Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:10:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773214
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 467
Total: 468

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tested Pos  (Read 3960 times)

Offline pozpessimist

Tested Pos
« on: September 22, 2009, 11:34:28 pm »
Havent been ill at all except some nasty something that I ended up waiting out in december and never got it checked. (doc thinks around time of initial infection).  At the beginning of august was hospitalized for a week with pnuemonia, valley fever ect... a whole mess of stuff after not feeling right for about 3 weeks and hoping it will go away. this time it didnt.  Finally was dragged to the hospital where at first they didnt know what was wrong with me and after insistence from my mom they tested me for HIV (at first ER didnt want to do test).  So later in a dementia/drug filled stupor I was told that the tests came back positive and that my CD4 count was 19 (a quantative viral count wasnt taken it seems).  Also during this time I had a million things of blood drawn to make sure i didnt have anything else, a couple of scans, oh and that colonoscopy was not that fun.  So they tested me for pretty much everything under the sun which I do have to thank them for there thoroughness I guess.  Now im pretty much holed up in my house afraid to catch something while my CD4 count is so low and im going crazy(hopefully not literally) here. I got tested on the 22nd of August and had CD4 86/14.3% and my VL was 266k.  Last thursday I finally started meds and am taking atripla.

Sorry for the long blah rant/story i just wanted to get it out

Offline Dale Parker

Re: Tested Pos
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 01:24:14 am »
Hey Poz: I was tested at the end of March this year and had pretty much the same numbers as you.  My CD4 was 21, viral load 500,000+ CD4 to CD8 ratio was 0.0.  After 3 months on the meds my numbers rose to CD4 159, viral load 750 and CD4 to CD8 ratio 0.2. Health wise prior to testing I had shingles 18 months before testing and some skin rashes that the doctors thought were allergic reactions to something.  Other than that I was almost never sick and when I was it was only a slight cold. I did panic about picking up something with my numbers so low.  I had my cat put down as I was worried that I could pick something up from her. 
After a month or so I decided to live my life as I normally would.  I've been camping 4 or 5 times, ride my bike almost every day, go to the malls and have just started to volunteer at one of the HIV/Aids groups. I do try to avoid people who are sick with colds and stuff. I am also a little more conscious about hand washing. I do make sure that I wash food and get rid of leftovers after a few days in the fridge.  I did give myself food poisoning as I ate some cabbage stew that was 5 days old.  The food passioning could have been due to my low numbers but could also have been because I moved to a new place and the fridge isn't as cold as my previous one.
   I do try to live my life as I normally would have prior to be diagnosed.  I may get sick from being around or doing something that I shouldn't in my "condition" but I will cross that road when I come to it. I say get out and do what you feel like doing just be a little more conscious of things and don't be afraid to back off if anything makes you uncomfortable.
Best of Luck
Dale
Apr 09  CD4 21, CD4/CD8 ratio 0 VL 500,000+
July 09 CD4 158, CD4/CD812% VL 750
Oct 09 CD4 157 CD4/CD8 14% VL UD
Feb 10 CD4 197, CD4/CD8 11% VL UD
May 10  CD4 252 CD4/CD8 12% VL UD
Aug 10 CD4 211 VL UD
Nov 10 CD4 272 CD4/CD8 0.138 VL UD

Offline skeebo1969

Re: Tested Pos
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 02:47:01 am »

Pozpessimist,

Your name kind of reminds me of the state of mind I was in when I originally joined the forums back in October of 2005.  I took on the moniker SadTom because well... I probably need not explain, seems you already understand how I felt at the time.

It can be tough in the beginning, but as time goes on day by day it gets easier.  The antiviral you are on works really well and should have you up and out of your house in no time.  Seeing that your Cd4 count is so low I would recommend you get plenty of rest, eat as best you can, and try to limit contact with anyone who is sick.  If you feel the need to get out for a while, take a walk.....  oh speaking of that are you on anything else like Bactrim?  If you are remember to heed the warning on the label for sun exposure....  Just remember to be good to yourself, do what makes you happy within limitations because your mental state will of course help your physical well-being.

Welcome to the forums, and oh no need to apologize for posting in this forum for support.  To be honest your rant is far shorter than my introductory rant was......  judging from that alone you are going to be OK.   

You will find that this forum is a great support system and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.  There are many members here who have lived with this virus for many years and they are a valuable source of information and support. 

Take care of yourself,

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.