Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:48:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 620
Total: 621

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Two weeks in and doing GREAT  (Read 3801 times)

Offline carpediem98

Two weeks in and doing GREAT
« on: June 06, 2009, 02:49:35 pm »
So, on paper, I started treatment "early" two weeks ago when I started my Truvada+Isentress combo.  My CD4's had fallen off a cliff, my VL had remained steady and low, and (per the ongoing thread re: CD4%), my % had slipped from a stable 22% to 20% then down to 16% even though they were still at around 450 and in the most recent test had gone back up above 500.  But I knew it was time - and I made the choice to start, and it was the BEST choice I could have made.

I feel better than I have felt in well over a year - probably since the period of acute infection last spring.  The leaden feeling in my limbs is gone, I'm so much less irritable, the succession of low-grade "nuisance" illnesses like colds, strep, skin infections, etc. seems to have halted.  I've traveled and been able to stay up and active... now all I have to do is get back in good physical shape (having put on about 30 lbs over the past year while not feeling well) - and find a hot, rich husband.  ;)

I will continue to preach the virtues of Truvada+Isentress.  I've had no side effects to speak of, aside from a little bit of nausea the first two days (15 minutes or so), and a couple of so-mild-they-might-have-been-from-caffeine headaches.  Adherence hasn't been an issue at all (though I slept in today and woke up having missed my appointed time, so I took it an hour late today, which is the first time I've been more than ten minutes off).

Does anyone else have a comparable experience?  I'm so glad that this is what I can report.

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
Re: Two weeks in and doing GREAT
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 03:55:09 pm »
Hey, I'm tracking on my own thread on a PI combo, Reyataz, Truvada, Norvir...

After two weeks as well, and seemingly feeling much better, doing better, getting back with it!

Now PI have a rep for being a bit better Immunologically. And Atripla a bit better Viralogically.

We both share Truvada as a component, and Truvada is a component of Atripla.

What is the reputation of Isentress that you are aware of?

Why did you choose Isentress?

Thanks for sharing.
risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline positivmat

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 08:23:51 pm »
The one nice thing about this virus for me is that it seems to eat my fat. I now eat whatever I want and I have 42 year old abs of steel. I started atripla 3 months ago. V/L plummeted from 800,000 to 2,994 and cd4 rose from 325 to 544. I feel great and my metabolism has slowly slowed down again. But still abs of steel and no work. After my ARS, I quit lifting weights and haven't started again. Thinking I will just enjoy my new slimmer life.

Offline carpediem98

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 04:03:16 pm »
Hi there, Risred and positivmat!

To positivmat - I'll tell you what you can do with your abs of steel with no work, lol.  ;)  I have to work very hard - one of the things that sucked for me was that I couldn't work out because I was sick all the time, and my waistline kept growing and growing and growing.  I feel SO much better now and look forward to giving your abs a run for their money.  (Shall we announce the PozAbs Challenge of 2009?) 

Risred - The reason I chose Isentress is that it allows more flexibility in choosing when during the day to take it.  It doesn't HAVE to be taken at bedtime, and it doesn't HAVE to be taken on an empty stomach.  It's still considered "twice a day," pending a couple studies that are likely to show it can be taken once a day.  I also have an aversion to the PI's because of their rotten side effects... Reyataz seems to be better, but the Norvir component still makes me run screaming - the inconvenience of it and the possible side effects send up red flags for me from an adherence point of view. 

Similarly, Atripla has requirements that don't really fit well into my life - it has to be taken at bedtime, because of the neurological/cognitive side effects... and it has to be taken on an empty stomach.  For someone who works a normal 9-to-5, this might be great.  For me, I often work late into the night and can't have the side effects ruining my work. 

Isentress has none of those requirements... obviously, used as a twice-a-day medicine, one dose has to be at night, but because it doesn't cause sleepiness or other side effects that doesn't interfere with my functioning. 

It is shown in studies to work much more quickly than earlier regimens, and most people achieve an undetectable viral load in record time.  I don't know yet if I'm undetectable, but I'll know soon, since they took the blood to find out!  It's basically shown itself to be about as good as Sustiva, with fewer side effects.  In fact, in the studies thus far, it performs slightly BETTER.

It took me a full day of filling in a pro-and-con spreadsheet to figure out what my final decision would be - and I know 100% that I made the right choice for me.

What went into your decision to take your combo?

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 12:01:32 am »
I always liked the immunilogical boost that PI's seem to have.

The durability of PI's is well documented.

Taking in the morning with breakfast is best for me, because I am frequently a night owl and out of town, I'd be vulnerable to missing doses at night.

The norvir boost is only 100 mg, which is considered a small dose. So after I incorrectly went unboosted Reyataz Truvada, I added norvir to it, because, reyatz/truvada was minimal in its effects.

If I really wanted unboosted, I would have gong Reyataz Epzicom. But the allure of Truvada prooved to strong. I'm hearing great things about Reyataz/Truvada with Norvir, so that's where I ended up and I'm also pretty happy. Once a day seem not enough, because I take supps 2/3 times a day. But I really like one and done and not worrying at night.

Sounds like we both are getting what we were looking for!

;0)
risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline tag_man08

• Keep Dreaming!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 03:11:02 am »
Great news.....I felt like a new person as well after two weeks on Isentress/Truvada.  I'm very happy for you.
08/30/07:  The HIV diagnosis...
09/07/07:  CD4 299 (21%)  VL 160K
01/07/08:  CD4 396 (26%)  VL 125K
04/21/08:  CD4 478 (25%)  VL 92K
09/03/08:  CD4 313 (23%)  VL 10K
11/03/08:  CD4 338 (23%)  VL 30K
11/21/08:  Isentress & Truvada
12/05/08:  CD4 485 (29%)  VL  undetectable in two weeks
03/13/09:  CD4 575 (30%)  VL  undetectable

Offline positivmat

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 06:58:04 am »
You are on carpediem!  Maybe we could do a calendar?  Pozabs!  Seriously, I am looking to tone down the bacon and saturated fats for my heart now. I have really been going hog-wild.
Matt

Offline veritas

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 08:00:26 am »

carpe.

I think your decision was a good one and I'll bet you will be happy with the results.

BRAVO!

v

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 02:27:33 pm »
I'm starting Isentress/Truvada soon. I got the Rx last week and I am stalling so I have not yet actually filled it, but I will, I know it's for the best.

carpediem: thanks for the inspiration, it helps as far as getting off my butt and filling the Rx. How long after starting meds are you scheduled to have blood drawn? My doctor wanted me to come back in two weeks, which I think is kind of silly and too soon.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.