Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:04:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 229
Total: 230

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: On a lighter note  (Read 10782 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
On a lighter note
« on: June 06, 2007, 10:00:04 am »
Either I am getting used to feeling high or the Sustiva side effects are lessening.

I still feel a bit groggy at times, but I no longer feel drunk after taking it, something I have noted when getting up in the middle of the night. Well, at least not as drunk, but still a little woozy.

I am feeling much better about the drug and have hopes it will continue to be more tolerable. I have yet to have a cocktail though, something I may try at home first just to see if it cause any repercussions.

I don't drink all that often, but once in a while, I do like to have a cocktail or a glass of wine.

Anyway, since I have been so whiny lately, I thought I had better post something more upbeat.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: On a lighter note
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 10:01:41 am »
You've not been too whiny.  I'm glad to hear your body is adjusting to the medication.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 10:38:47 am »
Mark:
  I don't think you've been to whiney.  I'm wondering how you're doing on the not smoking with Chantix, because I can't seem to kick it.
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline aztecan

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 11:17:04 am »
Hey Betty,

Well, I did really well for the first three months. Didn't smoke at all and didn't miss it all that much.

Then, when I stopped taking the Chantix, it was still OK, little bit of craving, but not too bad.

Then, I started Sustiva and it was like being on a four-week drunk. Maybe it was just psychological, but I swear it kick-started the cravings big time.

So, I went back on the Chantix, but unfortunately, it has not been all that successful this time. I still smoke, but not as much. At least usually. I think the trick is to never, ever, have a ciggie again once you have quit.

I thought I could just have a couple to get me through the Sustiva adjustment. Didn't work.

I liked not smoking, after I got used to it. Now, I just don't know.

I'm still trying but I have a feeling I may have to start from square one again at some point down the road.

Hang in there. Maybe it will take just a bit more time for you.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 11:23:15 am »
Mark, I still get that drunk feeling and bounce off the door jams going to the restroom at night, then get laughing. Atripla does me the same way. At least I don't have the dreams.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 03:14:22 pm »
I still smoke, but not as much. At least usually. I think the trick is to never, ever, have a ciggie again once you have quit.

Oh boy Mark, you got that right! Nicotine addiction is an invention from hell I’m sure of it. I had the same self deceptive thinking even after 12 years off the filthy things until one fateful day I told myself I'd have "just one." Well that was four years ago and I've been kicking my butt since (but not the butts).  ;)

Glad you're body's getting used to the Sustiva.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline SSTALL

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 04:45:56 pm »
I am a 60 year old HIV male that has diagnosed HIV since 1988.  I also have taken Sustiva and I have been able to enjoy a cocktail with out side effects.  I currently am on Sustiva, Ziagen and Lexiva.  So far all is well.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 07:54:45 pm »
Hey Mark,

Glad to hear that the side effects of Sustiva has lessoned for you, or at least has become more tolerable. Hope that things continue to improve for you. As far as the smoking, if you don't succeed the first time, you try it again, until you are succesful. I know how tough it is...Been there!! I was a two and a half pack a day smoker. Smoked like a chimney...  :o

Take care of yourself-------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Christine

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 08:13:53 pm »
You have not been whiney at all. Not a tiny little bit.

I am glad the Sustiva effects are slowing down. I never had the dreams, but I did have the drunk feeling at night, especially when getting up to use the bathroom. I did get used to after awhile.
Take care,
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 12:27:05 am »
On a lighter note

don't worry about the ciggies.....I only wish I could join you....

robert

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 02:46:55 am »
Hi Sweet Man,
I quit cigs a year ago. I still have the damn urge at times. When I do, I go straight to the cigar shop. I have one cigar, then I'm sick of tobacco for a few weeks. Seems to be working. Have you tried commit lozenges??? They worked for me, only problem: I've gained 25 lbs. Oh well, can't have everything!

Glad to hear you are adjusting to your new meds, that's awesome.

Positive since 1985

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 09:09:39 am »
Mark, I don't think you've been whiney enough.

Just sayin'....

Glad to know you and Sustiva are doing ok. Fingers crossed that it does the job.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline code3mama

• Live, Laugh, Love
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 10:42:39 am »
Well I have been on Sustivia for a few years. I stopped working at night because I couldn't drive an ambulance feeling that way. My husband on the other hand finds he has to wait an hour or longer after a heavy meal to take it. if not the effects are more severe.
I wish you luck.
JAE

Offline aztecan

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 05:35:47 pm »
Thanks you all. Hey Code3Mama, welcome aboard.

I got back my latest labs today, the first since stopping Crixivan and starting Sustiva..

Viral load is still undetectable (<50).

CD4 dropped by from 1,332 to 1,075. No biggie, those numbers do that all the time.

I'm still at 38 percent, so I guess that's not too bad.

Oh, and guess what, the overall Cholesterol was 183, with an LDL of 101 and an HDL of 28 (one point better than last time!)

Liver, et al, seems to be doing just fine. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

So, that is worth at least a short happy dance.

The one dark cloud in this is my triglycerides jumped up from 183 to 271. Ouch!

I guess that means I need to cut out the ice cream, substitute scrambled tofu for eggs in the morning and get some more exercise.

If it isn't one thing, its another. But, at least I feel pretty good and not nearly as groggy as in previous weeks.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 08:25:15 pm »
Glad your numbers are doing good.  I have mine checked in about three weeks.  I'm having a whole myriad of lab tests done.  My triglycerides are extremely high also.  Just keep pluggin' away!  As for the smoking, I haven't stopped yet either.  But I SWEAR I'm going to! ;)
Love ya-
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.