Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:12:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 622
Total: 622

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIVer Charged with Bio-Terrorism  (Read 3397 times)

Offline tednlou2

HIVer Charged with Bio-Terrorism
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:44:13 pm »
I'm not sure if anyone has addressed this already.  I was just reading about the man in Michigan charged with Bio-terrorism after biting someone.  I've been reading about several HIVers lately being charged with crimes related to HIV.

Where does this end?  I don't know the situation in this case.  If someone grabbed me, I'd probably try to bite them to get them off me.  What if you throw a kleenex in the trash, but someone walks in front of it and gets hit by it?  Dr. Henry on thebody.com recently said it was possible to transmit HIV via tears.  Do we have to be careful where we cry? 

What about H1N1 or seasona flu.  Those are viruses that kill thousands every year.  Will people infected with the flu be charged with bio-terrorism?  Will school-age kids with the flu who get into fights at school be thrown in jail?  I think this is a huge slippery slope.  I've noticed blood in my kleenex--due to being very cold and then the heat on in house.  If I don't dispose of that tissue in a bio-hazard bin, can I be charged with a crime?  Sounds silly but not really after reading about these stories.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: HIVer Charged with Bio-Terrorism
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 12:12:12 am »
Bio-terrorism? That's a new one. Do you have a link to the story?

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 12:56:25 am »
http://michiganmessenger.com/29816/state-lawmakers-question-terrorism-charges-for-hiv-positive-man

I tried to get this so you could just click on the link, but don't know what it isn't working.  It is on thebody.com website.  It is under "What's Hot in HIV/AIDS" under "Arrest of HIV-Positive People Continue; CDC must Act".  In that article is the link about the Michigan case.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 01:30:30 am »
 Dr. Henry on thebody.com recently said it was possible to transmit HIV via tears.  

Do you have a link for this by any chance? (I'm referring to what you're saying Dr. Henry said). It doesn't sound right.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:19:34 am by Inchlingblue »

Offline RapidRod

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 05:03:18 am »
only in america !
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline john33

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 05:43:01 am »
i don't think it's only america, but the american media does have a talent for reporting the rediculous

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 06:27:29 am »
Dr. Henry on thebody.com recently said it was possible to transmit HIV via tears

Dr Henry is plain wrong then

The CDC says:

"HIV has been found in saliva and tears in very low quantities from some AIDS patients. It is important to understand that finding a small amount of HIV in a body fluid does not necessarily mean that HIV can be transmitted by that body fluid. HIV has not been recovered from the sweat of HIV-infected persons. Contact with saliva, tears, or sweat has never been shown to result in transmission of HIV."

Edwin Bernard reports the Michagan case at length here:

http://criminalhivtransmission.blogspot.com/2009/11/us-michigan-bite-man-charged-under-anti.html
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline jinghua

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 11:19:59 pm »
Wow...what a world??!!

Jing Hua
Live started to change...i wish i can have a better life...

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 01:26:14 am »
QUESTION TO DR. HENRY.  I DIDN'T THINK HIV WAS IN TEARS.  IF IT IS CONSIDERED NOT ENOUGH TO INFECT SOMEONE, THEN I KINDA THINK WHAT HE SAID COULD SCARE A LOT OF PEOPLE. 

Eye Exam
Dec 11, 2009

Why does my optometrist ask/need to know my HIV status or if I am taking any meds or HAART?

Advertisement    Response from Dr. Henry

There is still a possibility that your tears could contain HIV virus. All health care offices should be practicing universal precaution which should diminish any chance for infection but it's still considered appropriate to inform all health care workers about HIV status. Also, HIV+ patients can have some eye conditions that occur more often in the setting of HIV infection than in the general population so it is helpful in making a proper diagnosis (such as forms of viral retinitis or conjunctivitis). KH

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.