Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 05:02:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 192
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 134
Total: 134

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: knee pain...  (Read 13404 times)

Offline skeebo1969

knee pain...
« on: January 02, 2007, 08:06:01 am »

For about 6 months I have been suffering from pain in my knee.   I had it in my elbow also but that no longer hurts.  Both were  in the joint.   The elbow pain, during the time, was bad enough that it caused me a hard time in picking up things as light as a dishwashing soap bottle.   Both would come and go sporadically.   My ID doc in Miami prescribed me Naproxen 500 mg twice daily and that really seemed to help.

The elbow pain went away totally and is no longer an issue. 

The knee pain, on the otherhand, is getting progressively worse.  In the beginning it only hurt when trying to stand from a seated position or when I was laying on my side and both knees would touch.  It is on the inside part of the joint.   Sometimes it would make a slight clicking noise when standing.  I've never injured my right knee and always thought my left might give me problems due to a motorcycle injury I suffered when I was younger.

Here for the last week the pain in my knee is different.  It does not hurt so much when standing and only gives me a hint of pain during the day.  The nights, however, have become unbearable.  The Naproxen offers little relief.  I've even tried those creams for joint and muscle pain to no avail.   Last night was by far the worse ever.  I woke up three times because of it and had to wait for it to subside before going back to sleep, which is difficult for me to do once I wake up.   It hurts regardless of what position I sleep in and only does so when I sleep, not  laying down awake.  On a scale of 1-10 I would give it an 8 and I generally have a high thresh hold for pain, but not like this!

It's weird, but both the elbow and knee pain were generating only on my right side.   I brought it up to my ID doc who did not even take the time to look at it, but did give me a referral to an orthopedics doctor.   My case manager quickly nixed that though by stating that they did not have the funds due to only having Title II funds in this area, the head nurse also let me know there was nothing that could be done on their part because of this.   She suggested I go to the emergency room even though I lack health insurance.  I have not gone because I cannot afford an X ray let alone a hospital visit.

Could this be HIV related? 

I am a little bummed because I really have been feeling a lot better health wise and wanted to start walking so I could get myself into jogging shape.   I also have been feeling so much better that I wanted to start back working.  I won't be able to do so on 2-3 hours of sleep though :-\

If anyone could give any advise or knowledge on the subject it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: knee pain...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 08:31:37 am »
Hey Tommy,

Do you have sore eyes and pain when you whiz?

MtD
(Who is quite serious)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 08:45:59 am »
Hey Tommy,

MtD
(Who is quite serious)

Are you serious Matty?    I have sleepy eyes and have whizzed quite a bit when I drink lots of water, but no pain in either one.   It all started months before my unprotected sex of recent.  Recent STD panel showed nothing.... as far as the little bugs go at least ;)

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 08:52:10 am »
Quite serious doll.

Joint pain, particularly in the knee and elbow can be indicative of Reiters Syndrome. But that's always accompanied by conjuncitivitis and urethritis.  Given a clear STD screen, we can rule that out. Reiters Syndrome is caused by gono.

Have you any other symptoms? Rash, fever, etc?

MtD

Offline Lis

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 09:39:50 am »
I had alot of joint pain early on.. the doc told me it was HIV related arthropathy (I'm sure i spelled that wrong)  It has gotten better as my CD4 count has gone up.. make sure you talk to your doctor about it.. it could be alot of differant things..

lisbeth
poz 1986....

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 10:32:44 am »

Matty,

While hoping you were being playful, I was  alarmed when you said you were quite serious.  Sorry for wishfully making lite of your words.  I have not suffered any fevers or rash and must add that since mid November when I started the meds I have not felt better.   I even added a solid 15 lbs in all the right places, but this increasing pain during the past week is getting so annoying.   I'm afraid I might have to bite the bullet and just go to the ER as suggested by the head nurse from the clinic.   Before starting the meds I can even remember my ankle on the same side giving me problems too, almost like the joint was freezing up or something.   When I was taking the Bactrim daily in the beginning, both the other ailments seemed to disappear with only the knee pain continuing.   Last week when I did the walk the knee seemed to worsen dramatically.   I was just trying to catch up on sleep missed last night and was once again awakened by the pain.  My doctor at the clinic suggested taking the Bactrim on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and only since then did it seem the knee pain progressed...  I do know it got worse after the fast paced walk last week.  I walked a little over a mile.

Lis,

I tell you this shit makes me wish I was still in Miami.  The level of care I have received since moving to the boon docks has dropped off tremendously!   I do have an appointment scheduled for the 8th which will be for lab work.   Due to regional restrictions here in Florida for Ryan White patients this clinic is my only choice.  I'm worried about their wanting to investigate this further.   My confidence in them is not very high to say the least, they seem to be more concerned with financial numbers more than anything else.  Would you believe I finally got my first bottle of Atripla through them on Saturday... you know from our conversations that would have made me miss almost a month between doses if it were not for L's help here from the forums. 

Thanks Matty and Lis....  Hearing from the two of you on this matter has made me think of this a little more seriously!

Thomas

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 10:39:37 am »
Well it might be that you're an arthritic old man like Matty. ;)

MtD
(Who knows the ravages of age!)

Offline bear60

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 10:43:32 am »
Thomas
I am so sorry to hear about your knee.  My partner Kurt and I both have various knee and joint problems. His being the worst.  He has osteoporosis and arthritis, bone spurs and stress fractures, loss of cartiledge and rotator cuff tears...you name it. I have had pinched nerves and work related injuries.  
I put ice packs on most things.
I get accupuncture.
I sleep with a pillow under or between my legs.
I take my fish oil supplements.
Kurt...well, he gets those injections in his knees...first it was cortisone...now its an artificial cartilege they put in there.
He takes pain killers to get sleep.
He sees my accupuncturist.
He has had surgery on both knees. and on his rotator cuff in a shoulder.
What seems to me is that you should have seen the orthopedist.
Modified to add:  I was just reading about some of your sexual exploits and I think maybe knee pads would be a good idea.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 11:08:22 am by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline ademas

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 10:44:41 am »
You might also ask your doctor to test for RA factor (rheumatoid arthritis) in your next bloodwork.
I have the knee, hip, and elbow pain, too, although it's not as troublesome as the toe and ankle pain, and it is arthrits.  
Is it just one knee?

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 11:11:20 am »

Bear and Matty...  I hope this is just an age issue :-\   My paranoia is starting to mount I must say.   Matty you know from our past chats that's always been an issue of mine anyways, so that is nothing new.   I just feel so limited to what can be done to delve into what it could be.   Bear I just popped a fish oil caplet in desperation...lol :o

Offline bear60

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 11:13:39 am »
Thomas...
I still think a good investment would be knee pads. lol

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 11:14:19 am »
You might also ask your doctor to test for RA factor (rheumatoid arthritis) in your next bloodwork.
I have the knee, hip, and elbow pain, too, although it's not as troublesome as the toe and ankle pain, and it is arthrits.  
Is it just one knee?

Yes just one knee...   I'll write that down so I know what to ask her for at the appointment on January 8th.   Hopefully they can at least do that.  Thanks Ademas.

Thomas

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 11:14:59 am »
Thomas...
I still think a good investment would be knee pads. lol

LMAO!!   Very funny indeed ;D

Offline bear60

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 11:17:03 am »
No offense.....but my experience is that your knees get sore from a romp in the hay. Kitchen floors are the worst place to try it.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 11:19:38 am »

Bear you know I would never get offended at anything you say...  No offense your the grandfather I never had... J/K!

Besides I've been told I am a honorary member of the G club... as long as there are no dues or expenses count me in my friend!

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 01:53:05 pm »
Hey Tommy,

MtD
(Who is quite serious)

Oh My Goddess, it's Matty. *squeals with excitement*

Thomas,

Not trying to be funny but could it just be that you are getting older, my friend? I know I have developed some aches and pains in my legs, feet, and arms. I'm due to get tested to see if it is neuropathy. Could it be that? I don't know, I'm just throwing things out there. I am glad you are feeling better.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 01:56:49 pm »

Queen,

To answer your question, in all honesty I am 37 in earth's rotation of the sun (sorry stole that from Joseph), but  have the tight body and mind of an 18 year old.   Perhaps the maturity of an 18 year old also...haha!

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 02:00:51 pm »
I am 37 in earth's rotation of the sun (sorry stole that from Joseph)

...freely given...    :)

-joseph

Offline Longislander

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2007, 02:10:58 pm »
tight body and mind of an 18 year old

Thomas, you need to stop teasing us............ ;)
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline joemutt

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2007, 11:58:15 pm »
Hi Thomas!, Could it be that you have one leg shorter than the other? as time goes by the inside knee from the shorter leg gets worn out from adjusting all the time, around 40 being the age that this starts to be acute.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 02:31:07 am »
Hi Thomas!, Could it be that you have one leg shorter than the other? as time goes by the inside knee from the shorter leg gets worn out from adjusting all the time, around 40 being the age that this starts to be acute.

I've been told that I am bow legged, but truth be told I don't think so.  Maybe you are on to something..

Offline Poz Brit

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 10:28:56 am »
Thomas, you're a Capricorn, your supposed to have joint pain, it comes with the sign.
I am also a Capricorn and have the mother of all joint pain, GOUT, unfortunately not just plain one joint at a time gout but Poly Articulate Gout (multi joint at one time gout) also Osteoarthritis in all my leg and feet joints.
Have you considered Gout? It usually flares up at nigh when asleep or perhaps the cartilage in the knee has worn?

John(UK) 

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 11:13:39 am »

I had another bad night last night as far as sleep is concerned.   I only got 3 hours of sleep.   I did take a nap (8am-10:15) and was once again awakened by the pain.   I just do not get it.  It only comes on during my sleep for some reason.   I am really holding back from going to a the hospital and hate to think it is going to come to this.   I can only imagine how expensive this is going to be.

I am a little bummed about all this because I have been feeling work ready these last few weeks.   Now I am getting this sporadic sleep and taking naps during the day which is just fucking up my sleep cycle all together.   I hate napping during the day, it makes me feel worthless.  I'm going to force myself to stay awake for the rest of the day.   

My spirits have really been up and to be quite honest the knee just has me slightly irked if anything ( I know I said bummed).    I don't think it will affect me work wise, but then again I do have a legal issue and am still waiting the outcome from the judges orders I had to satisfy.   I was hoping to just wait that out and maybe have the arrears wiped out..  I don't know I am torn about that issue.   Kind of want to just start working.   My clinic still does not have my ADAP issue resolved and can just imagine if I start working now the mess it will get into.  I'm just afraid at this point that if I start working that either the lack of sleep due to the pain or my health in general will have a setback.   I still have not had any labs done since my last set in November which showed a Cd4 of 137...  I feel like I am bitching now and things really are not that bad for me really.   I have not felt this good both physically or mentally in months..

I had to satisfy the courts order to apply for disability and that was due to the child support issue.   I have not and will not even go into detail what has been going on with ex-wife #1, but let's just leave it at I have had to totally separate myself from that whole thing..

With the exception of the pain from the knee at night...  Things really are not that bad.  They are not really.  I have found happiness and have been really been feeling well concerning my depression...

Damn I am bouncing around in this thread.  I hope I have made a sliver of sense.   Maybe it's the lack of sleep.  I just do not know which way I should go to be honest, but then again feel like I do have the answers here.   If this damn knee could just stop hurting at night and keeping me up I could do what I want.

John(UK),

I've read about the Gout.  Ran across that online while trying to figure out what this could be.   I have been led to believe there is little my clinic can do to help me with this matter.  I guess ultimately it will take a hospital visit to find out what is truly behind this..

I'm not doing bad guys really, just tired.  Well actually real tired.  I've only gotten 6 hrs total of sleep the last two days.  What fucks with my mind that right now the pain is totally absent, but as soon as I sleep it wakes me up!

Confusing myself here :-[

Thomas

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.