Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:20:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 373
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 360
Total: 360

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Reaction to Niacin  (Read 6702 times)

Offline Mirar

Reaction to Niacin
« on: November 21, 2006, 06:45:42 pm »
I was prescribed Niacin 500mg taking 2 capsules daily at night to control cholesterol and triglycerides and have been taking the medication for about 6 months with no problems. I am not saying it is ok to drink but I really enjoy a scotch, glass of wine or a martini at night to unwind from a day at work. Up until a few weeks ago when I have a drink my skin in my face, ears, arms and chest feel like a small fire is under my skin and that is just one sip. I spoke with a couple of Dr's and they had no idea what was happening and their only comeback to me was "don't drink" to me that was an asinine comment to a problem. So I talked to pharmacist and we went over my medications and there it was NIACIN, I stopped taking the Niacin and instantly that night I had no more bad reactions.  To supplement the Niacin I am eating oatmeal for breakfast and problem solved.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: Reaction to Niacin
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 06:48:59 pm »
So the reaction wasn't with alcohol, but with your meds?  Your doctors should have known that from the start.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 07:34:22 pm »

Niacin(b-3) info ;

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/VitaminB3Niacincs.html

Have you changed the "brand name of the Niacin you've been taking?

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Mirar

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 08:38:42 pm »
Yes I have changed brands and had the same results. My doctors were stumped and asked me that if I find out the reason to let them know. I also found out that Niacin works with the liver and some HIV meds are also known to be hard on the liver, so for me Niacin was just fueling a potential problem  because I like to have a drink at night.
It is advised not to take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) while taking this Niacin.

SFscruff

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 02:52:44 pm »
Niacin also can adversely affect renal function, especially when diuretic liquids are being ingested and potentially nephrotoxic medications are concomitantly administered.  A buddy tried over the counter niacin a few years ago and his blood urea nitrogen and creatinine levels shot up significantly.  His HDL rose and triglycerides dropped during the two years he was taking niacin, but...  When he went back and compared his renal function labs when he was not taking niacin to when he was, a pretty stunning correlation appeared.  He stopped the niacin and within three months, his kidney functions were back to his pre-niacin levels.  He doesn't drink regularly, but he's a big coffee drinker and is taking Viread.  So many factors to consider.     

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 12:45:20 pm »
Niacin has very strong flushing/burning activities that are made worse by other things such as drink. Your doctor should have known that, it is the single worst side effect of taking niacin!

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline fuziwuzi

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 01:08:13 pm »
I took prescription Niacin for about a month.  I simply could not tolerate the burning sensations it caused, they prevented me from sleeping, or doing much of anything.  It wasn't just annoying, it was painful. 
Never make someone else your whole world when to them you are just an option.

Offline pozatlguy

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 08:13:06 pm »
I had the same reaction as many of you. 

My doctor wanted me to take Niacin to help with my cholesterol and Triglycerides levels.  I bought some but didn't realize their is a flushing and non-flushing type you can buy.  I by chance picked the flushing type.  Anyway I took it and thought I was on fire.... my face, ears etc go so hot and red.  I actually thought I might be having a heart attack; of course never having had one I didn't know what one would feel like anyway.  Bottom line it scared the HELL out of me.  I stopped it right away, I eat oatmeal everyday and take my fish oil tablets instead.  I'm now always in the "normal" range but at the high end, I told my doctor that I will just have to live with that bit of success. 

-F
HIV + since June 1990, probably got infected 6 months before.
Viramune/Epzicom
9/06 - CD4 720, VL <50, 33.6%
12/13 - CD4 608,  VL <50, 33.8%

Offline jntmax39

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 07:37:33 pm »
Hey Billy
Iam also on Niacon,I have the same symptems. My Doc gave me a paper stating that I would have flushing,Oh boy I thought it meant hot flashes until it happened,that shit sucks
anyway he told me to get mettimucill tablets. I'm gonna go get some and then I'll let you know if it works.

Offline koi1

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 08:20:28 pm »
My friend was taken off of niacin because it messed with his liver. So that is another thing to consider.

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 07:32:37 am »
Yep, the flashing, flushing, hot flashes, are a pain.

If you take an aspirin 30 minutes prior to the niacin, it helps. I was on prescription Niacin (Niaspan 1,000 mgs) for a while. I tolerated the 500 mgs OK, so my doc upped it.

My problem was it didn't drop the lipids for me.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.