Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:03:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773197
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 479
Total: 481

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What would you have wanted on your diagnosis day?  (Read 4980 times)

Offline jessie_tr

What would you have wanted on your diagnosis day?
« on: May 02, 2014, 04:11:05 pm »
My friend got a preliminary positive from the ID doc who was supposed to be handling their PrEP. It was their 3 months follow-up bloodwork that came back positive (we strongly suspect that they were positive when they started PrEP, just still in the window period). They have had unprotected anal sex with someone who turned out to be positive, so it's very likely that the Western Blot will be a confirmed true positive at the appointment next week. I am going to go to the appointment with them, and I took the rest of that day off work so that I could be there for them. What would you have wanted from your loved ones the day of your diagnosis? I know everyone is different, but I also think your hindsight and perspective could be very valuable.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: What would you have wanted on your diagnosis day?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 04:51:51 pm »
Jessie, I suggest you use your intuition about your friends to guide you as to how to respond. You want to be supportive without being intrusive.

You can always just say "I'd like to do anything that would helpful." See what they say.

Andy Velez

Offline jessie_tr

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 01:41:16 pm »
They specifically asked the doctor to call as soon as the results came in, rather than wait for the appointment. So we found out Friday afternoon that it was a true positive. It's been a crazy couple of days, an emotional roller-coaster but we'll make it through. Thank you.

Offline YellowFever

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 02:12:41 pm »
When I first diagnosed, I told my housemate and friend; and she became the emotional anchor though the whole roller-coaster ride. There was a lot of reassurances from her that everything will be alright (even if she didn't really have a clue). Not just verbal, but physical reassurances as well. Hugs, sharing beer, sharing food. These actions mean a lot or little depending on how your social circle perceives HIV. For me it was a big gesture and reading some of the forum posts here, I can only thank my lucky stars that she didn't throw me out of the house and bleached her floors with Chlorox....
08/2010 HIV- 08/2012 HIV+
10/2012 CD4 415
04/2013 CD4 457
10/2013 CD4 520 VL 650
02/2014 CD4 410 VL 390
08/2014 CD4 580
01/2015 CD4 500 VL UD
05/2015 CD4 420 VL 2500
08/2015 CD4 460 VL UD
03/2016 CD4 500 VL UD
08/2016 CD4 410 VL 4467

Offline aaware72

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 10:45:34 pm »
I was glad that i was not alone
"Yes, knowledge is power. Self-knowledge brings mastery of one's body."

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 05:38:41 pm »
I think what everyone would want, is to know they are loved unconditionally and that you will be there for them, because they matter and you love them.  Often, we get too hung up on "doing something," instead of just providing unconditional support.  Unconditional love, lays the foundation for a support system that can adapt to any situation, because its foundation is unshakable.

Joe

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 07:31:30 am »
i remember at the time i was told that i was hiv+,i wanted so desperately to tell my mom.Even though she didn't know anything about the disease,she would have listened and given me the support and love i needed.You know MOMS can fix anything and always make you feel better!!!!I was advised my my other siblings not to tell her,they said at the time it would have killed her and i guess they eventually convinced me,i could never have lived with the guilt if she had died as a result.Kinda sounds dumb,i know but at the time i was so scared and clueless.This past MOTHER'S DAY ,i finally told her....and then i put some flowers on her grave.I wanted her to know that i'm ok and doing well and above all that i survived .

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 01:43:16 pm »
I was very lucky and went to talk myself to sleep with 2 best friend, both are still around One is my best best friend and I love her to bits.

Other than that a trust fund with a healthy 100.000.000 £ would not go a miss.

Plus remember sugar is good for shock .
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.