Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:46:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 216
Total: 216

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How to increase the number of your TC4  (Read 53212 times)

Offline frednottinghamUK

How to increase the number of your TC4
« on: June 01, 2006, 07:22:04 am »
I would like to share with you my own experience as I have already did with all my friends, and it works.
To understand better what you have to do I am just explaining, briefly, my situation:
I have been diagnosed when I was 16, now I am 31. I used to live in Italy, but after some mistakes in my results I decided to move to London for a short break and since them I am living here. When I arrived at the St. Mary hospital in London, 6 yers ago, I was very concerned about my TC4 count, but a doctor suggested me to try something different to raise up the numbers... from 200 to 300, to 400, to.... it is already 3 years I am from 1150 to 1200.

Combined with your therapy, you need to follow a special diet:

For the first 3 years you need to follow this diet for at lest 6 months, the for the rest of the yers just 3 months every year or when you TC4 are falling down. The diet is very simple and easy to make, but it takes you a while to re-arrange your habits.

Here the instructions:

1) Everything you cook need to be steamed (just buy a normal steamer in plastic, NOT IN METAL)
2) After you cooked your meal you need to put it in a mixer until it became liquid
3) All your meals looks like a soup or thick soup
4) You need to take some supplement everyday ( Vitamins, mineral salts ) can be find in any drug stores but you need also Omega 3 oils and Cod Liver Oil. (people who are using Kaletra will boost their TC4 quicker with this combination)
5) You need to change a bit your habits regarding pasta and bread. For the 1st 3 years, unfortunately you are alllowed to eat just rice. After that you can start again to eat your pasta and bread but be careful to not exagerate.
6) You need to follow everytime a combination ( I will explain later)
7) You need to "cut" coffee (max 2 per day)
8) Alchool, sorry but you need to restrict it at max 1 bottle of wine per week or max 3 pints of beer per week

Combinations:

I will explain to you the perfect combination:

By portion "p" I mean 100g

Breakfast: must be from 6 to 8.30am

p Milk,1/2p Yougurt, p fruit (nice milk shake) ;) you can add if you like 1/2p of any cereals you like.

Lunch: mush be from 12.30 to 2pm
p any meat you like + 2 p of veggies you like + you can add 20g oil, or 1/2 p boiled water, or 1/2 p tomato chunks or soup, or 1/2 p of beans (any kind)
Remember 6 times a week you need to eat at lest:
Broccoli
Carrots
Zucchini

Snack: from 4 to 6pm
You can eat any portions of veggies or fruit you like
(no snack bars)

Dinner: from 6.30 to 8
1 p of meat or fish you like, 2 p of veggies you like + 1/2 p of boiled water only
Find the best combination for you, but remember:
Any fish is good
Pork is allowed just 4 times a week
Try to eat as much as you can white meat
Do not forget you supplements

Snack: from 10 to 11.30
After dinner you can have 1p of gruits or yougurt

Drinks: as many fruit juice you can, milk, still water anytime anywhere, no diet coke, coke sparkling drinks.

I know for experience it takes a while to go on with this diet, but you can eat a lot. You just need to be a little bit more organized. The food is like petrol for a car, you can put it in a diesel. So eat more properly.

If you have any doubts please contact me.

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
Re: How to increase the number of your TC4
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 08:30:00 am »
Eating a balanced meal is all that is preferable

This is advice that I would consider UTTER RUBBISH

I'm sorry, but I must totally disagree with your advice.   Just because you may be on such a diet and have good numbers does not equal the diet causing good numbers.

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 02:47:07 pm »
I don't know how you arrived at this diet, or the conclusion that it increased your #'s
there are so many flaws in it that I dont know where to start.
 personally, you lost me with 'TC4 count..'.  enjoy your broccoli carrot Zuchini slurpee, (don't forget to buy extra toilet paper)  I puree all of my food as well through a process known as Chewing.
A well balanced diet and some  proven supliments are a big part of successfully living with HIV,  If you stick around and read what some of the members here have to offer you may very well get some much more sound advice.
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 02:52:58 pm »
1) Everything you cook need to be steamed (just buy a normal steamer in plastic, NOT IN METAL)

What is happening if the steamer is in metal  ???

The Canuck

Offline Lwood

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 03:09:54 pm »
If the steamer is metal, you will turn green and explode when you drink your slop.
This is one of the flaws in this diet,  I wonder if he paused to consider that the blade of the blender is made of metal.... this reminds me of vegetarians that walk around in leather shoes....

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 03:21:32 pm »
Ok then..I'll use only carrots as I prefer to turn orange before exploding. :-\

The Canuck

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 05:19:53 pm »
Ok then..I'll use only carrots as I prefer to turn orange before exploding. :-\

LOL! the only thing i might agree with from the original post is the anti-coffee anti-booze stance

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 05:20:38 pm »
Eating a balanced meal is all that is preferable

This is advice that I would consider UTTER RUBBISH

I'm sorry, but I must totally disagree with your advice.   Just because you may be on such a diet and have good numbers does not equal the diet causing good numbers.

yeah it does seem rubbishesque

Offline Duude

• VANS Warped Tour Kicked ASS
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 10:33:59 pm »

Wow.  What if you have metal fillings in your mouth or braces?  Can we cut the veggies with a metal knife?  Will the metal in the trucks transporting the veggies affect us?  Is Starbucks espresso shots in cans ok?  Can we pay for those using metal coins if we are out of paper dollars?  I hope I dont go to hell for this.
Duuude

Offline randym431

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 05:41:50 am »
I admire you trying to advise on getting that cd4 to recover. With so many it takes FOREVER!!! Even with a long term undetectable VL (via meds), recovering the immune is a looong haul.

I have a friend out west thats been on meds since 1995. His cd4 was 85 when he started meds.
He lives alone and eats and has always eaten really bad foods. He lives off hot dogs, pizza, ice  crean & candy, lots and lots of canned foods and quick foods. Even with all that, his cd4 is now 900. The one thing he does do is take some 17 suppliments a day/week. Herbs, vitimins, tons of pills. His doctor says he over does the suppliments and they probably dont really help, but with his cd4 at 900 he ignores the doc and keeps on his suppliments.

I'd like to know the secret to getting the cd4 and more so that % to recover faster. I'm not willing to take a bucket full of suppliments, but there MUST be something that helps. I just dont know what it would be, or where to start. I dont want to take any more than I have too, but just the right suppliments to get results (whatever they might be???).

I'm very clueless in thiss area. To me, suppliments would be a "one-a-day" vitamin. I wouldnt know where to start to take of know what to take to really help your body. I wish the med field would address this issue with hiv folks on meds. My doctor isnt any help either since they seem to poopoo the idea of suppliments or that they even work. You know doctors...
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Bartro

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 10:25:10 am »
I believe a multivitamin without iron (for men) and a B-12 complex supplement would be a sound choice for most people.  High iron levels in men can lead to heart problems.  I myself take a generic version of "One a Day for Men" and a B-12 complex once a day.  Of course the best way to get vitamins is from food.  If you balance your diet and include foods with all the vitamins and trace elements you don't need a vitamin.  Very few people do this and if your appetite isn't the best it's even more difficult.
Rusty

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 10:41:36 am »
High iron levels in men can lead to heart problems. 

Yup I heard that too. I also heard that you can get lots of B12 from sushi sashimi however those with CD4 below 300 should exercise caution with sushi sashimi

Offline Lwood

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 02:49:33 pm »
The only thing Ive ever read with regard to supliments that can help rebuild CD4's is in the Lessons section  and in a link to some work by larklands.net at the bottom of those lessons.  I'd love to see a comprehensive study on rebuilding CD4's  hey wouldn't we all?
Doc's seem to poo poo most supliments and harp on the "Well Balanced Diet" mantra , probablly because of the endless questions they get about the claims that are made for various vitamins and herbs. In most cases theyre probablly right, but HIV does some really weird stuff to the bod, and can cause some specific defeciencies like selenium.( see the Larklands articles)  so, I suppose it pays to do your homework.

Offline randym431

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 12:42:33 am »
So what would you take? A men's one-a-day and add some B12, plus something with selenium?
My sister swears on some herb thingy called gensink (spelled wrong but sounds like).
I also hear fish oil pills help the skin...?
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 02:27:47 am »
allopathicholistic ,

since you seem to be pretty informed on this, maybe a 'lesson' is in order.   alternative medicine can be a great thing i think to help keep people healthy and eating right and vitamins can perhaps do alot... i don't place faith in that myself...

but perhaps a  true lesson on holistic vitamins can help here... and balanced nutrition... that's kinda lacking from the regular lessons.... maybe you should contact the forum mods about this... it can't be especially specific and has to be supported by conclusive science.   I suspect not everything you believe can be included... but perhaps SOME of it... this site deals in science... and many people are interested in holistic/alternative help.    Anything that makes the body be 'better'.

Maybe a basic lesson on eating healthier and vitamins (in addition to your meds) might be in order... just sayin...

you seem the perfect person to write such a topic.

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2006, 04:45:39 pm »
Now now people...be kind. Perhaps Mr Fret Not, Think Ham (oint, oint,yum) in UK indeed has his diet working for himself.  :D Good for him. Take it with a pinch of salt.

Taking things in moderation, eating, exercising and resting well is all good. And a constant thirst for new info is even better. Peace!
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2006, 10:13:26 am »
Well I would have thought that after 25 years of HIV/AIDS it was pretty obvious that the only thing that resulted in increased CD4 counts for most of us (with a nod to the LTNP's here who are the exception) is Highly Active Anti Retroviral Therapy.

I'm a stout supporter of Western Orthodox Medicine. You know, that stuff you go for when you're REALLY sick. Over the years we've heard about all sorts of loony crap. Naturopathy, colloidal silver (very dangerous), ozone therapy, reiki, bach flower remedies, reflexology, that traditional chinese rubbish and the worst of the lot - homeopathy. All crap, people. And how can I say that? Well because there isn't a skerrick of empirical proof to back them up. They either don't work and/or are actually quite dangerous.

I mean no matter how committed to the homeopathic method someone is, I reckon when they break their leg, they'll have high-tailed it to the local hospital staffed by, you guessed it -- medical practitioners trained in western orthodox medicine.

Western orthodox medicine often makes mistakes, but consider the self correcting processes it contains. Yes, it's conservative, but that's because of the high standard it exacts. Something can't just "seem" to work. It has to be demonstrated to work as best we can measure and observe it with material means.

As for vitamins, well I go with the medico's again. If one's diet is suitably balanced, there is no need to take expensive vitamin and mineral supplements. I think vitamins and mineral supplements should be only be used when one has been advised to do by a qualified clinician. And no, I don't mean the "wellness worker" from the natural health and holisitic dance collective.

But don't take my word for it. All the work has already been done when it comes to backing this stuff up. I recommend that members peruse this site http://www.quackwatch.org/index.html for why "alternative" therapies are a load of codswallop.

MtD

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2006, 10:26:09 am »
Matty,

the worst of the lot - homeopathy

Most definitely the worst. If this thing would work then it means they can cure alcoholism with the equivalent of one drop of alcohol in a river. Totally silly !!!

The Canuck

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2006, 10:43:08 am »
I have not taken any antibiotics in 11 years now, that is since I came out of hospital with PCP.

I have since that only used homeopathy. Beside my HAART. And sure, it does not cure broken legs and not everyone can work with homeopathic drugs.
But it surely helped me to cope with the side effects a lot.

I can only speak for myself. But my HIV doctor has been very surprised that whatever infection I have it gets cured by homeopathy. It simply means that those drugs boost my immune system.

But I fully agree that too many people pretend to be homeopathic doctors. Mine is a classically trained doc.

Hermie

Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2006, 10:59:26 am »
I can only speak for myself. But my HIV doctor has been very surprised that whatever infection I have it gets cured by homeopathy. It simply means that those drugs boost my immune system.

You know Hermala, that's the problem. I appreciate that homeopathy is all the rage on the continent and has been for the better part of 150+ years. You can only speak for yourself. It's anecdotal and the issue here is that there may be other things at work with you that fix your health problems that have nothing to do with the homeopathic remedies you're paying good money for.

It may well be the HAART. It's often the placebo effect. More commonly it's coincidence.

Homeopathic remedies are nothing more than water. Some have alcohol and some preservatives in them. There is never a single molecule of the "active ingredient".

Seriously babe,  check out http://www.quackwatch.org/index.html and learn just how much money the homeopaths have taken you for.

MtD
(Who loves Hermie madly)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 01:31:20 pm by matty.the.damned »

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2006, 01:26:06 pm »
Matty sweetheart,

Only one thing counts for me : staying on top of that virus.
I have often said that what works for you is good for you.

That surely is why I said I only speak for myself:

Hermie,
who loves his sister and likes a little stirring in the pot.....
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2006, 01:33:44 pm »
Hermie,

If it bakes your cake, well do it, but babe there's no science behind homeopathy. What's doing you the most good at the moment is your HAART and the resultant healthy immune system you have.

Love you,

MtD
(Who still reckons you should check out that site)

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2006, 02:02:02 am »
If it bakes your cake, well do it,

Homeopathy did not bake my cake. it wasn't helpful in the slightest. only cost me $30 to find out thank heaven

Offline denniss

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2006, 10:43:52 am »
Fred
Bet u didnt see this coming. For all that's worth - no more metal in my kitchen. :-X

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2006, 06:28:03 pm »
I think the no metal miracle diet has been practised and well known by our brothers and sisters since 1981. The mantra then was simply, "No Wire Hangers, Ever !" .....spoken inspiredly by the true iron lady herself, Ms Joan Crawford in Mommie Dearest ;D

« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 07:30:02 pm by Merlin »
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2006, 08:46:28 pm »
i think it's also a load of bullox without ANY scientific foundation WHATSOEVER!

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2006, 10:40:36 pm »
It is bollocks. Good quality stainless steel kitchen equipment poses no risk to anyone, unless you whack them on the head with it.

MtD

Offline Optimistic

• An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctors Away!
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2006, 04:47:18 am »
I do know that a well balanced diet would maintain better health and is definitely recommended to people who are HIV+, but I am not sure that the process described here would definitely raise cd4 counts.  If that was the case, why would we need meds?? Wouldn't that kinda be a cure of itself? 

Justin
12/06 (Atripla): cd4 - 260; cd% - 33%; vl - 169
1/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 267; cd% - 38.1%; vl - 132
4/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 373; cd% - 33.9%; vl - <50
7/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 287; cd% - 35.8%; vl - <50
9/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 356; cd% - 39.5%; vl - <50
12/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 517

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2006, 10:33:38 pm »
and that also begs the question... are you eating your food with metal utensils?   Or are we all chopstick happy now?

Bailey (who eats well with choppies, but only at Japanese restaurants)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 08:22:06 am by Peter Staley »

Offline Lwood

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2006, 08:42:37 am »
That Does It !!!  From Now on Im only eating with  my Right hand( I wipe my Ass with the Left) and if I need to cut something Ill use a sharp Rock,
Food Processing will be done with a series of Rocks and Sticks...Cooking will be done over open coals, cookware is a flat rock and possibly a gourd.
The Neandrathals had it right all along. And yes, I'll Have The Roast Duck, with Mango Salsa....

"I'm An Apeman, Im an Ape Ape Man"....
Ug. Where are the Ape Twinks?

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2006, 10:19:01 am »
I'll Have The Roast Duck, with Mango Salsa....

and to the OP:
"yeah, maybe next time do a little research" (SCOFF! >:( )

Offline Steven

• A Place To Start
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2006, 08:11:30 am »
While I do support the idea of using vitamins and supplements, and have touted the line of "listen to you own body", I seriously do not think someone would take the advice given in this thread.
If there were a magic bullet that would guarantee a person's T-cells to rise it would have been posted a long time ago.
If your starting out with a low T-cell count with a high viral load you need to get the VL down to allow your body time to recover from the damage that the virus has done to your system. Some people rebound quickly others take a longer time to recover from the effects hiv has done to them. 
Eating properly, using vitamins /supplements wisely and resting your body are all combinations that will have an effect on you.  Taking all your food and making it into a soup is only going to give many people the squits, and I doubt you would get all the nutritional value out of it versus cooking the food the way it was meant to be.

Offline joemutt

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2006, 10:10:38 am »
And if the magic bullet is made of steel then you cannot use it :-\

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2006, 04:55:12 pm »
it's patently obvious he is trying to sell something here.   As noted by this being his first and only post on the forums and with no return comments.

It's pure rubbish.

Offline bobino

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2006, 12:41:40 am »
As far as what supplements to take, I have seen a registered dietician here in San Francisco.  She specializes in nutrition for HIV-infected individuals, and her advice is simply to take a good multivitamin.  This assumes, of course, that you eat a well-balanced diet.  She also said that it's important for HIV+ people to take in more calories than an HIV- person.  The infection increases your caloric needs.
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline fearless

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2006, 11:55:10 pm »
For the reasons Matty has spelt out, I'm no great supporter of 'alternative' medicines/therapies but they intrigue me somewhat. Give me peer reviewed, replicable scientific research any day.
New Scientist magazine, however, did an article a while back named '13 things that don't make sense'. you can read it here: http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18524911.600.html.

The bits on the placebo effect and homeopathy make for interesting reading.

On homeopathy:
4 Belfast homeopathy results
MADELEINE Ennis, a pharmacologist at Queen's University, Belfast, was the scourge of homeopathy. She railed against its claims that a chemical remedy could be diluted to the point where a sample was unlikely to contain a single molecule of anything but water, and yet still have a healing effect. Until, that is, she set out to prove once and for all that homeopathy was bunkum.

In her most recent paper, Ennis describes how her team looked at the effects of ultra-dilute solutions of histamine on human white blood cells involved in inflammation. These "basophils" release histamine when the cells are under attack. Once released, the histamine stops them releasing any more. The study, replicated in four different labs, found that homeopathic solutions - so dilute that they probably didn't contain a single histamine molecule - worked just like histamine. Ennis might not be happy with the homeopaths' claims, but she admits that an effect cannot be ruled out.

So how could it happen? Homeopaths prepare their remedies by dissolving things like charcoal, deadly nightshade or spider venom in ethanol, and then diluting this "mother tincture" in water again and again. No matter what the level of dilution, homeopaths claim, the original remedy leaves some kind of imprint on the water molecules. Thus, however dilute the solution becomes, it is still imbued with the properties of the remedy.

You can understand why Ennis remains sceptical. And it remains true that no homeopathic remedy has ever been shown to work in a large randomised placebo-controlled clinical trial. But the Belfast study (Inflammation Research, vol 53, p 181) suggests that something is going on. "We are," Ennis says in her paper, "unable to explain our findings and are reporting them to encourage others to investigate this phenomenon." If the results turn out to be real, she says, the implications are profound: we may have to rewrite physics and chemistry.

And on the placebo effect.
1 The placebo effect
DON'T try this at home. Several times a day, for several days, you induce pain in someone. You control the pain with morphine until the final day of the experiment, when you replace the morphine with saline solution. Guess what? The saline takes the pain away.

This is the placebo effect: somehow, sometimes, a whole lot of nothing can be very powerful. Except it's not quite nothing. When Fabrizio Benedetti of the University of Turin in Italy carried out the above experiment, he added a final twist by adding naloxone, a drug that blocks the effects of morphine, to the saline. The shocking result? The pain-relieving power of saline solution disappeared.

So what is going on? Doctors have known about the placebo effect for decades, and the naloxone result seems to show that the placebo effect is somehow biochemical. But apart from that, we simply don't know.

Benedetti has since shown that a saline placebo can also reduce tremors and muscle stiffness in people with Parkinson's disease (Nature Neuroscience, vol 7, p 587). He and his team measured the activity of neurons in the patients' brains as they administered the saline. They found that individual neurons in the subthalamic nucleus (a common target for surgical attempts to relieve Parkinson's symptoms) began to fire less often when the saline was given, and with fewer "bursts" of firing - another feature associated with Parkinson's. The neuron activity decreased at the same time as the symptoms improved: the saline was definitely doing something.

We have a lot to learn about what is happening here, Benedetti says, but one thing is clear: the mind can affect the body's biochemistry. "The relationship between expectation and therapeutic outcome is a wonderful model to understand mind-body interaction," he says. Researchers now need to identify when and where placebo works. There may be diseases in which it has no effect. There may be a common mechanism in different illnesses. As yet, we just don't know.

Food for thought

Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Steven

• A Place To Start
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2006, 08:27:15 pm »
As far as what supplements to take, I have seen a registered dietician here in San Francisco.  She specializes in nutrition for HIV-infected individuals, and her advice is simply to take a good multivitamin. 

I saw one also a few years ago.  She did not know the benefits of vitamin C.  ???

My doc who was not a believer in vitamins/supplements since he was not taught about them was so impressed with the vast improvements I was making medically, (I had kept him informed of everything I was taking),
that now he just asks if I have made changes to the vitamins/supplements and he is recommending them to his other patients as well.

Taking different supplements and vitamins may not work for everyone, I always stress that you must listen to your body and heed what it is trying to tell you. There is no vitamin or supplement out there that will increase your T-cells and maintain them over time.

Offline Morton Salt

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2006, 09:51:13 pm »
hMMMM, So metal is that bad eh!  I think im gonna stop driving my truck and get myself a plastic spoon to ride to work.

Offline ryeguy

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2006, 09:01:05 am »
I recommend a pinch of toads tongue steamed in an old rusty mixer then mixed in a plastic steamer. Drop this in a cauldron of Big Macs and Me xxi Melts + 1p of dark German Import Beer. Boil for 2 weeks, Freeze at -20 Degrees, then defrost on high in an old Microwave from the 1980's. This must all be consumed at once and 12 times a day. Quasi every 2 hours so set that alarm clock, it's all worth it for better numbers.

What the Flank is going on here??  ???

Grüsse aus Berlin

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2006, 05:10:17 pm »
What the Flank is going on here??  ???

Rion, the consensus is this: The original post is utter rubbish!!!!!!!!!  >:( :D :D :D :D :D

I think we keep it around for sheer laughter. With that said, thanks for your contribution  :D

Offline ryeguy

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2006, 01:14:37 pm »
Why thankyou..... I love your pic. I think the seen is in Bambi as thumper and Bambi are discussing the skunks name:-) and Bambi calls the skunk flower:-)) then the skunk replies) this is the sweetest line of all Walt Disney films?   'he he he  WHY, YOU CAN CALL ME FLOWER IF YA WANT TO.....(blush and scuffle to the side)'

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2006, 12:42:28 am »
hahhah,  :D yeah, flower is from bambi

Offline mikeyg61

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2006, 04:34:53 pm »
Not sure but I don't think grindin gall your food until it is liquid is a good thing for your digestive system ..makes it weak and unable to digest soled food later on. also whole grain and wheat pasta is much beater for you than rice.

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2006, 07:20:10 pm »
aw man, this old thing.  >:( ...... mikey, frednottingham (the original poster) apparently thought it would be fun to drop in from the outer galaxy, post some rubbish and fly away in his UFO  - don't give his post an ounce of your mental energy. it would be nice if this thread is locked - jmho

Offline ryeguy

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2006, 03:51:52 pm »
I love this post. It proves that Einstein was right. ' I'm not sure if the Universe is never ending, but the stupidity of man certainly may be.' ( Or just about, I forgot the exact quotation but that's the jist of it)

Offline simon2

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2006, 06:26:52 pm »
Why does food have to be steamed and why all mushed up a puree? Many food-fanatics believe all food should be raw (Does this include Sushi?)
I agree with you about cutting down coffee, alcohol, bread and pasta, but think on the whole your diet is a little too self-conscious.
Could you explain how you feel better on it, or is it 100% to raise your blood count (immune system)?
Is it not possible to be well and eat more or less normally?
Simon2

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.