Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:33:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773224
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 613
Total: 616

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Doc, My dog ate my Meds - Really!  (Read 7044 times)

Offline Life

• Member 2005
Doc, My dog ate my Meds - Really!
« on: November 07, 2006, 08:25:46 pm »
This always worked for term papers 19 years ago...  Now I can use it for my meds. 

What do you do when your puppy eats your meds?  Do I have to watch for Lipo or some other side effect??  Luckily,  Johnny just barfed it up and I found it as I was going out of the door this morning.   One Kaletra, ain't gona kill him I hope...   ;D  Hell if a dog won't even swallow it, how are we expected tah..  No I didn't put the goobered Kaletra back in the bottle either.. ;D

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Re: Doc, My dog ate my Meds - Really!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 08:28:21 pm »
Glad it didn't hurt him Eric!   I've been worried about Fang getting hold of a dropped pill....some of my heart meds are TEENY TINY.

Funny, how she basically ignores her nice furry rat toys, and jingly bell things, but let me drop a pill (or something else she shouldn't have) and she's on it like a duck on a junebug.
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 09:04:51 pm »
Dogs will eat anything. I once was visiting a friend and saw his dogs gulp down the cat poop from the litter box.

It was disgusting. I wasn't crazy about being licked by a dog before that. After, all they have to do is look at me like they want to lick my hand and I'm outta there.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline whizzer

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 10:03:21 pm »
Man has 5 million olfactory sensory cells inside his nose.  A German Sheppard has 220 million.  In addition, the olfactory bulb in the brain of a dog is 40 times the size of that in man.

We can smell a chocolate chip cookie.  A dog can smell the sugar, the flour, the eggs, the butter, and the chocolate.

Maybe cat poop (or poop in general) smells real good.......only we can't smell the good parts.  Maybe it smells so good that poor Fido just can't resist wolfing it down.

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 10:29:42 pm »
What next? Fido proof caps on meds? I find the childproof ones tough enough to open.

Glad he tossed it up, eric. Now git him off yer leg and get ta work.

Offline Teresa

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 10:46:16 pm »
Eric,

Thank heavens he barfed it back up! Now just how did he get your pill???

I caught our dog eating poop out of the litter box. Afterwards I had puke to clean up off the floor .....mine!
Now I make sure I check the litter box several times a day instead of once a day.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Blixer

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 10:47:29 pm »
Wow Eric! What a couple of weeks it's been for your.  Your first missed dose and not the dog is trying to take your meds.  Man's best friend... if you can do it... he can too... Or NOT maybe...   

Glad everyone is okay!
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 12:20:57 am »
you know what?   All I can do is go up from here.....  Im headed home now,  I think I am destined to hit a deer..  ::)

My pill fell when I was filling my container I guess... Klutz!

Oh yeah, I am waiting on my latest labs as well....  They are overdue...   FUCK FUCK FUCK AND FUCK SOMEMORE...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 12:22:58 am by Eric »

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 02:30:37 am »
I had a puppy who ate my Norvir...  Better the dog than me, after all 18 pills a day are more than enough.  That dog was relatively clueless.  My dog in the avatar can pick out a chicken bone in the bushes, miles from the nearest KFC, but he attended Graduate School.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 02:34:03 am by Sonomabeach »

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 07:06:10 am »
Tootsie Roll anyone?  ??? :-*
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 08:41:05 pm »
I hope that those of us with dogs, especially small or midsized dogs, will take this to (heart?) and really watch what we are doing with meds.  If chocolate is pure poison and our drugs are the strength for men, not children, or women, you can imagine the effect given a dog's weight/age comparison.  Or, to be more truthful, I go completely nuts if I hear one drop somewhere in the kitchen until I have found it since I know that it would not be good for my mini dachshund.  As for the litter box, I will not forgive my ex whose dog taught mine to go into the litter tent as soon as the cat which grew up with his dog exited.  The two dogs would vie for who got in first. Yuck! Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline FiercenBed

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 10:31:34 pm »
for $40 a pill id put it back in the bottle.....lol

Offline randym431

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2006, 12:59:15 am »
Keep things up and away from dogs.
One of mine ate my partners dentures ($850 dentures) he left on his desk. The dog chewed them up and I seen these white things all over and ask whats that? When I realized, my partner actually cried. He knew he had no money to replace them and would look like some toothless old man without teeth.

I had the idea to call my home owners insurance and they paid for replacement dentures. What a break! My partner only had tg go without upper teeth for a week. He just didnt go out much, and never talked or smiled if he did. I thought he looked cute without teeth, but he didnt agree.

But I know a dog will get into anything. And usually when you least expect it. I also keep my eye glasses up in the cupboard or in the desk when not wearing them. I can just see the dog eating my $450 glasses.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 07:29:22 am »
The reason dogs eat cat poop, not only yours is cats poop is full of fat..I learned that on an animal show, though not one of those Steve Irwin exploitation ones!
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2006, 08:45:13 am »
Eric, what's the matter? Don't you have any old term papers you can leave around for him? Just askin'......
Andy Velez

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2006, 09:13:10 am »
I printed a list of "what to do if your pet eats" off the internet and keep it on the fridge. A bottle of hydrogen peroxide is a must-have if you have a dog. Give 1 teaspoon per ten pounds to induce vomiting if you know your dog has ingested something they should not. Make sure you know what they have gotten into before inducing vomiting. There are veterinary poison control numbers all over the internet to assist you if you have questions. A dog is like a 2-year old they will put anything in their mouth.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 09:43:13 am »
WOOF!
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 09:49:06 am »
My pill fell when I was filling my container I guess... Klutz!

and the dog finds it of course! murphy's law!

glad he's okay ..... it might be a wake-up call to "be more careful" in the future

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.