Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:07:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 623
Total: 623

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Start a poz social group in your city! (Gay men)  (Read 8235 times)

Offline StrengthInNumbers

Start a poz social group in your city! (Gay men)
« on: December 10, 2008, 07:47:28 pm »
Learn more at www.strengthinnumbers.org

This is the 6th year that SIN has celebrated the Holidays. And this year it seems particularly cold and unfortunately troubling in much of our nation as we collectively face uncertain times. But as I have found out time and time again since I launched Strength In Numbers in the Hollywood Hills at that small potluck party, some of the most amazing support I've ever found in my life came from the other poz guys that I've met on our network. You joined your local SIN chapter because you wanted to get connected to other gay men living with HIV/AIDS, whether for companionship, friendship or just to get some information from time to time.

We are all bound by some very profound common threads. Now in turbulent times, we can find out how strong those connections can be. As we are a grassroots organization, many times we start a SIN chapter when a poz guy reaches out to us and ask us for help in getting a poz social group started in his area. Usually we set some expectations from that original member to serve as a manager for their new group in their city, to promote that group and organize some initial social events. Sometimes this has worked out brilliantly and the chapter has grown organically and become very active. Other times it's proven too difficult for the manager to get the word out about the group, or that manager becomes busy with their own activities and doesn't continue to focus on the chapter as necessary.

Now, at this time though, I'd like to challenge every guy who has signed up to a SIN chapter to take a moment to help their group become more active, or to start volunteering now and then to help their chapter management. Strength In Numbers is run solely by volunteers, we fund all of our own events, and we manage ourselves, poz guy helping poz guy. So if you ever feel frustrated that you haven't been able to meet other quality HIV+ gay men in your city, or you have felt isolated by your HIV status, or just wanted some new friends and to go to some healthy life-affirming events, then now is the time to take a chance and post a message. Get to know other guys in your group.

CHALLENGE: I make a challenge to all of you guys on SIN to either attend any holidays events already planned for your local SIN chapter (like San Francisco or New York City for their annual holiday parties), or to suggest to your group a holiday outing in your local city. Plan a group trip to a movie matinee or to meet at a local gay restaurant. Just one group event could get the ball rolling for 2009! And if you need any help or have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me or David (david@sinnyc. org) about ideas.

We're working hard within SIN to improve our outreach and practices so that more guys can find out about us and join our chapters, and that guys can plan events easier and with more confidence. So please help spread some much needed holiday cheer!

Happy Holidays!

Love,
Bryan Levinson
Founder, Strength In Numbers

Offline Jody

Re: Start a poz social group in your city! (Gay men)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 09:46:26 pm »
Hi Bryan...How nice to hear from you...We met briefly on the POZ Caribbean cruise this past October and were at one of the same conferences on the ship as well as the bus that toured up and down the hills of St. Thomas going to that restaurant we never did make it to (but the trip was cool).

I will be at the SIN party this coming Saturday on Bank Street in Manhattan.  I try to get to as many SIN get togethers and was at the recent dance at Stonewall's.  I have met many nice guys and we have done Broadway and off-Broadway shows, movies, bars, apartment parties, etc. so it has been cool even if I am a bit of a home body.

Nice to see you post here at this fine website though and hopefully we will meet again.

Jody  :)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 02:28:56 am »
You know... i think SIN is a great idea.  BUT:

1) The groups are set where you have to login to Yahoo to reply.  This kills it in Houston.  Other groups allow reply to email.  I've made this suggestion before.
2) About the only posts I do receive are sales pitches for cruises, retreats, etc.  It makes me question the neutrality and purpose.
3) Houston has pretty much NO participation in SIN.  Yet our Poz Social group gets 40 to 50 guys a month to show up.

I'm not attacking you.  Quite conversely.  I'm making a counter-challenge.  Make the changes needed to allow for more participation in SIN.  It's a few button clicks on Yahoo Group Admin to make this happen.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline texasangel071184

• me and toedoe
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 01:11:11 pm »
Are there any groups in allentown, pa? :o
I live, I breath, I defie, I succeed!
who are you to tell me i can't, I can and I will!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.