Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:55:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 237
Total: 238

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 4 years ago  (Read 4195 times)

Offline whoknew

4 years ago
« on: January 19, 2011, 07:56:28 am »
Hello to all,

Im not really sure if this post belongs here but I remember when I was first diagnosed trawling the internet looking for stories of people who were ok so here it is.

I looked at the calendar today and it dawned on me that its aprox 4 years since I was diagnosed ! I say aprox because I know it was this week in this month but the exact day I have completly forgotten. Its all a bit of a blur :o I thought it was the end of the world. My husband looked like he was about to cave to PCP pneumonia and various other complications of an illness he had previously not known about. It was a shocking week we were both tested positive and I thought well thats it then.

how wrong I was, no its not easy  or fun but mostly it has become normal. I am still me. I have a virus it does not have me !! I get on with my day chasing around my children doing my college work , bettering myself and occasionally I think oh yes thats right I have HIV.  I dont feel ill my numbers are good and im on meds. I see a dr once every 3 months and mostly we dont have alot to talk about.

I am pregnant with my third child ( 2nd concieved after diagnosis) I feel happy and content in my life. My husband did not as  I first feared die in the hospital he is at this moment playing barbies with  our middle child and the peals of laughter coming from the living room are making me smiloe while I type.

It may sound like im trying to make this all sound like its a walk in the park or not important which is not the case at all . I worry all the time, I still panic when Im poorly... just incase and my meds make me feel like im stoned which is annoying ( and slightly funny sometimes)
 I get anxious and scared BUT the world did not end.

I am sending you all a hug to say, it will get better and whilst you feel like hell right now the good days will get more frequent. I am not HIV and HIV is not me. It is just something that lives along side me.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: 4 years ago
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 10:04:24 am »
Hi WhoKnew, thanks for posting this. I also remember when I was newly diagnosed (it will be ten years on February 22) and hungry for hopeful stories. Like you, I'm doing fine and no, my world didn't end either. Sure, it changed in many ways but in many good ways, not just bad.

So to all you newly diagnosed out there - yes, life does go on and yes, it does get better in time. Hang in there! You'll all be marking your tenth hiv anniversary before you know it. I can't believe it's been ten years for me already, I just don't know where the time has gone. And in March, I will have been a member here for ten years as well. OMG! :)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline auspoz

Re: 4 years ago
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 06:01:09 am »
Hiya.

Congratulations on living so well! And the kids! Gorgeous. :)

I too was diagnosed in that week, but 3 years ago. And you know what - I forgot my anniversary this year. LOL.

It's amazing when I look back at that first stage after my diagnosis. My world collapsed. I collapsed. It was all about dealing with fear and stigma, but I couldn't see that at the time. And I know we're all different, but I really think that now, I'm looking forward to my life. My goodness, there is sooooooo much more to me than HIV. At the time of diagnosis though, I couldn't see it.

Why do I share this? Well, I guess I hope that if only one person reads this and decides to get on with their life quicker than I did, it's a good thing.

In those first days I had two mantras that helped. The first to strike was "I choose me." I will not let the virus be me, nor the stigma or shame. And when I chose "ME", my world changed a bit.

The other mantra that helped was "I am still the same person, and I cannot change the past, I must step into my future, I am building my life." This sounds kinda sucky now, but at the time, it helped me and my family get through some rough times. I guess, once again, that I offer it to others in the hope it might help in some way.

Thank you for sharing your anniversary. For me, it's 3 years ago. But damn it, we're doing well. The best of health to you. :)

auspoz.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.