 

*giggle*

I'm so tempted to use that in my sig line.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 08:17:03 pm »

I don't think so.  I didn't start segregated services, that took place well before I contracted this disease.  Gynocentric.  Afrocentric.  Gay focused.  That's fine, the precedent was set and I'm willing to live with that.  All I'm suggesting is that if it's okay for everyone else to do this, then it should be equally acceptable for white people to do the same.  Afterall, they'd merely be following a trend at this point.

If you were gay, and had been HIV positive in the 80's (like I was, albeit unknowingly) you'd be highly offended by this comment.  I fail to see why I should apologize to a straight white man that the gay community found itself in the unenviable position of having to set up support organizations with NO HELP FINANCIALLY OR OTHERWISE from the larger straight community.

Go buy a copy of Reports from the Holocaust and get some perspective about this disease that's coursing around your veins.

geesh.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2008, 08:19:00 pm »
I'm a social critic who promotes equality. 

I can't help but feel like we've been here before.

[attachment deleted by admin]
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2008, 08:24:47 pm »

Alas, for now, it just isn't working out that way for you...is it, Andre?

Gooble, gobble!  Gooble, gobble!  One of us!  One of us!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 08:27:41 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline 404error

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 09:42:19 pm »
Because I couldn't resist

As much as someone likes to be a social critic 404, why don't you try turning that gaze onto society to see that white heterosexual men are at the top of the food chain and the rest of us who don't fit into that mold are ignored

I love it when this terribly flawed argument is brought to light.  You're focusing on the colour of these men's skin rather than the zeros in their bank account.  For every rich, white, heterosexual at the top, there are hundreds of thousands who are much closer to the bottom.  For every rich, white heterosexual CEO earning 8 figures, there are millions of others who slave away for minimal compensation.  Since this is the case, their being white has little to do with their station in life. The insert ethnic majority here who find themselves at the top of the economic food chain run the show in every country, everywhere around the world.  Brown heterosexuals in India and the Middle East.  Asian heterosexuals in Korea, Japan and China.  Black heterosexuals in African Nations.  Latin heterosexuals in Latin America and so on and so forth.  Of course it best serves these rich white men at the top (in multicultural North America) that you focus on the colour of their skin.  The more time you spend associating priviledge with skin tone, the less time you'll spend noticing that they're rich and getting richer while continually maintaining control.  In conclusion ethnicity has nothing to do with being in charge and controlling; business, education, government, etc.  Wealth (in combination with education) determines who gets to do these things.  Just ask; Colin Powell, Barack Obama, Ujjal Dosanjh (former premier of BC), Kwame M. Kilpatrick, Alberto Gonzales, or Kofi Annan and so on and so forth...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 03:49:33 am by 404error »

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2008, 10:07:30 pm »
We have Breast Cancer Awareness Month   

Why don't we lobby together for an AIDS  Awareness MONTH?

Shark- who is admittedly trying to change the direction of where this thread is going

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2008, 10:12:44 pm »
404, all I can say is that if you want a white AIDS awareness day, then like Ann said, lobby to start one.   
Betty
(who is a white bi-sexual female with AIDS-take that!)
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2008, 10:21:05 pm »
Because I couldn't resist

I love it when this terribly flawed argument is brought to light.  You're focusing on the colour of these men's skin rather than the zeros in their bank account.  For every rich, white, heterosexual at the top, there are hundreds of thousands who are much closer to the bottom.  For every rich, white heterosexual CEO earning 8 figures, there are millions of others who slave away for minimal compensation.  Since this is the case, their being white has little to do with their station in life. The insert ethnic majority here who find themselves at the top of the economic food chain run the show in every country, everywhere around the world.  Brown heterosexuals in India and the Middle East.  Asian heterosexuals in Korea, Japan and China.  Black heterosexuals in African Nations.  Latin heterosexuals in Latin America and so on and so forth.  Of course it best serves these rich white men at the top (in multicultural North America) that you focus on the colour of their skin.  The more time you spend blaming priviledge on skin, the less time you'll spend noticing that they're rich and getting richer while continually maintaining control.  In conclusion ethnicity has nothing to do with being in charge and controlling; business, education, government, etc.  Wealth (in combination with education) determines who gets to do these things.  Just ask; Colin Powell, Barack Obama, Ujjal Dosanjh (former premier of BC), Kwame M. Kilpatrick, Alberto Gonzales, or Kofi Annan and so on and so forth...

Alright, Andre.  We've heard this same argument from you countless times before, and I think now is as good a time as any to let you know that you need not advance it any further. 

We get it.  We're sold. 

You've single-handedly demonstrated to us time and again that a white man has every potential to be:

-  Poor (in both means and character)

-  Insufferably doltish

-  Completely ineffectual and inconsequential as a person.

You've convinced us.  Congratulations.

I don't see that anyone is "blaming priviledge on skin", as you say, but merely pointing out that:

In THIS country,  the overwhelming majority of those with the money and the control happen to be white, heterosexual males.

In THIS country...where, I might add, this event (National Black AIDS Day) is taking place. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 10:23:57 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2008, 01:10:26 am »
This however is just another example of people clinging to and celebrating what makes them different from everyone else rather than rallying around a common cause.  World AIDS Day, it's for everyone.  Regardless of ethnicity, nationality, age, gender or sexuality.  It engages everyone.

as a gay American hoping for equality, I have to say that I stand behind 404error in seeing things this way. Making a "white day", a "black day", or a "women's day" only segregates us more. Perhaps if all of these days were within a specific aids awareness month; but to randomly pick a day on the calendar for a certain race to be recognized sounds racist to me.  How are we supposed to be equal human beings or end the stigma when we seperate ourselves into categories?

(perhaps I should have an "over 15 years infected day", so I wouldn't have to put up with all those noobs taking a pill a day spouting their happy philosophy of life while I spend another day puking from side effects on my salvage routine. See? It just doesn't sound as good an idea when you consider "white only day" or "over 15 years infected day" does it?)

After reading all of the responses seeming to approve of segregated awareness days based on race etc I felt compelled to say something on this side of the arguement. I've always thought this site was nice because things weren't segregated (although the clash between the Euros and Yanks discussing where to hold the next AMG can be a little divisionist at times LOL). I've meet people from all over the world here - white, brown, tan, male, female, straight, gay, young, and old. Believing in a "united we stand; divided we fall" approach, I've always seen the activism thread as a global unitor to help end the stigma for us all. But hey, if all you guys want to go off and do your own thing, more power to you. (although as a smaller group you'll actually have less power, I still wish you well)

I'll still include ALL of you in my thoughts when I attend memorials on World Aids Day regardless of your race, sex, national origin, etc. May a cure be found for us all.

mikie
(who has always thought the "positive women" thread was sexist; and in light of this thread, is wondering just why there isn't a "straights only", "whites only" or "black only" thread too.)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2008, 05:35:15 am »
as a gay American hoping for equality, I have to say that I stand behind 404error in seeing things this way. Making a "white day", a "black day", or a "women's day" only segregates us more. Perhaps if all of these days were within a specific aids awareness month; but to randomly pick a day on the calendar for a certain race to be recognized sounds racist to me.  How are we supposed to be equal human beings or end the stigma when we seperate ourselves into categories?

(perhaps I should have an "over 15 years infected day", so I wouldn't have to put up with all those noobs taking a pill a day spouting their happy philosophy of life while I spend another day puking from side effects on my salvage routine. See? It just doesn't sound as good an idea when you consider "white only day" or "over 15 years infected day" does it?)

After reading all of the responses seeming to approve of segregated awareness days based on race etc I felt compelled to say something on this side of the arguement. I've always thought this site was nice because things weren't segregated (although the clash between the Euros and Yanks discussing where to hold the next AMG can be a little divisionist at times LOL). I've meet people from all over the world here - white, brown, tan, male, female, straight, gay, young, and old. Believing in a "united we stand; divided we fall" approach, I've always seen the activism thread as a global unitor to help end the stigma for us all. But hey, if all you guys want to go off and do your own thing, more power to you. (although as a smaller group you'll actually have less power, I still wish you well)

I'll still include ALL of you in my thoughts when I attend memorials on World Aids Day regardless of your race, sex, national origin, etc. May a cure be found for us all.

mikie
(who has always thought the "positive women" thread was sexist; and in light of this thread, is wondering just why there isn't a "straights only", "whites only" or "black only" thread too.)

I think just a bitter ol' white guy day would work. You're acting like black folk want a holiday or something? It's simply a day to raise awareness in the black community. I'm so sick of the reverse racism argument. While I'm at it, why should there be a gay pride day? We should just have a human day or else you're just promoting heterophobia.

The things white guys get their panties in a wad about amazes me.

ps In school Mike did you ever ask your history teacher why never a mention of black folk in your book?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 05:39:39 am by Dachshund »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2008, 06:07:00 am »

Please tell me you're kidding when you say you find the women's forum sexist? If nothing else, I believe the women's forum saved AIDSMEDS from hemorrhaging what few women were posting at the time. If nothing else it offers the women a safe place to discuss issues that pertain only to women, without fearing some schlub coming in and making a joke, a pass, or even a benign opinion on something men know nothing about. The women's forum is sexist? Unbelievable.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2008, 06:49:47 am »
404error, I believe by starting this thread you've contradicted yourself from your previous post. Now who is the one wanting to deprive "Blacks" of a voice?

National Black AIDS Awareness Day-I find this slightly offensive. "Try practicing what you preach, 404error."

" When the blacks say "we need a voice" they're told "you have 'a' voice."

Heterosexuals would be the blacks of this civilization.  The second class citizens.  The underprivileged underclass.  Very little is written about them.  Very little is specifically catered to address their cultural needs.  They are the whipping boy of the majority.  When the blacks speak up against the whites they are knocked down.  They're told "You don't need a service that represents you.  We created one for us and if it's good enough for us, it's good enough for you. The blacks don't have the connections that the whites do in this America.  They don't have the jobs.  They don't run the organizations.  They don't control the flow of money.  They don't write or print the literature that tells the story of the majority.  The blacks just want something for themselves.  Something they can relate to.  Something that tells their story.  A BET of poz living if you will. 

Offline Optipessimistic

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2008, 08:02:05 am »

Being an African American woman myself I have tried to read this thread as objectively as possible.  Being a chemical engineer who works in a "white" dominated field makes it difficult though, but try I will I guess.  My husband who is white and also HIV+ has no problems with the way things are.  I guess his wiring did not include being homophobic or a racist. Which are the only ones I think would have a problem with Black Awareness AIDS Day.   It is what it is folks.  Some people never understood and never will. 

My husband read this thread and told me that he partook in all the programs when he was initially diagnosed (ADAP etc.) and was never turned down because he was white and straight.  So what's the problem 404? 

I think someone must not have believed 404's story on how he was really infected...

Time to go to work, I got turned down for foodstamps because I make 53,000% to much.

June

Offline keyite

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2008, 08:03:08 am »
It's really saddening that a young straight white guy in this day and age can remain quite so blind to the subtle ways in which oppression and discrimination works along lines of race, gender and sexual orientation.

Stop the endless whining, get off your butt and draw a little inspiration from fellow heteros:
http://www.threepozgals.net/

Be the change you want to see in the world!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2008, 08:21:42 am »
This thread has gone on long enough. Too long in fact. Positions and opinions have been stated. Every once in a while we get a variation on this kind of exchange. Personally I find them discouraging.

In any case this thread is now locked. Anyone who attempts to start a Part 2 thread will risk a Time Out or possibly being banned.   
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.