Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:34:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 230
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: You Have A Collect Call from Inmate (insert name here)  (Read 8261 times)

Offline Oceanbeach

You Have A Collect Call from Inmate (insert name here)
« on: July 06, 2007, 04:32:25 pm »
Well, this has been a festive 4th... My day started out with a recorded message asking if I accept the charges... Press 0 now.  I waited, waited and waited to hear another recorded message... If You Would Like to Place A Call, please hang up.

She is my friend and I went to visit her in jail.  She is there for a DUI (actually 2 in the same week).  She was in court today, the judge would not releaser her on OR, SOR or even lower the bail.  Bail is set at $25,000.00.

Her car is in impound, the fee goes up $50.00 each day and it requires a power of attorney to get it released.  The last organization to answer a direct question was the Calif Highway Patrol.

She has 2 dogs and 2 cats at home and a 60 day notice to vacate.  After Court, I went to the Clerk of the Court... She knows nothing, the County Clerk, She Knows Nothing, the Housing Authority, she knows nothing and finally the Adult Detention Center... They know the least of all.  The Public Defender does not return phone calls from friends of her clients.  After seeing her in court today... SHE KNOWS THE LEAST OF ALL!  As the plot thickens, I am waiting for a call from her Home Healthcare person.  She knows more than everyone and we need to find a temporary home for the pets.

After all these visits to each of these organizations, I find a traveling notary who will go to the jail.  As I call the jail to make arrangements, the same people who knew nothing, offered information... There is a Notary there and she has to fill out a green sheet and I can take care of her personal stuff while she is in the slammer (which may be up to 3 months).  Have the best day
Michael

Offline RapidRod

Re: You Have A Collect Call from Inmate (insert name here)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 09:11:17 pm »
Sonomabeach, she sure did get it socked to her. I got two within two weeks, those were my second and third had still not be to court on the first a year earlier. I was released on OR all three times. I ended up taking care of them all at one time. Five years no drivers licenses. But I still got to drive anywhere I wanted. 30 day house arrest monitored where I could still go up to my parents home. 11500 fine and it was reduced to 7500. Car was impounded but it was brought straight to my house. I guess I was lucky having friends in high places. Not saying the 7500 wasn't a bitch. I haven't drank since then, 1996. The fourth DUI in Ohio is a felony, that would be a year in prison. So I decided I was done. I hope everything works out for her.   

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 09:16:51 pm »
Michael~~

Sorry to hear about the problems your friend is having but at the same time it is hard to feel sorry for her when she had 2 DUI's in one week. Thank the Goddess that no one was hurt either time. While incarcerated it will make her see the seriousness of the situation. I'm sorry that the prison system is giving you the run around. They are known for doing that. I would be more worried about the public defender, have you talked to him/her? I know around these parts they are generally lazy since they get paid by the state win or lose. One thing I will say is that you are a good friend...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline RICKY77531

• just Chill
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 09:22:09 pm »
I feel bad for her pets, hope they are taken care of.....
06/2007   CD4 266  Vl 62000
06/2007   CD4 200  Vl 13495
07/2007   ATRIPLA
09/2007   CD4 323  VL Undetectable
11/2007   CD4 428  VL Undetectable
01/2008   CD4 357  VL Undetectable
04/2008   CD4 357  VL UNDETECTABLE
08/2008   CD4 402  VL UNDETECTABLE
11/2008   CD4 421  79 DETECTABLE..
2/2009     CD4 450  VL UNDETECTABLE

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 11:56:14 pm »
I have known Seabreeze a couple of years now.  She is disabled and had worked herself through Graduate School and worked for many years as a Psychotherapist in San Francisco and since she is bi-lingual, she spent many years working with Hispanic men in the San Francisco and Oakland jail systems.  She spent almost 20 years counseling them on HIV.  She is almost deaf because of the doors in jails.  She also is Bi-polar, has Carpel Tunnel and COPD.

I took all of her meds to the jail medical staff and they had everything she has been taking and a breathing machine.  I asked for the phone number of her twin sister and found her sister is out of it by 7:30 AM everyday.  Both sisters are alcoholics.

I have to admit the 6 days in jail has done a lot in terms of how she looks.  She can't drink, smoke and they feed her three times every day.  She has books to read and she will be in a program.  I have been going to her house everyday to feed her pets and everything is normal with the dogs and the cats.  The office manager from the Guerneville Veterinary clinic has a non-profit to provide care for peoples animals, she knows the pets and the woman and she has agreed to take them if and when needed.

I found her letter from the Housing Authority and the letter from her land lady re: termination of the rental agreement.  Her deposit is being used to cover the final month rent, which would be August but, after the hearing on the 16th, I may pack up her house to storage because she may get 90 days as a guest at the Adult Detention Center.

I think I have done everything I can until Monday and the Power of Attorney so I can get her car released.  The part that disturbs me is... Over the past 10 years, I have gotten used to doing without and as an outcast from the society as I knew it, because of HIV/AIDS.  Seabreeze was a health care provider and has been forgotten about by her peers.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Carolann

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 01:49:10 am »
My heart goes out to your friend. Your kindness is inspiring. This woman obviousldy needs mental health services. Perhaps she can get this while in prison, if only. Unfrotunately society has a way of throwing people away. This is more and more common with the continued erosion of mental health services in this country. I truly hope she can turn her life around.

Hugs,

CA

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 03:25:57 am »
I won't take back what I said in my previous post but thanks for clarifying the things she's dealing with in her life. I guess it goes to say walk a mile in someone's shoes. It's a shame that she and her sister are alcoholics.Maybe this will be a wake up call for your friend and it may take one for the sister. I still say you are indeed a good friend.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 04:00:13 pm »
My Dear Queen,

I wouldn't take it back either.  Some court required rehab will do Seabreeze some good (I hope).  In jail for a week and she looks better than she has in months  With or without a drivers license, she will drive so her care giver and I are going to get her moved back into town. 

She reads two or three books each day. They must have a copy of Alcoholics Anonymous in the county jail.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 05:13:11 pm »
Michael,

I am hoping the rehab will do Seabreeze some good as well. I do like her name, it is original. How is she holding up? Do you see a change in her since she's been sober? All the rehab in the world will do her no good if she doesn't realize she has a problem, ya know? She will still attempt to drive even w/o a license? Being the friend you are, when you get her car out of impound, you should keep her keys. But then again you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink..I know, bad saying considering the topic but it was the only one that came to mind. Better yet, how are you holding up?
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 09:55:18 pm »
She holds a Masters Degree from UC Berkeley in Psychology, has taught at the college level and spent 20 years as a Psychotherapist.  She knows she has a problem and from her actions, I say she will probably do nothing without a court order.  She dosent react like you or I or anyone we know would.  As an example...

We were neighbors in the same apartment complex about three years ago.  That is why I know her and the third musketeer Don.  We went over one night and she was cooking a squash for dinner.  She said she had no money and that was all the food she had.  Don and I went to the supermarket, bought some food and Don BBQed.  It was the best as Don is a genius at the grill.

This complex was in a flood zone so I moved out before the winter rains.  That winter we had a major flood and I couldn't get her to leave her apartment (ground floor).  The next day, we got her out and at my house.  Don and I took a canoe down the street, her apartment was in 6 ft of water.

After the flood we went in to salvage what was left of everything she owned.  I saw a black beaded bag in a box of things that were destroyed.  She said that was her money...  How much did she have in the bag?  She said between 8 and 10 thousand dollars.  It sat, unopened on my coffee table for about a month.  She kept that bag in the trunk of her car for about a year (she never locked her car).  She lives like a homeless person, her shopping cart was a used Volvo sedan.

I found the beaded bag in her house and there was two hundred and another three hundred in a drawer, in a house she never locks.  The car is full of loose papers, junk and probably her mail from the last 6 months.  That car could be sold at auction after impound if everything is not taken care of and there may be something in there that she shouldn't lose.

Don is her co-dependent and lives about 5 hours away, so I get to do all the work.  I'm doing OK, all I can do over the weekend is drive up in the mountais and feed the cats and the dogs.  She has a paid care giver so I have been getting a lot of help with the stuff and another week a next hearing.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 10:09:42 pm »
Well, you are right about that, with the degree she has, she knows she has a problem. And to have all that money laying around but not buy any food? All I can say is WOW. That is really sad. Just wonders why she chooses to live that way. At least there are others that help you share the load...What is this next hearing for? Sentencing? Since she got hit so hard with fines and all, I hope she does not get a stiff sentence.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 01:10:28 am »
Michael....You're a great friend.  Truly you've gone above and beyond the call of duty as a friend.
I hope she appreciates you....although I suspect she does not. Personally I don't believe in putting
someone down while they're down on their luck....I pray she turns her life around.

YOU'RE THE GREATEST :-*

In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 04:52:04 am »
I believe the next hearing is for fines, sentence and AA.  For myself, growing up was a non-stop party, I have been to more than a few alcohol/substance abuse classes and 12 step programs.  I have friends who have gone and have many years success.  I believe that I have control over adult beverages and not everyone else does.

I plan on leaving the Russian River sometime after AMG and I plan on getting her re-situated in a place where she can survive and her care giver can concentrate on diet, medications and cleaning.  I plan on going to one of the South Bay Beach Cities in L.A. County.  I'm going in October to find a house and a boat slip.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 03:54:13 pm »
According to the DA, Ms. Seabreeze has 10 DUI's on record and another one in process.  The paperwork did not get to the court in time for the arraignment hearing.  Number 11 includes running a car off the road and that driver placed her under citizens arrest.  The arraignment hearing is scheduled for this next week.

Today, I finally found a Notary Public to get the Power of Attorney signed and notarized, got a County Employee to make all arrangements to get the Notary upstairs... Seabreeze refused to sign the paperwork.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 11:40:35 pm »
Sad to say but I see the axe falling for Ms. Seabreeze....... :-\
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 04:42:26 pm »
It took a lot of effort to get an outside Notary in the jail and he was paid travel time and the county employee in the Friends Outside office had a small fee attached to her support.  They have both been paid.

We found an organization called Chow Rescue who may care for the dogs if Lori can or will not.  The Caregiver will make the arrangements.  The dogs are 14 and 10 years old and not that friendly to most people.  The cats are about 1 year old (maybe two) and will be easy to find homes for.

What ever needs to be done with the personal property, furniture etc., will have to be taken care of by someone else.  Michael is simply worn thin.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 01:10:15 am »
I was wondering when you were going to get to that point. As much as you have helped Ms. Seabreeze, it seems like she is not grateful in the least. You have done all you can and you will be blessed for that, Michael.
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 10:53:21 pm »
Michael-
  You are a really good friend, but people have to really hit a bottom.  I did.  I changed when people stopped "helping" me all the time.  That's probably what needs to happen for Seabreeze.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2007, 09:29:19 pm »
Hey Betty,

I know, I got a call from the care giver last night about the dogs, they are both very old.  Sue talked about how sad the dogs were and how much they missed Seabreeze.  I went up to the house today to check food and water and they were (as always), at home and fine.  The next hearing is on Monday afternoon, it should be an arraignment for DUI #11 or #12.  After that, I will make the decision on boarding the dogs and finding a new home for the cats.  Our other friend, Don thinks the dogs should be put to sleep.  I can't make that decision.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 06:10:00 pm »
Just got home from court.  Seabreeze got a different judge and a light sentence.  In todays hearing the records show 1 DUI and 1 prior (in Contra Costa County).

Her sentence is 35 days in County jail with credit for time served, a fine of $1900.00, 3 years probation and enrollment in an alcohol treatment program.  I forgot... loss of driving privleges.

There is a convenience market about two blocks from the jail on the way to the main highway... Will she stop and pick up a 12 pack on August 5th?  Not if I am driving her home  ;D.  For all intents and purposes, I say Ms. Seabreeze got off lighter than the Hilton girl.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 06:20:28 pm »
Michael,

It seems to be Ms. Seabreeze lucked out by having a different judge. Why was it only for 1 DUI and one prior? What about the rest of them? As far loss of driving privleges, well if she still has access to her car and doesn't want to quit drinking, she will still drive to get that 12 pack. :(
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline bear60

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2007, 07:17:50 pm »
"she will still drive to get that 12 pack" quote Queenie

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
 But cha are in that wheelchair Blanche , ya are.  Eat ur din din....while I go to the store.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2007, 07:22:54 pm »
"she will still drive to get that 12 pack" quote Queenie

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
 But cha are in that wheelchair Blanche , ya are.  Eat ur din din....while I go to the store.

um,er.....what?
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 01:39:14 am »
Stranger things have happened but for the life of me, I can't think of what they are.  Seabreeze called me tonight form a public telephone at the convenience market and has been released.  I just got home from picking her up.  The charges on the DUI from when she ran the guy off the road have been dropped.

What did she learn from this... Well, she already has that 12 pack and is planning on getting her car out of impound tomorrow.  She did try to open one in my car and I told her to put it back in the bag until she gets home.   Have the best day
Michael

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 02:37:52 am »
I hate to say I told you so Michael.....And when it all happens again, will you still be there?
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline bear60

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 09:45:26 am »
Baby Jane......"Whatever Happened to Baby Jane"  with Bette Davis...a truly sicko sixties movie and if you havent seen it go get it.  It deals with two sisters and one is in a wheelchair and one is alchoholic.  Needless to say the alchoholic one terrorizes the one in a wheelchair cause she thinks she is going to be "put away" and thus her liquor cut off.

Queen...its a gay thing I guess.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007, 11:53:55 am »
I just love that movie.  Went to an Easter party once in the Hollywood Hills, hosted by the Creative Director of one of the huge advertising agencies and his bf.  His bf and mine worked together at that same airline and we did lots of stuff until Ed died.   Everyone took an Easter Egg out of the basket and did a scene from the movie named in the egg.  I got What Ever Happened To Baby Jane and won the contest.  Ed got Valley of the Dolls and I always thought he knew which egg to chose.  But ya are Blanche, yeah I like that film.  I loved those years.

I have been thinking a lot about moving back to L.A. a lot lately.  Also, just got some work in and my life is going to get really busy for the next few months.  Getting to do this work and getting off the disability benefits cycle and all the current and future funding issues is my primary goal and I'm doing really good.

It is always in my nature to help a friend and I will do it again for another friend but Seabreeze copped an attitude in her "right to drive" and I wish her luck.  I won't be there for the next DUI.

I spent two years on the Russian River as a one-man army to get letters out to Congress on the RWCA.  The web site is still out in cyber space and is still getting viewers but I never updated the copy and the domain name is available in the Fall.  Sonoma County did lose their Title I funding and living with AIDS, I feel it is my best interest to move before March 1.  In California, the most secure places to always recieve funding is San Francisco and Los Angeles.

I tele-commute to Orange County and can live anywhere there is a phone line and FedEx.  I'm thinking Santa Monica to Huntington Beach and that will be a different story.  I will still be at the Russian River until after AMG.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2007, 06:37:26 pm »
It is always in my nature to help a friend and I will do it again for another friend but Seabreeze copped an attitude in her "right to drive" and I wish her luck.  I won't be there for the next DUI.

There's nothing wrong with helping a friend but damn she could've at least appreciated what you did for her. To me, you went beyond the call of duty. And the first thing she does is buy some freaking beer, she could've had the decency to wait to get home to crack open a can. I'm glad you made her wait. That's an alcoholic for you. Not trying to sound mean or anything but my Dad use to be an alcoholic so I am familiar with the problem. But Ms. Seabreeze just really burns my britches.. >:(
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2007, 04:46:16 am »
Dear Queen,

I remember an alcoholic in L.A..  He was physically abusive and living in my house.  I hadn't been out of the hospital with PCP for very long... One night (not unlike any other) I remember him driving us (my car) to the corner store.  I don't remember going in the store but do remember sitting on the rear fender, talking to LAPD.  They wanted me to get into an ambulance, I didn't want to go to the hospital again so soon.

Later, I saw the tape from the security camera.  I don't remember even being inside that store that night but the tape showed him hitting me in the face at the cash register and I wasn't drinking that week.  Have the best day
Michael   

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2007, 04:59:42 am »
Now that's interesting....APPRECIATION?
Lots of people seem to have a severe lack of that little commodity
but I ain't naming names or pointing fingers.

As a rule I don't generally accept collect calls from an inmate....
they tend to ask for stuff ::)
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2007, 06:17:45 am »
You did the best you could do...we all know people who are so transparent, their supposed acts of kindness masking ulterior motives and self-aggrandizing hidden agendas. I'm not sure who I trust least, the prisoner making a collect call or two-bit phonies. I think trying to help folks is an admirable trait.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 12:36:47 pm by Dachshund »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.