Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:16:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773204
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 525
Total: 526

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Wondering About My Testosterone Levels  (Read 2378 times)

Offline newbieguy

Wondering About My Testosterone Levels
« on: June 01, 2012, 01:45:42 pm »
Got my latest lab results back today, numbers are good, cd4 is 580, cd% is 30. But I am a little concerned about my testosterone levels..They checked my levels (just routinely) and the number is 301. The doctor assured me that it was normal, but it seems a bit low to me? Also I am only 30 years old. The doctor told me not to read too much into one result, to follow up with another test on my next labs in 4 months, and see what it is then. What exactly is a "normal" testosterone range for an adult male? If my number is indeed a bit low, what can I do to boost it naturally, ie diet, etc? I try to live a healthy lifestyle overall and I am a healthy weight. Thanks for any input!

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: Wondering About My Testosterone Levels
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 02:18:06 pm »
Hey New,

I'm with your doctor on this one; wait for another set of tests.  One test doesn't give you anything to really go on and what you want to see are trends over a period of time.  Granted your results are on the lower end of the scale, but unless you are experiencing some kind of troubling symptoms, that may be linked, why worry?  I'm a firm believer in using test results as guidelines, that are also weighted against how I feel.

For years I had CD4s below 200, I was on meds and doing OK.  On paper, I looked like I was dying, but that was not my reality.  I caution you about getting too fixated on what the "results" say, because we all have ups and downs and a disappointing test result doesn't really mean much, unless it is affecting you, health wise.

It's great that you are monitoring your health, just don't let the "results" become all that you see.  They are just another tool, for us to use to monitor our health and assuming you trust your doctor, then you have nothing to worry about.

Joe

Offline forrest

Re: Wondering About My Testosterone Levels
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 11:36:25 pm »
Hey Newbie,

I actually take testosterone (Axiron). I have been taking it since October 2011.  However, it took awhile before doc put me on it.  We took several tests over a period of time.  My Total Testosterone was 395, 428, 519, 407... however, the whole testosterone range is debated amongst docs. You (the doc that is) needs to look at more than just the Total Testosterone. 

While my TT was on the low end of the range but still within norm, he put me on it because for whatever reason, my Sex Hormone Binding Globulin was high. Gawd... I hope I get this right... I think it was that that was high... it meant that while my testosterone was high, it was mostly consumed by attaching to protein?  Thus, there wasn't much free testosterone available. 

Something like that... the jest of what I am trying to say though is that you have to look at more than just total testosterone. There are different variables.  And, I know my doc ALWAYS wants me to test it FIRST THING in the morning. That is when it's at it's highest.  It declines throughout the day. And, i always get it tested at the same time - 8am.

So, hopefully, for whatever it's worth - make sure your doc is looking at different numbers and not just total.  If my doc would have just looked at total, i wouldn't be on testosterone.

I have not experienced any aggression or anything from it. I went off it for a month to see if I felt different and where I was surprised was that my mood went into the crapper.  It's definitely helping my mood!!  :)  I'm still pretty depressed with the whole hiv thing and stuff, but I'd be worse off if I weren't on T. 

Good luck!
2011-03-26:  Tested Positive

Date           |VL        |CD4 |4%  |CD8 |8%  |C4:C8
2011-04-06 |48,653 |603 |32.0 |646 |35.0 |0.61
2011-05-23 |64,324 |577 |36.0 |576 |36.0 |1.00
2011-08-02 |18,319 |574 |36.3 |587 |37.2 |0.98
2011-12-06 |10,375 |480 |30.1 |616 |38.7 |0.78
2012-02-22 |  9,674 |570 |33.6 |655 |38.7 |0.87
2012-05-04 |  8,439 |559 |30.4 |706 |38.4 |0.79

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.