Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:03:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 194
Total: 194

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

Should we keep Member Ratings/Stars (like "newbie," etc.)?

Yes
7 (9.2%)
No, get rid of them
59 (77.6%)
I don't care
10 (13.2%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: June 14, 2006, 09:08:07 am

Author Topic: Should we keep Member Ratings?  (Read 17295 times)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
Should we keep Member Ratings?
« on: June 09, 2006, 09:08:07 am »
Okay, as promised, here's your chance to decide if we keep the forums member's rankings, like "Newbie" (1 star), "Jr. Member" (2 stars), "Full Member" (3 stars), etc.  (FYI, no one has reach the top level yet:  "Hero Member" (5 stars), which requires 500+ posts.)

Personally, I'm voting "No, get rid of them," but I'll let the majority rule on this one.  The poll will run for 5 days.

Peter Staley
Founder
AIDSmeds.com

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Should we keep Member Ratings?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 10:11:09 am »
Hi Peter,

Is it possible to replace the "newbie" etc with date joined information like on the old forum?  That would be far more helpful - the "newbie" stuff is useless.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 10:27:02 am »
"Newbie" sounds childish.  Get rid of it.

robert

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 10:57:34 am »
"Newbie" sounds childish.  Get rid of it.

robert

Hey, I'm still a Newbie!  Then again, I've been known to be pretty childish at times, too.   ;D

Offline Steven

• A Place To Start
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 01:17:18 pm »
Heck I don't want to be clasified as a newbie any more then as a SR Member like some others are in this thread already!

Offline Oscar

• 20 Years POZ
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 04:53:30 pm »
Doesn't matter to me. I rarely pay attention to it.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 07:33:40 pm »
Heck I don't want to be clasified as a newbie any more then as a SR Member like some others are in this thread already!

~hangs head in shame~

Yes, I know, I need to get out more.

~sigh~

::)

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 07:54:56 pm »
I see no valid use for it, but I do like Ann's idea of posting our join dates.
I originally joined Nov.14th(Ithink) 2004.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 07:55:12 pm »
well, since this vote seems to be a done deal, I shall spam my way to hero status :)

Offline Cliff

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 08:23:24 pm »
Yep....looks like the caste system is a thing of the past.  Though I don't think "I don't care" should have have been an option.  It should either be a thumbs up or a thumbs down.  You don't care...then you don't vote. 

People who vote I don't care, are like folks who vote (in the US) for the Libertarian or Green parties.  What a waste!   ;D

Cliff

- Who also voted against the caste system in the unoffical Newt, I got a zapper for you Matt, poll.

P.S.- Can we get rid of that useless "buddy" function.  It does nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  I made Rab my buddy and nothing happened (other than his name was in bold).  That's it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 08:35:28 pm by Cliff »

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 09:46:37 pm »
well cliffy, that is what it is supposed to do.   

put people's names in bold.   I guess i just don't understand becuase i don't get why people would be against a fun thing like rankings... but i suppose if you are against bold font, you should petition for all bold font to go away.

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 10:06:06 pm »
>:(Well Dah?

I hit yes when I wanted to vote Get rid of them.  >:(

Terry (who's been confused lately)

Offline David_CA

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 11:31:46 pm »
I see no valid use for it, but I do like Ann's idea of posting our join dates.
I originally joined Nov.14th (I think) 2004.

Lisa, we can do that, to an extent, ourselves.  You just add it to your profile.  Personally, I'd like people to add their original join date (like I did!).  It gives a feel for how long that user's been around on the forums. 

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006, 12:43:42 am »
i agree if it would help the mods, which it will... then replace it with something useful.

I'm still in favor of the rankings... but since they are going bye bye... put something better there that is useful.

I'll still attain 'hero' rank and be the only ever person to do so here. :P
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 12:49:56 am by DingoBoi »

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2006, 01:58:35 am »
Thank you David. I know I can change it in my profile, but thought I would leave my 'formerly known as' title in place a while longer, for some of our old friends that are still finding their way here.
It was nice to see Johnny, and GBL speak today.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 02:15:36 am »
there will NEVER be any association between the old and new forums.... technologically, I don't think it's possible to pass information between the two platforms for the forums (if there was, they would have transferred our userids)

Everything here is from scratch.   Period.  end of story.  full stop.

I would certainly like to have my previous posts recognized, but unless they go through one-by-one and modify each user account, it's impossible, and we can't expect them to do that.

this will be the second FULL WIPE that the forums have gone thru as I understand.   The old forums had a previous version of the forum that were updated, much like now, and everything was also wiped then. (at least that is my understanding)

the owners are working hard i know... implementation of a new system is never easy... and neither is the first few weeks... but luckily, we seem to be coasting smoothly with little interruption

Offline Cliff

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2006, 09:52:03 am »
well cliffy, that is what it is supposed to do.   

put people's names in bold.   I guess i just don't understand becuase i don't get why people would be against a fun thing like rankings... but i suppose if you are against bold font, you should petition for all bold font to go away.
Oh, well that's a stupid software design.  Why would I need my buddies bolded?  I thought it would do something like highlight what posts they've created recently (so I can go in and make fun of them).  But I guess no harm if it doesn't do anything, just seems like a waste of code.

No one ever properly explained why rankings are fun?  On the surface they don't seem like fun, just seems like a way to divide us.  But my complaint is that they are inaccurate.  Basing your status on how many posts you've made isn't a true reflection of someone's commitment to the forums (since it undermines those who visit here often, but don't post much).

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2006, 09:56:15 am »
'Sr. Member' was bad enough, but 'Hero Member'  is just a little too 'Superfriends' for me.
The 'Date Joined'  is fairly irrelavent since we all rejoined at about the same time. Just the same ol' post count thing would be fine with me, even though I never got the Toaster  for 1000. :'(
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline Iggy

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2006, 10:59:09 am »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:45:17 pm by Iggy »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2006, 09:08:24 pm »
The 'Date Joined'  is fairly irrelavent since we all rejoined at about the same time.

Yes, maybe the people who were already members of the old forum, but what about the people who are and will be joining for the first time from now on? The forums aren't static.

Besides, it would make my life just that little bit easier in a certain other forum... ;) Long story, won't bore y'all with the details. :D

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2006, 12:32:32 am »
But ..... without rankings, how will we know right off the bat who is better than others???

Seriously, we're looking at Lord of the Flies here.

<grin>
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline et in arcadia ego

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2006, 12:39:36 am »
Can I be Piggy? No...waiit a minute...I changed my mind...AHHHHHHHHHHHHH>>>>>???? ::)

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2006, 12:48:23 am »
But ..... without rankings, how will we know right off the bat who is better than others???

Seriously, we're looking at Lord of the Flies here.

<grin>

um... by post count which is equally displayed, just without corresponding arbitrary rank.   So I will always be better than you :P

(you know i'm kidding here..i hope)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2006, 01:16:35 am »
:) Dingo, I am not fit to lap at your water bowl :)
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2006, 01:17:54 am »
well, i'd lap at your water bowl... ferret boi.

interspecies hunchin' is fun :P

Offline Optimistic

• An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctors Away!
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2006, 02:16:50 am »
I personally don't pay much attention to it.  I think it's kinda pointless.

Justin
12/06 (Atripla): cd4 - 260; cd% - 33%; vl - 169
1/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 267; cd% - 38.1%; vl - 132
4/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 373; cd% - 33.9%; vl - <50
7/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 287; cd% - 35.8%; vl - <50
9/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 356; cd% - 39.5%; vl - <50
12/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 517

Offline chris_in_georgia

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2006, 10:48:07 am »
What about ranking based on years living with HIV?

I've been poz since 1988 (18 years). I think members who have actually lived with HIV have opinions that carry more weight than those who just tested poz 3 months ago. That would make much more sense than ranking people by how many times they post. Some people post all the time, but still never say anything of any importance - they just post to be posting.

People that remember what it was like in the 80's when meds were scarce and funerals were a weekly occurrence are able to put things into better overall perspective.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth (check is in the mail).

Chris
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 10:49:41 am by chris_in_georgia »
"I wear my life right on my sleeve. Where I've been has left it's mark on me."http://www.jodeemessina.com/music/index.html

Poz since '88 - in it for the long haul.

Offline Dennis

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2006, 11:24:19 am »
I don't entirely agree with your logic below.  This is kinda like when my grandfather used tell me how he had to walk to school uphill, in 5 feet of snow with no shoes, while fighting off bears. 

Things have changed since the 80's.  And while long term survivors do have a lot to contribute, without a doubt, the opinions of those just diagnosed or only living with HIV for a few years should not be taken any less seriously.

What about ranking based on years living with HIV?

I've been poz since 1988 (18 years). I think members who have actually lived with HIV have opinions that carry more weight than those who just tested poz 3 months ago. That would make much more sense than ranking people by how many times they post. Some people post all the time, but still never say anything of any importance - they just post to be posting.

People that remember what it was like in the 80's when meds were scarce and funerals were a weekly occurrence are able to put things into better overall perspective.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth (check is in the mail).

Chris

Offline ademas

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2006, 11:48:11 am »
I don't entirely agree with your logic below.  This is kinda like when my grandfather used tell me how he had to walk to school uphill, in 5 feet of snow with no shoes, while fighting off bears. 

Things have changed since the 80's.  And while long term survivors do have a lot to contribute, without a doubt, the opinions of those just diagnosed or only living with HIV for a few years should not be taken any less seriously.

I see both perspectives.

I tend to pay closer attention to posts by members who are long-time survivors, and who have lived through this pandemic from the beginning, because that's where I am.  I think it's just human nature to be drawn to those who share similar experience.

That said...I've also learned a lot from some of the more-recently diagnosed.  Terpie, for instance, brings so much important information to the forums, and MoltenStorm has brought up some great topics. 

Sometimes our best teacher or mentor is the person who's just a step or two ahead of us. 

I do think the member ratings and stars are pointless, and the only time I pay attention to post counts is when I'm trying to understand the dynamics of this place.  Aside from that, I could care less. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 12:27:13 pm by ademas »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2006, 11:50:23 am »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:42:54 pm by Iggy »

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2006, 12:31:07 pm »
I agree with Iggy.  But also, I was diagnosed last May, and was told I had been poz for at least ten years.  All I know is that when I got the word, I spent 7 days in the hospital, cd4 0f 21 and a viral load WAY over a million.  I guess my take on it is that I was as sick as anybody in here (newbie or oldie).  Date of diagnosis means nothing, since many of us were infected long before diagnosis time.

Honestly, I could really give a shit though

Offline carousel

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2006, 02:16:37 pm »
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 01:03:22 pm by carousel »

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2006, 07:00:51 pm »
No Peter........  Some people may post more but should we be RATED that way?  NO.
Like Ann, I would suggest adding information about members rather than ratings....
and from the vote so far, its seems most agree.
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Consumed

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2006, 05:10:49 pm »

After some of the hurtful replies on the old forum I think we should create a new rating called "Jackass".
LYS

Offline chris_in_georgia

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2006, 12:28:09 pm »
I did not mean to step on any toes of the newly diagnosed. I definitely understand that those who are recently diagnosed will identify more closely with others who are in a similar position. My point was that members who have been living a known HIV poz life for a while have more experiences to draw from when posting on certain subjects. This does not mean that the feelings or concerns of any member, regardless of when they tested,  are any more or less important than other member, but there are those here who bring more life experience in with them.

Just for the record, my 1988 poz test was the first time I had ever tested, so I don't know when I was actually exposed other than it was sometime prior to 1988. Years lived poz and not knowing it are kind of irrevelevent as far as experience of living with HIV goes.

When I first tested poz there were VERY few places to find support of any kind - and there certainly was not a world-wide accessable website where one could chat freely with others going through similar experiences. I don't think what people struggled through during the earlier years should be taken lightly. I am not thinking of myself here - I am thinking of the ones that I saw as true heroes: the ones who were fighting PCP, who had KS lesions covering thier body, who were ostresized from society, who were labeled as having the "Gay Plague", who had no hope of SSI or disability income or Medicare / Medicaid coverage, who had no "Ryan White" program, who were not even reccognized by the federal or state governments much less covered under the ADA, who got on waiting lists for hospice houses so that they could at least have a clean and dignified place to die, and who while fighting for thier lives were also fighting for the legal rights and medical opportunities that we all have today. Some may see this as "thier grandfather walking 5 miles to school, uphill in the snow both ways" - but I still see the faces and know the names and dearly miss all of those that I saw fall all around me through those years. So when I see a member here who has come through all of this and is still here today to post something on this site, I for one, pay a little more attention to what they have to say.

Expanded version of my 2 cents worth (check for 4 cents is now in the mail).

Chris
"I wear my life right on my sleeve. Where I've been has left it's mark on me."http://www.jodeemessina.com/music/index.html

Poz since '88 - in it for the long haul.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2006, 01:10:24 pm »
Date joined and post count would be enough, newbie's and hero's...... put's the focus in the wrong place (and sounds kind of silly).

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline LifeVersion2.0

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2006, 10:16:03 pm »
I haven't been around here in ages, but i do read periodically.  I agree with ann about the date joined thing.  I think that the date joined should be carried over from the old forums.  When I was worried, and I saw someone was around here for years, it helped me ease my fears.   ;D

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2006, 09:24:06 am »
Okay, the votes are in, and the polling booths have closed.  I've deleted the coding that showed Member Rankings/Stars.

As for other suggestions, like showing when you joined, or showing when you were diagnosed, there are TWO ways to post these yourselves.  You can use the "Signature" field (maximum of 500 characters allowed) in your Profile settings, which will appear at the bottom of all your posts, and/or you can use the "Personal Text" field (maximum of 50 characters allowed), which will appear directly below your avatar.

Thanks for taking part in this feature poll!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 09:49:34 am by Peter Staley »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2006, 11:46:04 am »
Thanks Peter! ;D

Matty the Damned

Offline trai

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2006, 07:22:01 pm »
Peter,

Can you remove the status from the profiles as well...since it does appear there as well?

T Rai
12/2003  Tested Neg
02/2003  Tested Neg
08/04/2004   Tested Poz
08/05/2004   514     51536       
08/23/2004   516       81600    
01/07/2005   449       27500    
07/01/2005   308       35600    
07/21/2005   527       8140    
09/15/2005   512       3950    
12/02/2005   434       0    
03/15/2006   309       0 
10/   /2006    356      0  
01/08/2007   311       7899    
05/10/2007   345       9133    KS Diagnosis Started Meds for First time.
07/05/2007   692       793
10/   /2007    626       0
01    /2008    ???        0
07/08/2008   6something  0
08/   /2008  Stopped meds

06/2010   ???      0

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2006, 07:36:05 pm »
Peter,

Can you remove the status from the profiles as well...since it does appear there as well?

T Rai

Good catch -- I hadn't noticed that.  I just changed everyone to a "member", so that's what will show in their profiles under "Position:".

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.