Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:25:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 345
Total: 345

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Switched from Atripla to Complera... Share your experience!  (Read 2430 times)

Offline january2288

I switched to Complera on May 1st, 2013 after 7 and a half years taking Atripla.

Atripla always kept my VL undetectable. At the beginning it was an easy ride. The weird dreams, dizziness at night, having to go pee at least twice during the night all drowsy was all I thought I have to deal with in order to stay with one pill a day.

But then after almost two years on Atripla I started having panic attacks, paranoia, anxiety.... I could not simply control my fears. Headaches were a daily occurrence and I just started learning to deal with it. Even the nightmares became so vivid that I  woke up screaming and feeling my heart pounding like if it was about to explode. All this, of course, started taking a toll on my personal life and my performance at work. But what was I supposed to do back then? Atripla was the only one pill a day treatment at that time and the lab results were always great. I thought for a moment that has to be the price I have to pay in order to be "alive".

Then Complera came. My doctor suggested a year ago when it was first available to make the swtich but I was very hesitant about it. Afraid of trying a new drug that would probably make things worse..... So I delayed that switch until anxiety got even worse and I simply could not handle it anymore.

It only took one day to start feeling the results with Complera. NO HEADACHES. NOT EVEN ONE. NO PANIC ATTACKS, NO ANXIETY. NO DROWSINESS OR DIZZINESS. NO WEIRD DREAMS!!!!!!! Even when I have some episodes of stress I do not feel my body reacting so negatively about the outcome of situations like I used to react before. My hands don't even sweat!

I don't worry about taking it with a 400 calories meal simply because I love to eat!  :D Even for the calorie counter person reaching the calorie requirement is not a problem whatsoever.

I am not trying to advertise this medication but this is what is going on with my body and how it has reacted to this switch. I understand many people have different experiences but what I want to say is talk to your doctor if Atripla (which is a fantastic pill when it comes to keep your VL undetectable) is messing up with your nervous system or affecting your quality of life like the way it was affecting mine.

Next week I am getting my first lab results after the switch and I am looking forward to learn how this new pill is working with my numbers (Hopefully the same way it is working with my mental health!)

05/2004 Just diagnosed
06/2006 Started Atripla Since then VL always undetectable
05/2013 Switched to Complera due to severe mental disorders

Offline Feeling Good

Re: Switched from Atripla to Complera... Share your experience!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:24:35 am »
I made the switch as well. Was on Atripla for two and a half years. Never had any serious side effects however if I didn't take it at night before bed I knew I was on it. And sleeping was never the same while on Atripla. There was definitely a noticeable difference after the sustiva was out of my system. No more fogginess, edginess, and uneasy sleep.  I wholeheartedly recommend Complera. I finally feel as I did pre diagnosis.

I will also add, now that we have great alternatives and choices in regards to treatment, if we feel we want to make the switch we should consider it. If your doctor is okay with it then do it. Be as normal and feel as normal as you can. That is the point to progress. If your Atripla doesn't agree with your Cabernet Sauvignon you have a choice.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.