Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:51:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 610
Total: 614

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Questions I should ask my doctor.  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
Questions I should ask my doctor.
« on: February 02, 2007, 12:14:49 pm »
Hi Guys,

I have an appointment with Adherance this coming Tuesday so she can inform me of the medications that I will be starting very soon. She will go over with me the basics of meds as well as the side affects that may occur. I have so many questions to ask the Adherance people and ID Doctor about medication that I don't know where to start. My mind goes blank when I am there because of the fear. This time I am writing all my question down.

What questions do you feel I MUST be asking or facts that I must be aware of? I am sure she will cover most of the things I need to know like, when the best time to take the meds, with/without food and Side affects. Kaletra/Truvada are the recomended meds for me as of now.
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Questions I should ask my doctor.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 12:43:50 pm »
I think the old Kaletra gel caps were recommended to be taken with a meal.  I don't think the new ones are.  I know with Truvada it does not matter.

Really, this combo is not difficult nor does it have major traumatizing side effects in most people.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 03:36:54 pm »
This time I am writing all my question down.

It's a good idea to always write your questions down, and some of the answers as well.

I always scribble down notes when I find something worth discussing with my doc. Sometimes, it's a question on lipids, sometimes on probiotics, sometimes on vaccinations or HIV related stuff we saw on TV. Last time, I had a question concerning the search for an unbiased dentist. We usually chitchat for about half an hour, then we discuss the latest blood work. After that, we get into business for the physical examination and draw some new blood. After an hour, it's all done and we regret that we won't see each other for another three months.
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 06:44:55 pm »
I find "Why?" useful.  If the nurse sez take this in the morning, take with food ask why? etc

Plus ask what the Plan B is - if this don't work what is the plan B?

Get a kidney function test before starting tenofovir (in Truvada) - this is a per the prescribing info. And get one the first time you get bloods after treatment, and the second for sure. Get a baseline lipid evaluation too (for Kaletra). And score some loperamide just in case you get the squits (the strong stuff).

Good luck ... starting, it's like your first parachute jump, except no-one will sponsor you to do it to raise money for a local animal rescue.  :)

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Nico

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 08:23:58 pm »
Oh you had to ask this question...smile.  :)

The best thing I do is write down all the questions even the ones I feel are not important.  Why?  Because, they are if I am thinking about them.  This is your chance to challenge an engage your doc.  Make the best of the time you have with your doc.  It is almost like and interview.  You need to state your needs and demands for treatment.  In a nice way.  My doc to this day; and I think I have said this in a prior post, asks if I have a Power Point presentation to go along with my visit.

Bottom line is you are in charge and it is your time and money.  Make the most of it. 

You own it!
Roger
Poz since 1990.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.