Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:39:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773201
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 525
Total: 527

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Sorry if this is in the wrong part, just curious if anyone here was a Doctor?  (Read 25846 times)

Offline midgeure

Sorry to have to ask and bother people on here? But would be really grateful if anyone could help me with this?

I was at work and a guy cut his finger, he immediatly swung back and I ended up with blood on my face...I dont know if any went into my mouth or my eyes? I dont think so? I went and washed my face right away. What do you think the risk is of catching HIV if he had it?

Thanks

Neil

Offline RapidRod

Re: Blood on face?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 08:13:50 pm »
Zero. No risk at all.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 08:27:59 pm »
You are worrying needlessly. HIV is a fragile virus. If it were that easily transmitable we would have known long before your experience and the epidemic would be even worse than it is.

There's no cause for concern nor for testing over this incident.
Andy Velez

Offline midgeure

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 09:15:41 pm »
Thanks very much for that!

So even if there had been a speck of bloood that had gotten into my mouth or eye that I didnt notice?

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 11:43:00 pm »
Midge

Still no risk.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline midgeure

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 06:35:09 pm »
OK thanks! But if I did get a bit of blood into my mouth isnt there something called the Music membrane in the mouth and it a drop of blood gets onto that it can cause HIV?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 06:55:57 pm »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 07:13:22 pm »
Midge

Again you did not have a risk for HIV,  saliva is very good at destroying HIV, specific enzymes present in saliva mean HIV is not transmitted in saliva...and the word you are looking for is "Mucous Membrane"

As Rod said posting continuously over a No-Risk situation will get you a 28 dayTime Out...and we don't want to see that happening.

Jan
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 07:15:06 pm by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline midgeure

Does the P24 Antigen test work with HIV 2?
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 10:58:31 am »
I have heard that the P24 Antigen test does not work for the HIV 2 infection as this strain of the virus doesn't produce P24 antigen? Is this true? Would most appreciate any info?

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 11:06:34 am by midgeure »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 11:35:11 am »
I've merged your threads. Please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread.

Have you had an incident other than the non-risky one which brought you here that is causing you to consider testing?
Andy Velez

Offline midgeure

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 11:39:48 am »
OK thanks.

No still the same incident. I guess that I was thinking of getting an Antigen test as the guy who cut himself is from West Africa but I read that Antigen cant be detected in HIV 2? Is that correct?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 11:45:59 am »
You don't need any kind of test because as you have been told repeatedly you were never at risk.

You're allowing your fears to busily take over and come up with all kinds of ideas about tests that have no validity whatsoever.

What you need to do is to get on with your life. And if you can't let go of this unfounded fear then get yourself some professional help to deal with it. This is ignorance and fear at work on you and nothing to do with a real HIV risk.

We can't help you with that in this setting.

Andy Velez

Offline midgeure

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 12:41:00 pm »
Thanks! And yes your totally right! I dont know why this incident has gripped me around the throat and wont let me go! No matter how much yourself and others have said I wasnt at risk? Its totally taken over my life, cant eat, sleep or anthing and Im embarrased to say this. I have booked an appointment for some CBT therapy to deal with this fear I have right now?!

Im seeking more information to give me peace of mind somehow?! I keep thinking if I understand how I wasnt at risk form a professional point of view then that will take the fear away?

Do you know what the awnser to that question is that I asked about HIV 2 not being able to be detected by the P24 though? So sorry to have to ask you?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 02:46:53 pm »
midge,

The p24 antigen test is only useful in the first week or so of infection. That means this is a moot point for you as you are already past that point.

You didn't have a risk as you've been repeatedly told. Keep posting about this no risk incident and you will be given a time out.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline midgeure

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 03:52:10 pm »
OK thanks for that Ann. OK I wont talk about the incident what happened again!

OK thanks for explaining about the Antigen test. Does the Antigen test also detect HIV 2 as well as HIV 1? Or is HIV 2 Antigen not possible to detect?

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 08:31:59 pm »
You won't talk about this again but ask a question?
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 09:34:15 pm »
Midge,

You don't have hiv. Get over it.

Keep posting questions relating to your NO RISK incident and you'll be timed out.

This is your last warning.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline midgeure

From the UK?
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 10:09:30 pm »
I was just interesed in knowing what testing is mainly used over there? ie 2nd, 3rd or 4th generation?

The Duo isnt approved for use over there is it either?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 11:05:02 am »
Mid,

I removed the above post, which you posted in the Research forum, and placed it in your existing thread in this forum, which is the ONLY place you should be posting. If you'd bothered to read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you'd know this. If you post outside this thread again, you'll be given a time out.

I don't know why you're still fretting about tests - you don't need to test. It doesn't matter what generation is used as all are valid at the three month point, which is when you can get a conclusive result when there has been an actual risk. YOU DIDN'T HAVE A RISK.

Keep posting about this no risk incident and you WILL be timed out. This is your LAST warning!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline midgeure

Cunnilingus?
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 07:01:06 pm »
I have just had a Cunnilingus incident. I have looked through what you have said previously and realise theres no risk...But I wanted to ask where do they get the figure of 0.5 per 10,000 exposures or is that not for Cunnilingus or for Cunnilingus with blood or something else? Or maybe there isn't even a percentage given for the risk of HIV for Cunnilingus as it would be too difficult even for the the ultra conservative to come up with?

Thanks guys?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 08:15:40 pm »
Please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in the same thread. I have merged your latest with your previous one.

We're not interested in stats and playing with numbers here in the way that you seem to enjoy wasting time on.   

You "had a cunnilingus incident." Does that means someone went down on you. That was absolutely no risk for transmission of HIV to you? Period. 
Andy Velez

Offline midgeure

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 10:12:54 pm »
OK thanks.

I know your not interested in stas and figures but I was just wondering where the CDC came up with 0.5 per 10,000 exposures figure from as you Andy and Rod and the others here are very intelligent and knowlegable people and I know you know the awnser? but thats fair enough if you dont want to tell me.

Well what happened is I didnt recieve cunnilingus but I gave it, sorry I didnt make that clear. I actually met a girl at my work, and we ended up kissing and I gave her a couple of minutes of unprotected Cunnilingus on her yesterday. Shes not from a high risk group and has a 3 young children and has only had a 3 partners before me. She wasnt on her period or was there any blood or cut that I saw, and I have very good orgal hygine and hadnt brushed my teeth for a about 4 hours before hand. I didnt go deep and used alot of saliva. Do I need to test over this or can I just forget it?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 05:19:46 am »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline midgeure

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2009, 07:42:58 am »
Rod mate! I havent posted continuesly over this new incident. I also had the qustion of I was wondering where the CDC came up with 0.5 per 10,000 exposures figure.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2009, 09:07:10 am »
Listen, you're just trying to get some more handholding in by tossing in this business about CDC stats. We don't get into that kind of quantifying here. It's not helpful because it doesn't answer the specifics of someone's risk or lack of. When there has been a real risk only a test at the proper time is going to give the needed answer and that means having to wait to do that.

As for your latest concern, your saliva has over a dozen elements which are very effective in preventing the transmission of viable HIV. There's no need for testing nor for further concern about that incident.

Use condoms consistently for vaginal and anal intercourse and you will be well protected in terms of potential sexual risk for HIV. It really is that simple.

You're walking right at the edge of a Time Out here so don't be popping back with more about this is my warning.
Andy Velez

Offline midgeure

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 09:21:47 pm »
OK I have reposted on my orginal thread Rod..heres my question.

I have been having protected sex like you have all advised me too do...never have had a break or a split or anything...but I was told this

'Latex condoms can have naturally occurring holes which are at least 50 times larger and up to 500 times larger than the AIDS virus.'

Please could someone explain if this is untrue, then how. ie how much smaller are the holes in a latex condom than the HIV virus is?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 09:26:02 pm by midgeure »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 09:24:05 pm »
WRONG!!!!!

Latex condoms, when used consistently and correctly, are highly effective in
preventing transmission of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. In addition, correct
and consistent use of latex condoms can reduce the risk of other sexually
transmitted diseases (STDs), including discharge and genital ulcer diseases.
While the effect of condoms in preventing human papilloma virus (HPV) infection
is unknown, condom use has been associated with a lower rate of cervical
cancer, an HPV-associated disease. Laboratory studies have demonstrated that latex condoms provide an essentially impermeable barrier to particles the size of STD pathogens.

Offline midgeure

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 09:27:50 pm »
Thanks for the reply. How much smaller are the holes in a latex condom compared to the HIV virus?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 09:29:23 pm »
Impermeable.....

Offline midgeure

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2009, 09:34:07 pm »
Thanks, is there some sort of test done on latex condoms that make sure than any holes that are there are much smaller than the HIV virus?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 09:39:32 pm by midgeure »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2009, 09:41:25 pm »
You kidding? Condoms are listed as Medicial Devices and are quality controlled regulated by the FDA.

Offline midgeure

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2009, 09:44:49 pm »
Nope, just wondering if

a) Latex condoms have holes in them?

b) if they do, then do they do some kind of test on them to make sure the holes arnt big enough for the HIV virus to pass though?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2009, 09:49:30 pm »
Are you reading and comphending or are you just typing to see yourself type. MOVE ON

Offline midgeure

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2009, 12:35:25 pm »
OK, so to clear this up finally, latex condoms are tested to make sure they have NO microscopic holes in them at all???

and that this statement is untrue

'Latex condoms can have naturally occurring holes which are at least 50 times larger and up to 500 times larger than the AIDS virus.'
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:37:37 pm by midgeure »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2009, 12:46:41 pm »
That statement wasn't true. Move on.

Offline midgeure

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2009, 01:03:43 pm »
OK that statement isnt true thanks, great.

My other question is do latex condoms have ANY microscopic holes in them at all???

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2009, 01:06:10 pm »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2009, 01:12:07 pm »
Midge,

The "hole in condom" thing is a myth spread primarily by the Catholic Church. They don't want ANYONE to use condoms and this is just their highlly unscientific scare tactic.

There are no holes in condoms - except the big one at one end where you insert your penis. End of story. Don't keep posting about this or you WILL be given that time out Rodney warned you about.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline midgeure

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2009, 01:16:23 pm »
Thanks Ann, I didnt realise that condoms dont have ANY microscopic holes in them at all...but I do now. Thanks for telling me. I wonder how they test that..Ive heard they do it electronically, as an electron is smaller than the HIV virus.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2009, 01:26:18 pm »
Go look it up, we're done here with your condom discussion.

Offline midgeure

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2009, 07:30:25 pm »
Rod, well the fact is that the rubber in latex condoms has voids about 5 microns in size, while the AIDS virus is only 0.1 micron Dr. C. Michael Roland says.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2009, 07:35:26 pm »
The size of the particle is around 0.0001mm big difference if you know anything about math.

Offline midgeure

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2009, 07:45:21 pm »
The size of the particle is around 0.0001mm big difference if you know anything about math.

Yep and the rubber comprising latex condoms has intrinsic voids [pores] about 5 microns (0.00002 inches) in size. Contrarily, the AIDS virus is only 0.1 micron (4 millionths of an inch) in size. Since this is a factor of 50 smaller than the voids inherent in a latex condom, the virus can readily pass through.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2009, 07:48:07 pm »
Your so called Dr. doesn't know what the hell he's talking about and neither do you.

Offline midgeure

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2009, 07:58:28 pm »
Your so called Dr. doesn't know what the hell he's talking about and neither do you.

This is based on the Editor of Rubber Chemistry and Technology, Dr. C. Michael Roland of the
U.S. Naval Research Laboratory in Washington D.C., spoke about his
research on "intrinsic flaws" in latex rubber condoms and surgical gloves
(published in Rubber World, June, 1993).

Fact is the AIDS virus is 50 times smaller that the voids inherent in a latex condom, so the virus can readily pass through the condom should it find a passage.

Offline RapidRod

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:26:10 pm by RapidRod »

Offline midgeure

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2009, 08:49:08 pm »
I am looking at them but NONE of them mention anything about the pores and the sizes of them in latex.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 03:43:46 am by Ann »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2009, 08:59:07 pm »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2009, 09:04:22 pm »
By posting a denialists website you will be banned permanently.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2009, 09:36:42 pm »
Midgeure, listen up!

Cease and desist right now with this stuff. It is not going to be tolerated. Any more of it and you will be banned.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.