Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:19:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 227
Total: 227

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

Do You Attend?

Every Week
Often, but not this week, I'm hungover
Christmas and Easter
Funerals Only
Never

Author Topic: It's Sunday Morning - Are you off to church?  (Read 121398 times)

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
Re: It's Sunday Morning - Are you off to church?
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2007, 06:36:49 pm »
How absurd.  You can't prove a negative.  Therefore your request is illogical.
  Well duh
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2007, 06:39:13 pm »
Akasha,
  Isn't Parker Posey Mouse's tarantula?

If Mouse named his tarantula Parker Posey... I'll have an awesome position for him in aupointillimitism. 

Probably Ambassador to France.

Hail, Parker Posey!

Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2007, 06:44:38 pm »
Sorry he named it Peter Parker - after Spiderman.  The postion of ambassador to the Elysées Palace is still open.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2007, 06:47:26 pm »
Sorry he named it Peter Parker - after Spiderman.  The postion of ambassador to the Elysées Palace is still open.

Looks like he's gonna be Ambassador to Nebraska now.   ;)

Always time to change spidey's name...

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2007, 06:47:55 pm »
Hey, no naked pics at #100? What gives?  Well, here's a naked female Jesus.  Where's our savior, aupoint?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2007, 06:51:43 pm »
Hey, no naked pics at #100? What gives?  Well, here's a naked female Jesus.  Where's our savior, aupoint?

Oh, I'm not your savior.  Parker Posey is.  I put a picture of here in post 101!

I am merely her messenger.  And unless I see a 12 pack of PBR and a million dollars in Euros on my door next week... I'm afraid I won't be able to take that awesome vacation will be "called home" by Parker Posey a la Oral Roberts.

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2007, 11:53:42 pm »
Bob wants to worship at the alter too! 

and this is for your avatar benj

« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 11:58:06 pm by DingoBoi »

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2007, 11:58:22 pm »
Bob wants to worship at the alter too! 

Hey!!  I lost 15 pounds since that picture was taken!!

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #108 on: February 14, 2007, 12:14:09 am »
I love that avatar!

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2007, 12:20:47 am »
I love that avatar!

The triangle pointing up should be pink!!

then it would be for a queer jew...

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Cheo63

« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2007, 01:54:20 am »
I try to go as often as possible.  I am surprised to see how many people don't believe in God.  There are hipocrites everywhere including church.  I worked with many gays that were always hipocrites and back stabbing each other.   I have also met religious people doing the same thing.  I am not trying to convert anyone but I can assure you there is a God.

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2007, 02:15:17 am »
your supposed 'assurances' are worth about as much as the toilet paper I wipe my ass with.  (hell, somebody might buy it on ebay?@?).

Stop making asinine statements assuring people that a god exists.  You are a heathen and rather insipid to believe in a fairy tale.  Do you also believe in Santa Clause still?

Why exactly would you be surprised that people don't believe in a fairy tale?  Just because you are weak willed and others may be 'afraid of death' does not consitutute proof of a never-proven afterlife....no...matter...how...much....you...want...to...believe...in....it.

Sorry you've joined a cult.  Hope that works out for ya.

kthanxbye

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2007, 04:43:22 am »
Bailey (Dingo):

That was an unbelievably obnoxious and bitchy response, even for you.

Okay, you're not religious and don't believe in God or any other deity.  We get it.  But for you to attack another member of the Forums for his or her beliefs -- after making benign statements about his belief in God and casual remarks about his observations (and don't even think about turning this into "his statements offending you" or having anything to do with you) -- is simply uncalled for. 

You know what?  I've met a lot of people with HIV/AIDS who have an intense commitment to their deity of choice and to their church.  All over the United States, in parts of the country hit really hard by the epidemic (think the rural South; think blighted urban neighborhoods), religious-based organizations -- notably community churches -- are the only ones providing the services and support that THOUSANDS of HIV-positive people desperately need.  And beyond whatever tangible services and support someone might get through their church or a religious-based organization, if an HIV-positive person's religion or spirituality gets him or her through the thick and thin of it, well, that's not for anyone else to shit all over.  You have your coping mechanism; others have theirs.

Just as we don't tolerate dogma and theological-based abuse of others in the Forums, I also want to make it clear that we do not tolerate religion bashing.  You can be a secular humanist without resorting to that nonsense.  It doesn't even make you sound cool or enlightened; it makes you sound ignorant.   

Personally, I'd love nothing more to give you a time out for such nastiness.  But I'm going to let this slide... on the condition that you apologize, either publicly or privately, to Cheo63 for your insensitivity.

Tim Horn   
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 04:58:51 am by Tim Horn »

Offline mjmel

« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2007, 04:52:01 am »
KUDOS to Tim Horn.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2007, 05:00:16 am »
Akasha,
  Isn't Parker Posey Mouse's tarantula?

I thought Mouse's spidey was called Peter Parker?

(thinks to herself someone needs a hug but I won't tell.. :-X)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 05:10:34 am by Queen Akasha »
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2007, 05:39:07 am »
I was raised Catholic but became a Congregationalist (United Church of Christ) cause I still believed in Christianity but couldn't deal with most of the rigid stances of the Catholic Church. Plus I'm a hardcore liberal and felt out of place in the Catholic Church and the UCC was so warm and welcoming -- especially the one I consider my home base which is Open and Affirming designated.

I agree with Queen - respect each others beliefs. I don't expect, or try, or have any right, to make any one believe what I believe, and I don't expect others to try to convert me (not that I'm very persuadable anyway.) :)

I told my parents and my boyfriend when I die I want the funeral at this pretty UCC Church out on Long Island. It personally bring me comfort and peace.

Mikey :)
"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline jupiter

« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2007, 06:13:57 am »
THANK YOU TIM!!

Its cool if you dont belive in God I respect that. Its not a problem. But I do and thats cool as well.

I hate the way people say christians Judge others (yes some do but they are a minority.) But people who dont have spiritual beleifs judge christians just as much if not more.... something to think about there

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2007, 06:19:58 am »
Its funny how you change the older you get. I remember doing a term paper in college for a Religious History Class on why Organized Religion was the greatest evil in the world and belief in God was just for the weak. I think I wrote it after reading three Ann Rand books and was aided by buckets of amphetamines. I thought it was quite good,my professor a PHD threw it in the garbage can.  He flunked me. Only class I ever got lower than a B in.
Well,its 5:30 am and I am off to the chapel for my daily prayer and meditation.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2007, 06:55:20 am »
"There cannot be a God because if there were one, I could not believe that I was not He." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Churches are religion. In my opinion religion is man-made madness.

I do believe in God, and have all the proof I need of his love.

Daniel
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 06:57:47 am by DanielMark »
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2007, 07:49:54 am »
your supposed 'assurances' are worth about as much as the toilet paper I wipe my ass with.  (hell, somebody might buy it on ebay?@?).

Stop making asinine statements assuring people that a god exists.  You are a heathen and rather insipid to believe in a fairy tale.  Do you also believe in Santa Clause still?

Why exactly would you be surprised that people don't believe in a fairy tale?  Just because you are weak willed and others may be 'afraid of death' does not consitutute proof of a never-proven afterlife....no...matter...how...much....you...want...to...believe...in....it.

Sorry you've joined a cult.  Hope that works out for ya.

kthanxbye

Just guess, but thinking that this type of reaction results from a very bad experience.  But, it does bring an interesting point regarding various beliefs and the purpose behind a church.  Some churches and a lot that you seen on television are primarily "saving souls."  While others, focus primarily on man's relationship to God and his fellow man.  Tell us, Dingo, what happened?

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2007, 07:52:36 am »
I was raised Catholic but became a Congregationalist (United Church of Christ) cause I still believed in Christianity but couldn't deal with most of the rigid stances of the Catholic Church. Plus I'm a hardcore liberal and felt out of place in the Catholic Church and the UCC was so warm and welcoming -- especially the one I consider my home base which is Open and Affirming designated.

I agree with Queen - respect each others beliefs. I don't expect, or try, or have any right, to make any one believe what I believe, and I don't expect others to try to convert me (not that I'm very persuadable anyway.) :)

I told my parents and my boyfriend when I die I want the funeral at this pretty UCC Church out on Long Island. It personally bring me comfort and peace.

Mikey :)

Yay! I.UCC.2!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2007, 07:54:00 am »
"There cannot be a God because if there were one, I could not believe that I was not He." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Churches are religion. In my opinion religion is man-made madness.

I do believe in God, and have all the proof I need of his love.

Daniel

Do you hear him pass in the rustling grass?

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2007, 07:55:30 am »
I try to go as often as possible.  I am surprised to see how many people don't believe in God.  There are hipocrites everywhere including church.  I worked with many gays that were always hipocrites and back stabbing each other.   I have also met religious people doing the same thing.  I am not trying to convert anyone but I can assure you there is a God.

Because he lives within your heart.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2007, 07:57:27 am »
Oh, I'm not your savior.  Parker Posey is.  I put a picture of here in post 101!

I am merely her messenger.  And unless I see a 12 pack of PBR and a million dollars in Euros on my door next week... I'm afraid I won't be able to take that awesome vacation will be "called home" by Parker Posey a la Oral Roberts.

I'm just afraid people are now abbreviating aupointillimitism down to autism....
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 01:36:55 pm by fondeveau »

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2007, 09:05:21 am »
Do you hear him pass in the rustling grass?

I sense him in the grass and everywhere else Fondeveau, when I stop filling my life and thoughts with noise and distractions.

“And down they forgot as up they grew.” (unknown)

"That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it you can't understand it. And if you do, no explanation is necessary." (Kira Nerys)

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2007, 01:25:31 pm »
I'm thinking.... and considering....

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #126 on: February 14, 2007, 01:36:17 pm »
I'm thinking.... and considering....

So as long as you don't think I'm trying to flame bait you.  I really am just interested in your perspective.

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #127 on: February 14, 2007, 01:38:21 pm »
oh, it's coming... no I don't think it's flame bait from you. 

I need to get my thoughts in order and respond in a coherent manner that represents the way I feel. 

It may be my doom.

Offline Londonguy

« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2007, 01:45:46 pm »
I haven't been to church on a Sunday since I was young.  I think organised religion causes way more problems than it solves and it breeds ignorance and illogical thought by saying that people should just have 'faith' regardless as to whether it makes logical sense or not.  It discourages people from thinking for themselves, encouraging them to follow, sheep-like ,and I despise the way people use a book of extremely dubious origin to justify their prejudices and bigotry. 

Offline cph9680

« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2007, 05:52:33 pm »
I'm a Catholic in recovery and on the verge of contracting atheism, so I don't go to church very much

Offline bear60

« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2007, 06:39:53 pm »
I am a non practicing Methodist. One of my best friends is a FORMER catholic nun.  Although she still goes to church and prays for all her friends, she is just the sweetest person in the world and I love her dearly. Whenever we have someone ill or hurt she prays for them.  Hey it cant hurt. 
And.........................what is it about nuns that brings out the habits on Halloween?????
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 06:49:11 pm by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Cheo63

« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2007, 01:27:47 am »
Thank you Tim for your comments.   Believe me, I did not get offended at all.  I expected at least one person to respond that way.   I am Catholic and at one point in my life was very angry at the church.  However, things changed in my life and I now believe in God.  It is a person's right to believe or not.   I posted my comments as part of sharing not to convert anyone (unless they want to! lol).   In any case, thanks again.

DingoBoi, you don't have to apologize.

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2007, 08:58:18 pm »
I can and will apologize for the abusive tone of my post.   I cannot apologize for the basic content of such as god simply doesn't exist.  Tim, while I can appreciate some people choose to believe in mythology as a source of strength, they can do so in the Living With forum, where I purposely avoid conversations like this.  I would not deign to educate someone there about their delusions.  I can appreciate that many religious based organizations are the only ones providing aid and support in some areas.  However, community service is no proof of religion.

This forum is different and to let claims of the existance of god go unanswered is tantamount to denying the very science this site is based upon... which is quite an incongruous position to be in.  Do you support science or mythology or do you pick and choose when one should apply and when the other should?   This would not pass muster in the Fears forum and I cannot let it pass muster in off-topic, no matter how shattered peoples worlds will be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDHJ4ztnldQ&feature=PlayList&p=BCED8CE274DDFB25&index=42

For a tangible and logical, well thought explanation:  http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 10:49:57 pm by DingoBoi »

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2007, 09:22:05 pm »
1)  God does heal amputees:

Luke 6:6-11

It also happened on another Sabbath that he entered into the synagogue and taught.
There was a man there, and his right hand was withered.
The scribes and the Pharisees watched him,
to see whether he would heal on the Sabbath,
that they might find an accusation against him.
But he knew their thoughts;
and he said to the man who had the withered hand,
"Rise up, and stand in the middle."
He arose and stood.
Then Jesus said to them, "I will ask you something:
Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good, or to do harm?
To save a life, or to kill?"
He looked around at them all, and said to the man, "Stretch out your hand."
He did, and his hand was restored as sound as the other.
But they were filled with rage,
and talked with one another about what they might do to Jesus.

Luke 22:49-51

49  When those who were around him saw what was about to happen,
they said to him, "Lord, shall we strike with the sword?"
50  A certain one of them struck the servant of the high priest, and cut off his right ear.
51  But Jesus answered, "Let me at least do this"
—and he touched his ear, and healed him.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2007, 09:23:11 pm »
2) Why are people starving?

Luke 9:10-17
The apostles, when they had returned, told him what things they had done.
He took them, and withdrew apart to a deserted place of a city called Bethsaida.
But the multitudes, perceiving it, followed him.
He welcomed them, and spoke to them of the Kingdom of God,
and he cured those who needed healing.
The day began to wear away; and the twelve came, and said to him, "Send the multitude away, that they may go into the surrounding villages and farms, and lodge, and get food, for we are here in a deserted place."

But he said to them, "You give them something to eat." They said, "We have no more than five loaves and two fish, unless we should go and buy food for all these people."
For they were about five thousand men.

He said to his disciples, "Make them sit down in groups of about fifty each."

They did so, and made them all sit down.
He took the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to the sky, he blessed them,
and broke them, and gave them to the disciples to set before the multitude.
They ate, and were all filled.
They gathered up twelve baskets of broken pieces that were left over.

Some would say that the miracle was making something out of little or nothing.  Others read this story that Jesus' example was sharing.  That the real miracle was that each of the 5000 shared what they had with their neighbor.  By sharing, everyone had their fill and there was plenty leftover.  In our world, people aren't starving because God hasn't provided, but because we simply won't share enough.  This is the same reason why many  HIV+ people don't have meds.

Offline DingoBoi

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2007, 09:29:09 pm »
Isn't it something of a circular tautology to answer Bailey's question using the Bible?

I'm an atheist for essentially the reasons given in the last link Bailey provided.  I see no evidence for God anywhere.  None.  And of he does exist, then he manifests himself as an absence and thus is to be ignored. 

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2007, 09:30:04 pm »
3) Why does God demand the death of innocents?

Well, the examples given aren't really the best example of God's demand for innocent blood.  The story of Isaac is definitely more challenging in that regard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binding_of_Isaac.  The demands for innocent blood are all examples taken from the Old Testament and specifically the books dealing with the Law of Moses.  Christians believe that God sacrificed his own son, Jesus, that we need no longer die for our sins whether we break the sabbath, act like a rebellious teenager, or are gay, etc.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2007, 09:35:18 pm »
4) Bible vs. Science - the viewpoint that the Bible and science are somehow are at odds with each other simply isn't the viewpoint of many Christians - http://www.ucc.org/justice/education/evolution.pdf.

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2007, 09:41:39 pm »
The cure of your delusions

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/video7.htm

and why you will never go to heaven

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/video1.htm
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 09:46:41 pm by DingoBoi »

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2007, 09:45:50 pm »
5)  God Loves Slavery:  

Most of us agree that being a Christian is more than a set of beliefs; it requires right action. Furthermore, Christian action, we think, ought to be informed by the Bible. Yet in the history of the church, Christians have read the same Bible and sometimes ended up justifying radically different actions—especially related to questions of war, race, gender and sexuality.

The 19th-century U.S. struggle over slavery is a case in point. Many northerners condemned slavery, whereas southerners supported it. The Rev. James Pennington, who was born a slave in 1807 in Maryland, escaped to become one of a handful of well-educated African-American clergy serving Congregational churches in Massachusetts and Connecticut. He was active in the anti-slavery movement.

Pennington, like many black Christians, struggled to have faith in a God who could permit slavery—who could make such a "serious blunder" in the order of things. He could not imagine how a wise and good God created a world with the evil of slavery. "If I am deceived here—if the word of God does sanction slavery, I want another book, another repentance, another faith, and another hope! I speak very reverently, and from a deep and mournful reflection," he wrote.

In his struggle with this issue, Pennington came to believe that slaveholding was "condemned by the general tenor and scope of the New Testament." Why? Because the "system of slavery" produced "great cruelty." Look at the actions supported by slavery, he preached. "If we could calculate the amount of woe endured by ill-treated slaves, it would overwhelm every compassionate heart." Such actions did not "agree with the Gospel." No text in the Bible, he insisted, sanctions cruelty, or mangling, or imprisonment, or starvation, or torture. Therefore, Christians must ask other Christians "by what authority they have done these things and continue to do them."

Pennington thought that Northern Christians had "a right to refuse communion with American slaveholders as Christians." "My brethren," wrote Pennington, "the question is fully settled with me; I hope it is with you."

There are issues in our time where biblical texts present conflicting messages that divide Christians. Like Pennington, we might do well to ask, what is the "general tenor and scope of the New Testament?" How do various beliefs relate to actions? And what actions are in keeping with the whole message of the Gospel?  Clearly, not that God loved slavery?

A Different Kind of Slavery:

"Proclaim liberty throughout the lands and to all the inhabitants thereof,
it shall be a jubilee for you." Leviticus 25:10

“Every seventh year you shall grant a remission of debts... Remember,
you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the LORD your God redeemed you;
for this reason I lay this command upon you today.”  Deuteronomy 15:1, 14-15

In Leviticus, a Jubilee year is a special year of remission of sins and
universal pardon.  Slaves and prisoners are to be freed, debts are to be forgiven,
equal relations in communities are to be restored, and the mercies of God are to
be particularly evident.

Pope John Paul II announced a Great Jubilee for the year 2000.  
Protestant and Orthodox Churches were invited to celebrate the Jubilee together
with Roman Catholics as a sign of ecumenical dialogue.  The Pope’s
proclamation raised the profile of debt cancellation in an unprecedented way.  
Seven years later, the Jubilee/USA Network, which works to eliminate unjust
global debt, has declared 2007 a Sabbath Year.  The United Church of Christ is
a proud member of the Jubilee coalition, calling for debt cancellation in some of
the world’s poorest countries and inspiring policy makers to imagine that
another world is possible.  

Some of the global debt statistics are staggering:  For every dollar sent to
poor countries in aid, $1.30 flows back to lenders in debt service.  Although $7.5
and $15 billion is needed annually to fight HIV/AIDS in Africa each year,
Africa pays out $13.5 billion in debt service every year.

These statistics are far more disturbing in cases of illegitimate and odious
debt, debt incurred by regimes (often dictatorships or un-democratically elected
leaders) for purposes that have not benefited the people of that country.  In some
cases, the money has gone to directly oppressing the people.  Most of the time
the lenders such as the World Bank and International Monetary Fund know that
the money will never reach the people of the country.  Yet the people of the
world’s poorest countries are left paying the interest incurred with little hope of
breaking the chains of this new form of slavery in their lifetime.

The All Africa Council of Churches has said that, “every child in
Africa is born with a financial burden which a lifetime’s work cannot repay.  
The debt is a new form of slavery as vicious as the slave trade.”  

Jubilee USA boldly calls for a type of justice that does not conform to
our society’s traditional view of justice.  It calls for debt cancellation without
condition.  It calls for freedom without repayment.  It calls for a forgiveness that
is reminiscent of God’s saving grace.  This echo of God’s grace that rings
throughout the Jubilee campaign is exactly why we Christians should act up in

January 21, 2007 is Jubilee Sunday and will launch the Sabbath year.  
Why not start now?  Learn more at www.jubileeusa.org.

Nor should we love slavery.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2007, 09:51:28 pm »
6) Why do bad things happen to Good People?

This is a very good question and the subject of the book of Job.  http://blog.netesq.com/2004/11/why-does-god-let-good-people-suffer.html.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2007, 09:55:41 pm »
7) Why is there no evidence of Jesus' miracles?

I'm not sure whether its being asked whether Jesus' miracles can be explained naturally or they are looking for something concrete?  But, as with the story of the loaves and fishes, the real miracle was the change in how people saw each other and cared for one another.

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2007, 09:58:54 pm »
you still aren't using critical thinking in any of your arguments.  See the milk jug movie...again.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2007, 10:00:34 pm »
8) Why doesn't Jesus appear?

To whom or for what purpose?  At different times, God spoke to man in different ways.  Notice that there are no prophets among us?

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2007, 10:02:34 pm »
9) Eat my body drink my blood.

Yes, it sounds horribly cannibalistic and indeed this was one point which Romans used to persecute that outlandish sect.  Communion is basically a sacrament of remembrance - remembering the sacrifice of Christ for the redemption of mankind.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2007, 10:04:10 pm »
10)  Why are so many Christians divorced?

Because Christians are no different from any others humans that walk the face of the earth.  There may be some who think they are different, but, its just not true.  Christians have the same trials, downfalls, heartbreaks as every other human. 

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2007, 10:12:04 pm »
Isn't it something of a circular tautology to answer Bailey's question using the Bible?

I'm an atheist for essentially the reasons given in the last link Bailey provided.  I see no evidence for God anywhere.  None.  And of he does exist, then he manifests himself as an absence and thus is to be ignored. 

Its not an answer to Bailey's question.  The video asks why God doesn't heal amputees.  The simple answer is that He does and in two recorded instances, Jesus did.  Of course, you could get into more fundamental Christian thought and start talking about people being assumed into heaven on the day of rapture and rising from the grave and being made whole again, etc.

Well, you may not see evidence of God and that is fine for you and fine for Bailey.  I see evidence of God when I see people loving their neighbors and doing unto others.  Indeed you are right, where such loving and care do not exist, God is truly absent and ignored.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2007, 10:17:31 pm »
you still aren't using critical thinking in any of your arguments.  See the milk jug movie...again.

Oh, its not that I want us to ever agree.  Your definition or perception of something Christian might better be labelled "fundamentalist" or "televangelist" - often the loudest voices in the Christian community, but not representative of all.  I couldn't agree more when someone says Oral Roberts is a silly ass for saying that God told him he would be called home if people didn't send more money.  Christianity is ripe for such abuse and historically endured such abuse where people would not critically think about what was being promoted in the name of faith. 

Offline bear60

« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2007, 10:18:46 pm »
uh oh
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.