Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:01:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 233
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 233
Total: 233

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: sleeping pills what has worked for you (or not worked) and why?  (Read 47095 times)

Offline Dachshund

Re: sleeping pills what has worked for you (or not worked) and why?
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2009, 08:34:04 am »
Betty I may not be a LTS but i am sure a LTI "Long Term Insomniac"

All anyone is asking is that you be respectful of posting in this forum. If this topic is important to you start a conversation in Living With or Treatment and Side Effects.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2009, 10:00:33 am »
Betty I may not be a LTS but i am sure a LTI "Long Term Insomniac"

You being an "LTI" does not justify you posting in the LTS'ers forum. 

And what Dachsund said.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline biggeorge

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2009, 02:32:18 pm »
I spent a few months on sleeping pills due to over-whelming stress created by doctor.  I was so stressed that after six months of not sleeping, my insomnia progressed to sleep walking!
To help me sleep after thngs got really bad, I was givenTemazepam in 30 mg. strength.  That did the trck, but after six months of being on Temazepam, I got addicted and couldn't sleep without them.  After getting irid of my doctor of 26 years, I spent 3 months weening myself off of them.  They work well, but they are highly addictive so use them for short-term....

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2009, 03:47:08 pm »
I spent a few months on sleeping pills due to over-whelming stress created by doctor.  I was so stressed that after six months of not sleeping, my insomnia progressed to sleep walking!
To help me sleep after thngs got really bad, I was givenTemazepam in 30 mg. strength.  That did the trck, but after six months of being on Temazepam, I got addicted and couldn't sleep without them.  After getting irid of my doctor of 26 years, I spent 3 months weening myself off of them.  They work well, but they are highly addictive so use them for short-term....

Restoril™ (temazepam) is indicated for the short-term treatment of insomnia (generally 7 to 10 days).

I guess you would have an addiction problem from taking them for 6 months. Restoril is a controlled substance in Schedule IV. You had your hands full.

Offline edfu

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2009, 12:07:17 am »
I have extreme difficulty falling asleep because of major anxiety issues:  If I'm not busy doing something--even if it's just reading, TV, or computer--my mind will not stop racing.  Once asleep, however, it takes a small bomb to wake me, which is why I sometimes use 3 alarm clocks.  Finding the remedy that works is as difficult as finding the right anti-depressive medication and is wildly variable with each individual.  I've tried everything already discussed.  Valium worked well for a while, but I was definitely becoming benzo-addictive; I also took it as a muscle-relaxant for back pain and for panic attacks.  Ambien worked for a while and then became useless.  Lunesta did absolutely nothing--except leave me with the taste of a metal subway car filled with rats.   Melatonin did absolutely nothing.  Etc.  Etc.  Psychiatrist then suggested using an "atypical anti-psychotic" and prescribed 100mg Seroquel.  Bingo!  The only problem was that I had even more difficulty waking and would sometimes sleep for 10 hours or more, but I didn't spend hours tossing and turning trying to fall asleep.  The magic remedy was 50mg Seroquel.  Has worked  like a charm for several years now.     
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline freestate guy

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2009, 11:46:13 pm »
It is true that Temazapam can be addictive. Nonetheless, it has done the trick for me over the years and I would characterize it as a "mild" sleeping pill. I don't "oversleep" and feel pretty good in the morning. With all the other meds racing through my body over the years (Crixivan was the worst) and a formerly very stressful job, getting a reliable good night's sleep was (is) very important to me to function well.
Mitochondriac

Offline RWR

• if You think You can’t you can’t
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2009, 05:20:48 pm »
After starting my atripla started having nightmares and vivid dreams.  Doctor gives me 30mg temazepam. I also take 2 tylenol pm if i wake up during the night take a xanex.  The atripla is making my cholesterol go up and blood sugar.  had to give up all sweets she wants me to give up rice bread potatoes red meat pork.  i am down to a piece of turkey or chicken
Hiv+ 1986

Bobby

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2009, 05:26:55 pm »
After starting my atripla started having nightmares and vivid dreams.  Doctor gives me 30mg temazepam. I also take 2 tylenol pm if i wake up during the night take a xanex.  The atripla is making my cholesterol go up and blood sugar.  had to give up all sweets she wants me to give up rice bread potatoes red meat pork.  i am down to a piece of turkey or chicken

Honestly this seems horribly excessive.  With all of the other options in terms of HIV med regimens out there why is your doctor not considering your quality of life and discussing treatment alternatives?  Have you asked her to consider this?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline RWR

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2009, 06:03:55 pm »
She would like for Me to not take anything.  No sleeping meds or tylenol pm.  I try but just lie there. I never dreamed before the meds so need something to make me sleep because of the dreams and nightmares. i do not want to change my meds since it is keeping my vl down and t-cells at 250
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 06:05:28 pm by RWR »
Hiv+ 1986

Bobby

Offline RWR

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2009, 06:40:16 pm »
In the beginning of meds i had to do pentamidine ivs then breathing treatment than left me feeling like i could not breath. I was tested and told i have asthma.  I have started meds for that so maybe that was why i am having trouble sleeping.  I am working on my sleeping now. I do not think asthma gives You bad dreams tho.
Hiv+ 1986

Bobby

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2009, 10:57:40 am »
In the beginning of meds i had to do pentamidine ivs then breathing treatment than left me feeling like i could not breath. I was tested and told i have asthma.  I have started meds for that so maybe that was why i am having trouble sleeping.  I am working on my sleeping now. I do not think asthma gives You bad dreams tho.

Have you considered joining a Gym or doing some (aerobic-work-outs) in the late eve, that might help you fall-asleep. another thing to try is, not to eat anything after 8PM or 9PM, I have found, that if I do, it's worse....I've been doing the work-outs for the last 6 1/2 yrs now, and I sleep VERY WELL every-other-night, and I don't take any sleep-meds , also, I get up early about 6AM to 7AM, so, buy 10PM that night, I'm out-of-it, and can fall asleep faster, after I take my night-time-meds.......the trick here is to get your body back into it's Natural Rhythm, (during the day-part) once you do that, come-night fall, you'll sleep like a baby  ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 11:06:47 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline RWR

« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2009, 06:52:11 pm »
Thanks i do do a bowflex in the afternoon but have a problem getting in a mood for arobics but will try alittle harder.  I like You Alls help
Hiv+ 1986

Bobby

Offline buca45

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2009, 01:21:38 pm »
My doc has tried every type of sleep aid and they all had the exact opposite of what they were supposed to do...I was almost crawling the walls! It felt like my legs had just finished running a marathon and my eyes were about to pop out of my head!! It was a horrible feeling
After a 6 month nightmare bout with Sustiva (one of the 1% who had psychotic reaction to it) I was perscribed many anti depressants, anti psychotics and anti anxiety medications. After two years of experimenting with all of them, I slowly stopped taking them with the exception of Xanax which I have been on for over 6 years now.
I now take either 2 or 3 1mg tab about an hour before bed. I lay down and the minute my head hits the pillow I am out for about 6 hours at which time I wake up feeling like a truck has hit me...(posted about this in side effects and treatment).
Now that I am on a new combo of Intress, Intelence and Epzicom it seems an hour after I take them I feel very drowsy...almost enough to go to sleep. So now I am down to 2 1mg tabs of Xanax and I sleep very well.
Although I was initially told that this was not going to be a long term drug, my doc sees it as the only thing that helps me so he continues to prescribe it regardless of an addicition to it. I could care less now about dependence issues as if it works for me, to hell with the rest of the story!!
Xanax rocks!!!
"Love and Laughter and Happiness Ever After"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2009, 08:42:18 am »
Hi,

Never used a sleeping aid. Thats not to say something may have have to be used in the future. Usually when I go to bed, I fall to sleep very quickly and remain alsleep for at least 8 hours. When I went onto the 11:00pm to 7:00am  shift 14 years ago, I needed a little melatonin, to help me get to sleep, but I only used it briefly, and never had to use it again.

Hope you find some answers soon.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline lloydp

« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2009, 11:26:48 am »
Since I started on Atripla I've had nothing but trouble with sleeping. I tried a few different sleeping pills and I would sleep but not feel rested in the morning. Now I smoke (vaporize) a little MMJ at night and most nights I sleep and don't get nightmares.

Offline denb45

« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2009, 11:44:37 am »
Since I started on Atripla I've had nothing but trouble with sleeping. I tried a few different sleeping pills and I would sleep but not feel rested in the morning. Now I smoke (vaporize) a little MMJ at night and most nights I sleep and don't get nightmares.

I must confess tho, at least 2 to 3 nights outta a month, when I can't sleep, I do grab the old bottle of BENZO, so, I digress, my ID Doc say that's fine, and it won't hurt me, as long as I don't take it every night
it still works wonders for my P.T.S.D...when I have an episode

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/post-traumatic_stress_disorder_ptsd/article_em.htm
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 11:54:38 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline randym431

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2010, 09:52:03 pm »
I was going to start a new, but I'll add to this thread. I have a situation where I work nights, 12 hour shift, 3 nights a week 6pm-6am, for 20 years now. I have a terrible time getting good sleep during the day. Mostly due to keeping a constant sleep schedule between work days - off days. When my work week comes around, its hard to get more than a few hours sleep during the day and Im a zombie most all night long.

I've tried over the counter sleep aids like Melatonin,  Benedryl, and Tylenol PM and the problem is they are not dependable and all of them linger, so I feel worse at work. Just a month ago I went into this with my GP doctor and he gave me (ZOLPIDEM) or AMBIEN as it is known. It worked great at really knocking me out within 15 min, and I stayed asleep and woke with no linger zombie effects.
That was for a few weeks, only taking it 3 times a week during my work schedule.
What started happening was,
#1 ZOLPIDEM-AMBIEN started to wear off sooner and sooner so I was waking up full alert too early before I needed to.
#2, on my first non work day after have taking ZOLPIDEM-AMBIEN for 3 days in a row, when I did not take it I could not sleep at all. it was like I had drank 10 cups of coffee (btw, I never drink coffee or caffeine products). So sleeping when not taking ZOLPIDEM-AMBIEN was really a problem.

So I guess Im saying I'm pretty much ready to move onto something else away from ZOLPIDEM-AMBIEN.
I'm going to call the doc and see what he might suggest to replace the ZOLPIDEM-AMBIEN.

Any input as to what to ask for would be welcome. ZOLPIDEM-AMBIEN is or seems to be pretty powerful in that it can really knock you out, but as time goes on it alters your over all sleeping habits.
I was also starting o feel weird dizzy from time to time at night at work and wondered if it was the ZOLPIDEM-AMBIEN?

BTW, Im on sustiva and epzicom as a med combo. But I've always had sleep issues sleeping days while working these long 12 hour nights, even before hiv+. Now its a lot worse.
I think I might ask to try Lunesta, that Peter mentioned in the start of this thread.
But any ideas would be welcome, or advice from other AMBIEN users.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:54:24 pm by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2010, 11:32:01 am »
Zopiclone 7.5 mgs will get me off to sleep however since combo my sleep has changed and I never sleep for longer than 4 hours at a time with or with out Zopiclone
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline weasel

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2010, 12:38:23 pm »

I fall into the  fall  over in a dead sleep and then being awake 2 hours later !

I can lay in bed from  midnight till   6 am.  and never fall back asleep !

Trazadone   is what I take !

Not every night , but if I go a night with out sleep  I am useless to the world  ::)

I have NOT had  any bad side effects  :)

I have a cup of  coffee and I feel  wonderful  !

Works for me   ;)

been on it for  5 years  , Never going  to give it up , I love sleep .

Carl 

P.S.   good luck Peter  :)
" Live and let Live "

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2010, 12:43:30 pm »

Trazadone   is what I take !

I have NOT had  any bad side effects  :)

Only good side effects ... Trazadone puts me to sleep at night & gives me wood in the morning.   :o
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline smalltown66

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2010, 03:34:36 pm »
10 years ago I started on Ambien to help with insomnia. It worked wonders for years. In the last couple of years I switched to Ambien CR. It helped when i had nights that I would awaken early and could not go to sleep.
I also have restless leg syndrome that keeps me awake at night. So I also take Requip to relax the leg movements. I did very good for a while .

Now I have developed Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis. I go to bed late 12 or 1 and get up early around 6. I talked with my doctors and they are trying to decide if the pain is keeping awake earlier or if the insomnia has worsened. Recently tried Lunesta and Sonata. The Lunesta didn't work and gave me a metallic taste that lasted in your mouth for days.  The Sonata did not put me to sleep at all. So I am back to Ambien Cr. and just getting 5-6 hours sleep a day.

i may try some of your herbal suggestions.

Smalltown66
Lifting the weight of the world sure is easier with others with the same goal.

Offline randym431

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2010, 10:01:09 pm »
Thanks for the input guys.
What is the diff between ambien and the CR version? Some sorta time release? Is that better?
And I wanted to ask if taking sleeping pills like Ambien and the others, is it maybe best to stay on it
long term, and not switch on and off during the week? I wondered if that could be my problem with
Ambien?

I see some side effects from the Ambien CR lists:

•More outgoing or aggressive behavior than normal
•Confusion
•Strange behavior
•Agitation
•Hallucinations
•Worsening of depression
•Suicidal thoughts

Except for maybe the last two, the others would seem to be an improvment
to "my" personallity. Im very predictable, so •Strange behavior might make me more friends?
•Confusion. Well thats nothing new.
•More outgoing or aggressive behavior than normal. YES! Im tired of being pushed around in life.
•Agitation. Gets the blood flowing. More involved in life.
•Hallucinations. Now when has THAT been a negitive? And whos to say what is / is not real?
 ;D
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline weasel

« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2010, 06:25:19 pm »
Only good side effects ... Trazadone puts me to sleep at night & gives me wood in the morning.   :o

WOOD ?   splain !

I have NO side effects  :P

I always forget about the etiquette police  ???

Sleep well ,
                                                 Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline denb45

« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2010, 07:13:39 pm »
   WOOD ?   splain !

I have NO side effects  :P

I always forget about the etiquette police  ???

Sleep well ,
                                                 Carl

A hard-on, a chubby, are whatever else you wanna call it  ;D

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2010, 10:48:10 pm »
A hard-on, a chubby, are whatever else you wanna call it  ;D

I call mine "Atlas." ::)
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline denb45

« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2010, 10:24:38 am »
I call mine "Atlas." ::)

:P nice name Mark  ;D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.