Bienvenido(a), Visitante. Por favor, ingresa o regístrate.
Marzo 19, 2024, 02:19:01 am

Ingresar con nombre de usuario, contraseña y duración de la sesión

Usuarios
Stats
  • Total de Mensajes: 772784
  • Total de Temas: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (Junio 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Usuarios en Línea
Users: 1
Guests: 234
Total: 235

-no title-

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Bienvenido

Bienvenido a los Foros Comunitarios de POZ, un área de discusión contínua para personas con VIH/SIDA, sus amigos/familiares/personas que los cuidan, y otros a quienes les interese el tema del VIH/SIDA. Haz clic en los enlaces que siguen para visitar nuestros foros, o participa de la conversación al inscribirte en el sector izquierdo de esta página.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here(Members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí(Sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Advertencia sobre la privacidad: Ten en cuenta que estos foros están abiertos para todos y que se los puede encontrar haciendo búsquedas en Google u otros buscadores. Si eres VIH positivo y lo revelas en nuestros foros, es lo mismo que decírselo al mundo entero (o al menos al mundo entero en Internet). Si esto te preocupa, no uses un nombre de usuario o una imagen gráfica que pueda identificarte de alguna manera. No autorizamos borrar nada de los que escribas en los foros, por lo tanto piensa antes de hacerlo.

• La información que los moderadores y miembros comparten en estos foros, está diseñada para complementar, y no para reemplazar la relación entre un individuo y su médico de cabecera.

• Todos los miembros de estos foros, en consecuencia, no son considerados proveedores médicos con licencia. De lo contrario, los usuarios deben identificarse a sí mismos como tales.

• Los miembros de los foros siempre deben comportarse con respeto y honestidad. La publicación de guías, incluyendo políticas de suspensiones y prohibiciones han sido establecidas por los moderadores de estos foros. Haga clic aquí para las guías de publicación de “¿Estoy infectado?” Haga clic aquí para leer las guías de publicación relacionadas con todos los otros foros comunitarios de POZ.

• Solicitamos a todos los miembros de los foros que proporcionen referencias sobre la información relacionada con la salud/médica/científica que brinden, cuando no se trate de una experiencia personal que estén compartiendo. Por favor proporcionen enlaces con direcciones de Internet completas o citas completas de trabajos publicados que no estén disponibles en Internet. Además, todos los miembros de los foros deben publicar información que sea verdadera y correcta de acuerdo con su conocimiento.

• Los anuncios de productos – incluyendo enlaces, banderas, contenido editorial y estudios clínicos, estudios o participación en encuestas – está estrictamente prohibido por los miembros de los foros a menos que POZ haya asegurado el permiso.

¿Has terminado de leer esta parte? Puedes cerrar esta o cualquier otra ventana en esta página haciendo click en el símbolo de cada ventana.

Autor Tema: What to do if condom breaks?  (Leído 11279 veces)

Desconectado anxiousaussie

What to do if condom breaks?
« en: Octubre 09, 2006, 06:33:16 am »
Hi

I have a question regarding safe sex and condoms and was hoping that someone may be able to answer if possible. As there is a chance of condoms breaking, what should you do if the condom breaks? Say for example you both stop having sex straight away,  is there a significant risk for STD transmission and does one need to consider risk and possible prophylaxis etc, or is it reasonable to put on another condom and continue having sex ? Thankyou

Desconectado Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: What to do if condom breaks?
« Respuesta #1 en: Octubre 09, 2006, 07:24:11 am »
anxious,

It's fairly rare for someone to become infected following a condom break, especially for a top (with or without ejaculation) or a bottom when there's been no ejaculation. And of course, you should stop as soon as the break is noticed and put a new condom on.

The best thing you can do is to make sure the condoms are being used correctly, as a correctly used condom rarely breaks. Please read through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence. Two of the biggest causes of condom breakage are not getting the air out of the tip of the condom and not using enough lube.

As for PEP, if a condom breaks and ejaculation has occured, it the top is positive or status unknown, PEP would be a definite consideration for the bottom. PEP is serious stuff and has to be taken for 28 days and it would be far easier to make sure the condoms are being used correctly with plenty of lube.

While you're here, along with the links in my signature line, please have a look at the Welcome Thread and follow the Lessons links found there.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Desconectado Michelle2006

« Respuesta #2 en: Octubre 09, 2006, 08:35:24 pm »
Hi there, I understand your fear because I have been there myself. I was in this relationship with a guy who I suspencted was having sex with other girls and because of that, our relationship ended after 3 months. Then a couple of months  later he came back, (wrote me poems, was very present, affectionate and told me how much he missed me) and I fell for it. We started dating again and one day we when having sex, the condom broke and I did not notice. Once I got home and took a shower, I found a piece of plastic in my *****. The bastard knew but did not bother telling me the condom broke and I hurt me more that I had to find out myself.
 Anyway all that to tell you that condoms are an effective way to protect yourself agains STDs and HIV but sometimes they fail. Especially if they are not used properly. What I advise you (and I know It will be hard ) is to for you and your partner to get tested everytime you begin a new relationship or just want to have sex. So you will both be more comfortable and will enjoy it better.

Desconectado RapidRod

« Respuesta #3 en: Octubre 10, 2006, 02:45:47 am »
Michelle2006, please start your own thread, if you have questions or thoughts. Do not put your thoughts in others threads.

« Respuesta #4 en: Octubre 21, 2006, 07:54:05 am »
Hi there

Im sorry I didnt explain my situation very well and didnt want to go into to much detail. I feel like a bit of a goose and I appologise if I have been misleading. I thought describing a broken condom may be the closest scenario but now im not so sure this is the case. But about 6 weeks ago I had an encounter. Basically it invoved this, we gave each other oral sex, I used my finger, and had penetrative vaginal sex using a condom. From visiting this site before, I understand that this may pose a risk for some STDS but not HIV . However, after our encounter we had no more condoms, I noticed she tried to put the old condom on which I declined, it did take me a moment to realise what was happening as I had had a few drinks. (Now that this is in writing, I hope it is doesnt sound to stupid). So, the used condom went over the tip of my penis for a moment ( very brief). From what I understand, I dont really think that this would be a great risk but could I please ask the experts for their opinion? I know this sounds really petty but the side of the condom may have been the insertive part, which brings me to the question is this a HIV risk situation?

I understand that by practicing oral sex (unprotected) I should get a STD check reguarly, how often should this be? I am a little confused by this as if I dont get tested for 12 months and for example had several partners in the interm, should I not give oral sex to a woman until the next checkup as she may possibly catch something? Or should you inform the person that you have had other partmers? although that may be a bit difficult in the heat of the moment?

Thankyou

Thanks

Desconectado Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Respuesta #5 en: Octubre 21, 2006, 08:13:46 am »
anxious,

What you describe with the condom is NOT a risk for hiv infection. Hiv is a fragile virus that is not able to successfully infect a new host once it's been outside the human body.

We cannot tell you how to handle the disclosure of your sex life to your sexual partners. As long as you are using condoms (and using them correctly) for intercourse, what you've done or who you've done it with doesn't matter.

How often you get a sexual health care check up is up to you as well. It all depends on how much sexual activity you engage in whether you test once, twice or four times a year. That's for you and your sexual health care provider to decide.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

« Respuesta #6 en: Octubre 21, 2006, 08:27:46 am »
Thanks Ann

Desconectado domerano

« Respuesta #7 en: Octubre 21, 2006, 03:24:22 pm »
Hello, i hope you can unswer me as soon as posible if you know some ....
i want to make HIV test sso i would love to know in how long you can get the unswers of the test, i thank you so much if you can help me :)
regard

Desconectado Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Respuesta #8 en: Octubre 21, 2006, 03:32:05 pm »
domerano,

Posting your question in someone else's thread is called thread hijacking. You need to start your own thread. Go to the main Am I Infected forum page and click on the  New Topic button.

Before you do, please read through the Welcome Thread Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Respuesta #9 en: Octubre 25, 2006, 12:51:42 am »
Hi

I have one more niggling question if one could please answer. This will be the last one. Would it make much difference to the risk factor if the woman was ending or coming into a menstral cycle. Although there was no obvious signs, blood etc, I noticed a tampon in the bin afterwards and wondered if this may throw a different spin on the situation.

Thankyou

Desconectado Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Respuesta #10 en: Octubre 25, 2006, 04:41:09 am »
anxious,

A correctly used condom is just as effective no matter where a woman might be in her menstrual cycle.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Respuesta #11 en: Noviembre 09, 2006, 06:15:53 pm »
Hello again

I have been doing a bit of reading about cunnilingus and get the opinion that it is a slight risk/ no risk sex activity. No risk for the receiver and some risk for the giver? I guess the point I'm trying to make is does giving cunnilingus to someone warrant testing for HIV?, or would it fall into that grey type of area? From what I understand about HIV transmission lesbian sex does not provide an easy route of transmission, and there seem to be few documented cases so it seems unlikely, or is it ? I guess I'm not sure if i had a HIV situation or not. Could you please shed a little bit more light on this. Thankyou

Desconectado RapidRod

« Respuesta #12 en: Noviembre 09, 2006, 06:47:07 pm »
You are incorrect. There has never been a documented case of cunnilingus causing HIV.

« Respuesta #13 en: Noviembre 09, 2006, 07:02:10 pm »
Hi Rapid

That's amazing, not one? So I guess it would be most unlikely. I can understand that the literature is now pointing overwhelmingly towards unprotected sex for the prime vector of transmission, but there is so much information(websites only, I haven't read any studies on this) stating that cunnilingus presents a small risk? Look anyway, I would like to thank you all again. I have learnt alot, and I really appreciate your time. For some reason I think I will have to get tested in the next week to stop thinking about this so I don't waste your time. Thanks again.

Desconectado RapidRod

« Respuesta #14 en: Noviembre 09, 2006, 07:08:45 pm »
Not one.

« Respuesta #15 en: Noviembre 27, 2006, 10:13:11 pm »
Hi,
I'm probably going to drive you mad with yet again another cunnilingus question, you seem to state clearly that it is not a HIV risk activity, yet I have this one area which is still niggling away at me.  How does the menstrual cycle fit into this? I'm not to familiar with this however, I am under the impression that it can start of slowly, ie some people only notice after sex. So, what I am trying to say is that doesn't the menstrual cycle wash down some of the infectious fluids? I'm not really talking about heavy blood, but perhaps the more subtle part of the cycle, thus perhaps some people may not realise they are giving oral sex during the menstrual period? Again, thankyou for your replies so far. P.S. I haven't had a test yet, as Mid Dec will be the 13 week period, so will get full check up then. Cheers!

A bit of advice?
« Respuesta #16 en: Enero 08, 2007, 05:15:21 pm »
Hi Guys

Sorry to be back again. I have been fine till now until I have this fungal rash on my leg and fever blisters on my lips. As far as I can tell, there wasnt much of a hiv risk, but now I am freaking out. What should I do? Thanks, anxious

Desconectado Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Respuesta #17 en: Enero 08, 2007, 05:44:01 pm »
anxious,

Go see your doctor. Whatever is going on has nothing to do with hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Respuesta #18 en: Enero 08, 2007, 09:34:25 pm »
Thanks Ann

Ive booked apptment tommorrow to get tested. Im really freaking out now, ive never had rashes and I worry about looking after the kids and crazy stuff like that. Before this happened I had put a wedding ring on layby and thought life was going to be great from now on, now im not so sure.  I keep going over the event time and time again in my head and as such are really neglecting my family. I hope the test wont take too long to come back, I imagine it will be processed sometime on friday, who knows?? I keep telling myself cunnalingus, fingering and protected sex are probaly ok, but im still freaking. Thanks for your support it means alot.

Desconectado RapidRod

« Respuesta #19 en: Enero 09, 2007, 04:11:32 am »
If you are wanting to go test, that's up to you, but please don't come back here and post how worried you are  while waiting on the results. You can post again when you get your negative results.

I cant belive this
« Respuesta #20 en: Enero 09, 2007, 08:33:17 am »
I have just discovered genital warts  on the foreskin of my penis. I dont no much about these, but I guess this means that I wasnt properly protected. I know I didnt have them before this encounter and I know that my partner doesnt have them. Is it possible to get genital warts from a non-HIV situation? Im really confused here. Thankyou

Desconectado Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Respuesta #21 en: Enero 09, 2007, 09:27:21 am »
You're self diagnosiing. Those may or may not be genital warts on your penis. Discuss this with your doctor.

Even IF they are genital warts, that's nothing to do with HIV. As long as you did not have unprotected intercourse you don't have to be concerned about HIV.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Desconectado Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Respuesta #22 en: Enero 09, 2007, 09:32:12 am »
anxious,

It is totally possible to get warts from a non-hiv situation. Unlike hiv, warts are spread through skin to skin contact. It is also possible to have been exposed to warts at some time previously and not have the warts appear on your body for some time, so you cannot say with complete confidence that you got the warts from this specific encounter. And another thing, if you have unprotected intercourse with your current partner, you don't necessarily know it wasn't from her. Women can carry the wart virus on their cervix and not know about it.

Also, unless you have had a doctor diagnose the warts, you cannot be sure that's what you're looking at. Get to a doctor and get sorted out.

You didn't have a risk for hiv in your encounter.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

results back
« Respuesta #23 en: Enero 13, 2007, 05:23:35 am »
Hi Guys

I got my results back today and as you previously confirmed they came back negative. I hope this may be of reassurance to the many others that have had a similar experience. The genital warts are not warts at all, the doctor confirmed that I have had an allergic reation to something, stress perhaps? Its amazing how your mind can blow things rediciously out of proportion. Thanks again Ann, Andy, Rapid, Matt, Jkinalt and others for sound advice and help.

Anxious

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.