Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:26:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 357
Total: 358

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Is that a reliable test ??!!!!  (Read 14978 times)

Offline little_girl

Is that a reliable test ??!!!!
« on: December 30, 2006, 09:10:07 am »
Hi i'm 18. Yesterday I had oral sex with a 16 year old guy whose status is uknown to me.

Oral sex isn't the problem, the real problem is that I swallowed his semen. Will I get the virus
if the guy is positive?? was it a risky encounter?? Please tell me the truth cuz i'm scared and anxious.. I keep thinking
about the encounter especially that I rarely and I mean rarely do I get involved in any sexual relationships.. 

Bye

Offline RapidRod

Re: Is that a risk ?? I'm panicked, I really am..
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 09:16:30 am »
Please take the time to read the "Welcome" thread and follow the links to lessons.

Offline little_girl

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 09:28:00 am »
well, I can't see a specific answer for my question in the lesson...

Thank you

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 09:33:18 am »
There are differing opinions about the risk related to oral sex. There have been a very, very cases reported of transmission in this manner, but even those are questionable. Giving oral in which ejaculation takes place is considered a slightly higher risk, but still low risk overall.

Over an extended period sero-dystonic couples have been studied. They had only protected intercourse and a lot of unprotected oral. The results have been consistent that none of the HIV negative partners became infected. This is much more reliable information about the low risk of giving oral.

However, it's something you have to decide about what you are comfortable doing. If you're not certain then use a condom when giving a guy oral. You're entitled to make the decisions which you prefer and feel comfortable with. And remember, if you're having intercourse, no matter what you may think you know about the guy's history, always, ALWAYS make sure he's wearing a condom. No exceptions.

I don't see that you need to be concerned about this incident nor is there any need for testing. If you become sexually active, then it is a good idea to regularly have a full STD panel done -- at least annually and every six months is even better.
Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline little_girl

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 09:56:29 am »
Thank you for your answer Andy. However, you didn't point out if swallowing the semen is part of the answer you gave.

Offline njay

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 10:03:53 am »
well he did, he said it maybe is a higher risk but the risk still remains low.

blow jobs have never been profen to give hiv

Offline little_girl

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 04:15:34 pm »
I was too anxious that I didn't notice that..

Anyways, it's really good to know that I don't need to test cuz it was a very low risk.

I thought that I was at risk cuz I swallowed the guy's semen. Now, I know it's not a risk and I don't need to be tested..
I will stick to oral sex cuz it's safe compared to other activities..

thanks.. Bye

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 04:36:14 pm »
Condoms provide very effective protection against HIV transmission. You can have as much sex as you like with whomever you like as long as your partner is always wearing a latex condom. They do the job.
Andy Velez

Offline little_girl

Is that a reliable test ??!!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 01:10:01 pm »
Hi ...

I had a low-risk encounter a few weeks ago. I asked a question here and I was told that I didn't even need to get tested. However, I knew that I would be negative but I just wanted to make sure everything was ok. Andy was right, there was nothing to worry about. The test cam back negative. What really bothers me is that Andy usually says that an Elisa test should be done. When I asked this man about the name of the test, he said that it was something like " a solid phase antibody test". I think that's what he said.

I'm not asking because i'm worried about my last low-risk encounter but because I wanna know if I should take that test again if need be.

Thank you..

Offline RapidRod

Re: Is that a reliable test ??!!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 01:25:36 pm »
Please put your question in your orginal thread.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 03:46:45 pm »
girl,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

You will have been given an ELISA. You may hear it called other things, like a rapid test or an antibody test. It's the standard test used in slightly different forms and clinics only use approved, reliable tests, although the style may vary.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline little_girl

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 01:06:21 pm »
Thanks Ann..

Just to let you know, I called the lab and he assured me that the test was done with the automated  abbott axsym system. He said it's considered to be Elisa..

I'm really confused though that I've never heard of this axsym thing. Have you heard of it ?? I guess you haven't.

Thanks anyways..

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 01:42:39 pm »
It's a machine. that analyzes your test.

Offline little_girl

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 06:41:37 am »
Hi..

Thanks for posting that picture. You said it's an analyzer, ok!! The question is how can I know if I was given an Elisa?.
In the future I may need to do similar tests. I just wanna know if i was given a reliable test.

If you think that my questions are silly or something then please delete this thread...

Thank you.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 06:45:04 am »
You were given a reliable test.

Offline little_girl

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 07:04:43 am »

YAY.. Thank you..

Just want to let you know that I asked all those questions because I thought that only hiv testing centers could give reliabe tests cuz they have the necessary modern equipment. Well, I found out that any antibody test at any clinic can give me a reliable result, just like the one I've done recently.

Ok. I'm done now. HOPEFULLY

Offline little_girl

Re: That's really confusing and can make people anxious ??!!!!
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 01:53:52 pm »
Hi again,

I have to quick questions!!

* What is the window period for the Abbott MEIA antibody test??

** When I was at the lab that I tested in, I read this Abbott note: I worte it down because I don't want you to say that I misinterpreted it or something. Here it is : "It is recognized that presently available methods for the detection of antibodies to HIV-1 and/or HIV-2 may not detect all infected individuals. A negative test result does not exclue the possibility of exposure to or infection with HIV-1 and/or HIV2."

That's really confusing!! Does this mean that people might test negative when they are positive ??!!!

Thank you..

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 02:31:46 pm »
girl,

It's a blanket disclaimer. All it means is that if you are not testing at the end of the three month window period, your negative result doesn't necessarily mean you are negative.

If you've had a negative result three months or more past your last risky incident, then you ARE hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline little_girl

Re: A new partner??!!!!
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 05:17:19 pm »
Hi there,

I just wanna say that I have a new partner now who I wanna have sex with.
However, he told me that he is bisexual. He told me about his history and we discussed any risky behaviour he might have done, especially that he used to have anal sex with his male partners.
Also, we talked about our relationship as well as sex...etc.

There are 3 things that I wanna know before I do anything..

1- He told me that he also swallowed the semen of one of his male parners. I asked a similar question and was told by Andy Velez  that there's no need to test as long as I'm not sexually active. So I shouldn't worry about this.

2- The second thing is he told me that the last time he had sex with a male partner whose HIV status is unknow to him, he found out later that the Durex condom he used was expired, but he assured me that it didn't break and all of the semen was collected in the Condom. Does he need to get tested for HIV because of the expiry date ??

3- My last question is most of the sites that talk about condoms say that you have to withdraw the condom while the penis is erect. Is there any connection between HIV and the lateness of withdrawing it...

I hope you give me detailed answers. I LOVE to know.
This is gonna be my first sexual intercourse. I wanna be sure that all is safe..

Thank you...

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 05:42:47 pm »
Test before you have any kind of unprotected sex and always use condoms.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 05:44:52 pm »
You both need to test TOGETHER and see each other's results before you have unprotected sex.  Do NOT take anyones word for it.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline little_girl

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 06:42:50 pm »
Even though you haven't answered ANY of my questions, but I have nothing to say but THANKS.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 07:43:17 pm »
The answer to all your questions are no.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 08:43:32 pm »
girl,

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline little_girl

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2007, 03:32:32 pm »

Thank you so much Ann for your great answer. I opened all those links and they were really helpful..

Anyways, I have one last question. I know that I've been asking a lot of questions lately, but I just like to know things. It's better to know that to be shy to ask.

Ok I wanna know if there's any difference between having anal sex with a male and a female in terms of the risk of HIV?

Let's suppose that a man had anal sex with a 19 year old male and a 19 year old female, will the risks be the same for both the top and bottom ???

I know that this question might be stupid but I was just wondering.

Thank you..

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2007, 03:37:41 pm »
The risks are the same for both genders.  However. 

There is a difference in risk for the RECEPTIVE partner because the fluids remain in that person.  Understand?  The person on top is only briefly exposed while the person on the bottom has the fluids inside thier bodies for an extended amount of time.

Hope that helps.
RIDE!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2007, 03:41:47 pm »
girl,

The receptive partner, whether anal or vaginal, is always at higher risk then the insertive partner. This is because there is a larger surface area with the type of cells hiv needs to infect in either the anus or vagina. The insertive partner generally becomes infected through infected fluids getting down inside the urethra, which is MUCH smaller.

Anal intercourse is at the top of the risk list whether you're a male or female. This is because the walls of the anus are much thinner than the vagina and therefore more prone to damage.

Make sure your fella is using a condom before you allow him to penetrate you anally or vaginally and you won't have to worry. Make sure he's using the condom correctly and make sure there is plenty of lube. This can be your own for vaginal, but you MUST use water-based lube for anal, otherwise you risk the condom being broken. You will need water-based lube for vaginal if you don't produce enough on your own. Some women experience this problem regularly and it often seems to be tied to where you are in your menstrual cycle.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline little_girl

A question about my gay friend
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2007, 12:27:00 pm »

I had to open a new thread cuz this question has nothing to do with my previous questions about myself.

Anyways, one of my good & close friends is gay. He talks to me about him and his partner all the time.

Both of them are 18 by the way. They have been together for 4 moths now. He told me that they don't use protection because they tested negative for STDs and HIV and because they are in a monagomous relationship. In addition, my best friend's partner has never been in any sexual experiences before because he isn't attracted to females. My question is:

Is it possible for two men to be in a monogamous relationship without worrying about sexually transmitted diseases?

I'm just worried for him. I need to know.

Thanks.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: A question about my gay friend
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2007, 12:31:24 pm »
Of course it is.  But it requires an extreme amount of trust in one another and care for one another's health and well-being.

The same holds true for any relationship in this manner. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2007, 03:48:03 pm »
Hi,

Even though you have different questions we'd still rather you keep them all in your original thread. I've merged the threads here.

As far as your friend is concerned the issue about not using condoms for intercourse is whether both partners have tested negative together and are then in a securely monogamous and committed relationship. That's essential and should be thoroughly discussed before giving up condoms.

Your concern about your friend is understandable. You might suggest to him to make sure he and his friend are really clear about the issue. If there's any doubt then condoms should be used for intercourse. Even well meaning partners may stray sometimes, so there's no sin in using condoms until both partners are certain. There are too many stories about both straight and gay partners who trusted, only to find out their partners had been going out on them.

And yes, even though we guys are dogs, we are also capable of being monogamous sometimes. In my experience, I've observed that it does require being able to talk honestly and openly with each other.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline little_girl

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2007, 04:17:27 pm »

Thank you so much for your answers. Thank you Andy.

I will just print what you guys said and show it to my friend. He must read this..

~girl

Offline little_girl

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2007, 04:36:23 pm »
Hi again,

Ok. I'm now in a secure monogamous relationship with an amazing guy. He was the first guy I had sex with.

I wanna know if it's risky to swallow his semen??!!! I did it once.

Also, I'm a bit skinny so I wanna know if swallowing the semen can make me gain some weight, or hopefully make me fatter.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2007, 04:41:50 pm »
You should test for all STD's together.  And then decide if you want to swallow his semen or not. 

As for it making you FATTER.... I suggest you do some research regarding all aspects of sex.  It will not make you fatter.

Andrew
(who cant believe I answered that one!)
RIDE!!!

Offline little_girl

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2007, 05:26:51 pm »
We are STDs free. Andy told me about this before so I had it in mind.

Now what?

Some peope say it makes us gain some wight and some don't. I don't know who to believe.

Hopefully Andy or somebody else who has good knowledge about this would answer.

~girl

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2007, 05:30:03 pm »
You were already given a reliable answers. If you want to gain wait, eat Oreos and drink a glass of milk cause you sure aren't going to get fat slurping cum.

Offline little_girl

Many medications and the accuracy of test + Obsessions
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2007, 12:23:16 pm »

Someone told me before on this forum that I have to find my old topic and post in it. I'm so sorry cuz I searched but didn't find it so i had to open a new thread.

Ok. The 3 months have alread passed now. I'm ready to get tested cuz my last possibe exposure to HIV was 90 days ago. But I have 2 questions:

1- I'm on many meds right now. Anafranil and atenolo for OCD/Panic Attacks and Minocycline for acne. Can these meds mess up the test and produce false-nagtive or false-positive results?

2- Whenever I think about getting tested, I start to imagine that my test result won't be "true" becuae it might be done in a wrong way or the result isn't mine by mistake or the test isn't gonna be done for some reason ...etc.. Is this normal?? Do I need to test more than once to be sure?? Or am I obsessed ?? 
Are there others who think the same way ?

Please help..

Thank you...

Offline RapidRod

Re: Many medications and the accuracy of test + Obsessions
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2007, 12:26:03 pm »
Please follow the posting guidelines and post all your questions and concerns in your orginal thread.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2007, 07:15:22 pm »
I've merged your threads. Please keep all of your entries in this thread.

Those medications will not affect the accuracy of your HIV test.

Stop with this self-torture. Get yourself test and collect what I expect will be a negative result. Life is short and not meant to be spent in the kind of handwriging anxiety you've been indulging in.

Good luck with your test. Keep us posted. 
Andy Velez

Offline little_girl

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2007, 05:53:36 pm »
Hi

This is gonna be hopefully my last question here on these forums.

Here's my results.  I tested negative twice  95 & 105 days after my last possible exposure.

Now what??!! Can I move on with my life or do I need to test again after 6 months like I read somewhere in the past??

I want to return to my old life. I'm sick of thinking of HIV.

Thank you..

Byee..

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2007, 06:21:22 pm »
Yeah honey, your results are reliable. You can move on with your life. You don't have HIV.

Regards,

MtD

Offline little_girl

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2007, 11:28:06 am »

Thank you so much Matty. I really appreciate your answer.

I'll let you know what prevents me from moving on with my life. I hope that you or someone else will help me get over this.

I really want to stop thinking about HIV but these lines on the CDC website keep replaying in my minds:

"if the initial negative HIV test was conducted within the first 3 months after possible exposure, repeat testing should be considered >3 months after the exposure occurred to account for the possibility of a false-negative result. Ninety-seven percent of persons will develop antibodies in the first 3 months following the time of their infection. In very rare cases, it can take up to 6 months to develop antibodies to HIV."

I don't really know how others could accept their results after 3 months knowing that there's a 3% possibilty that their tests are indeed positive not negative.

I don't also understand how the reputable testing site that I tested in says that 2 months is enough.

This is gonna make me crazy..

PLEASE I WANT MY LIFE BACK PLEASE.. THIS IS MORE LIKE AN OBSESSION

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2007, 12:20:45 pm »
That 3% refers to those who maybe IV drug users and/or have severely compromised immune systems such as someone being treated for cancer. Do those categories fit you? I thought not.

You have reliably tested negative and no further testing is necessary. 

If you can't let go of this worry then I suggest it's time for you to talk with a therapist or other professional to get some support.

This is not an HIV situation. Period. End of story.  REALLY!
Andy Velez

Offline little_girl

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2007, 05:00:52 am »
I really LOVE you Andy.

You always bring a smile to my face and make me less anxious.

You're ABSOLUTELY right. I have to convince myself that HIV isn't my problem.

It's just confusing sometimes to read all of these conflicting info about HIV everywhwere. Sometimes we don't know what to believe. Like you may think that you are in the clear and suddenly read something like "you have to do another test after 6 months to double make sure"...etc.

Anyways, the good thing is everybody told me that I don't have to test anymore includung the center that I tested in. So, If I feel worried then it's a mental disorder. That's it.

Thank you again Andy & God Bless You.   

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2007, 09:00:14 am »
I'm glad you have found the exchanges here to be helpful.

It's time for you to get on with the other challenges of living your life -- and happily, WITHOUT HIV. May it stay that way!

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline little_girl

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2007, 09:47:56 am »

Hello,

I'm back again. This time I have an ordinary question. Just to be sure..

A DUREX condoms "Extra safe"  that are for "vaginal sex only" were used for Anal sex.
They didn't break but I just wanna know if it's a risk that they were used for anal instead of vaginal..

Thank you. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2007, 10:11:45 am »
girl,

It's only a risk if they break. If you use plenty of water-based lube like you're supposed to, the condom is much, much less likely to break, no matter what the recommendations are on the package.

Read the condom and lube links in my signature line for more information.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.