Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:28:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 337
Total: 338

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anger  (Read 11609 times)

Offline chrism1973

Anger
« on: August 09, 2007, 04:22:57 pm »
I am dealing with this with my therapist but thought I would ask you guys.Is it normal for me to be angry that I am on meds and the guy that infected me isn't.There are other things I am angry about having this in my body.Allowing myself to get infected.Being naive enough to trust someone who obvisously didn't have enough respect for me to keep the condom on.His #'s are almost as good as mine and he has never had to take meds.I went on meds 3 months after becoming poz.I even tried a med break last summer but that only lasted 6 weeks.Just pisses me off.Sorry for the rant.
                                                                                                                 Chris
Love yourself,love life and live.

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
Re: Anger
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 05:01:35 pm »
I think it is very normal to feel anger.  It is part of the "healing".  The key is not to hold on to this anger and truly be able to let go of the anger if this is holding you back.   We all go through this, there is shock, sadness, anger all in one.  From my point of view, it is better to let go of the anger so you can move on with your life.  Of course, we all need time to work it all out and the process is different for everyone.
I wish you the best with your therapy.

Rich
(who learned how to let go)
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 07:24:19 pm »
If you really want to hear about anger PM me. Chris
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 02:21:51 am »
I can understand your anger. I have experienced this too. For me it helps to channel it into something productive whatever that may be for you. I think in time it will go away and not be as strong. I hope you feel better soon

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 01:13:05 pm »
I am dealing with this with my therapist but thought I would ask you guys.Is it normal for me to be angry that I am on meds and the guy that infected me isn't.

What was your therapist's answer? I'm no pro but I think anger is probably normal. If you said eyeball-rolling ain't-that-a-kick-in-the-head where's-the-karma envy, then yeah, that's definitely normal! Wishing you well, AH
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 01:14:53 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline chrism1973

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 02:13:22 pm »
The therapist and I are just now broaching the subject.I thought I had forgiven the man that infected me but the feelings of anger overpower me at times towards him.I am not letting it control my life just sometimes it interfears with it.Unfortunately he is still a part of my life we have allot of the same friends so I see him quite often and in a small town its hard to get a new circle of friends that will accept you being poz.For ex. I came home from my b/f's this morning and he was sleepuing on my couch.My roomate had invited him to stay overnight.Glad i wasn't home last night.I can't telll my roomate who to have here and not to.It's his apt.I am working on gettting my own place should know in a week.:)
                                                                                                                                   Chris
Love yourself,love life and live.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 09:01:00 am »
Chris, as far as I am concerned the term "normal" doesn't apply here. The point is you  have whatever feelings you have. In this instance anger is coming up. Some of the details you've mentioned like mutual friends, being in a small town and coming home to find him sleeping in your living room -- well, having yoru lives intertwined tha way continues to stir a still-fresh pot.

After all, from what I can gather it's not like we're talking about something from the dim past. It's still relatively recent. Taking all of that into consideration it's not surprising that you have lots of feeling and some of it pretty intense. Be with the feeling and don't misconstrue that you have to go into some kind of action about it. Feelings -- they come and go, and like I said can be pretty intense at times.

As your life continues to evolve and grow in new ways some of this will diminish. Respect your feelings without clinging to them. That requires some effort on your part. Effort which focuses on the here and the now rather than the "back then."

Without getting too new agey here, I'll mention something that some find useful -- if you're a guy who prays, pray for your ex to be well and successful and all that good stuff. Now don't expect me to be able to say exactly why, but somehow doing this sometimes seems to have the effect of lifting corossive resentments. You have to do it genuinely, however difficult at first. See if that helps.

And finally Chris, respect your feelings and give yourself time with moving on.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 09:02:43 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline koksi

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 06:55:41 pm »
I know who infected me but it was a random hook up.  I do not feel particularly angry towards him.  I am not sure what I feel exactly about him and about that encounter, beyond regret that it ever happened of course. 

However, I do want to say that I have misgivings about the idea that we should 'move on' from these feelings about what happened, about getting infected.  On the one hand, this is surely good psychological advice.  I don't want to dwell in anger and regret and blame and hatefulness.  On the other hand, these emotions shape what the experience means for us in the present, and so I don't think our anger at the person who infected us can exactly be wished away.  To me that anger taps into a sense of injustice.  Above all it reminds me that in fact I did not infect myself. 

seroconversion in March of 2006
positive test May 2006

10/2013: Undetectable, CD4 1000
2009:  Began Atripla

10/2007:  VL 2,300 // no CD4 numbers! :-(
09/2007:  Begin Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
08/2007:  VL 824,000 // CD4 344 // 21%
06/2007:  VL 326,000 // CD4 351 // 17%
04/2007:  VL 410,000 // CD4 242 // 26%
06/2006:  VL 444,893 // CD4 479 // 21%
05/2006:  VL >500K    // CD4 402 // 17%

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 10:18:34 am »
Chris, when I say "move on," I am not suggesting that you should "get over it" in the jargon way that is often used. There are some experiences and events which never quite lose their depth of meaning for us. I'm thinking for instance of the loss of someone very special or the ending of a relationship that was particularly painful.

Sometimes the term "get over it" is used in such circumstances, or even more infuriatingly there's "lighten up." From my point of view both are disrespectful of our experiences. Without going into details I can think of something I don't know that I will ever forgive the other person involved about. It's beyond my ability to forgive or at least it has been until now, But for MY own sake and in order to get on in my life I have uhmm -- put it away, so to speak. It can't be undone, it can't be re-done. So I leave it "there" and continue on with my life.

Perhaps the support you get here will help to bring you greater peace in your life. I see that as a part of what we do for each other here.

Cheers, 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 10:23:39 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Paulette

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 12:08:09 pm »
I can so relate to this as well; my ex- who infected me hasn't even shown symptoms of hiv and I've been on meds for almost three years .
1. combivir/viracept :P
2.atripla- i had an allergic reaction to this one :(
3. norvir,truvada, reyataz :)
and every time i have to take those little pills  i get angry and that's normal
good luck
Paulette
I have HIV; it doesn't me;)

Offline Peter6836

• Me and my Granddaughter Noa
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 11:17:49 am »
I can totally understand the anger. There are times I have to just let myself feel it. The problem with the anger is that many times we feel bad for having it. This starts a whole ball rolling. Angry at someone else for the negative effects they have on our life. Angry for letting ourselves get in the situation. Angry for feeling angry. I understand. What to do about it. Baby steps I suppose. I agree with Andy pray. I wish I had a good answer. All I can say is that I understand.
Peter

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.