Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:01:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 676
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 666
Total: 667

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: need some reassurance  (Read 9099 times)

Offline sergie

need some reassurance
« on: October 23, 2007, 06:45:57 am »
Hi all,
            Read the welcome threads and read some other posts posted by others and mine would not be counted as an incident but just wanted a reassurance from experts

i went to this massage place where a lady rubbed herself all over me and she termed it as nude body to body massage where only bodies touch and massage each other and she rubbed oil all over her body and mine and minimum use of hands was  used for massage :)

i just wanted to learn some things and get my facts straightened out and summarizing what i learnt from reading lot of this website's  posts

1.Frottage is not risky right?because she was rubbing her ass on my penis i.e
i am uncircumcised so my foreskin was also moving up and down.sorry for being so crude and no penetration.she also had a cut on her leg and which after i saw the threads was no risk at all.

and this was the like a week ago and i had same massage with same lady like 8 weeks ago also

and just for sake of it had antibodies test at 5.5 weeks and 7.5 weeks and both came out negative .

2.this is for my info only.People say ARS symptoms generally come up in between 2-6 weeks so for suppose even if anyone is  affected(just for my info) they would have tested positive with those antibodies test right?and seroconversion would have started immediately right ie would have tested positive for antibodies?correct me if i am wrong just trying to get my facts straightened out.And also ARS symptoms don't persist more than 1-2 weeks right? correct me if i am wrong.

3.And all the symptoms if they are present come in between that time ie 2-6 weeks(if infected ) only right? they don't come like 2 symptoms at one time and rest of all after 7 weeks something like that .As you all said symptoms are not used to diagonise so that is why i am not discussing symptoms .

4.i am asking this bcoz i am developing some acne on my chest and trunk and neck with no fever so it is not hiv rash so i think this could be some other STI so am going for checking for other STI's as Ann always advices in 3 days.Thanks for great advice Ann .

5.I saw some people saying seroconverted at one date and after some days tested positive i didn't get that terminology i thought both of them were same and i am sure i am mistaken.

Just wanted to get some facts sorry if i bothered all with unneccesary questions.

Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: need some reassurance
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 08:29:28 am »
Absolutely nothing you did put you at risk for HIV transmission. Your acne and that other stuff you're asking about have nothing to do with HIV.

In fact, for future reference you need to keep in mind that neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status if you've had a risky incident. Which you didn't in this case. Only an HIV test at 13 weeks will give you a definitive answer.

If any of your symptoms persist then discuss them with your doctor. Frottage, massage, fingering, masturbation mutual or otherwise, the woman in question having a cut on her leg, etc. All non-risk.

Just keep your condoms handy and make sure you use one everytime you have intercourse and you'll be effectively "covered' as far as sexually transmitted HIV is concerned.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline sergie

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 03:48:52 pm »
Thanks andy for reassurance i feel much better

was wondering if i could just get an answer for 2,5 for info only, if it is ok to ask again otherwise u can ignore my post.

Thanks again

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 04:58:51 pm »
Primary HIV infection or acute infection occurs during the early stages after HIV has occured. The initial infection precedes seroconversion and is sometimes characterized by fever, sore throat, headache, skin rash and swollen glands. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days after infection takes place.

The date when someone tests positive is not relevant since someone could test soon after seroconversion or a long time later. You seem to be mixing some things together with this question. At least I'm not really clear what you're asking.

Once someone has seroconverted they will test positive. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to HIV virus.
Andy Velez

Offline sergie

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 05:10:32 pm »
Thanks again for answering my questions.I am sorry for not being clear.

I just saw some people saying they seroconverted at for example in june but tested positive in october .Is that scenario possible,that is what has really thrown me off .

Quote andy:The date when someone tests positive is not relevant since someone could test soon after seroconversion or a long time later

So how can someone know they have seroconverted and why would someone seroconvert now and test postive like months later ,i thought both of them were same.

And what do antibodies test detect .serconversion or positiveness?

Hope i am making sense

Thanks again
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:30:45 pm by sergie »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 12:18:35 am »
Sergie,

I agree with Andy. Your situation is, happily, not an HIV situation.

As for your question regarding antibodies; seroconversion is the process by which your body produces antibodies in response to HIV infection. A person who has HIV antibodies in their blood is said to be "HIV antibody positive." This is usually shortened to "HIV positive."

You will not have HIV antibodies in your blood because you have not been exposed to HIV, the virus which causes AIDS.

MtD

Offline sergie

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 12:55:25 am »
Thanks matty for clarifying the terminology jargaon .I am not worried about HIV after andy told me about it but let me say i am one of those nerds  :)  who thinks he understood everything he reads but i was confused with the teminology that's why i was just trying to clarify and this is not related to my situation at all i am convinced i am not infected but my obsession to know my facts right .i am sorry i have no right to waste all of your time to understand something i am confused about as ur helping lot of people in the forums with genuine concerns

so gv me a hard kick in my butt for asking some questions to get a clear understanding and i totally understand that
but it is still confusing is this part

Quoute me: I just saw some people saying they seroconverted at for example in june but tested positive in october .Is that scenario possible,that is what has really thrown me off .

answer:according to my understanding it means they have seroconverted in june but went and got tested in october and came to know that they are positive.ie.they were positive from june until october when they got tested but only realized it after getting tested

correct me if i am wrong

Quote andy:The date when someone tests positive is not relevant since someone could test soon after seroconversion or a long time later

answer:according to my understanding so what andy meant was what i explained in my previous answer right?
i am sorry to bother u again will not bother u if i amwasting ur time with my weird questions

thanks
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 01:21:14 am by sergie »

Offline sergie

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 12:05:03 am »
pls ignore my last post it was stupid

As i already mentioned in my previous posts and as andy and mtd said i had no risk but am tensed as i am having this weird symptoms i know symptoms don't mean anything but am so convinced that i am one of those unlucky souls who could have got it in this way .

after 17 days
1.had chest congestion due to reasthma attack and it generally occurs due to virus right?
2.had pains in knee joints ,elbows and some times in shoulders and back of neck where there are lymph nodes present right? from day 20
3.gone by day 31 but kind of occurs once in a while so they r in exact time frame and pain under armpit and near groin which could be lymph nodes right?
4.from day 29 i think white tongue coat and also white coating on top of mouth and looks prominent and also no problem in swallowing but sometimes pains on side of mouth and like weird pain on front part of top of mouth which i think is much more white  this has convinced me totally that i am infected.
5.bruises on hands and brown spots near groin and thigh region also on stomach.
6.my friends kept saying weight loss

please help me and i know u wuld be mad at me but took pcr dna at 28 days and no results even  after 1 week also which basically convinced me that i am infected

how can i be so unlucky to be infected even without any intercourse vaginal or anal or oral and i had no sti's also so i am so in gutters now!!

i read some other people's posts also who had issues with massage maybe they were lucky but no me as she had some bloody bruise or dunno if it healed and also she wasn't well health wise
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 12:18:14 am by sergie »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 08:24:17 am »
Have you been to a doctor to discuss your symptoms?

This is NOT an HIV situation. Period. End of story.
Andy Velez

Offline sergie

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 05:59:54 am »
Hi andy n all
thanks for the replies  i am going to doc tom but one last one not symptoms related
but was wondering if there was herpes outbreak and as in my case there was just body to body contact so was it a risk for hiv or if she transmitted genital herpes thru body to body contact  will it also carry hiv virus

this is really last one won't bother anymore
thanks
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 06:21:05 am by sergie »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 08:40:20 am »
No, HIV would not be transmitted through a herpes attack. However, during a herpes attack, with the immune system down because of it, there is a greater vulnerability to HIV transmission during UNPROTECTED intercourse.

But unprotected intercourse was not an issue in your incident.

Andy Velez

Offline sergie

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 11:03:08 am »
hi andy
            thanks for reply and i got back the results for pcr dna at 4 weeks and non reactive and negative antibodies test just as you said so and there was no intercourse at all
and the doc was also stumped he said that he is not able to find anything and gave me some zinc supplement tablets .

as u said no symptoms  but i am having pain on the cheeks and painful teeth but i am able to swallow and eat fine but the tongue kind of burns after eating i hope it is not candida

i swear i didnt leave anything else i was being over cautious but didn't miss a single detail and i never had intercourse(protected or unprotected).

but am worried after wat doc said pls some help

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 12:41:44 pm »
We've done what we can do for you. If you continue to have symptoms that is something for you to sort out with your doctor. This is not an HIV situation no matter what your head maybe saying to you otherwise. And we cannot diagnose symptoms for you.

Andy Velez

Offline sergie

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 07:16:00 am »
Andy and all,

just wanted to let you know that having sex is not so easy as i tried it with my fiancee and it involved lot of stress from me for vaginal itself i can imagine how tough it would be for anal so i am reassuring myself that there was no accidental insertion also with the massagist (which i already knew but this really confirmed it).

Thanks andy and am really done being a dawg as i am with my fiancee.

and as u assured that hiv can't be passed by any other way other than unprotected anal or vaginal and not as an attachment with other sti's involving skin and blood.

This really helped me a lot

Thanks again  this is just an info not a question
1.ann always quotes that pcr dna is not for diagnostic tests but pcr rna is .is it bcoz of false positives or something else i  mean it can't give false negatives right?i am just sort of trying to clarify i am not doubting what you or ann said as i respect both ur people more than my docs which u may think is not right but you really helped me calm my fears and made me understood that straying like a dawg is not for weak hearted people like me for whom lot of symtoms start showing up.

2. i was reading somewhere  that oral problems generally don't occur during initial stages of exposure only at later stages ie after many years after severe compromise of immune system did i read about it right?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 07:30:35 am by sergie »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 07:44:13 am »
sergie,

You are correct about the PCR tests - the DNA ones have a very high rate of false positives. A false negative would only occur if the PCR test was preformed too soon after the incident. The RNA tests are more reliable, but they should only be used when there has been a very high risk of infection - for example, in the case of unprotected RECEPTIVE anal or vaginal intercourse with a person KNOWN to have hiv.

MOST problems associated with hiv do not occur until the person has been infected for a while. This includes oral problems.

You didn't have a risk when you got that massage and you've tested negative twice since the incident. You ARE hiv negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline sergie

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 08:44:22 pm »
i went and had an ultrascan as advised by local doc i am away on a tour from u.s. and found nothing and took a chest x ray found nothing but still have some pain in chest and under the chest in rib cage area

i am just venting my feelings as i am alone here and will be going back in a week and after all the assurances which i don't doubt at all my mind is still playing games and my body is in worst shape possible in my whole life though not outwardly but inwardly some sores coming up in weird places like inner thighs,back and going after 5 days feel so much weird though never had any intercourse dunno why i am feeling so weird

sorry just wanted to vent my feelings really lonely though i tried everything other than internet it really is not having effect , nothing more than that thanx for all the help by all the angels out here.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 09:10:25 pm »
Sores, shmores.

Stay off of the internet for anything other than communicating and enjoying yourself, not for looking for things to bother yourself further with. Get involved with looking around at the world and keeping busy. You'll find yourself in a much happier state if you do that.

You don't have a problem with HIV. You have a problem about HIV. Do yourself a big favor and don't indulge in feeding your fears. Right now I urge you to make a list of 6 things you're grateful for in your life. You'll be amazed at how curative doing that can be when you are otherwise making yourself nutz. Do it!

Cheers, 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 09:12:39 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline sergie

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 07:04:19 pm »
Hi Andy,
            Thanks for the tip it really made me feel well for almost 2 weeks and well i just wanted to let u know that i took an antibodies test on 60 days via an online agency advancedtestingcenter.com in states which asked me to go to labcorp for drawing blood after i came back here.and i got my results back as non-reactive as u said so .This has got nothing to do with me not trusting u but  when i wake up and see my wife i feel guilt raked. well i decided after that my so -called "risk" around 9 weeks ago i am calling it quits  no more straying around and thanks for the support as i was more worried about getting hiv indirectly rather than vaginal or anal as i didn't do both of them. well all other symptoms are still persisting and my doc is on vacation so will be meeting him after new year's only.

Thanks again and will we know if we do a vaginal intercourse accidentally also right(ie it would be obvious on penis right even with massagist)?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 07:06:35 pm by sergie »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 08:21:38 pm »
Speaking just from personal experience I would say yes, you would definitely know the difference between being masturbated and/or frottage and other such activities and the act of actually penetrating a vagina (or an anus). They are way different experiences.

Andy Velez

Offline sergie

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 12:49:06 am »
Hi andy and all,
                       I know you would forbid me but took 12.5 week home access test and it came back negative as u said it and i had all these weird symptoms in my body and  even though it is a first generation test it should have caught it if it is hiv right?and also took a hiv 1/2 antibody test thru advancedtestingcenter.com at 14 weeks and it came back negative.I have learnt one big lesson that i am not type of guy who can go straying and be kind of tense free so i swear i am not going any more straying anymore it is not for tense ridden a**oles like me.

Thanks all again.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 08:13:19 am »
We would "forbid you"!!! WOW! You are certainly giving us a lot of unsought punitive power there. Reads to me more like a highly critical attitude of yourself being projected on to us. That's for you to sort out. We just evaluate situations and give responses to them. 

Obviously it's good if not unsurprising news that you're HIV negative. Right now you may think you will never do certain things again. But we're all human so just make sure that if you're with anyone again in a like manner that if you have intercourse you always without exception wear a latex condom. No exceptions.

Now, be glad about your test results and get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline sergie

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 10:08:44 pm »
hi andy
            thanks for the reply i might have gone overboard with my forbid word.sorry i just got the wrong word i meant unadvisable .well i respect you guys so much so sorry if my words came out in wrong way.

I have one final kind of knowledge related stuff
"as u said it and i had all these weird symptoms in my body and  even though it is a first generation test it should have caught it if it is hiv right?"

thanks again and sorry

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2008, 05:23:41 am »
Sergie,

It doesn't matter what generation, as long as the test is done three months or more after a risky incident. You never had a risk in the first place. You ARE hiv negative.

If you've read the Welcome Thread like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.