Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Any other poz health care professionals?

<< < (4/5) > >>

anmlvrnyc:
hi callaway,
i know a nurse, an x-ray tech and a doctor who have been poz for many years. no one is required to disclose at work. work is work. as long as you do your job, that's what matters.

Callaway:
Hi anmlvrnyc; thanks for the info, yes, I am aware that we don't need to disclose; it's the support they receive (if any) that I'm curious about.  Do they have a support network/group with other health care professionals? Or do they get involved in other support groups?  I'd be interested in their experiences.

bob_89q:
Hi Callaway
I am an RN. I too understand what you are thinking and I can relate to this.
The perceived stigma and emotional baggage is difficult to manage. The physical illness can be straight foward as long as you continue to take your meds (when you are prescribed them) and have regular check ups.
Keep in contact with this forum.
Take care buddy

LivingFree1989:
I guess I should chime in. I am a RN. I was + before I got into the nursing program. I have not disclosed to anyone at work. The stigma is great. The hardest thing is when I get HIV patients and I have to listen to ignorant staff share their views about it. It always shows that they are ignorant...

Ann:

--- Quote from: LivingFree1989 on January 26, 2013, 08:30:03 pm ---
I guess I should chime in. I am a RN. I was + before I got into the nursing program. I have not disclosed to anyone at work. The stigma is great. The hardest thing is when I get HIV patients and I have to listen to ignorant staff share their views about it. It always shows that they are ignorant...

--- End quote ---

I hope you do your best to disabuse the "ignorant staff" of their ignorant views when you're given these golden opportunities.

You don't have to disclose your status when you do this, you can easily do it from the point of view of an intelligent, knowledgeable and enlightened health care professional.

You don't have to be one of the pack by giving your tacit approval to their ignorance through your silence. 

And it has to be said - if you allow this ignorance to continue by keeping silent, you're no better than they are. Think about it.

Again, you do NOT have to disclose your own hiv status to use these incidents as teachable moments.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version