Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:44:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 315
Total: 316

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Treatment in 2020.  (Read 7185 times)

Offline young89

Treatment in 2020.
« on: May 03, 2013, 12:23:08 am »
Just an optimistic thread.

Do you think by 2020, any advances will have been made in the treatment of HIV?

thoughts ?

Offline elf

Re: Treatment in 2020.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 04:17:09 pm »
More expensive variants of the same meds we have, to boost big pharma sales.

Offline Elkan

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 05:25:04 pm »
lol....
i think the research has always shown something promising but yet fails us every single time. so i have decided not to place my hopes on them :(

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 05:35:37 pm »
lol....
i think the research has always shown something promising but yet fails us every single time. so i have decided not to place my hopes on them :(

How exactly do you define "progress"?  At one time, I took 32 pills, each and every day, just to treat my HIV.  I now take three to do the same thing.  If HIV drug research "fails us every single time", where exactly did we get all the new classes of drugs?

Joe

Offline JazJon

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 05:46:31 pm »
I think HIV will have a cure or functional cure by 2020.  (either Gene Transfer/Stem Cell, or Latency Wake-up and kill methods) We'll then have to deal with the aftermath I posted about here:

What would the world be like AFTER HIV is cured? (The good, bad & ugly) http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=48458.0

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 05:56:54 pm »

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 06:00:17 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 08:03:34 pm »
2020 isn't that far away, what 6 1/2 years give or take.   So I do not expect a panacea of change.  Change happens incrementally, sure sometimes you hit a breakthrough but most change happens in incremental steps.

We will probably have a few more single tablet options.  We may even have one (maybe two) options that require once a week or even once a month dosing.  Kinda like how old ladies take a Boniva pill once a month.

I don't expect a cure (but I'm a pessimist.  They will be closer sure.  But the FDA is going to make fucking damn sure that any new treatment is safe and effective before they allow a new wide scale treatment when there is already an effective treatment available...think about it.  And that could take many years to demonstrate with many clinical trials before any new type of treatment/cure attempt is approved).
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 08:53:11 pm »
What about in the year 2525?
Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline Elkan

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 10:35:11 pm »
How exactly do you define "progress"?  At one time, I took 32 pills, each and every day, just to treat my HIV.  I now take three to do the same thing.  If HIV drug research "fails us every single time", where exactly did we get all the new classes of drugs?

Joe

I am truly sorry for my word. What I meant was to cure HIV entirely.
the treatment has definitely improved a lot over years. We all hope the treatment's improving day by day to lengthen our lives with less harm :) hope the day will come sooner.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 10:56:34 pm »
I really hope there is some kind of major advancement in treatment soon-ish. Like in the next couple of years. I was truly miserable when I was doing the last clinical trial/LTNP study visit in Boston in January, but I will do it again and again as long as they ask me and as lonng as my job will let me take the time off. I've lost too many friends to be complacent now.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 11:22:11 pm »
I hope all the latest drugs are shown to give us all severe lipoatrophy
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 11:30:25 pm »
I think we will use jet packs to fly to the pharmacy .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 11:49:34 pm »
This is all really kind of sad.  ONE article written by an over zealous newspaper reporter gets picked up by every lazy "news" service has gotten a lot of people hopes up very high. 

There are going to be a lot of unhappy people "within months"

I predict.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 12:00:48 am »
I hope all the latest drugs are shown to give us all severe lipoatrophy
:o ??? :-[ :-\ :(
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Elkan

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 01:08:24 am »
This is all really kind of sad.  ONE article written by an over zealous newspaper reporter gets picked up by every lazy "news" service has gotten a lot of people hopes up very high. 

There are going to be a lot of unhappy people "within months"

I predict.

sadly, I believe so too.
but let's still hope there will be some kind of breakthrough in months time, just don't put that much of hope into it maybe.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 01:15:20 am »
Few of you cared about a cure a year or two ago. Funny how that works.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline JazJon

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 03:04:23 am »
Few of you cared about a cure a year or two ago. Funny how that works.

Calimune's Gene Transfer has huge potential.
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46455.0

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 03:33:20 am »
There are no fewer than three trials underway to distribute HIV meds once every six months via I.V. which will, for people who have an UD VL, provide a relief from any other medication. This much I know because I am part of that trial. If and when they decide I qualify and they proceed in the Atlanta area, I will keep you guys informed.

Thing is, cynics aside, there is no reason that, by 2020, what we conceive as a "functional cure" won't be realized.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline JazJon

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 03:56:30 am »
There are no fewer than three trials underway to distribute HIV meds once every six months via I.V. which will, for people who have an UD VL, provide a relief from any other medication. This much I know because I am part of that trial. If and when they decide I qualify and they proceed in the Atlanta area, I will keep you guys informed.

Thing is, cynics aside, there is no reason that, by 2020, what we conceive as a "functional cure" won't be realized.

I was wondering if they would finally have a clinical trial for the long lasting ART shot/I.V. treatment.  I remember hearing about it a long time ago and then nothing.    Is it for treatment naive (never been on meds) or for someone already UD on meds.   What's the link so I can check out the qualifications and read more about it? (both poz forum and the study itself)

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 07:53:14 am »
2020 isn't that far away, what 6 1/2 years give or take.   So I do not expect a panacea of change.  Change happens incrementally, sure sometimes you hit a breakthrough but most change happens in incremental steps.

We will probably have a few more single tablet options.  We may even have one (maybe two) options that require once a week or even once a month dosing.  Kinda like how old ladies take a Boniva pill once a month.

I don't expect a cure (but I'm a pessimist.  They will be closer sure.  But the FDA is going to make fucking damn sure that any new treatment is safe and effective before they allow a new wide scale treatment when there is already an effective treatment available...think about it.  And that could take many years to demonstrate with many clinical trials before any new type of treatment/cure attempt is approved).

The data supports Bug's line of thinking.  The best way to see what the future holds is to see where the money is being spent today. Based on the Treatment Action Group's Global Investments in HIV Treatment Research and Development in 2010 and 2011, the $2.5 billion/year of funding is spent as follows:

Drugs                                                51.8%
Basic Science                                     31.7%
Operational and Implementation Science  13.4%
Applied/Infrastructure/Unspecified          1.6%
Therapeutic Vaccines                           0.8%

I think in five years we will have much better drugs, a much better understanding of the basic science, and a realistic expected timeline towards a vaccine or cure.  I think we will also see a blurring of the definition between treatment drugs and a vaccine -- for example, would a once per year treatment (that worked as both treatment and PREP) be considered a vaccine?

Sadly, there is no funding for jet packs to get us to the pharmacy...

JM
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 08:23:18 am by Jmarksto »
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 10:02:57 am »
Funny how the future always seems to surprise us when it becomes the present. 
I mean where are all the flying cars we were promised we'd have by now???
Who would have predicted in 2006, that 20% of the states would have legal same-sex marriages by 2013???

My point -- predicting the future is best left to those with actual crystal balls. 
Hope is a great thing, so long as folks don't begin believing the hoped for timelines and outcomes.

Mike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.