Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:22:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 184
Total: 184

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Who Qualifies As a Longterm Survivor?  (Read 90348 times)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Who Qualifies As a Longterm Survivor?
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2008, 09:50:29 pm »
Hi Bettytacy, thank you and I will not look back but I aslo will never forget where I came from .. ok so long for now as always your Friend PRMike

Staying clean for me is like driving a car-sometimes I have to look in the rear view mirror or I'll get hit by something; but I can't stare at the mirror, or I'll crash. :)
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline SteveA

« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2008, 12:01:20 am »
I remember AZT and my diagnosis that was given to me on my birthday in 1989. I'm certain that I was HIV positive for at least two years before that diagnosis because of all the sick time I took from my job loading and unloading airplane luggage compartments in the Houston/Nashville heat! I wasn't given much time by the asshat who gave me my diagnosis in Nashville either but I survived AZT from 1989 til 1993 when I left Nashville for Saint Louis and got a new doc and new meds, DDI & DDC.

I also fondly remember coming down with MAC in 1996 and ending up in the hospital with 8 T-Cells running fevers of 108 and being so manic that the nurses couldn't believe I was sitting up talking at all. It was at this time that my doctor told me it was time to stop trying to work and that I should take disability. I also remember asking my mom to have our pastor come to the hospital to pray with me and being told he wouldn't come until I "Turned from my sinful lifestyle". I'm pretty sure I survived MAC just to spite him and prove that God loved me in spite of how some of the people who claimed to believe in him felt about me!

These days I'm undetectable and most of my suffering is from the PN from so many years on Nukes, high triglycerides, high cholesterol and Type II Diabetes from the PI's and kidney stones from a genetic predisposition to high uric acid levels from my mom's side of the family.

While I totally agree with Andy that people should respect LTS, I have to go the extra step and say that I think people should respect EVERYONE in these forums! Respect should go both ways here. Just because some of us have "Been there, done that" by no means does it give any of us license to disrespect the newly diagnosed or turn noses up at people who haven't been where we've been.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 12:03:55 am by SteveA »

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2008, 11:31:35 am »
Oh yeah, I agree everyone should be respected. I doubt anyone would really argue with that.

But to analogize you could say that a person that has been driving a car daily for the last 20 years and has taken all the safety courses would likely be a better or more experienced driver than the person who started driving today.

I guess that was a decent kinda dumb down the subject comparison.  ;D

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2008, 02:59:22 pm »
Oh yeah, I agree everyone should be respected. I doubt anyone would really argue with that.

But to analogize you could say that a person that has been driving a car daily for the last 20 years and has taken all the safety courses would likely be a better or more experienced driver than the person who started driving today.

I guess that was a decent kinda dumb down the subject comparison.  ;D

agreed

the analogy (not the dumb down part, silly)

Offline hudstar

« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2008, 12:21:01 pm »
I think we had another similar posting on this site  - short term Vs long term if I remember. Being LTS is not a runner up for some academy award, it's just a term that encompasses a group of us with many feelings and memories that LTS share. For me long term survivor recognises those who were told they had a three year life expectancy, or thereabouts  ......so long term survivor is appropriate in terms of length of time living with HIV and for surviving it this far. LT experience is also different to that of someone diagnosed post HAART.  Today CD4 counts do not read as a countdown for life, there's more pills, more say in your health-care and no waking up every four hours to swallow toxic and experimental amounts of AZT. I do not remember what drug trails I went on as there were so many. Attitudes have also changed some - mostly due to political correctness i.e in the 80's & early 90's we were given our diagnosis printed with bold lettering stating HOMOSEXUAL HIGH RISK, a kind of certificate to remind you of what you are and what you had. I still have my certificate 20 years on.
 ;D

diagnosed 1988
POZ personals - hudster

Offline PRMike

« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2008, 03:50:42 pm »
we were given our diagnosis printed with bold lettering stating HOMOSEXUAL HIGH RISK, a kind of certificate to remind you of what you are and what you had. I still have my certificate 20 years on.

Hi Hudstar, wow I cant beleive that they did that but knowing how some agencies in our goverment and the way some people still react to People that say they are Hiv+/Aids I know that it is a fact,,, at first when I found out that I was Hiv+ I was really scared to let anyone know because I did not want them to think that I was Gay, which I'm ashamed of thinking that way,,, as time went by I realized that I did not give a Shxt what anyone thought all that mattered was that I was alive but it took a long time,,, I got infected by using someone's needle, the one and only time that I did that....
In the last 6 yrs ever since I got clean I learned that all that matters is that I stay clean and take care of myself and hopefully I'll meet a Poz woman
PRMike

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2008, 04:19:53 pm »
I was going through some old paper work and found a diagnosis letter stating I had ARC.
AIDS related complex. I dont have one that says GRID though.

I wonder if any of you got a diagnosis letter that said GRID....

Offline PRMike

« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2008, 05:30:37 pm »
I was going through some old paper work and found a diagnosis letter stating I had ARC.
AIDS related complex. I dont have one that says GRID though.

Hi Winiroo, I remember having been told that I was in the ARC stage but that was so long ago, now I do not know what is GRID,, never heard of it,, ????
anyway it's nice seeing you ok so long for now as always your friend PRMike
PRMike

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2008, 10:18:50 pm »
GRID = Gay related immune deficiency

Its what they called HIV/AIDS before they called it HIV/AIDS. I was diagnosed after they gave HIV its proper name.

Offline hudstar

« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2008, 08:36:30 am »

Wow,that would be a gem! Maybe we should open a HIV Museum
diagnosed 1988
POZ personals - hudster

Offline hudstar

« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2008, 09:14:38 am »
wow I cant believe that they did that but knowing how some agencies in our government and the way some people still react to People that say they are Hiv+/Aids

Hey PRMike. This was in Australia very early HIV days. In addition, HIV+ women were often branded "cheap" unless infected via blood transfusion - then they were promoted to innocent victim status. I hope women back then never had "CHEAP" emblazoned on their certificate  ??? !!!! Any HIV male regardless of who they were was automatically gay - no questions asked. Boy did the health experts go on a major learning curb since then. Shame it took then over decade to submit academic reports that people at street level knew all along! Another funny story from the days of hysteria here in OZ, Government talked about setting up quarantine style resorts, my favorite was a location off the far north Australian coast (a tropical island) Imagine.......sunshine, free accommodation and plenty of beach. I think the government realised we would have too much fun so took the biblical apocalyptic approach that served them well during election time!  ;D  Although not directly HIV related, at least one good thing came out of those dark days - they removed the "gay panic defence" from our legal system because gay murders rose drastically during those times.  Back then those of us who could afford to leave here applied for two year working visas - either to Canada or UK - me being one of them. I guess these are the things my generation of HIV'ers remember.

diagnosed 1988
POZ personals - hudster

Offline PRMike

« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2008, 09:58:33 am »
Hi Winiroo, thank you for the answer on GRID

Hudstar you have been through so much but I'm glad that your strong and still here to be my friend

I have much love and Respect for all of you,, I truely beleive that we are a very special kind of people, that have great passion, Love and Respect for others, May our Lord & Savior be with US

as always your Friend PRMike
PRMike

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2008, 12:40:40 pm »
Wow,that would be a gem! Maybe we should open a HIV Museum
The Smithsonian has research materials and interview tapes and transcripts.

I remembered reading somewhere there was a collection but I couldn't remember who it was. I looked online and found this on Google.

http://americanhistory.si.edu/news/pressrelease.cfm?key=29&newskey=728

Offline sparks

• myspace
« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2008, 01:01:15 pm »
I remember being 19 yrs old watching my room mate pass away from complications of aids. I was so scared i had never been tested for 2 yrs i went on worrying about it ,, it was a time of azt, chest ports , and lots of treatments that didnt work ...Right before my 21st birthday i got tested and the result was hiv + ,, i was really scared all the treatments didnt seem to not be working and one by one my freinds passed away at the time there was no need for treatment due to early detection , but  i new my time would come 5 to 6 yrs into it my numbers were starting to drop and at the same time the drug trials for all the new medications was going on at ARCA (aids research consortium of atlanta) and i got involved,, yes we didnt know what these medications were going to do to us but it was a chance i had to take ,,, there was so many pills in the beginning  i believe we were being over medicated due to the fact no one new the proper dosages . There was  so much diarhea and heartburn, but me and my fellow patients we labored on takeing our meds on time drawing the lab work doing the research,, it was well worth our efforts it didnt take long to see the positive results and it wasnt long til we moved from takeing 18 pills to 12 to now 4 a day ,,,to every one of the people involved id like to say god bless you job well done!!! it has made such a major impact on so many lives,,, i believe the day will come where we will see treatments come down to an injection once a year but until then watching the clock takeing my meds on time....
IM a 17 yr survivor my t-cells have always been 900 or above znd my viral load remains undetectable,, ive known i was positive since i was 20

Offline hudstar

« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2008, 02:45:33 pm »
The Smithsonian has research materials and interview tapes and transcripts.

great to see that, thanks. I guess we all have stories to tell. I sometimes wonder how we had time to deal with ourself back then cause most energy went on trying to deal with what was happening externally
diagnosed 1988
POZ personals - hudster

Offline edfu

« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2008, 05:01:00 am »
NIH Researchers Recall the Early Years of AIDS:

http://history.nih.gov/NIHInOwnWords/docs/page_34.html

ACT UP Oral History Project:

http://www.actuporalhistory.org/interviews/index.html

Loads of history in these two sites. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 05:04:02 am by edfu »
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline hudstar

« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2008, 07:56:56 am »
Returning to the subject of Long termers, You do not see much of the AIDS quilt anymore. It was once a central form of activism and remains a visual reminder of those who had died. Now the quilt comes out during World AIDS Day memorials and some un-named states have put the quilt to rest due to its upkeep being a financial burden.
diagnosed 1988
POZ personals - hudster

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2008, 11:56:09 am »
Returning to the subject of Long termers, You do not see much of the AIDS quilt anymore. It was once a central form of activism and remains a visual reminder of those who had died. Now the quilt comes out during World AIDS Day memorials and some un-named states have put the quilt to rest due to its upkeep being a financial burden.

Very true, and quite sad to me.   The Names Project IS still accepting panels for the Quilt, I recently submitted one for my cousin who died in 1990.   I hope to begin work on a panel for my friend Kevin who died in January.    I know the Quilt is way too big to display, but it is an amazing Memorial.   Much of it is viewable online, too.  They even have some search functions available to help you locate names / panels.

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: August 18, 2008, 11:58:51 am »

Yes, it is sad we don't see or hear about it anymore.  Back in like '92 or '93 there were some panels brought to the Steppan Center at the U of Notre Dame.  Myself and a group of my friends went to see it.  For the little bit of it that was there, it was breath-taking, all the different panels and designs.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline hudstar

« Reply #119 on: August 18, 2008, 01:44:23 pm »

I recently submitted one for my cousin who died in 1990.  

Alan

Hey Alan, that was really nice what you did. The quilt here in Melbourne had a new panel added for AIDS Day service 2007 so i know they still add to it. Yes the quilt in America is massive.........very very sad. I remember seeing a picture of it spread out infront of what looked like the Whitehouse?
diagnosed 1988
POZ personals - hudster

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2008, 02:41:52 pm »
I helped in an unfolding ceremony of a panel they did here in the 90's. I never did make any panels for my husband or son though.

I used to have pictures but god knows where they went.

Offline bear60

« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2008, 03:01:44 pm »
I remember this:
"The overwhelming response to the Quilt's inaugural display led to a four-month, 20-city, national tour for the Quilt in the spring of 1988. The tour raised nearly $500,000 for hundreds of AIDS service organizations. More than 9,000 volunteers across the country helped the seven-person traveling crew move and display the Quilt. Local panels were added in each city, tripling the Quilt's size to more than 6,000 panels by the end of the tour.".....from aidsquilt.org

http://www.aidsquilt.org/history.htm

I was in New York City in 1988 to visit my friend Michael OBrian, who died of AIDS a few years later.  He and i went to view the quilt in Central Park. We entered the park and walked over a bit of a hill and then as the quilt came into view I had a sense of being overwhelmed and sad.  I started crying and Michael found the panel belonging to a friend of his. It was one of the saddest days of my life.  But its a moment I will cherish forever as I remember Michael as he was then.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline PRMike

« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2008, 06:47:38 pm »
Hi I would like to know how can I look up a few names of some friends I knew that have passed ???
thank you for any help as always your Friend PRMike
PRMike

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2008, 08:27:53 pm »
I put in my late husbands name and came up with a match for someone with his name but with a different middle name. Funny
No one had my name or my son's.  :P

My late husbands name was Michael Hixon. He doesnt have a panel on the quilt.
I dont think I have showed him to any of you.
I dont think of him often anymore. He wasn't the best partner but he was a good friend.

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2008, 08:49:45 pm »
You two were a handsome couple Wendy.  What year did he die?   He was a nice-looking man.

love & hugs,

Alan

PS - yes Joel, I have lots of SAD quilt memories too.....seeing the panels of friends we had lost, it could definitely be overwhelming.   My partner went when the Quilt was fully displayed on the National Mall in D.C. in Oct 1996, but I was still too ill to make the trip.   I have lots of photos of that event.   That was the same month my health began its drastic turnaround, from dying to living.
Odd to think back to that time....seems so long ago!
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2008, 10:45:58 pm »
He died January 19, 2001. He was 30 years old.

I think I was about 26 in the picture and he was 28.  The picture was taken before he started looking ill.
But guessing at how fat my face was he was having problems. I started gaining weight when he started getting sick.

Offline PRMike

« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2008, 08:57:58 am »
I put in my late husbands name and came up with a match for someone with his name but with a different middle name. Funny
No one had my name or my son's.  :P

My late husbands name was Michael Hixon. He doesnt have a panel on the quilt.
I dont think I have showed him to any of you.
I dont think of him often anymore. He wasn't the best partner but he was a good friend.

Hi Winiroo, has anyone ever told you or him that he looked like Matt Damon  ???
PRMike

Offline PRMike

« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2008, 09:52:14 am »
Hi Everyone, I tried to look up some names but I could not do it,,, Do I have to go through all of it in order to find them ???
thank you again for any help as always your Friend PRMike
PRMike

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2008, 10:23:26 am »
Mike,

Did you go to NamesProject.org?   then "View the Quilt",  then search:

by panel listing "contains" _____________ (type in the name here)

For example, if I do a search for panel listing that contains Greg Troia, it pops up several panels for him (he was a popular entertainer in Atlanta in the 80's)

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2008, 12:34:58 pm »
Hi Winiroo, has anyone ever told you or him that he looked like Matt Damon  ???

No cant say I've heard that.
Michael was a hefty guy. Not real tall but a little taller than me at 5'10 I think at his heaviest he was 220 pounds. Which doesnt bother me at all but Matt Damon is way cuter LOL

Offline PRMike

« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2008, 08:22:10 pm »
Mike,

Did you go to NamesProject.org?   then "View the Quilt",  then search:

by panel listing "contains" _____________ (type in the name here)

For example, if I do a search for panel listing that contains Greg Troia, it pops up several panels for him (he was a popular entertainer in Atlanta in the 80's)
Hi AlanBama, thank you for the info, I will give it a try
PRMike

Offline hudstar

« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2008, 12:09:31 am »
Odd to think back to that time....seems so long ago!

I think what you said embodies the views of a long termer as it does seem surreal. Most of us here would also remember the obituaries in local gay newspapers and magazines - you dreaded reading through the names
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 12:15:10 am by hudstar »
diagnosed 1988
POZ personals - hudster

Offline edfu

« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2008, 01:03:42 am »
Against the advice of my psychotherapist and doctor and (what's left of) all my friends, I refuse to throw out my old address/phone book that I began using in the early 1970s and begin a new one.  Some of the letters don't even have room for additions.  Next to each person who has died I've written in "R.I.P." in red and the date of death, if known.   It's spiral-bound and falling apart today, but I will NOT give it up and stop using it.  It has become my own personal memorial to all of them, and I do not know how I will otherwise remember them all.  I certainly will not forget my best friends who are gone, but this book includes acquaintances, fuck-buddies, and that endearing category of times past:  "tricks."  I recognize that this may seem morbid and creepy to many and not conducive to my own mental health, but I'm stubborn about it.   As an LTS who's now 65, I estimate that I've known over 150 who have died (not all of whom are in my book).  So in a way, it's my own personal Names Quilt.  R.I.P.       
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline AlanBama

« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2008, 09:55:05 am »
I think your address book is a great Memorial Ed....I have a similar one of my own.   It is ragged and held together with a rubber band....there are names of people that I KNOW died of AIDS; names of some that I don't know about (but wonder often) and some names of people that I cannot remember at all....now that makes you feel old.

I have tried several times to start a "list" of everyone I know that has died of AIDS, but I either get bogged down, or the task seems impossibly daunting, what with my memory being fuzzy anyway....I'm sure if I had such a list, it would overwhelm me.  :'(

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2008, 10:03:21 am »
Edfu, I don't see anything wrong with that.  I think, like Alan said, it's a great memorial, in its own way.

I looked on the names project website last night, just out of curiosity about a friend who recently passed (2006) and yep, there was a beautiful panel for him.  It made me sad, but I'm glad he was remembered. :'(

Offline PRMike

« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2008, 03:20:07 pm »
Hi I keep trying to look up these names but I can not seem to get it for some reason,,, if anyone can help me I will truely be grateful...
the names are Parker Hall  and John Kholler
I am not sure if he passed but his name is Julio Negron

thank you for any help as always your Friend PRMike
PRMike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2008, 07:12:06 pm »
Mike, go to namesproject.org.  Then hit search and put in the person's name you're trying to find.  I don't know how to explain it any better.  Maybe someone else does.

Offline PRMike

« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2008, 09:32:49 pm »
Mike, go to namesproject.org.  Then hit search and put in the person's name you're trying to find.  I don't know how to explain it any better.  Maybe someone else does.
Hi Betty, thank you and i will try it.. I hope that your alright and it is always so nice to hear from you as always your friend PRMike
PRMike

Offline sparks

• myspace
« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2008, 05:49:13 pm »
that quilt always disturbs me to see it
IM a 17 yr survivor my t-cells have always been 900 or above znd my viral load remains undetectable,, ive known i was positive since i was 20

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #140 on: August 22, 2008, 11:37:10 pm »
I saw the quilt when it was displayed on the Mall in Washington DC, in 1996. It was the last year the entire quilt was shown all in one place.

It was immense. I saw the names of many people I knew, including three panels I had submitted myself.

I was with a good friend named Cem McClellan. It was the first year I had stated meds and both he and I were on Crixivan, AZT and Epivir. Weird what you remember.

Cem died in 2000.

Those memories of Washington are really precious to me.

HUGS,

Mark

This is a panel from the quilt that includes a friend of mine, Pat Sanchez, who died just before the cocktails became available.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 11:51:41 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2008, 12:24:41 pm »
This is a panel from the quilt that includes a friend of mine, Pat Sanchez, who died just before the cocktails became available.

Beautiful panel, Mark.

Offline KT2333

« Reply #142 on: September 11, 2008, 10:38:39 am »
I'm new here.

My cousin John was diagnosed with HIV in 1983, and died in 1996.  He was on AZT, and reading through all the comments here, I noticed quite a few of the LTS didn't take the meds until much later.  I wonder now if my cousin didn't take them would his chances for survival be longer then 13 years?  It was torture seeing him dying, but it made me an advocate. 

Thank you for this website.

Regards,
Katie

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2008, 07:23:15 pm »
Welcome Katie;

I'm sorry for your loss but loosing loved ones makes us bypass our shyness and turns us into pretty good advocates for some things. Back then azt did good to some and bad to others. Doctors didn't know much about the virus either so I suppose they thought they were doing the best they could. I became detectable in 86 and was given AZT that same year. It made me miserable and I quit it on my own free will about 6 months later. I stopped taking any med but felt fine until 1993 when I got a terrible case of pneumonia. Then I visited a specialist in hiv and began my treatments. Thing is, I don't know why I've lasted this long and only last year became "undetectable" for the first time in these 22 years! I thought I was suppose to be "Six Feet Under" a long time ago. My strain of hiv is a mean one and resisted all the meds I went through until Fuzeon came out. I guess being an Air Force brat helped me grow a strong immune system with all those inoculations you get as a kid whenever your Dad is assigned to a new country or state. Who knows, but everyone here has a different reason for being a LTS but many did quit AZT on time....

Take care...
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline bear60

« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2008, 03:21:28 pm »
"I'm new here.
My cousin John was diagnosed with HIV in 1983, and died in 1996.  He was on AZT, and reading through all the comments here, I noticed quite a few of the LTS didn't take the meds until much later.  I wonder now if my cousin didn't take them would his chances for survival be longer then 13 years?  It was torture seeing him dying, but it made me an advocate.  " quote Katie

Katie my response to you would be this:
 In those early years:
1.  some people died very quickly, some did not
2. some took meds and some did not
3. azt was the only thing available to treat HIV infection...and it was good for some and not others.
4. some doctors prescribed very high doses, some did not....those who prescribed very high doses of azt made a mistake, as I remember it...the dosage was lowered to half the original recommended dosage
5. Had your cousin John not taken azt he might have died an even quicker death but ......he would have died anyway.
6. John lived for thirteen years with HIV? 1983 to 1996? My partner Paul only lived 6 years with HIV. 1989 to 1995. ( Had it not been for treatments he would have only lived a year or two after diagnosis)
7. remember him for who he was..... not for the HIV
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline majykman

« Reply #145 on: September 14, 2008, 05:47:32 pm »
By some peoples definition, I do not qualify as being an LTS. I was diagnosed in 1999, four years after the first PI was approved by the FDA. However, I think the standard definition will change as time goes by and new breakthroughs and disappointing setbacks occur. Coming up on my ninth anniversary, I would tend to say anyone that was diagnosed at least 10 years ago would be considered an LTS. But regardless of the definition, I find it inspiring and encouraging that there are still a lot of people that were diagnosed in the eighties and early nineties, still kicking it and chugging along. You guys and gals are the ones that the newcomers and not-so-newcomers look up to for advice on how to survive.  :)
Diag: 1999/12/23
VL: Been undectable since May 2000
Average CD4: 743

Offline bretticus

« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2008, 07:56:01 pm »
I was infected in 1984 and am still here. A tough road. I have been very lucky. I decided that sitting around waiting.....was the wrong thing to do. I went back to school and received my B.S. I am now in graduate school for Politics and Public Policy. Perhaps I can get in there and kick some butt concerning health care, the environment, and the need to keep religion and politics separate. I think this website is indispensable. Who ever thunk it up done good! (English Major?)...lol
BretticusMaximus

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2008, 08:04:12 pm »
Hey Bretticus,

Welcome.  Congrats on getting your BS and going on to get the graduate degree.

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #148 on: October 01, 2008, 08:29:54 am »
I can very well relate to "refusing to take AZT".

From 1989 I visited the HIV doc once a year, and at every occasion he would try to convince me in taking azt.
My homeopathic doctor always told me : no.

I followed her advice and only started taking meds in 1995, after PCP struck and almost killed me.

And yes, absolutely true is that I believed in survival.
I even started plans to build my own condo. The thought of it made many people uncomfortable.. as if I would go though all that trouble to never see it realised.
However, enough people stood by me and told me to go ahead.
I did finish my condo and moved in in 1998.

And last, but not least, i surrounded myself with positive thinking people, that treated me as a living being and not a "soon-to-be-dead " one.

These are some of  the reasons why I think  I am still around.

Love

Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.