Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:14:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773196
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 410
Total: 411

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tonight On PBS--Guns and Adam Lanza  (Read 3685 times)

Offline tednlou2

Tonight On PBS--Guns and Adam Lanza
« on: February 19, 2013, 08:00:38 pm »
I know we've been instructed to not have a gun debate here, so we will have to be careful about discussing this.  Or, not discuss it at all.  I never understood such a huge issue being off limits, but it is what it is. 

I did want to let anyone interested know that PBS is doing a two-hour special tonight, beginning at 9pm, EST.  It is late notice, but we have two PBS stations here, and the other runs the shows later.  I am sure they will rerun the programs through the week, or have them online.

The first is "After Newtown:  Guns in America."  The second is "Frontline:  Raising Adam Lanza."  That airs at 10pm. 

From the interviews I've seen, it seems his mother is viewed in a more favorable light, and they attempt to debunk many mistaken beliefs.  I will have to watch and see. 

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: Tonight On PBS--Guns and Adam Lanza
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 08:06:34 pm »
I know we've been instructed to not have a gun debate here, so we will have to be careful about discussing this.  Or, not discuss it at all.  I never understood such a huge issue being off limits, but it is what it is. 

Hey Ted,

I think you may be confusing a "warning" on not starting another gun debate post, after such a post had just been locked.  Other than denialists rantings, I'm not aware that any topic is off limits.  These warnings are pretty common, when a nasty thread gets locked, but their intent is only temporary, to allow emotions to cool.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe the moderators meant to never discuss guns again.

Joe

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 11:48:14 pm »
I agree with Joe's take.

I wish I'd know of this PBS set earlier -- I hope it's re-run soon.

So, on the topic of guns -- how 'bout Biden's newest -- Get a shotgun! And how he told his wife (cuz they live in a wooded area which I and a million others didn't know until today) if anyone comes, go up on the deck (implied a second floorview) and fire off a couple of shots. He said that would be more accurate (relevance?) and effective than an AK47 in terms of scaring someone off.  Joe was so impassioned, you can bet there's at least one shotgun in Biden's cave.

I felt like we were watchin' the modern-day Rifleman as VP.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:50:05 pm by emeraldize »

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 12:47:25 am »
Hey Ted,

I think you may be confusing a "warning" on not starting another gun debate post, after such a post had just been locked.  Other than denialists rantings, I'm not aware that any topic is off limits.  These warnings are pretty common, when a nasty thread gets locked, but their intent is only temporary, to allow emotions to cool.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe the moderators meant to never discuss guns again.

Joe

Thanks.  I had thought that surely the subject was not off limits forever, but wasn't sure.  I suppose this is where some communication on my part would have helped, with a simple question to the mods.

Ok, the program was interesting.  The first hour was about the history of guns in America, and how they came here from Europe.  One man says the murder rate went up, ever since the Colt 45 was introduced.  They discuss the Civil War factor.  Millions of guns were made during the war.  And, the government allowed the soldiers to keep the weapons after the war.  We went from guns being fairly scarce to having millions out there.  There is the discussion about whether the Second Amendment is an individual right.  I've always read it, as it is written. 

The second hour is about Adam and Newtown.  There are still many questions left unanswered about Adam.  However, it did provide a better insight into the mental illness Adam suffered.  Frontline obtained pics of Adam, from his youth.  His eyes seem vacant in every picture.  Frontline follows reporters from the local newspaper, as they search for information into the lives of the family, and how bad his illness was.  From a very young age, Adam couldn't not stand to be touched.

One family friend said shooting with him was the only way she could have something to do with him.  It was their only connection.  He had no interest in anything else, with her.  While it does seem like asking for trouble, I did come away with more understanding.  They show emails she had written to friends.  It is apparent she was very concerned about him, and loved him very much.  She was worried about him being "normal" and able to live an independent life.  There came a time when she realized that was not going to happen.  Her friends say reports of her being a gun nut or a survivalist are completely wrong.  They say she had guns, like so many others.  One person who knew them said she and others died, because she failed to lock up her guns. 

While watching it, I thought many would see it as sympathizing with a "monster."  But, he was obviously so deeply ill.  Making him a monster does no good.  I would not say this to parents, who lost their child.  They have the right to feel whatever they want.  Discussing his illness does help, and will hopefully help parents see warning signs, if they exist.  The show ends with the families promising to make change.  They say they need to get educated on gun laws, and they will be testifying before Congress and trying to change things.  They say they know the window of making change is closing very quickly. 

Oh, I did see Biden's comments.  I get what he was saying, but telling people to buy shotguns and fire them into the air was stupid.  When they accidentally hit someone, I guess their defense will be the VP told them to do it. 

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 06:37:14 am »
Here's the YouTube link. It's interesting because he implies firing it into the air, but makes actual comparison to the ease of use, likely hit of a target comparing an AK to a double-barrel shotgun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIuk3G9Xixc

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 06:53:45 am »
Hey Ted,

Joe

Joe, you're correct. The last gun thread got locked because emotions were running high in the immediate aftermath of Sandy Hook and things were getting nasty (in the thread). If folks have calmed down now and can have a rational discussion without personal attacks, have at it.

But don't think for a minute that this one won't get shut down as well if things get too heated. :)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 08:22:20 am »
The takeaway from the Raising Adam Lanza documentary - the teacher (principal?) who says that Adam was really into World of Warcraft, really into the violent acts in the game, and then he flat out says it was a mistake for the mother to choose shooting as their joint activity.  (Of course, this is all hindsight.) Then the reporters sum up about how she really didn't care to mix into the support networks of other parents with kids with autism and asperger's.

Overall I am left with a bitter taste in my mouth, a judgement that the kid was royally fucked up and the mom was the kind of parent, both narcissistic and ignorant, who thinks parental love is the cure all, the parent who thinks he/she must know best what is right for their kid...  She didn't do what was best. That kid had a lot of power and insisted on his isolation and she seemed globally to have allowed this, he got it for himself and he inflicted it on her.  There's sufficient testimony in the doc that if she had availed herself of her community's resources, she could have protected herself and her community, and maybe had a different result with her son, as well.   But again, this is all hindsight.

____
That teacher who tried to build a relationship with Adam also explains behavior that seems to be PDA - pathological demand avoidance.
http://www.autism.org.uk/about-autism/related-conditions/pda-pathological-demand-avoidance-syndrome.aspx

It really seems like he managed to get the upper hand over this mom and that isolation and "freedom" provided the opening for his pathology to develop and finally express itself. 

Yes this is just armchair speculation.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:11:37 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 10:18:15 am »
- Get a shotgun! And how he told his wife (cuz they live in a wooded area which I and a million others didn't know until today) if anyone comes, go up on the deck (implied a second floorview) and fire off a couple of shots.

He also said to keep people away in an earthquake.."Buy some shotgun shells". LMAO. BRILLIANT! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rsUf19LHCQ

and then he flat out says it was a mistake for the mother to choose shooting as their joint activity.  (Of course, this is all hindsight.) T

I'll say it once, I'll say it again...You dont take a child who has known mental issues to a shooting range to try to soothe him.  That shouldn't be hindsight, but maybe I'm a different kind of parent but this conversation would never happen in my house.. "Oh whats wrong Adam, feeling a bit down? Let's go shoot some AR-15's"

-w
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 10:25:10 am »
I mean its hindsight on the part of the community, looking back on the childhood of a psychotic murderer they knew.  The scout master said all the scouts were shooting guns too. 

I think its important not to hang the violence and pathology on his asperger's (diagnosis that no longer exists, by the way, now its all Austism spectrum).  Just like its wrong to say it's a about guns. Or its about the violent games.  Instead it seems like a perfect storm of bad living and mistakes and deficient parenting, that allowed a pathology to express itself.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 05:02:39 pm »
The takeaway from the Raising Adam Lanza documentary - the teacher (principal?) who says that Adam was really into World of Warcraft, really into the violent acts in the game, and then he flat out says it was a mistake for the mother to choose shooting as their joint activity.  (Of course, this is all hindsight.) Then the reporters sum up about how she really didn't care to mix into the support networks of other parents with kids with autism and asperger's.

If someone is going to blame a video game for violent deaths, they picked the wrong one.  World of Warcraft is about as violent as a Looney Toons cartoon, when compared to Modern Warfare, Halo, Grand Theft Auto and dozens of other games.  It frustrates me that folks like this principal can spout off opinions, that have absolutely no basis in facts.

Joe

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.