Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:01:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 358
Total: 359

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Blood on cotton ball and band aid - not mine  (Read 4505 times)

Offline allank

• Standard
Blood on cotton ball and band aid - not mine
« on: March 26, 2013, 02:28:43 pm »
Hello,

I hope the experts can help me out. I went to get a routine HIV test done at a local clinic while I was in Kenya. The syringe was new, however after drawing the blood the nurse put a cotton ball on my injected area to cover the blood....I noticed blood on top of the cotton ball. I panicked and quickly asked if i can get another cotton ball from the tray. She said yes and I quickly removed the first cotton ball with the blood on top and grabbed another one and applied it to my injected area. Shortly after she put a band aid on it and I walked to the reception to pay for the test. Upon walking home I looked at my band aid and it was red on top of the band aid. Not the outer top part that is exposed to the air, but on the inner top part of the band aid. This to me was completely weird as blood shouldn't be there but only on the cotton ball directly covering the injected part.

Now I'm freaking out and believing this was someone else's blood....the physics don't make sense.

If it was someone else's HIV + blood, and put on my injected wound in the form of the fresh HIV + blood on the cotton ball and fresh HIV + blood on the inside of the band aid then am I at risk of contracting HIV?

I would really appreciate if the experts could answer as soon as possible. Do I need to test over this incident. I am well educated in regards to HIV vectors and know that one cannot contract HIV from environmental surfaces. However this situation seems to be different as it's seems blood to blood.

I feel like when I took the first cotton ball out, there was already blood on top from someone there previous. So when i took it off and put the second cotton ball on, I did not see the top as i was applying pressure to the injected site with my index finger. The nurse then put a band aid on top of the second cotton ball and I removed my index finger. I did not bleed up the band aid, as the second cotton ball contained the bleeding. But when i looked at the band aid some 5 minutes later, I see blood on the top inside part of the band aid. So when I removed the band aid altogether on my walk, I clearly saw that blood was contained on the inside of the cotton ball, and it did not bleed out on the band aid or on the other side (top part) of the cotton ball. I feel like I may have touched the blood on the top part of the first cotton ball and when I reached to grab a second one, I transferred that blood and that is how blood remained on the top part of the second cotton ball, and on top of my injected wound.

I don't know if I'm making sense, but do you understand the above?

Any comments and assessments are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Blood on cotton ball and band aid - not mine
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 02:41:22 pm »
Hi Allank . I have read your post very carefully and I can safely say that you DID NOT have a risk and you do not need to test over this incident .

HIV is a fragile virus and is rendered unable to infect within seconds of leaving the confines of the human body . Even if the cotton ball were to be applied to your injection site within seconds it still would not infect you with HIV , that isn't the way HIV is contracted . HIV isn't spread by blood from counter tops and surfaces so you can relax and put this out of your mind . 

If you use condoms for vaginal and anal sex and use them correctly you will avoid exposure to HIV . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline allank

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 02:50:21 pm »
Thank you so much Jeff for your assessment.  I feel so relieved.  Can any of the other experts give their input as well...Jkin, Ann, Andy??

Thanks again Jeff, I really appreciate your time.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 03:15:27 pm »
How many votes do you need? You didn't have a risk for transmitting viable HIV. It's a fragile virus and doesn't get passed in a transmissable form through the events in your incident.

Let it go and get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.