Main Forums > Living With HIV

Timely re-issue.

<< < (2/4) > >>

David_CA:
Thanks for posting that, Tim... especially The Denver Principles.  I'm somewhat lacking in my AIDS activism history, which is one of the reasons I appreciate this post.  I generally learn something from the majority of your posts. 

The next statements are my opinion.  I've not been discriminated, to my knowledge, for being gay or HIV+ (yet?). One thing that seems to separate HIV+ gays from HIV+ straight folks is that gays are more likely to be accustomed to discrimination, to having to fight for rights, to have been treated as a 'lesser' person for being gay.  It doesn't mean it doesn't effect us any more or any less.  I think that homosexuality is sort of a common bond, where as heterosexuality isn't quite the same.  I mean, we go to gay bars, we have gay pride parades, I go to a gay campground, etc.  None of these exclude straights, but, obviously they are meant for gays and lesbians.  We do separate ourselves based on our sexuality, whether it's for security, comfort, whatever.  I guess it separates us in how we think about a disease, too.  What we can't do is to allow it to divide us in demanding better treatment from the governments, to allow issues specific to each group overshadow the real issue - HIV.  Unfortunately, it seems to me that until HIV is a household word, the stigma won't be lessened any.  The bad part is that for it to become an everyday word, a lot more people are likely to have to become infected.  Hopefully, I'm wrong, but with the current thinking in this country, if something doesn't effect an individual, the individual isn't likely to be concerned with it.  When that changes, the HIV stigma will change. 

David

Joe K:
Tim,

As always, you've got your finger on the pulse of these issues, but I fear that the patient is on life-support.  I'm baffled about why more people do not demand the services they need, even if that means civil protest or getting into someones face to promote your needs.  I find it depressing that pozzies have been so beaten down, that we now accept peanuts.

Now, more than ever, is the time for all positive people to band together and demand change in our HIV services delivery, because the ASOs of today, are barely shells of their previous functions.  We just had our longest running ASO (22 years) lose funding and close because of embezzlement and a board of directors lacking any spines at all, to face the tough issues.  What exactly did they think would happen when the County audited their books, including the cooked ones and discovered their gross mis-management???  So now you have 2 other ASOs trying to absorb the clients from Center One and so who and what suffers?  The positive people and their health care delivery.

While I understand our anger and frustration, it does nothing when directed inward.  The change that we seek must be driven by our voices, yet fewer people get involved each year, so there remains so much more to do, with fewer advocates.

Lastly, to you David, I disagree that you have never been discriminated against because you are gay.  Surely, you can't mean that?  No discrimination?  Can you marry the partner of your choice?  Are you provided the same protections under our laws, as straight citizens?  Are you viewed as an equal citizen in this country?

If you answered no to any of the above, then you might want to revisit the definition of discrimination.  Obviously you can only answer no to my questions and the reason that you don't have those equal rights, comes down to one reason and one reason only, because you are gay.  So if that's not discrimination, please tell me what is???

David_CA:

--- Quote from: killfoile on July 17, 2006, 04:10:01 pm ---Lastly, to you David, I disagree that you have never been discriminated against because you are gay.  Surely, you can't mean that?  No discrimination?  Can you marry the partner of your choice?  Are you provided the same protections under our laws, as straight citizens?  Are you viewed as an equal citizen in this country?

If you answered no to any of the above, then you might want to revisit the definition of discrimination.  Obviously you can only answer no to my questions and the reason that you don't have those equal rights, comes down to one reason and one reason only, because you are gay.  So if that's not discrimination, please tell me what is???

--- End quote ---

Ok, Joe.  I give up.  You're right.  I'm discriminated against just like every other fag is.  Right?  Let's see... I haven't thought of marriage until lately, due to a variety of reasons.  None have to do with being gay.  Do I have the same protections?  I know, in some ways, I don't.  I've not needed them yet, so I don't feel like I've been discriminated against.  Am I viewed as an equal citizen?  I don't know; you tell me.  Tell me how being gay has kept me from being hired or promoted (it hasn't).  Describe how much trouble I've had with housing (I haven't).  Let me tell you how I've been denied proper medical help (I haven't).  Now, I'll tell you about all the friends I lost when I came out 8 years ago (I lost none).  I hesitated even to post what I did, which was meant as a very positive post, without a lot more disclaimers.  I thought that when I said "The next statements are my opinion.  I've not been discriminated, to my knowledge, for being gay or HIV+ (yet?)." pretty much covered this.  I also used 'yet' in my post, which implies that I expect to be discriminated against at some point.  I think that what you're saying is that potential discrimination is the same thing as actual discrimination.  As much as anybody, I want to be treated equally.  Please give me a little more credit.

David

david25luvit:
Tim...

As always you are a wealth of information.  I thank you for re-visiting this issue and for reminding us all that HIV affects everyone.  The entire human race!

Joe K:
David, (sorry Tim for the slight hijack)

I must apologize as I did not read your response correctly, so I do see your viewpoint and if I implied anything that you found hurtful, again me bad.  I suppose that some days, I just get so tired of all the bullshit we face, that I read your response wrong and you are right, it's just as important to illustrate our acceptance as that helps people continue to fight for their own particular rights.  I expect that we will have a number of spirited discussions in Montreal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version