Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:09:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 193
Total: 195

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Please help!  (Read 6043 times)

Offline momof2

Please help!
« on: August 29, 2013, 08:53:13 am »
Does anyone here know of a young, white, heterosexual, non iv drug user, no transfusions,  being diagnosed hiv+, did not medicate,  then diagnosed as AIDS 8 months later without ever being sick? He only got checked bc his girlfriend cheated on him and she is negative

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Please help!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 08:58:01 am »
Sure, there are a lot of people who roughly answer that description (honestly, the white, non-drug-user, heterosexual aspects are unnecessary details - the only detail that matters is that he's HUMAN). Why do you ask?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline momof2

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 10:16:06 pm »
I'm just looking for answers.  I've been doing a lot of research and found somewhere that the chances of that happening are .04%. This virus seems so cunning and I am starting why some people can be in denial when they aren't and haven't sick all but CD4 keeps dropping.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 10:50:03 pm »
You can get lucky and live for a time with a low cd4 count and one day wake up with a life threatening or terminal opportunistic infection , so if his cd4 count is consistently falling below the 350 range then treatment is crucial in order to survive this virus .

I lived for a decade with anywhere from 50 to a 150 cd4 count and then developed cancer . I have had friends die in as little as 2 years after testing poz . Untreated HIV is a game of chance a person will not win in the end if the cd4 continues to fall .

Please provide a more specific reason you are asking this question if you don't mind ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline intaglio

• Doesn't have to pay for vowels
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 03:52:39 am »
This virus seems so cunning and I am starting why some people can be in denial when they aren't and haven't sick all but CD4 keeps dropping.

I ended a long-term relationship with a guy. I went and got tested one final time. It came back negative. I now know I should have done a follow-up test. But, hey, all my other tests had all come back negative. After my experience with him (and the lack of others to take his place) I stopped having sex with guys.

Six months before I was diagnosed, my primary care doc noticed my white blood cell count was doing odd things. He sent me to an oncologist/hematologist. They couldn't find anything wrong.

It took developing a sinus infection that wouldn't respond to antibiotics, my doc deciding I should be hospitalized for further tests, that I was diagnosed with pneumonia caused by one of those bugs that signify AIDS. (So I got an upgrade on my original diagnosis of HIV :P)

All the while, I was just feeling like I was fighting another sinus infection. I didn't feel anything but a bit run down. I ended up having more problems with the Bactrim they prescribed to fight the pneumonia - it landed me in the hospital a month later due to a toxic reaction to it.

So that's how this guy walked around for five years with HIV in his system and had no clue.
Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 05:45:51 am »
Hello
1) Diagnosis Date  does NOT alway equal  infection date.
When your friend was diagnosed, did he get an estimate how long he had been infected PRE-DIAGNOSIS.
Just to help in your Sherlock Holmsing....

2) You seem to be amazed at the rate of "progression to AIDS."  Yes someone can get the virus one month, and be very sick a few months later.....  Not the usual experience but its not all that uncommon... 

To help your Sherlock Holmsing....  What is the opportunistic infection he has that defines the "AIDS diagnosis"????   You say he is not sick but if he is not sick he doesn't have AIDS....    AIDS means a low CD4 AND AN INFECTION.....  Some doctors are loose with the term and some patients are bad listeners.  Its possible your friend didn't quite understand and may not have an "AIDS DIAGNOSIS" - he may have low CD4 in the "AIDS category" or "RISK for AIDS category" which is not the same as a diagnosis.  Get it?

3)  It doesn't matter if he is a fast progressor, if he has AIDS or doesnt have AIDS, he can take treatment and get healthy again...

4)  The concentration on the ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation --- whats that got to do with progression to AIDS rate?  NOT MUCH OR NOTHING.  I call bull you got any details with those factors in your research to come up with your .04%......

Why would a transfusion have anything to do with rate of CD4 decline?????

All the stuff in category 4 - please let go..... You're wasting your time if you are trying to find research with all these categories....

Its 2013... Your friend can get medical treatment and deal effectively with the HIV infection..

Sounds like there is some problem in his couple that is motivating these questions, anyway.....   Something this trying to be proved or disproved or something....
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.