Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 08:29:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 177
Total: 177

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV in the Philippines....  (Read 60636 times)

Offline dyingYOUNG19

HIV in the Philippines....
« on: August 27, 2006, 12:08:25 pm »
It has been 22 years since the first HIV/AIDS case was reported in the Philippines....

just last March 2006, I had my second test for HIV Antibody (the first was last December 2005 and it was NEGATIVE), I got the result on the end of May 2006, it was POSITIVE.....

now I am living with HIV...in my day to day life...I am starting to build a future as a person infected with HIV and doing things that will help other people especially the YOUTHS to be free from this virus....still I am finishing my last year in college and looking forward for a brighter future even in this darkest situation....

HIV is fast spreading in this country and I do believe that the registry is far enough from the total number of Filipinos infected with HIV today.

This thread is made for information on HIV/AIDS in the Philippines...

WELCOME everyone.....

HIV/AIDS REGISTRY in the Philippines as of June 2006

New HIV Ab Seropositive Cases
For the month of June 2006, there were 33 new HIV Ab seropositive cases reported. Of these
17 (52%) were males and 16 (48%) were females. The median age was 32 years (range 19-55
years). Reported modes of transmission were sexual contact (33) [heterosexual (22),
homosexual (9) and bisexual (2)].

New AIDS Cases
Of the 33 new HIV Ab seropositive cases, 4 were reported as AIDS cases (3 were males and 1
female). Mean age was 38 years (range 35-41 years). Reported mode of transmission was
sexual contact [heterosexual (3) and homosexual (1)].
Cumulative No. of HIV Ab Seropositive and AIDS Cases
From January 1984 to June 2006, there were 2,566 HIV Ab seropositive cases reported (Figure
1), of which 1,835 (72%) were asymptomatic and 731 (28%) were AIDS cases. Majority (67%)
of the cases was in the 20-39 years age group (Figure 2). Sixty-four percent (1,636) were
males. Sexual intercourse (87%) was still the leading mode of transmission (Table 1). Of the
AIDS cases, 287 (39%) were already dead at the time of the report due to AIDS related
complications.

Other Information
Of the 2,566 HIV seropositive cases, 891 (35%) were Overseas Filipino Workers or OFWs
(Figure 3), of which 303 (34%) were seafarers, 156 (18%) were domestic helpers, 79 (9%)
were employees, 66 (7%) were entertainers and 57 (6%) were health workers (nurses,
caregivers, health educator, medical technologist, midwife, pharmacist, physical therapist,
dentist and physician). Seventy three percent (653) of OFWs were males. Sexual intercourse
(93%) remains to be the predominant mode of transmission (Table 2).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 12:22:56 pm by dyingYOUNG19 »
there were two GREATEST DAYS in your LIFE:
The day you were born; and
the day you knew why...

I will live this DAY as if my LAST. This DAY is ALL I HAVE and these HOURS are my ETERNITY...

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
Re: HIV in the Philippines....
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 03:13:43 pm »
Bonjour Alex,

I  read your posts and want to say how sorry I am that you got hiv at such a young age. It breaks my heart.

You mention how lucky we are, in the western countries, when it comes to access to treatments, information and so on. How true, even if there is a lot to do here it certainly does not compare with the situation in poorer countries.

I find admirable that you've had the strength to deal with your new situation and start to help others so quickly. I think you will find a lot of information here and support as well. In a way I hope this site will help you and the people around you overcome the shortcommings of your government's health policies.
This may sound judgemental but I happen to have lived in your country and I still have many friends there so I am not saying this without knowledge of the situation.
As you say, it would be of great help if the Catholic church of the Philippines finaly put its weight behind the much needed education campaigs about topics such as hiv, condoms and birth control. And Gloria could do more no doubt, as could the few very wealthy families that still own much of the country.

A very warm welcome here Alex, don't hesitate to post often, there will always be someone for you here.

Pat  :-* and a big (((((((((((((((((((((HUG)))))))))))))))))))))

People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline Eldon

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 08:04:55 pm »
Hello Alex, it is Eldon. I want to extend a warm WELCOME to forums to you. Here you will find love, encouragement, support, fun, and many answers to your questions relating to HIV/AIDS. This is a great group of people and there is a lot of information here also.

I wish you the BEST in your continuing education in College. Also, it is good that your article was published and you are reaching out to the YOUTH of your community. We need more people just as yourself.

Feel free to come and visit from time to time and share your experiences with us. This site is a great way to add to your current support system.

Again, Welcome!

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 03:00:51 am »
HI and a warm welcome to the forums. There are many caring and loving and understanding people in here. I hope you can find the support you need to make life more bearable. I believe you can do well and live a long life if this is what you want. I have been poz 22 years, almost as long as you have been alive. So please don't ever give up. you are young and strong. I hope you use that to your advantage.
Take care of your self. I think it is great you are finishing college. You can do anything you put your mind to. I hope you keep living your life, and enjoy every day of it. Keep us all posted on how you are doing.
With love and respect,
Jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 09:30:10 am »
Hi Alex,

I hope before long you will be thinking about living both old and young with HIV. Yes, it is a serious condition. No, it is not a death sentence or it doesn't have to be.

Gradually you can come to see that your life is going to go on. It is important to have your numbers monitored by your doctor regularly. And to have a doctor you can work with to keep you healthy.

You will also learn the things you need to do to stay healthy. There is a wide range of people here in the Forum in terms of experience, knowledge and age, among other things. Ask any questions you want to and feel free to discuss anything that's on your mind. This is your place too.

Welcome!

Andy Velez

Offline dyingYOUNG19

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 08:18:14 am »
thanks to your message....well, this is life...it is what we make and we must be get on going if we really want to succeed and survive....

the world is sometimes CRUEL but if only we will look at the brighter side of it, then surely everything will be fine....hehehe! I must be HAPPY....

yup I am young at age but I am old on seeing things on different perspectives...I've been living away from my family for almost 8 years now...since my first year high school at the age of 12....

I am a 4th year NURSING STUDENT here in Manila and soon to graduate (hopefully) by March 2007....

as a student nurse and a responsible YOUTH, it's my duty to help my country even in simple ways....

I have no time for regrets...for DENIAL....(maybe for TEARS during lonely times...)

i know that there are reasons behind my situation right now.....

as of this time, I am with my support group here in the Philippines and still going fine and hopefully I can volunteer there after graduation as a community educator/health care provider....although right now, I have my advocacy that I often does here in the cyber space (in Filipino bisexual/gay websites)...

I actually had my story printed in newspaper last June-July with titles:

MY CLASSMATE HAS AIDS
CHATMATE GAVE ME HIV
CHATMATE HIDES HIV for SEX
HIV WARRIOR: Heal Me STOP AIDS!

I also had my interview in a radio station last July...

I disclosed my status to 16 YOUTH participants during the BASIC TRAINING for HIV AIDS and Convention on Children's Rights as project of my support group...

and also in a religious group for gays and lesbians....

these are just those few things I've done so far....

I am looking forward for more soon....

I think this is my PURPOSE....

i can say that the Department of Education of the Philippines has lapses in terms of Primary Prevention and Campaigns for HIV/AIDS....

HIV/AIDS is far away from the minds of many Filipinos (especially in the Provinces)....although many know about the disease, they really don't uderstand its whole context, they DON'T PRACTICE their knowledge on it...

MANY don't USE CONDOM in having SEX...they are SHY in buying in the store.....

many even don't know that HIV is FAST spreading in the country....they thought it's in other countries.....

without knowing, just like a TIME BOMB, sooner, the NUMBERS will EXPLODE....

goodluck Philippines....

there was a plan to integrate Reproductive Health (which includes HIV/AIDS) in High School Curriculum but wasn't pursue....

the Department of Education and the Catholic Church seems to be sleeping....

they don't know the REAL scenario....all they SPEAK is MORALITY....

I think Reproductive Health/ HIV/AIDS Education is not about MORALITY....it is a way of providing informed choices to the public.....if they really want to COMBAT HIV, then they must EMPOWER the public!!!

EDUCATION and APPLICATION is the MAIN SOLUTION.....

the YOUTHs of this country are really facing the DANGER of HIV/AIDS....I think it's their right to be informed.....they have their RIGHT to HEALTH....

the politicians and leaders of the Philippines are VERY BUSY with their sellfishness....

the 2007 ELECTION is fast approaching....for sure, many of THEM are BUSY for making up their BUDGETS....huhuhuhu...POOR Philippines....

the RICH seems to be richer...and the POOR seems to be poorer....

well anyway, I am with my support group right now based here in Manila - Makati area. I've meet a lot of Filipino HIV+ with different walks in life....

most of them are Overseas Filipino Workers who contracted the VIRUS while working ABROAD.....many worked in Saudi Arabia and the Middle East before.....

when I had my first monitoring at San Lazaro Hospital (the number 1 hospital in the country that specialize in infectious diseases....), I only had my CD4 cells count test and other basic laboratory testing, they don't have VIRAL LOAD count and I don't know if where in this country they have VIRAL LOAD COUNT....although I got those testing for free....

I've heard that there is viral load count in the country but cost a lot...in an expensive hospital....

there are ARV MEDS here, they bought from INDIA, it's CHEAP actually and sometimes FREE....but they only give when your CD4 cells count drops below 250....or if you have OIs (opportunistics infections)....

hmmmmm....with the fast growing of Tuberculosis (TB) in the Philippines, I wonder if this is an indicator of growing cases of HIV....hehe!

I know that there are those Filipinos who are infected but they don't know their status....

I've seen the scenario....many guys are involving in RISKY behaviors.....

when I disclosed my status in a Filipino GAY/Bisexual website (I am using a screen name Luigi/Alex, dyingYOUNG), many actually don't believe I am POZ....they're really thinking that HIV is FAR...that they won't have it...

I got HIV through LOCAL TRANSMISSION....I haven't been to any country yet....so where is the GUY that infected me? In my SEX History, all of my partners look HEALTHY....

SEX everywhere.....SEX anywhere....

it really sucks.....

really, goodluck to Philippines....

God bless....

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 09:10:01 am by dyingYOUNG19 »
the day you knew why...

I will live this DAY as if my LAST. This DAY is ALL I HAVE and these HOURS are my ETERNITY...

Offline dyingYOUNG19

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 08:57:36 am »
I have QUESTION for everyone, pls tell me your opinion or knowledge on this....

I've heard from my CRITICS in a Filipino Bisexual/Gay Website that NEXT YEAR, 2007, the Professional Regulation Commission of the Philippines will have mandatory HIV Antibody Testing as a requirement for all nursing/medical students before taking their BOARD EXAM (Licensure Exam)....

these CRITICS of mine are actually into MEDICAL FIELD (dentist and doctor) and also GAYs/BISEXUALS,

and they are telling me that I have no right to become a Registered Nurse because I am infected with HIV....

I am actually worried on this although it's just FINE with me if ever I won't really become an R.N. since all I want is to finish college and have my diploma for my family....

well, do you think this move is LEGAL? I haven't heard something like this in OTHER COUNTRIES....

it seems that the Philippines is inventing something out of the USUAL thing.... CRAZY...if they'll do this thing.....

my CRITICS told me that they will bring the issue to their Medical/DENTAL/Nursing Associations because they don't want me to become a Nurse....and they don't want sick people in the field....

hehehehhee....they're actually sick...with their narrow heads.....they said I will spread the virus if I will become a nurse....

what will I do then? I won't work and will just sleep on my bed until my last day comes?

hmmm...anyway my support group is always open for a job for people like me....(hopefully!)

what do you think? thanks for your time....
the day you knew why...

Offline dyingYOUNG19

PHILIPPINES AIDS LAW
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 10:02:05 am »
Republic of the Philippines

Congress of the Philippines

Metro Manila

Tenth Congress

Third Regular Session

Begun and held in Metro Manila, on Monday the twenty-eight day of July,

Nineteen hundred and ninety-seven.

Republic Act No. 8504

AN ACT OF PROMULGATING POLICIES AND PRESCRIBING MEASURES
FOR THE PREVENTION AND CONTROL OF HIV/AIDS IN THE PHILIPPINES, INSTITUTING A NATIONWIDE HIV/AIDS INFORMATION AND EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM, ESTABLISHING A COMPREHENSIVE HIV/AIDS MONITORING SYSTEM, STRENGTHENING THE PHILIPPINE NATIONAL AIDS COUNCIL,
AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES

SEC.1.Title. This Act shall be known as the "Philippine AIDS Prevention and Control Act of 1998"

SEC.2.Declaration of Policies. - Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) is a disease that recognizes no territorial, social , political and economic boundaries for which there is no known cure. The gravity of the AIDS threat demands strong State action today, thus :

a)    The State shall promote public awareness about the causes. Modes of transmission, consequences, means of prevention and control of HIV/AIDS through a comprehensive nationwide educational and information campaign organized and conducted by the State. Such campaigns shall promote value formation and employ scientifically proven approaches, focus on the family as a basic social unit, and be carried out in all schools and training centers, workplaces, and communities. This program shall involve affected individuals and groups, including people living with HIV/AIDS.

b)    The state shall extend to every person suspected or known to be infected with HIV/AIDS full protection of his/her human rights and civil liberties. Towards this end,
         1. maternal, infant and child health and nutrition;
         2. family planning information and services;
         3. prevention of abortion and management of its complications;
         4. adolescent and youth health;
         5. prevention and management of reproductive tract infections (RTIs), HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmittable infections (STIs);
         6. elimination of violence against women;
         7. education and counseling on sexuality and sexual health;
         8. treatment of breast and reproductive tract cancers and other gynecological conditions;
         9. male involvement and participation in reproductive health;
        10. prevention and treatment of infertility and sexual dysfunction;

c)    The State shall promote utmost safely and universal precautions in practices and procedures that carry the risk of HIV transmission.

d)    The state shall positively address and seek to eradicate conditions that aggravate the spread of HIV infection, including but not limited to, poverty, gender inequality, prostitution, marginalization, drug and ignorance.

SEC.3.Definition of Terms. - As used in this Act, the following terms are defined as follows:

a)    "Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS)" - a condition characterized by a combination of signs and symptoms, caused by HIV contracted from another persons and which attacks and weakens the body's immune system, making the afflicted individual susceptible to other life - threatening infections.

b)    "Anonymous Testing" - refers to an HIV testing procedure whereby the individual being tested does not reveal his/her true identify. An identifying number or symbol is used to substitute for the name and allows the laboratory conducting the test and person on whom the test is conducted to match the test results with the identifying number or symbol.

c)    "Compulsory HIV Testing" - refers to HIV testing imposed upon a person attended or characterized by the lack of consent, use of physical force, intimidation or any form of compulsion.

d)    "Contact Tracing" - refers to the method of finding and counseling the sexual partner(s) of a person who has been diagnosed as having sexually transmitted disease.

e)    "Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)" - refers to the virus which causes AIDS.
      f)    "HIV/AIDS Monitoring" - refers to the documentation and analysis of the number of HIV/AIDS infection and the pattern of its spread.

g)    "HIV/AIDS Prevention and Control" - refers to the measures aimed at protecting non-infected persons from contracting HIV and minimizing the impact of the condition of persons living with HIV.

h)    "HIV-positive" - refers the presence of HIV infection as documented by the presence of HIV or HIV antibodies in the sample being tested.

i)    "HIV negative" - denotes the absence of HIV or HIV antibodies upon HIV testing.

j)    "HIV Transmission" - refers to the transfer of HIV from the infected person to an uninfected individual, most commonly through sexual intercourse, blood transfusion, sharing of intravenous needles and during pregnancy.

k)    "High Risk Behavior" - refers to a person's frequent involvement in certain activities which increase the risk of transmitting or acquiring HIV.

l)    "Informed Consent" - refers to the voluntary agreement of a person to undergo or be subjected to a procedure based on full information, whether such permission is written, conveyed verbally, or expressed indirectly.

m)    "Medical Confidentiality" - refers to the relationship of trust and confidence crated or existing between a patient or a person with HIV and his attending physician, consulting medical specialist, nurse, medical technologist and all other health workers or personnel involved in any counseling, testing or professional care of the former, it also applies to any person who, in any official capacity, has acquired or may have acquired such confidential information.

n)    "Person with HIV" - refers to an individual whose HIV test indicates, directly or indirectly, that he/she is infected with HIV.

o)    "Pre-Test Counseling" - refers to the process of providing an individual information on the biomedical aspects of HIV/AIDS and emotional support to any psychologist implications of undergoing HIV testing and the test result itself before he/she is subjected to the test.
      p)    "Post-Test Counseling" - refers to the process of providing risk-reduction information and emotional support to a person who submitted to HIV testing at the time that the test result is released.

q)    "Prophylactic" - refers to any agent or device use to prevent the transmission of a disease.

r)    "Sexually Transmitted Diseases" - refers to any disease that may be acquired or passed through sexual contact.

s)    "Voluntary HIV Testing" - refers to HIV testing done on an individual who, after having undergone pre-test counseling, willingly submits himself/herself to such test.

t)    "Window Period" - refers to the period of time, usually lasting from two weeks to six months during which an infected individual will test "negative" upon HIV testing but can actually transmit the infection.

ARTICLE I

EDUCATION AND INFORMATION

SEC.4.HIV/AIDS Education in Schools. - The Department of Education, Culture and Sports (DECS), the Commission on Higher Education (CHED), and the Technical Education and Skill Development Authority (TESDA), utilizing official information provided by the Department of Health, shall integrate instruction on the causes, modes of transmission and ways of preventing HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases in subjects taught in public and private schools at intermediate grades, secondary and tertiary levels, including non-formal and indigenous learning systems: Provided, that if the integration of HIV/AIDS education is not appropriate or feasible, the DECS and TESDA shall design special modules on HIV/AIDS prevention and control: Provided, further, That it shall not be used as an excuse to propagate birth control or the sale or distribution of birth control devices: Provided, finally, That it does not utilize sexually explicit materials.

Flexibility in the formulation and adoption of appropriate course content, scope, and methodology in each educational level or group shall be allowed after consultations with Parent-Teachers-Community Associations, Private School Associations, school officials, and other interest groups. As such no, instruction shall be offered to minors without adequate prior consultation with parents who must agree to the thrust and content of the instruction materials.

All teachers and instructors of said HIV/AIDS courses shall be required to undergo a seminar or training on HIV/AIDS prevention and control to be supervised by DECS, CHED and TESDA, in coordination with Department of Health (DOH), thereby they are allowed to teach on the subject.

SEC.5.HIV/AIDS Information as a Health Service - HIV/AIDS education and information dissemination shall form part of the delivery of health services by health practitioners, workers and personnel. The knowledge and capabilities of all public health workers shall be enhanced to include skills for proper information dissemination and education on HIV/AIDS. It shall likewise be considered a civic duty of health providers in the private sectors to make available to the public such information necessary to control the spread of HIV/AIDS and to correct common misconceptions about this disease. The training of health workers shall include discussions on HIV-related ethical issues such as confidentiality, informed consent and the duty to private treatment.

SEC.6.HIV/AIDS Education in the Workplace - All government and private employees, workers, managers, and supervisors, including members of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the Philippine National Police (PNP), shall be provided with standardized basic information and instruction on HIV/AIDS which shall include topics on confidentiality in the workplace and attitude towards infected employees and workers. In collaboration with the Department of Health (DOH), Secretary of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) shall oversee the anti-HIV/AIDS campaign in all private companies while the Armed Forces Chief of Staff and the Director General of the PNP shall oversee the implementation of this section.

SEC.7.HIV/AIDS Education for Filipinos Going Abroad - The State shall ensure that all overseas Filipino workers and diplomatic, military, trade, and labor officials and personnel to be assigned overseas shall undergo or attend a seminar on the cause, prevention and consequences of HIV/AIDS before certification for overseas assigned. The Department of Labor and Employment or the Department of Foreign Affairs, the Department of Tourism and the Department of Justice through the Bureau of Immigration, as the case may be, in collaboration with the Department of Health (DOH), shall oversee the implementation of this Section.

SEC.8.Information Campaign for Tourist and Transients. - Informational AIDS or material on the cause, modes of transmission, prevention, and consequences of HIV infection shall be adequately provided at all international ports of entry and exit. The Department of Tourism, the Department of Foreign Affairs, the Department of Tourism and the Department of Justice through the Bureau of Immigration, in collaboration with the Department of Health (DOH), shall oversee the implementation of this Act.

SEC.9.HIV/AIDS Education in the Communities - Local government units, in collaboration with the Department of health (DOH), shall conduct an educational and information campaign on HIV/AIDS. The provincial governor, city municipal mayor and the barangay captain shall coordinate such campaign among concerned government agencies, non-government organizations church-based groups.

SEC.10.Information on Prophylactics - Appropriate information shall be attached to provided with every prophylactic offered for sale or given as a donation. Such information shall be legibly printed in English and Filipino, and contain literature on the proper use of the prophylactics device or agent, its efficacy against HIV and STD infection, as well as the importance of sexual abstinence and mutual fidelity.

SEC.11.Penalties for Misleading Information - Misinformation on HIV/AIDS prevention and control through false and misleading advertising and claims in any of the tri-media or the promotional marketing of drugs, devices, agents or procedures without prior approval from the Department of Health and Bureau of Food and Drugs and the requisite medical and scientific basis, including markings and indications in drugs and devices or agents, purporting to be a cure or a fail-safe prophylactic for HIV infection is punishable with a penalty of imprisonment for two (2) months to 2 (2) years, without prejudice to the imposition of administrative sanctions such as fines and suspension or revocation of professional or business license.

ARTICLE II

SAFE PRACTICES AND PROCEDURES

SEC.12.Requirement on the Donation of Blood, Tissue, or Organ. - No laboratory or institution shall accept a donation of tissue or organ, whether such donation is gratuitous or onerous, unless a sample from the donor has been tested negative for HIV. All donated blood shall also be subjected to HIV(+) blood shall be disposed of properly and immediately. A second testing may be demanded as a matter of right by the blood, tissue, or organ recipient or his immediate relatives before transfusion or transplant, except during emergency cases: Provided, That donations of blood, tissue or organ testing positive for HIV my be accepted for research purposes only, and subject to strict sanitary disposal requirements.

SEC.13.Guidelines on Surgical and Similar Procedures - The Department of Health (DOH), in consultation and in coordination with concerned professional organizations and hospital associations, shall issue guidelines on precautions against HIV transmission during surgical, dental, embalming, tattooing or similar procedures. The DOH shall likewise issue guidelines on the handling and disposition of cadavers, body fluids or wastes of persons known or believed to be HIV-positive.

The necessary protective equipment such as gloves, goggles and gowns, shall be made available to all physicians and health care providers and similarly exposed personnel at all times.

SEC.14.Penalties for Unsafe Practices and Procedures - Any person who knowingly or negligently causes another to get infected with HIV in the course of the practice of his/her profession through unsafe and unsanitary practice or procedure is liable to is liable to suffer a penalty of imprisonment for six (6) years to twelve years, without prejudice to the imposition of administrative sanctions such as, but not limited to, fines and suspension or revocation of the license to practice his/her profession. The permit or license of any business entity and the accreditation of hospitals, laboratory, or clinics may be cancelled or withdrawn if said establishments fail to maintain such safe practices and procedures as may be required by the guidelines to be formulated in compliance with section 13 of this Act.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 10:04:24 am by dyingYOUNG19 »
the day you knew why...

Offline dyingYOUNG19

PHILIPPINES AIDS LAW
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 10:02:53 am »
ARTICLE III

TESTING, SCREENING AND COUNSELING

SEC.15.Consent as a Requisite for HIV Testing - No compulsory HIV testing shall be allowed. However, the State shall encourage voluntary testing for individuals with a high risk for contracting HIV: Provided, That written informed consent must first be obtained. Such consent shall be obtained from the person concerned if he/she is of legal age or from the parents of legal guardian in the case of minor or a mentally incapacitated individuals. Lawful consent to HIV of a donated human body, organ, tissue or blood shall be considered as having been given when:

a)    a person volunteers or freely agrees to donate his/her blood, organ or tissue for transfusion, transplantation, or research;

b)    a person has executed a legacy in accordance with Section 3 Republic Act No. 7110, also known as the "Organ Donation Act of 1991",

c)    a donation is executed in accordance with Section 4 of Republic Act No. 7110.

SEC.16.Prohibitions on Compulsory HIV Testing - Compulsory HIV testing as a precondition to employment, admission to educational institutions, the exercise of freedom of abode, entry or continued stay on the country, or the right to travel, the provision of medical service or any other kind of service, of the continued enjoyment of said undertakings shall be deemed unlawful.

SEC.17.Exception to the Prohibition on Compulsory Testing - Compulsory HIV testing may be allowed only in the following instances :

a)    When a person is charged with any of the crimes punishable under Articles 264 and 266 as amended by Republic Act No. 8353, 335 and 338 of Republic Act No. 3815, otherwise known as the "Revised Penal Code" or under Republic Act No. 7659;

b)    When the determination of the HIV status is necessary to resolve relevant issues under Executive Order No. 309, otherwise known as the "Family Code of the Philippines"; and

c)    When complying with the provisions of republic Act No. 7170, otherwise known as the "Organ Donation Act" and Republic Act" and Republic Act No. 7719, otherwise known as the "National Blood Services Act".

SEC.18.Anonymous HIV Testing - The State shall provide a mechanism for anonymous HIV testing and shall guarantee anonymous HIV testing and shall guarantee anonymity and medical confidentiality in the conduct of such test.

SEC.19.Accreditation of HIV Testing Centers - All testing centers hospitals, clinics, and laboratories offering HIV testing services are mandated to seek accreditation from the Department of Health which shall set and maintain reasonable accreditation standards.

SEC.20.Pre-test and Post-test Counseling - All testing centers, clinics, or laboratories which perform any HIV test shall be required to provide and conduct free-test counseling and post-test counseling for persons who avail of their HIV/AIDS testing services. However, such counseling services must be provided only by person who meet the standards set by the DOH.

SEC.21.Support for HIV Testing Centers - The Department of Health shall strategically build and enhance the capabilities for HIV testing of hospitals, clinics, laboratories, and other testing centers primarily by ensuring the training of competent personnel who will provide such services in said testing sites.

ARTICLE IV

HEALTH AND SUPPORT SERVICES

SEC.22.Hospital-Based Services - Persons with HIV/AIDS shall be afforded basic health services in all government hospitals, without prejudice to optimum care which may be provided by special AIDS wards and hospitals.

SEC.23.Community-Based Services - Local Government units, in coordination and in cooperation with concerned government agencies, non-government organizations, persons with HIV/AIDS and groups most at risk of HIV infection shall provide community-based HIV/AIDS prevention and care services.

SEC.24.Livelihood Programs and Trainings - Trainings for livelihood, self-help cooperative programs shall be made accessible and available to all persons with HIV/AIDS. Persons infected with HIV/AIDS shall not be deprived of full participation in any livelihood, self-help and cooperative programs for reason of their health conditions.

SEC.25.Control of Sexually Transmitted Diseases - The Department of Health, in coordination and in cooperation with concern government agencies and non-government organizations shall pursue the prevention and control of sexually transmitted diseases to help contain the spread of HIV infection.

SEC.26.Insurance for Person with HIV - The Secretary of Health, in cooperation with the Commission and other public and private insurance agencies, shall conduct a study on the feasibility and viability of setting up a package of insurance benefits and, should such study warrant it, implement an insurance coverage program for persons with HIV. The study shall be guided by the principle that access to health insurance is part of an individual's right to health and is the responsibility of the State and of society as a whole.

ARTICLE V

MONITORING

SEC.27.Monitoring Program - A comprehensive HIV/AIDS monitoring program or "AIDSWATCH" shall be established under the Department of Health to determine and monitor the magnitude and progression of HIV infection in the Philippines, and for the purpose of evaluating the adequacy and efficacy of the countermeasures being employed.

SEC.28.Reporting Procedures - All hospitals, clinics, laboratories, and testing centers for HIV/AIDS shall adopt measures in assuring the reporting and confidentiality of any medical record, personal data, file, including all data which may be accessed from various data banks or information systems. The Department of Health through its AIDSWATCH monitoring program shall receive, collate and evaluate all HIV/AIDS related medical client anonymity.

SEC.29.Contact Tracing - HIV/AIDS contact tracing and all other related health intelligence activities may be pursued by the Department of Health: Provided, That these do not run counter to the general purpose of this Act: Provided, further, That any information gathered shall remain confidential and classified, and can only be used for statistical and monitoring purposes and not as basis or qualification for any employment, school attendance, freedom of abode, or travel.

ARTICLE VI

CONFIDENTIALITY

SEC.30.Medical Confidentiality - All health professional, medical instructions, workers, employers, recruitment agencies, insurance companies, data encoders, and other custodians of any medical record, file, data, or test results as directed to strictly observe confidentiality in the handling of all medical information, particularly the identify and status of persons with HIV.

SEC.31.Exceptions to the Mandate of Confidentiality - Medical confidentiality shall not be considered breached in the following cases:

a)    when complying with reportorial requirements in conjunction with the AIDSWATCH program as provided in Section 27 of this Act;

b)    when informing other health workers directly involved or about to be involved in the treatment or care of a person with HIV/AIDS: Provided, That such treatment or care carry the risk of HIV transmission: Provided, further, That such workers shall be obliged to maintain the shared medical confidentiality;

c)    when responding to a subpoena duces tecum and subpoena ad testificandum issued by a Court with jurisdiction aver a legal proceedings where the main issue is the HIV status of an individual: Provided, That the confidential medical record shall be properly sealed by its lawful custodian after being double-checked for accuracy by the head of the office or department, hand delivered, and personally opened by the judge: Provided, further, That the judicial proceedings be held in executive session.

SEC.32.Release of HIV/AIDS Test Results - All results of HIV/AIDS testing shall be confidential and shall be released only to the following persons:

a)    the person who submitted himself/herself to such test;

b)    either parent of a minor child who has been tested;

c)    a legal guardian in the case of insane persons or orphans;

d)    a person authorized to receive such results in conjunction with the AIDSWATCH program as provided in Section 27 of this Act;

e)    a justice of the Court of Appeals or the Supreme Court, as provided under Subsection (c) of this Act and on accordance with the provision of Section 16 hereof.

SEC.33.Penalties for Violations of Confidentiality - Any violation of medical confidentiality as provided in Section 30 and 32 of this Act shall suffer the penalty of imprisonment for six (6) months to four (4) years, without prejudice to administrative sanctions such as fines and suspension or revocation of the violator's license to practice his/her profession, as well as the cancellation or withdrawal of the license to operate any business entity and the accreditation of hospitals, laboratories or clinics.

SEC.34.Disclosure to Sexual Partners - Any person with HV is obliged to disclose his/her HIV status and health condition to his/her spouse or sexual partner at the earliest opportune tine.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 10:05:19 am by dyingYOUNG19 »
the day you knew why...

Offline dyingYOUNG19

PHILIPPINES AIDS LAW
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 10:03:31 am »
ARTICLE VII

DISCRIMINATORY ACTS AND POLICIES

SEC.35.Discrimination in the Workplace - Discrimination in any from pre-employment to post-employment, including hiring, promotion or assignment, based on the actual, perceived or suspected HIV status of an individual is prohibited. Termination from work on the sole basis of actual, perceived or suspected HIV status is deemed unlawful.

SEC.36.Discrimination in Schools - No educational institution shall refuse admission or expel, discipline, segregate, deny participation, benefits or services to a student or prospective student on the basis of his/her actual, perceived or suspected HIV status.

SEC.37.Restriction on Travel and Habitation - The freedom of abode, lodging and travel of a person with HIV shall no be abridged. No person shall be quarantined, placed, placed in isolation, or refused lawful entry into or deported from the Philippine territory on account of his/her actual, perceived or suspected HIV status.

SEC.38.Inhibition from Public Service - The right to seek an elective or appointive public office shall be denied to a person with HIV.

SEC.39.Exclusion from Credit and Insurance Services - All credit and loan services, including health, accident and life insurance shall not be denied to a person on the basis of his/her actual, perceived or suspected HIV status: Provided, That the person with HIV has not concealed or misrepresented the fact to the insurance company upon application. Extension and continuation of credit and loan shall likewise not be denied solely on the basis of said health condition.

SEC.40.Discrimination in Hospitals and Health Institutions - No person shall be denied health care service or be charged with a higher fee on account of actual, perceived or suspected HIV status.

SEC.41.Denial of Burial Services - A deceased person who had AIDS or who was known, suspected or perceived to be HIV-positive shall not be denied any kind of decent burial services.

SEC.42.Penalties of Discriminatory Acts and Policies - All discriminatory acts and policies referred to in this act shall be punishable with a penalty of imprisonment for six (6) months to four (4) years and a fine not exceeding Ten Thousand Pesos (P 10,000.00). In addition, licenses/permits of schools, hospitals and other institutions found guilty of committing discriminatory acts and policies described in this Act shall be revoked.

ARTICLE VIII

THE PHILIPPINE NATIONAL AIDS COUNCIL

SEC.43.Establishment - The Philippine National AIDS Council (PNAC) created by virtue of Executive Order No. 39 dated 3 December 1992 shall be reconstituted and strengthened to enable the Council to oversee an integrated and comprehensive approach to HIV/AIDS prevention and control in the Philippines. It shall be attached to the Department of Health.

SEC.44.Function - The Council shall be the central advisory, planning and policy-making body for the comprehensive and integrated HIV/AIDS prevention and control program in the Philippines. The Council shall perform the following functions:

a)    Secure from government agencies concerned recommendations on how their respective agencies could operationalize specific provisions of this act. The Council shall integrate and coordinate such recommendations and issue implementing rules and regulations of this Act. The Council shall likewise ensure that there is adequate coverage of the following:
         1. The institution of a nationwide HIV/AIDS information and education program;
         2. The establishment of a comprehensive HIV/AIDS monitoring system;
         3. The issuance of guidelines on medical and other practices and procedures that carry the risk of HIV transmission;
         4. The provision of accessible and affordable HIV testing and counseling services to those who are in need of it;
         5. The provision of acceptable health and support services for persons with HIV/AIDS in hospitals and in communities;
         6. The protection and promotion of the rights of individuals with HIV; and
         7. The strict observance of medical confidentiality.

b)    Monitor the implementation of the rules and regulations of this Act, issue or cause the issuance of orders or make recommendations to the implementing agencies as the Council consider appropriate;

c)    Develop a comprehensive long-term national HIV/AIDS prevention and control program and monitor its implementation;

d)    Coordinate the activities of and strengthen working relationships between government and non-government agencies involved in the campaign against HIV/AIDS;

e)    Coordinate and cooperate with foreign and international organizations regarding data collection, research and treatment modalities concerning HIV/AIDS; and

f)    Evaluate the adequacy of and make recommendations regarding the utilization of national resources for the prevention and control of HIV/AIDS in the Philippines.

SEC.45.Membership and Composition

a)    The Council shall be composed of twenty-six (26) members as follows:
         1. The Secretary of the Department of Health;
         2. The Secretary of the Department of Education, Culture and Sports or his representative;
         3. The Chairperson of the Commission on Higher Education or his representative;
         4. The Director General of the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority or his representative;
         5. The Secretary of the Department of Labor and Employment or his representative;
         6. The Secretary of the Department of Social Welfare and Development or his representative;
         7. The Secretary of the Department of Interior and Local Government or his representative;
         8. The Secretary of the Department of Justice or his representative;
         9. The Director-General of the National Economic and Development Authority or his representative;
        10. The Secretary of the Department of Tourism or his representative;
        11. The Secretary of the Department of Budget and Management or his representative;
        12. The Secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs or his representative;
        13. The Head of the Philippine Information Agency or his representative;
        14. The President of the League of Governors or his representative;
        15. The President of the League of Mayors or his representative;
        16. The Chairperson of the Committee on Health of the Senate of the Philippines or his representative;
        17. The Chairperson of the Committee on Health of the House of Representatives or his representative;
        18. Two (2) representatives from organizations of medical/health professionals;
        19. Six (6) representatives from non-government organizations involved in HIV/AIDS prevention and control efforts or activities; and
        20. A representative of an organization of persons dealing with HIV/AIDS.

b)    To the greatest extent possible, appointment to the Council must ensure sufficient and discernible representation from the fields of medicine, education, health care, law, labor, ethics and social services;

c)    All members of the Council shall be appointed by the President of the Republic of the Philippines, except for the representatives of the Senate and the House of Representatives, who shall be appointed by the Senate President and the House Speaker respectively;

d)    The members of the Council shall be appointed not later than thirty (30) days after the date of the enactment of this Act;

e)    The Secretary of Health shall be permanent chairperson of the Council; however, the vice-chairperson shall be elected by its members from among themselves, and shall serve for a term of two (2) years; and

f)    For members representing medical/health professional groups and the six (6) non-government organizations, they shall serve for a term of two (2) years, renewable upon recommendation of the Council.

SEC.46.Reports - The Council shall submit to the President and to both Houses of Congress comprehensive annual reports on the activities and accomplishments of the Council. Such annual reports shall contain assessment and evaluation of intervention programs, plans and strategies for the medium- and long-term prevention and control on HIV/AIDS in the Philippines.

SEC.47.Creation of Special HIV/AIDS Prevention and Control Service - There shall be created in the Department of Health a Special HIV/AIDS Prevention and Control Service staffed by qualified medical specialist and support staff with permanent appointment and supported with an adequate yearly budget. It shall implement programs on HIV/AIDS prevention and Control. In addition, it shall also serve as the secretariat of the Council.

SEC.48.Appropriations - The amount of Twenty Million Pesos (P 20,000,000.00) shall be initially appropriated out of the funds of the National Treasury. Subsequent appropriations shall be provided by Congress in the Annual budget of the Department of Health under the General Appropriations Act.

ARTICLE IX

MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS

SEC.49.Implementing Rules and Regulations - Within six (6) months after it is fully reconstituted, the Council shall formulate and issue the appropriate rules and regulations necessary for the implementation of this Act.

SEC.50.Separability Clause - If any provision of this Act is declared invalid, the remainder of this Act or any provision not affected thereby shall remain in force and effect.

SEC.51.Repealing Clause - All laws, presidential decrees, executive orders and their implementing rules inconsistent with the provision of this Act are hereby repealed, amended or modified accordingly.

SEC.52.Effectivity - This Act shall take effect fifteen (15) days after its publication on at least two (2) national newspapers of general circulation.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 10:06:25 am by dyingYOUNG19 »
the day you knew why...

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 12:33:51 am »

Welcome. You're going to learn alot here, and laugh alot too. If holistic health is one of your interests, we have a few holistic minded members here, me for one

Offline dyingYOUNG19

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 11:46:06 am »
just passing by....

hello world!
the day you knew why...

Offline dyingYOUNG19

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 09:34:34 am »
hello there, it has been a long time since I've been here....

how's life there?

anyway, life here in the Philippines is still FINE...

as what I've heard from my POZ friend...the MACHINE for CD4 cells count is UNAVAILABLE at this time in the hospital that cater HIV/AIDS in Manila. I think it's not functioning...hehe!

hmmmm....I have few more months to finish college.

Although I am POZ, I am optimistic that there is still a BRIGHT FUTURE ahead of me....

the day you knew why...

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 08:44:20 pm »
how's life there?

"there" as in here?  ;)  ... sunny and wonderful

Offline jegan

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 10:15:35 pm »
Hi there DY,

Im the filipino guy who emailed you...kamusta? i hope everything ok... nway, just dropping by

Offline dyingYOUNG19

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2006, 07:33:50 am »
hello JEGAN...it's vacation time...

classes for colleges and universities in PHIL will resume by November 6...

hehe...I hope you're fine now, did i answer you right with your querries?
the day you knew why...

Offline dyingYOUNG19

NATIONAL AIDS DAY in the PHILIPPINES...
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 02:23:51 am »
well, December1, it's NATIONAL AIDS DAY in the Philippines but SAD to SAY, I don't hear anything on it....

so what I did is that...I have my TEXT BRIGADE, I spread a message through mobile and internet saying:

Today, December 1, the globe commemorates
the WORLD AIDS DAY...

Let us offer a prayer for the millions of people around the globe who are suffering from HIV/AIDS including the 2,600+ FILIPINOS...

and bring awareness to everyone the RESPONSIBILITIES we have to STOP AIDS!

---------------

I will watch local NEWS later if they have something to report on HIV/AIDS in the Philippines...
the day you knew why...

Offline hiv+nurse

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 06:30:37 pm »
hi! i am a Reg Nurse and was supposed to migrate in US but i lost the opportunity upon failing the medical exam because the result says i am HIV positive. As a hopeful USRN, this seems to be the end of everything. i already considered myself  a "dead man walking". in fact, i already have plans of ending my life, considering the baskets of shame i have to go through with this. Right now, i really don't know how to deal with this... u mentioned about a support group.. do you think i need one for myself? honestly, i really wanted to talk this out with anybody whom i can or can relate to the stigma i am facing right now. If you could refer me to any support group here in manila, that would be greatly appreciated.. thank you and May God Bless us all.   

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 08:19:10 pm »
Dear hiv+nurse:

You've just made a post in a thread that's been inactive for 1.5 years.  You may want to start an entirely new thread to address whatever concerns you may have about your HIV diagnosis.  I realize that you did this because both you and dyingYOUNG19 live in the Manila, but he may or may not see this post for a while.  You may wish to send him a "private message" (click on his screen name to do this and near the bottom of the page you will see "Send this member a personal message.)

Welcome to aidsmeds, and I hope you stay to talk some more.

(ps:  if you are actually having suicidal thoughts you probably should bypass a support group and seek out a one-on-one licensed therapist to quickly address this potential danger)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 10:45:58 pm »
Hiv+nurse, I totally agree with Philly267 on this.  If you have plans on ending your life, please seek help; and soon. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline dgr20002

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 11:10:35 pm »
HIV + nurse

Please seek help immediately. Keep posting as well because you can not send any private messages until you have posted at least 3 (i believe) public messages here.

David

Offline hiv+nurse

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 12:35:55 am »
 Dear to you ... (philly267,Bettytacy,dgr20002)
  Thnk you so much for taking time in responding to my message.. I am new to this site and I am technically poor of the mechanics whatsoever of the site.. but your responded just right that i am now learning.  somehow, receiving a note from you makes my burden a little bit lighter. THANK YOU..

Offline hiv+nurse

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 12:41:21 am »
I am now trying to access to some HIV hot line here in my country (Manila, Philippines). Hope I could soon find people whom I could share this burden with. again my gratitude for your concern...Thank you...

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 08:27:15 am »
Hiv+nurse, I'm relieved to see you continuing to post.  Please keep us updated and good luck.
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline paolo10954

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 11:29:26 pm »
HIV+Nurse,

My name is Paolo and I've been positive since 2003. I'm also Filipino, born and raised in Manila. You can PM me anytime, and please continue  to take time reading and posting here. This Forum and its members have helped numerous people like you and me in living with HIV. You can't find a better community of caring individuals. Because of the members, the insights, countless displays of genuine concern and friendship, living with HIV has become easier for us.

I can only imagine how it is to be positive while living in the Philippines. It's difficult, but by no means is it futile. Hope to hear from you again.

Paolo
jun03     hiv negative
dec03     tested positive
mar05     cd4 698  vl 23221 no meds
jul05       cd4 660  vl 2962 no meds
dec05     cd4 553  vl 5412 no meds
mar06     cd4 610  vl 3158 no meds
june06    cd4 523  vl 3924 no meds
dec06     cd4 616  vl 1236 no meds
march07  cd4 536  vl 1331 no meds
june07    cd4 486  vl   820 no meds
sept07     cd4 576  vl  380  no meds
aug08     cd4 530  vl 1725 no meds
april09    cd4 428  vl  1059 no meds
july09     cd4 511  vl   533 no meds
jan10      cd4 380  vl  1200 no meds
mar10     cd4 262  vl  2389 no meds
april28, 2010 started on Isentress and Truvada
july10     cd4 340  vl undetectable
nov10     cd4 431  vl undetectable
march11  cd4 350  vl undetectable

Offline phil_alone

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 09:37:56 am »
hi paolo

My name is kevin, 20 years old, also a filipino....im currently in the same situation as dying_young and im in a state where in i barely keeping myself up....im so scared paolo :'(....i dont know where to go to....i tried to kill myself several times but i cant do it.....i feel so alone....i dont know what to do....Right now, i really need a support, just to make me strong enough to graduate this year....for my parents happiness that they could see me in stage getting my diploma....hiv+nurse was right i feel like i am dead man walking....heres my email address  daniel_burg10@yahoo.com....i would really really appreciate if we could have a contact with each other...God Bless and stay well

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2008, 02:14:01 pm »
Phil_alone,

If you're feeling like killing yourself, I urge you to get some professional help.  I know it looks glum right now, but you don't have to die young.  Since you're in the Phillipines, I don't know off hand of any place in particular to suggest, but I'm sure a qualified counselor/therapist would be able to help you. 

Congratulations on graduating.  What are you graduating with (degree/certificate)?  That's a big accomplishment.  I've been diagnosed since 1989, and I'm completing a bachelor's right now.  Life can go on.  Please take care and keep in touch with us.
  Luv,
Betty

Offline dyingYOUNG19

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 02:45:57 am »
Hello there! I am so sorry if I replied very late. I wasn't able to check this website until I received an e-mail about it.

I am sorry to hear your stories guys. All I can say is 'BE STRONG...' Life doesn't end by being HIV+...

look at me, I am travelling the WORLD and is still holding on to my dreams. I've been POZ since March 2006 yet I am still not on ARV, Praise God!

I am out of the country, I am currently in the United States. I attended a meeting on HIV & AIDS and I continued for a vacation. I will be home by the 1st week of July.

@phil_alone, I hope to meet you when I am in the Philippines but we must schedule an early date coz I am living again for another international meeting and I might be out of the Philippines for a long time. I have your contact number with me...

If you want, I will introduce you to my group. Also, I have some friends who are young people living with HIV and for sure we can help you a lot.

you can visit the following website:

www.youthaidsfilipinasalliance.ning.com

As a nurse, you have so many opportunities in the field of HIV & AIDS. I was the same as you wayback 2006, that time I am on my 3rd year college in  my BS Nursing Degree.

But after graduating and passing the Licensure Examination, I started to go to international places to represent the country in various meetings, conferences and trainings...you can do the same thing as what I am doing now...I will teach you how but there are some pre-requisites, which include the following:

*you must be BRAVE enough to face your situation and live a NORMAL Life...
*accept what you have and who you are...
*believe in yourself and in the power of your mind...

remember, that BLESSINGS do come in the middle of DISASTER...

if you have those attitudes, then I can be your COACH in having a meaningful and productive life that I am experiencing now...

there is a saying...

GET AIDS and TRAVEL the WORLD...

at the Age of 21, I am PROUD of my ACHEIVEMENTS despite being POZ, you may want to be like me as well.

welcome to POZ Family!
the day you knew why...

Offline dyingYOUNG19

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 02:56:38 am »
there are only 2 NATIONAL SUPPORT GROUPS for Filipinos living with HIV...

Pinoy Plus Association (99% HIV+) & Babae Plus

and

Positive Action Foundation Philippines, Inc. (PAFPI) - I am working as Advocate and Health Educator (Volunteer)

also, there are several Regional Support Groups in case you are not residing in the Metropolitan Manila such as ALAGAD MINDANAO in Davao, EMPOWER of Iloilo, Sisters Plus in Subic/Pampanga

treatment hubs in Manila include San Lazaro Hospital, RITM and Philippine General Hospital...

ARVs (antiretrovirals) are given for FREE under the GLOBAL FUND AIDS PROJECT, I think they committeed to give it for FREE for a LIFETIME!!!

PM me your contacts if you need to talk and meet. I will be home in the Philippines first week of July 2008.

the day you knew why...

Offline dyingYOUNG19

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 05:09:40 am »
just hold on to your dreams HIV+nurse...

u can still practice ur profession...

also, there is a move in the US Congress to lift the ban for entry of HIV+ people to the US....

just continue dreamingm just like what I am doing...

I am traveling to different countries every year.
the day you knew why...

Offline komnaes

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 05:46:16 am »
You should come back more often to visit us dy19!

I am not in the Philippines but I am interested to learn more about the system in our country. You mean HIV meds are being given to patients for free?

Hugs, Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline dyingYOUNG19

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2008, 03:06:51 am »
@komnaes, YES the ARV meds are given for FREE in the Philippines under the GLOBAL FUND AIDS Project.

It is in the form of GENERIC DRUGS from INDIA.

There are TREATMENT HUBS in MAJOR AREAS in the Philippines where you can have them, from Northern Luzon down to Davao of Mindanao.

In Manila, you can get FREE ARV from San Lazaro Hospital, Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) and PGH.

all you have to do is to seek treatment, care and support from them and you will be part of their regular clients and will become beneficiary of their programs on HIV & AIDS funded by International Agencies and the DOH.

so you're in Hongkong? just keep an eye on your health status...

the day you knew why...

Offline Kilo

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2008, 07:12:26 pm »
Youre going to make it, man. :D

Offline phil_alone

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2008, 06:20:24 am »
just give me a text or call when you get here ok you have my number...see yah...take care

Offline komnaes

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2008, 04:59:31 am »
so you're in Hongkong? just keep an eye on your health status...

Hiya DY19, yes I am just curious about services to us in other Asian countries. I was under the impression that there were not many programs in the Philippines and treatment options are expensive. I go to a support group here and my friends in the AIDS Foundation here put me in an English-speaking group (which sometimes don't have enough people, while there are many Chinese-speaking groups) just to make up the number. One time we had a fellow Pinoy attending and I remember he said something about the lack of services/cheap treatments for HIVers... perhaps I remember wrong, but it's nice to be told otherwise.

Hugs, Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline kooldude

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2008, 11:16:39 pm »
Hi dyingyoung, I need to talk to somebody regarding my situation. I appreciate if you could give ur contact details so that can set an appointment with u.

Thank you very much

Offline komnaes

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2008, 10:39:16 pm »
Kooldude, you answered a thread that was last active almost 3 months ago.

DY doesn't check in these forums often so you may want to send him PM to get his attention. And if you need any specific help if you're recently tested positive you can just post it here. Other than DY there are other forum members from the Philippines and I do have some contact information for supports if you need them.

Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline phil_alone

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 08:11:07 am »
hi kooldude...my name is kevin im also a poz here sa atin...if u want inquires or questions u wanna ask please feel free to contact me on this email add  daniel_burg10@yahoo.com...i also met dyingyoung19 and other poz friends here so just give me a buzz ok

Offline kooldude

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2008, 12:11:20 am »
Komnaes & Kevin thank you very much for your response. I'm afraid and still shock on what im going to do. I Need advices from people who experiencing the same problem. I need a doctor and support group who can help me to solve this BIG problem of my life. I appreciate if you could give me the contact details of the support group.

Once again, Thank you very much and hope to hear from you soon.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2008, 12:19:20 am »
See below Kooldude.. I am not in Manila but I do go there often and helping out a bit with a regional support fund to locate support groups in the Philippines. You should be able to find their contacts on the net. I cannot recommend them personally as I don't know them; but they were recommended and listed by DY19.

Have you just been tested positive? Or we're dealing with some ongoing issues? Having a real support network can help, especially if they can relate to local situations. You're of course more than welcome to share or even just vent in these forums.

there are only 2 NATIONAL SUPPORT GROUPS for Filipinos living with HIV...

Pinoy Plus Association (99% HIV+) & Babae Plus

and

Positive Action Foundation Philippines, Inc. (PAFPI) - I am working as Advocate and Health Educator (Volunteer)

also, there are several Regional Support Groups in case you are not residing in the Metropolitan Manila such as ALAGAD MINDANAO in Davao, EMPOWER of Iloilo, Sisters Plus in Subic/Pampanga

treatment hubs in Manila include San Lazaro Hospital, RITM and Philippine General Hospital...

ARVs (antiretrovirals) are given for FREE under the GLOBAL FUND AIDS PROJECT, I think they committeed to give it for FREE for a LIFETIME!!!
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline Geno

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2008, 06:12:40 am »
Hi. We also have a support group for bis/gays who are positive. I hope there will be more people who will help our cause. I am negative but I am very concerned about the situation that is why I am helping out support groups and advocacy works.

Offline positivefocusgroup

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2009, 06:02:59 am »

HELLO THERE EVERYONE. WE ARE A GROUP OF HIV/AIDS INDIVIDUALS IN THE PHILLIPINES.WE RECENTLY FORMED A SUPPORT GROUP THAT ENVISIONS TO HELP FELLOWS LIKE US.WE SEEK TO FOCUS EXCLUSIVELY TO THOSE WHO ARE POSITIVE.PLEASE VISIT OUR BLOGSITE  www.positivefocusgroup.multiply.com    YOU CAN ALSO EMAIL US  AT positivefocus_group@yahoo.com    please hlpe us expand so that we can reach others.we believe that by through open communication and sharing we can bring a hopeful future!    WE ARE WAITING FOR YOU!

Offline eau0103

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2010, 04:12:13 am »
I dunno what's my cd4 count....i just got my results last feb 15,2010... and im hiv positive..

the EIA results said: COV 0.249 and ABS >3.500
Agglutination test said: Reactive to anti hiv1 and anti-hiv 2
my wb test said: bands present are gp160, gp120, gp66, p51, gp41, p31, p24,p17...

i dunno what that means... but does that really look bad?

Im from the Philippines by the way...i dunno where to find medication...

Kindly please reply if u have time...

you can also email me at shannonwalker@verizonmail.com

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2010, 04:21:09 am »
eau, welcome to the forum.

Please stop posting the same post in more than one thread. I've deleted your other identical posts you made in other threads. Thank you for your cooperation.

eau,

Those results are simply your antibody results and they will not tell you anything other than the fact that you are hiv positive. They don't look bad or good, but they do mean that you are definitely hiv positive.

Other members will be able to tell you where to go to get your CD4 counts and Viral Load done. I'm not familiar with the facilities available in the Philippines.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline eau0103

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2010, 04:30:39 am »
im sorry about those identical posts Ann... thanks for the reply...

Offline R10

• thelastroan
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2010, 04:23:25 am »
I dunno what's my cd4 count....i just got my results last feb 15,2010... and im hiv positive..

the EIA results said: COV 0.249 and ABS >3.500
Agglutination test said: Reactive to anti hiv1 and anti-hiv 2
my wb test said: bands present are gp160, gp120, gp66, p51, gp41, p31, p24,p17...

i dunno what that means... but does that really look bad?

Im from the Philippines by the way...i dunno where to find medication...

Kindly please reply if u have time...

for some reason your email is bouncing. so i guess i should post it here.

Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM)
Filinvest Corporate City, Alabang, Muntinlupa City
Dr. Rossana A. Ditangco, Head, HIV Research Unit
Tel: 5261705; 8072628/38 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              8072628/38      end_of_the_skype_highlighting local 801/208;

opd annex (hiv/aids opd) monday-friday 8am-5pm - but the best day to go is tuesday to thursday

call before you go there.

807-2628/38 local 801/208 look for anna or zaira

what to bring:

confimatory test from (saccl)

money, coz, I think you have to pay 750pesos

if you are going to have your cd4 count for the first time, go to RITM before 9am
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:25:54 am by R10 »

Offline nursepoz24

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2012, 08:08:08 am »
im a nurse and poz too. keep in touch.

Offline nursepoz24

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2012, 08:23:41 am »
contact me please. i need support grps. jimenezdwight@yahoo.com

Offline younghopefulpoz

« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2012, 07:16:01 am »
Dear hiv+nurse:

You've just made a post in a thread that's been inactive for 1.5 years.  You may want to start an entirely new thread to address whatever concerns you may have about your HIV diagnosis.  I realize that you did this because both you and dyingYOUNG19 live in the Manila, but he may or may not see this post for a while.  You may wish to send him a "private message" (click on his screen name to do this and near the bottom of the page you will see "Send this member a personal message.)

Welcome to aidsmeds, and I hope you stay to talk some more.

(ps:  if you are actually having suicidal thoughts you probably should bypass a support group and seek out a one-on-one licensed therapist to quickly address this potential danger)
Hi, im karl , Filipino. Ive been positive for nearly 2 months Its been hard for me to cope up and adjust to a new status that I have. Im searching for someone who could I talk to and share some infos about their status.

LONG LIVE!

Offline EroSenninMLJ

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2012, 08:45:51 am »
hi, luis here, age 33, just had been diagnosed HIV+ just today... i just need someone to talk to and have a sense of someone caring for me... and also i want to know what to do from now...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.