Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:35:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37634
  • Latest: Hope007
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 223
Total: 223

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Partial Unprotected Receptive Anal with Bleeding and PEP  (Read 40744 times)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Partial Unprotected Receptive Anal with Bleeding and PEP
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2011, 11:35:34 am »
Kid,

Go get your teeth done. All dentists use universal precautions that are designed to protect both the dentist and the patient. You are unlikely to be positive anyway. How many times do we have to tell you this?

Sending an email to the editors@aidsmeds.com about a problem logging in is hugely different to sending PMs to members to ask about things that pertain to hiv transmission and testing.

You are blowing this all out of proportion. Stop it and get back to your studies before you flunk out. Even if you do end up poz (highly unlikely) you are going to need a good education and good grades to get a job. It's hard enough to find employment in today's economy, don't make it harder on yourself.

GO. STUDY.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2011, 05:45:58 pm »
Thank you, Ann. I have been studying and the break you gave me helped to calm me down. I've decided that the symptoms could be many things such as anemia from the combivir (I'm only 120lbs and heard the reg dosage can be overpowering in smaller individuals) or even my wisdom teeth coming in. Plus, given that you've said in the past ARS symptoms usually come and leave at the same time shows that my symptoms are not all connected.

Anyway, I feel a little better now and my headache has started to subside and my temperature is more normal. I'll be sure to keep you all posted on my test results.

Thank you all (Ann, Andy and Jkinatl) for your support, I know I've been emotional.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2011, 05:56:38 pm »
Glad to read that you're calming down some.

Eat, study, get your teeth done if that is pressing. Doing that will take your mind off of HIV.

And yes, we continue to expect you will come out of  this ok.

Now...eat and study.
Andy Velez

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2011, 06:00:24 pm »
Andy, I've been studying! But, about that eating my appetite still hasn't returned from when I was taking PEP. I usually eat only breakfast (two eggs and toast) and maybe something small (few bites of pasta) for dinner. Is there anything I can do to make my appetite come back? I've been drinking more fluids to see if it will flush the remaining drugs out faster so the side effects can go away.

Correction: I don't think anemia causes low grade fever. So, not sure what is causing it but I hope it was a side effect of PEP that is taking its time in going away (3 days post pep now). Given the coincidence of the onset of symptoms (2 weeks) and long duration, I'm worried and hope that you guys are right that I'm negative.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 07:06:47 pm by collegekid »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2011, 07:37:36 pm »
Instead of larger meals, try having several smaller ones including fruit, veggies. Make it say 5 smaller meals a day instead of 3 biggies. Your appetite will come back gradually. Keep things around that you like to eat.
Andy Velez

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2011, 08:50:17 pm »
Hmm okay. I'll try that. It's weird though, I have absolutely no cravings for food. Maybe my stomach actually shrank from eating so little the past month? :/

Also, I have to take a drug test soon and I've heard some ARVs cause false positives for THC or other drugs. Do you know when it will be okay for me to take the test and the drugs will be expelled from my system? I don't want to set off wrong alarms.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2011, 09:00:58 pm »
kid,

The meds you took will not cause a false positive for cannabis.

Enough is enough. I'm giving you another time out. If you create yet another new account, you're history.

Go study already.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2011, 08:36:05 pm »
Hey Everyone.

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks again for the support. Next week will be 6 weeks post PEP so I can finally test; I'll be sure to keep you all posted. I also took your advice to go see a doctor and they aren't sure what is wrong--stress? However, recently for about 4 days I've had severe diarrhea (I go to the bathroom 5-6 times a day) and have had mouth sores. My doctor is looking into ulcerative colitis. I've heard that this is often associated with HIV. Is this true? I am going to go do a full testing for HIV and STIs next week, just want to see if this is possibly HIV or another STI. The ulcerative colitis came about roughly 8.5 weeks post exposure with around 4 oral ulcers. Thanks again for the help, here's hoping my next update is a negative.

Also, after reading posts like this http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=41015.0 I am wondering if maybe I have really blown this out of proportion. I am in a similar situation to the poster (live in a super high hiv per capital metropolitan city, only difference was my partner was not a college student) But similar risk profile overall. I guess given the fact testing is for "peace of mind" for him and I also took PEP, I really over-reacted. Anyway, thanks again everyone for bearing with me--almost able to test. It's been a rough and life changing experience for me, appreciate all the advice and great support.

Thanks.

Collegekid
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 08:42:12 pm by collegekid »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2011, 08:45:39 am »
Good luck with your test. We expect your result to be negative.
Andy Velez

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2011, 02:41:38 pm »
Andy,

I've never had such severe stomach pain and diarrhea before in my life. Why would I suddenly develop this ulcerative disease? Are there any STIs you recommend I specifically ask to be tested for? Are you confident this is not from HIV? I understand my risk was already low given the short time, plus I took PEP. But why do I feel so sick all the time? I've heard HIV lives in the gut and can cause a lot of stomach problems after infection.

Thanks and will keep you posted.

Hoping for a negative...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 02:48:28 pm by collegekid »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2011, 03:06:00 pm »
kid,

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of bacterial, viral and parasitic infections that could cause the symptoms you're experiencing. You're more likely to find a hundred dollars in the toilet after you have one of your bouts with diarrhea than it is to have anything to do with hiv.

If you continue to feel unwell and/or if the pain gets too intense, it's time to go to your local ER.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2011, 03:15:56 pm »
Thank you Ann for your fast and humorous reply. I'll hold you to those $100! It's just that I've gotten food poisoning or the stomach flu before, but never this bad. After what my doctor told me I started getting worried since probability of coincidence is too small.

Also, I forgot to update you guys but my partner claims that he is negative as of a test last May. But, he refuses to get tested with me, so I'm not sure there is much substance to that claim. I know you, Andy and Jonathan always say to never go by what someone says anyway.

Another update: I took all your advice and saw a counselor briefly and I will admit it helped (or at least until these stomach problems came). It was relieving to talk to someone in person, especially with how scared I was.

Thanks again for the humorous and helpful reply; I hope you are all right about this incident. Have any of you ever been surprised by a test result by the way?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 03:23:13 pm by collegekid »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2011, 05:54:16 pm »
Have I been surprised? Not really. Dismayed? Yes.

You'd be shocked, or maybe not, at how often otherwise rational, reasonable people get obsessed with HIV. It's really still quite a catch-all bogeyman when it comes to sexually related guilt. Even though modern drug therapies are VERY effective at basically arresting the virus, people still see it as a death sentence - and one handed down from a Judgmental Diety as punishment.

I've seen people become so obsessed that they completely ignore the possibility of ANY OTHER ailment, deciding in their hearts that HIV MUST be the cause of their problems.  Notwithstanding the fact that after the ten-odd days of ARS (when that even HAPPENS) a person might feel perfectly healthy for years and years before their immune system begins to show signs of erosion.

There have been people here with obvious signs of syphilis, who insist that it must be HIV. Syphilis, which if gone untreated, can disappear from a symptomatic point of view for YEARS, only to emerge later on, and cause irreperable blindness and even insanity and death.  Of all the things to die/become disabled from, that is the most heartbreaking because it is SO EASILY treated if caught early.

Also ironic because, in the days before penicillin, syphilis was the equivalent to HIV in the 19th century,

But nope, despite having textbook chancres, some people see their sexual world through AIDS-Tinted glasses. Gonnorrhea, chlamydia, all kinds of STDs go untreated while a person racks up HIV test after HIV test. Luckily many doctors go ahead and run full STD panels, but rapid clinics and home-testing kits certainly don't. And of course in the meantime these people are infecting all their sexual partners.

Some people actually get angry when their perceived punishment is not handed out. We've had people lie here and claim to test positive despite no risk. Several of them have even started threads in the other forums, usually with an air of "I told you so." Sadly, you simply can't fake the length and breadth of an HIV diagnosis for long. People here, trying to help, will ask for a person's blood count, their test results, their percentages and platelets and all sorts of numbers that HIV positive people get routinely, and which are nearly impossible to fudge on a regular basis.

Also, I think it disappoints those people when they are informed that their victim status is not encouraged within these forums. In almost every case like that, the person's falsehoods are brought to light and the indiscrepancies are impossible to ignore. It's really sad though, that some people feel the need to work so damned hard for that sort of attention.

So yeah, it gets depressing sometimes. If people knew how dramatically the experience of having HIV has changed in the last decade alone, they would understand how misplaced that terror and obsession really is. I am never going to claim that HIV is no big deal. It most assuredly is. But it is not a bogeyman anymore, especially not with the astonishing number of treatment options available.

What still exists, obviously, is the stigma. And though I understand not wanting to make it seem benign,  keeping obsolete attitudes towards HIV also keeps obsolete attitudes towards PEOPLE with HIV. Which, ironically, leads to new infections because people are afraid to get routinely tested.

I honestly feel that if EVERY sexually active person gets a full STD screening once or twice a year, INCLUDING HIV, then the stigma of those dreaded three letters will diminish. Once that test becomes routine, it's power to impact a person's psyche diminishes. And maybe, just maybe, people will stop making their sexual choices based on what a relative stranger claims on an internet hookup site.

Maybe, just maybe, it won't MATTER if one's sexual partner is HIV positive - because the understanding that using condoms for penetrative sex will have taken hold, and people will lose their irrational fear and judgment. Because people will take that small, simple step to protect themselves and their sexual health by wearing a condom.  People on this part of the forum will fight us tooth and nail over the simplicity of HIV infection. But it really IS that simple.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2011, 08:57:51 pm »
Wow, Jonathan. That was powerful. I hope you haven't taken what I wrote throughout this thread as attempting to be a victim or deceitful--I've tried my best to relay all aspects of my experience fully to get the most accurate advice and assessment.

I do agree that I am frightened because of the stigma. But also the fear of the financial burden and what that will cost my family. The emotional burden is something I can't put a value to. I'm also mad at myself for putting myself in that situation despite all that I've done since then to make sure HIV doesn't occur. I can tell you that these two months have made sure I will be absolutely more careful in who I become intimate with. I always used condoms in the past and as I noted in my first post the top was very aggressive and while I am also at fault for letting him frot, I should have set up boundaries first.

Anyway, thank you for the long speech and your help. I hope my result isn't a surprising or dismaying one. I know that  I am usually one of the "rational" ones you mentioned, but I can't deny these symptoms. I mean I understand that the risk is very low as you've all mentioned you don't recommend PEP for brief entries of receptive anal sex. So, I guess that coupled with PEP makes it very low risk. Still, I've never felt this sick. Unless you guys have another STI I should have on my radar, I am defaulting to HIV--which you mentioned too many people do.

Thanks again for the help. I guess a small bit of my was afraid that you were all denying my symptoms to ease me up before I test positive. But, you have all been nothing but helpful and I am being extremely paranoid. I know you must all be tired of my asking for reassurances lol.

Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2011, 09:06:49 pm »
kid,

Why do your symptoms have to be due to an STI? For all you know you could have salmonella or some other non-sexual pathogen you never had before. Just because you've never been this ill before does not mean it has to have something to do with sex, which is one of the things Jonathan was trying to tell you.

If you continue feeling so crappy (pun intended), go see a doctor again sooner rather than later, even if means spending Saturday night or Sunday morning in the waiting room of an ER.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2011, 09:16:07 pm »
Thanks, Ann. You should consider doing stand up. You're right it could be salmonella. I guess I just thought it was HIV or sexually related since I've never gotten food poisoning this bad before and I haven't been traveling or eating at new places. Anyway, I feel better--slightly. It's usually worse in the morning (woke me up for a few days) and every night I go to bed thinking it'll be gone tomorrow. Anyway, I'm staying hydrated and as you can tell always neurotically watching my symptoms, I'm a bit of a hypochondriac since this incident. I'll be sure to go to the doctor if it progresses.

Ann, have you ever seen someone with my risk profile test positive though? Is this a low risk or more like Andy said a "testing for my peace of mind"? I keep fearing I'm the exception to you three's combined multi-year experience.

Thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2011, 09:28:44 pm »
kid,

Nope. I've never, in all my ten years of posting here, never ever seen someone with a low risk such as yours, who also took PEP, end up positive over the situation.

As you've repeatedly been told, we have fully expected you to ultimately test negative from your very first post. Nothing has changed.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2011, 10:19:54 pm »
Thanks, Ann. The number of years all of you have been experts really helps. I'm not going to lie; as the testing date gets closer I am getting very nervous. Also, I think I'm really stupid. I have smoked cigarettes occasionally in the past but about a week ago I began smoking much more out of nowhere to deal with stress. After a few days I stopped and that's when the diarrhea came. I think it might have been too much nicotine or withdrawal symptoms. Not sure if you are a smoker; I don't smoke regularly so I've never really felt nicotine overload or withdrawal symptoms.

Anyway, I'll stop bothering you guys until I get my 6 week result.

Thanks,

Collegekid

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2011, 02:08:38 pm »
I couldn't wait and got tested today at 5.5 weeks post PEP (four days ahead of 6 weeks). Christmas came early: the result was negative. Is this as convincing as if I had waited the four extra days? Also, they screened me for syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia--results for that will come in 10 days.

The test they gave was an Oraquick Rapid HIV 1/2 done by finger prick. But, they also gave me something called an acute HIV test called an HIV Pooled NAAT test and drew a vial of blood for that. Is this like PCR? They said I could check in 10 days for the result and claimed that it could test the virus in as little as 11 days?

Thanks again for all the help and support. I guess its safe to assume all my previous symptoms definitely weren't ARS as the antibodies would've shown up?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 02:14:47 pm by collegekid »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2011, 02:14:29 pm »
OraQuick ADVANCE® Rapid HIV-1/2 Antibody Test FAQs
Are all negatives true negatives?
A Non-Reactive (negative) test means that anti-HIV antibodies were not detected in the specimen. This test result is interpreted as Negative.

It is possible to get a negative screening test if the infection is very recent. This may be because there is a window period of several weeks when a person may be infected but antibodies to the virus have not reached a concentration that is visible. Therefore, if a person has certain risk factors, or thinks they may have been exposed to HIV, they should be retested in three months to be certain of a negative result.

PCR-RNA tests are supplemental tests that have to be used in conjunction with an antibody test.

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2011, 02:18:54 pm »
Thanks, RapidRod. I fully intend to get tested at the three month mark. It's just that I've been told that six weeks post PEP is the earliest I can test and that usually provides a very good indication of my status. Do you know what the Pooled HIV NAAT test they also did is? The person I spoke to wasn't the most informed on the test.

Also certain websites like thebody.com mention that the CDC recommends getting tested out to six months if PEP was taken. Is a three month test still conclusive with PEP?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2011, 02:25:14 pm »
6 months is the old guidelines. Testing 3 months post your last dose of nPEP is conclusive. NAAT testing is another name for PCR-RNA testing.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2011, 04:16:40 pm »
Yes, it is ok for you to have dental work done.

Dentists have standard practices to protect their health (and that of their patients).

You need to step back a bit from all of your HIV focus. Remember, we expect you to come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2011, 06:03:59 pm »
Thanks Andy and RR. Andy, I think you were reading an old question; I got my wisdom teeth removed so that is all better. I'm happy for a negative result and hope its very encouraging. I know you and Ann often say it is very rare for a 6 week negative to turn positive. I just couldn't wait and hope the few days don't make a difference. Anyway, thanks again for the help. I'll wait a bit and test again and keep you guys posted.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2011, 06:27:52 pm »
OK. The few days earlier won't make a difference in the accuracy of your result.

You really need to take some time off from this site. You're spending way too much time here.
Andy Velez

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2012, 03:58:19 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I've been doing a good job of keeping this off my mind and I've officially passed the 13 week post-pep mark and will be testing tomorrow. Just an update from my last post, the PCR also came out negative, but I know you all say that it isn't used for diagnostic purposes. Good sign I hope for tomorrow.

Also, if you remember I had my wisdom teeth pulled out. Four weeks after I pulled them out I performed oral sex (no ejaculation in my mouth) and want to make sure this isn't a risk. You all always say saliva inhibits the virus, but the holes didn't fully heal yet at that point. They were smaller, not bleeding and not painful so I didn't think about it. Will this warrant another test 3 months from the incident or is this a non-issue and if tomorrow my test (hopefully) comes back negative I should take it as conclusive?

As always, thank you all for your help--scientifically and emotionally, I really appreciate it.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2012, 06:00:37 pm »
...And I'm still expecting you to test negative tomorrow.

Good luck.
Andy Velez

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2012, 09:38:14 pm »
Do you have an opinion on the wisdom teeth by any chance? The holes are still visible and sensitive, but not bleeding. I'm not sure if this is a risk.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2012, 08:55:16 am »
It has long been standard for universal precautions to be taken by dentists. So you were not putting anyone at risk by having your wisdom teeth done.

And I still expect you to test negative.

Andy Velez

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2012, 09:11:35 am »
Oh, I meant the giving oral sex after having wisdom teeth pulled out.

"Also, if you remember I had my wisdom teeth pulled out. Four weeks after I pulled them out I performed oral sex (no ejaculation in my mouth) and want to make sure this isn't a risk. You all always say saliva inhibits the virus, but the holes didn't fully heal yet at that point. They were smaller, not bleeding and not painful (but sensitive) so I didn't think about it. Will this warrant another test 3 months from the incident or is this a non-issue and if tomorrow my test (hopefully) comes back negative I should take it as conclusive?"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2012, 05:45:38 am »
Kid,

As someone who has had wisdom and other teeth pulled, I know how healed the extraction site is at four weeks. It may be sensitive, but it's healed. Hell, I have an extraction site that's over a year old and it's still sensitive. Healed, but sensitive.

You don't need to worry about the oral. If you had given a blowjob the day after the procedure and got loads of high viral load spunk in your mouth and swished the spunk around and into the wounds, then you might have a problem. You didn't do this and he didn't even cum. You're worrying needlessly, once again.

Go get your conclusive negative result and put this whole sorry episode behind you. As long as you remember to use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, you will remain hiv negative. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2012, 03:55:02 pm »
I got my result today (20 weeks post exposure) and it was negative! I cannot thank you all: Ann, Andy, Jkinatl, and Rapid Rod for all your help! I know I freaked out needlessly and it feels good to put this incident behind me. I'll be using condoms everytime I have penetrative sex in the future. Thank you all again!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2012, 06:06:31 pm »
That's wonderful news! Get on with your life now and protect that gift by making sure you always without exception use condoms for intercourse.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2012, 10:59:13 pm »
Hi All,

So, I've been proactive and careful in all my sexual encounters now. I just wanted to follow up because I recently read that AZT (which I took while with Epivir and Viread on PEP) is known to cause cancer. Are there lingering effects I need to worry about? I found no conclusive long term effect from PEP, but there are papers on brain damage and cancer risks when it is used in pregnancies.

Thanks,

Collegekid
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 11:37:17 pm by collegekid »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2012, 08:09:08 am »
Kid,

but there are papers on brain damage and cancer risks when it is used in pregnancies.

Stop reading crap that's going to do nothing but scare you and has nothing to do with you anyway. Are you a developing fetus? If so, wow, you've got one helluva career ahead of you in IT when you're finally born.

The short time you took PEP and therefore AZT is not going to affect you long-term.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2012, 07:13:20 pm »
Ann,

What do you mean by a career in IT? I know I'm not a fetus, but studies say even in adults and lab rats there have been increased cases of lymphoma, leukemia, anemia, other cancers, tumors and illnesses. I'm just worried that now I am at risk for these diseases. The studies say AZT is highly toxic and California already says its a powerful carcinogen.

I just wish that someone had explained this to me more. The clinic told me there were no long term side effects or any serious short term ones. I wish someone on the board had told me earlier that my situation probably didn't warrant PEP and the possible damage the medicine could cause. Now I'm worried that this one mistake will continue to damage my body forever. I know I didn't take it for a long time, but some doctors say even a short exposure is bad.

Thanks,

Collegekid

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2012, 07:48:44 pm »
Ann,

What do you mean by a career in IT? I know I'm not a fetus, but studies say even in adults and lab rats there have been increased cases of lymphoma, leukemia, anemia, other cancers, tumors and illnesses. I'm just worried that now I am at risk for these diseases. The studies say AZT is highly toxic and California already says its a powerful carcinogen.

I just wish that someone had explained this to me more. The clinic told me there were no long term side effects or any serious short term ones. I wish someone on the board had told me earlier that my situation probably didn't warrant PEP and the possible damage the medicine could cause. Now I'm worried that this one mistake will continue to damage my body forever. I know I didn't take it for a long time, but some doctors say even a short exposure is bad.

Thanks,

Collegekid

I think Ann was making a reference to the Deteriorata:

You are a fluke of the universe. You have no right to be here.
Deteriorata. Deteriorata.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste,
And remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Avoid quiet and passive persons, unless you are in need of sleep.
Rotate your tires.
Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself,
And heed well their advice, even though they be turkeys.
Know what to kiss, and when.
Consider that two wrongs never make a right, but that three do.
Wherever possible, put people on hold.
Be comforted that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment,
and despite the changing fortunes of time,
There is always a big future in computer maintenance.

You can read the rest of it here.

The studies say AZT is toxic? Which studies? No, don't link to them I'm being rhetorical.

We're well aware of the toxicities of AZT -- most of us have taken it for long periods at varying points. It can be toxic under certain circumstances but it isn't when used for the very brief time you used it.

Apparently everything is carcingenic in California including the radiation pouring out of your computer monitor.

MtD

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2012, 08:02:47 pm »
Hi Matt,

Still, I don't know how you can be confident there won't be any long term damage when many studies are still unsure of how toxic AZT is. Also, some say that the damage is irreparable (at any dose) since the medicine combines with DNA to stay in the body and cause mutations. I had terrible side effects while on PEP and I'm afraid that it's a sign that major damage was done to my body. I just don't know how no one warned me before I took the medicine. Can you honestly say you've never come across someone (who took AZT) developing a disease like those from the studies?

Overall, yes, I am glad the ordeal is over and I am HIV negative. But, I can't help but think I'll pay the price regardless later on.

Also, I still don't get the IT quote...Am I overlooking something?

Thanks,

Collegekid
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:06:32 pm by collegekid »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2012, 08:23:10 pm »
Hi Matt,

Still, I don't know how you can be confident there won't be any long term damage when many studies are still unsure of how toxic AZT is. Also, some say that the damage is irreparable (at any dose) since the medicine combines with DNA to stay in the body and cause mutations. I had terrible side effects while on PEP and I'm afraid that it's a sign that major damage was done to my body. I just don't know how no one warned me before I took the medicine. Can you honestly say you've never come across someone (who took AZT) developing a disease like those from the studies?

Overall, yes, I am glad the ordeal is over and I am HIV negative. But, I can't help but think I'll pay the price regardless later on.

Thanks,

Collegekid

Look, this isn't a discussion forum. You are HIV negative and our responsibilities to you are at an end. Unless you have some new risk to discuss with us it's time for you to return to the noise and haste and to leave us be.

But, in a spirit of good will, I will address your concerns about AZT one last time.

The side effects you experienced are very common. They do not mean you have done lasting damage to your body. They are just the price of admission. Powerful drugs that work at the biochemical level HIV drugs work at will make some people feel ill.

Recent research into long term use of HIV drugs has shown that there is no increased risk of death associated with the medications themselves. I can't be bothered looking up the link but you'll find an article on it around here somewhere. I believe it was authored by Sean Strub.

Now go. Take your negative result and your anxieties elsewhere.

MtD

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2012, 06:46:33 pm »
Thanks for the response, Matt. I still don't know how you are so confident when most studies are unsure at best what the long term effects are. I was reading through the forums and most people on Combivir are looking to change regimens because of the toxicity. How can you say that there are no long term effects (can't find article) and then also say that it is toxic?

I'm mainly worried because I have three family members battling cancer right now. Obviously, I don't have the luckiest genes and now I feel like I have basically ensured my own fate by taking AZT. I feel like I'm going to spend the rest of my life wondering when I'm going to be hit with a terrible diagnosis.

The only reason I am still posting is to find out why you're so sure and also why Combivir is still being prescribed. I feel that someone along the way should have warned me or at least told me there were alternatives. I understand the need to be vague in forum posting and am extremely thankful for the help everyone put into my thread. But, a little more specificity and explanation as to my risk and the risks of PEP would have been invaluable.

Thanks,

Collegekid

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2012, 07:31:45 pm »
Thanks for the response, Matt. I still don't know how you are so confident when most studies are unsure at best what the long term effects are. I was reading through the forums and most people on Combivir are looking to change regimens because of the toxicity. How can you say that there are no long term effects (can't find article) and then also say that it is toxic?

I'm mainly worried because I have three family members battling cancer right now. Obviously, I don't have the luckiest genes and now I feel like I have basically ensured my own fate by taking AZT. I feel like I'm going to spend the rest of my life wondering when I'm going to be hit with a terrible diagnosis.

The only reason I am still posting is to find out why you're so sure and also why Combivir is still being prescribed. I feel that someone along the way should have warned me or at least told me there were alternatives. I understand the need to be vague in forum posting and am extremely thankful for the help everyone put into my thread. But, a little more specificity and explanation as to my risk and the risks of PEP would have been invaluable.

Thanks,

Collegekid

I am confident about this because I can see the issue objectively. You cannot. You're viewing all of this through a prism of your own fears.

Of course combivir can be toxic. Any drug can be toxic. It's an old drug and has side effects. There are better drugs available for HIV positive people and so many doctors move their patients onto these.

But many positive people stay on combivir because it is powerful, cheap and effective.

Clearly you've got a lot going on in your life and this is interfering with your ability to view this stuff in it's proper perspective.

In any event, we have been quite clear with you. You used AZT for a very short period of time. This will not have increased your lifetime risk of developing cancer. I do not know how much more specific we can be.

You are HIV negative.

I recommend you see a doctor or appropriately qualified mental health worker to assistance with your anxieties. We cannot provide you with any further assistance. We provide information about HIV transmission and testing. We're not a drop in centre for the emotionally frail.

You will not be permitted to use this forum to wring your hands about non-existent risks. I draw your attention to the posting guidelines for Am I Infected? which are outlined in our Welcome Thread.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2012, 07:53:20 am »
Kid,

but there are papers on brain damage and cancer risks when it is used in pregnancies.

Stop reading crap that's going to do nothing but scare you and has nothing to do with you anyway. Are you a developing fetus? If so, wow, you've got one helluva career ahead of you in IT when you're finally born.

The short time you took PEP and therefore AZT is not going to affect you long-term.

Ann

Um, it was a joke. You said something about the use of AZT in pregnancy and I assumed you meant the effects on the developing fetus - which is irrelevant where you're concerned because you're not a developing fetus. If you were a developing fetus, then I said you'd have a great career ahead of you in IT (information technologies, you know, computers and stuff) because you were adept at using a computer before you were even born. Get it?

You're way over-playing this whole AZT cancer thing. Hundreds of thousands - if not millions - of people have used AZT for far longer than your measly 28 days and have not developed cancer as a result. Get a grip.

I'm sorry to hear that you have family members who are suffering from cancer - but stop making their cancer all about you. Yep, that's exactly what you're doing by obsessing over AZT and your own chance of developing cancer. You're making it all about YOU. Maybe a bit of counseling is in order for you to let go of this so you can concentrate on your loved ones.

There's nothing more we can do for you here. It's time for you to put this episode behind you and move on with your life.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2012, 07:37:56 pm »
Ann & Matt,

Thank you both for your replies. I don't think I'm being overly irrational as some things (asbestos, for example) cause cancer, but it takes a while to develop rather than overnight. My main concern is that studies are worried about the toxicity of AZT and other drugs and their ability to cause cancers and other diseases. The consensus is that no one is sure what the long term effect of the drugs are (and most people are changing away from combivir of all drugs). Yes, I know I only took it for a short period of time, but that isn't the only link to whether I will have health problems later on or not.

I'm sorry if I've wasted your time and my intent was never to make this a discussion board and you don't "owe" me anything or have a duty to respond to my post. Truth is, there isn't anything I can do. I've taken the PEP and it will either harm or not harm my health down the line. I'm thankful for my negative status, but given the choice I would also rather not have any lingering effects from the medicine (still don't feel 100% like my old self, not sure if its from the medicine).

Anyway, thanks for all the help.

P.S. I was confused why there was a reference to Deteriorata.

Collegekid
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:29:37 pm by collegekid »

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2012, 09:52:33 pm »
Do any of you know how common lymphoma is with HIV medications? I've been having chest pain/pressure, bone pain (ribcage, back and hip) and abdominal pain as well as persistent and widespread itching--all symptoms of lymphoma. I'm going to wait a little longer before I see a doctor, but the symptoms last came in January and are now back for 2 weeks. I also experienced a lot of cramps and pains during PEP (mostly left ribcage and lower left abdominal area--both of which still continue today).

Do any of you have experience with this? I also came across a poll on this forum where 50% of people responded saying they know someone who developed lymphoma from ARVs.

Please help/advise.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2012, 09:59:22 pm »
Do any of you know how common lymphoma is with HIV medications? I've been having chest pain/pressure, bone pain (ribcage, back and hip) and abdominal pain as well as persistent and widespread itching--all symptoms of lymphoma. I'm going to wait a little longer before I see a doctor, but the symptoms last came in January and are now back for 2 weeks. I also experienced a lot of cramps and pains during PEP (mostly left ribcage and lower left abdominal area--both of which still continue today).

Do any of you have experience with this? I also came across a poll on this forum where 50% of people responded saying they know someone who developed lymphoma from ARVs.

Please help/advise.

Go away.

MtD

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2012, 10:04:44 pm »
Wow, that was extremely hurtful. I honestly don't feel well and am worried. The only reason why I am asking about the possible effects from ARVs is because these symptoms developed after I took them and have been happening for a few months.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 10:06:56 pm by collegekid »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2012, 10:38:00 pm »
Wow, that was extremely hurtful. I honestly don't feel well and am worried. The only reason why I am asking about the possible effects from ARVs is because these symptoms developed after I took them and have been happening for a few months.

Dry your eyes, Princess.  :'(

This has been explained to you eleventy squillion times. Why you don't get it is beyond me. Could be you've got some OCD going on or it might be that you're just dumb as dog shit.

In either case you're beyond our help.

I've referred your second to latest post to the Moderators for review.

MtD

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2012, 12:33:37 am »
I'm sorry, collegekid. I really am. And I take part of the blame. It appears that my idiotic attempts at rational conversation have only made things worse for you. I would like to think I have learned my lesson, but sadly, the scientific bait is like catnip for me.

However, I recuse myself from this thread, and hope that you get the help that you really really need.

If ANY of your latest postings made scientific sense, I would be on your side. They don't. ARV's do not CAUSE lymphoma. And a month's worth of AZT is not going to do shit to your long term cancer prospects. Reading posts from the Long Term Survivors who were on the stuff (at roughly five times your dose, by the way) for years and years, and comparing that with your PEP - well, it would be laughable, except I'm just sad to have been part of the problem.

I can do what I can, however, to help you launch yourself from this site. I too, have reported your posts. I wish you all the best. You will not find it here.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline collegekid

• Standard
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2012, 12:39:48 am »
Based on the post, a user developed lymphoma after one year on ARVs and the study showed that there is an increased prevalence, regardless of duration. Also, I've read many postings from Newt that said side effects tend to happen in the first few weeks of taking ARVs, not months later. So, if there was damage, it was done when I felt sick from the ARVs. Also, as for the 5X dose level, a study in Thailand Newt referenced said that combivir has extreme effects on people who weigh less than 130lbs. I only weigh 105.

It's fine that none of you want to sympathize with my physical suffering (which has been plaguing me for a while). But, its another thing to add insult to injury.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2012, 12:46:57 am »
Based on the post, a user developed lymphoma after one year on ARVs and the study showed that there is an increased prevalence, regardless of duration. Also, I've read many postings from Newt that said side effects tend to happen in the first few weeks of taking ARVs, not months later. So, if there was damage, it was done when I felt sick from the ARVs. Also, as for the 5X dose level, a study in Thailand Newt referenced said that combivir has extreme effects on people who weigh less than 130lbs. I only weigh 105.

It's fine that none of you want to sympathize with my physical suffering (which has been plaguing me for a while). But, its another thing to add insult to injury.

Side effects DO tend to happen sooner than later. But most people who take Atripla, for example, find that their body adjusts rather quickly. The side effects are not permanent - and for those who stop that medical treatment due to severe side effects, they stop.

Dude, I have been positive since 1993. Truse me when I tell you I would not be alive right now had I not researched the holy fuck out of the meds, and chosen wisely - even though I was ON AZT (1800 mg 3Xdaily) for over a year, ans felt like hell. I've made it part of my life's work to research the virus inside me, the transmission vectors, and make damned sure I know what I am putting inside my body to fight it. Please stop offending me, and embarrassing yourself.

You are becoming angry with the same people who have tried to help you. That's not a Beyond Worried Well - that's the final chapter: The Vengeful Worried Well.

Again, I am reporting all of your posts. I think you need to go now.

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.