Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:29:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772782
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 222
Total: 223

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: when do you think there will be a cure for HIV?  (Read 24058 times)

Offline jtgymguy

when do you think there will be a cure for HIV?
« on: November 18, 2012, 06:30:05 pm »
I like to search google.com/news on the latest HIV news and there are articles that we are close to the cure (but still years away) ...

what is your opinion?
What form of cure do you think it will be? stem cell? vaccinne? pills?

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: when do you think there will be a cure for HIV?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 06:38:24 pm »
I like to search google.com/news on the latest HIV news and there are articles that we are close to the cure (but still years away) ...

what is your opinion?

It's not that I "don't care", but I am far more concerned with getting the viable treatments we already have into the hands of everybody that needs them.  And that's not me being all noble and stuff - it's the real deal fact that I'm a pen stroke or paper snafu away from losing meds myself...and I'm in better shape than plenty. 

All this "whaddya think" stuff is food for thought that most people not only chew, but end up choking on.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline jtgymguy

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 06:40:10 pm »
Hey that is true! We need to make medication more readily available, especially here in the USA...It seems like we are more worried about others and the HIV meds here in the USA are so expensive. Its crazy!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 06:46:50 pm »
Hey that is true! We need to make medication more readily available, especially here in the USA...It seems like we are more worried about others and the HIV meds here in the USA are so expensive. Its crazy!

Not quite the point I was trying to make.  I don't think there's an "especially" place anywhere - it's everywhere.  And $250 a year for meds might as well be $25,000 if you're living in a cardboard house and sleeping on sand.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline jtgymguy

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 07:04:20 pm »
That is true but if my tax dollars are helping people in other countries and i have to worry about it and think about being on wait lists  that is scare.

THANK GOD i am not on meds and that i have a good job w/ great insurance...but i seems like a scary future at times

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 07:48:50 pm »
~20 years.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 07:50:20 pm »
there are articles that we are close to the cure (but still years away) ...
what is your opinion?

Hey isn't that an oxymoron? 

I think there will be a functional cure but anyone's guess as to when....
For the moment the drugs do work pretty well.  Maybe there are bigger fish to fry, but HIV/AIDS is still pretty deadly.

The top 10 causes of death
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/index.html

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 07:52:40 pm »

THANK GOD i am not on meds and that i have a good job w/ great insurance...but i seems like a scary future at times

Well why don't you jump into a time machine and go back to before you seroconverted?  I highly doubt that your great insurance will cover the cure when it finally becomes available  ::)

For the moment the drugs do work pretty well.  Maybe there are bigger fish to fry, but HIV/AIDS is still pretty deadly.

Apparently this isn't even on his radar yet... since he has such an invincible mindset.
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 08:56:37 pm »
The Mayans predicted a cure for AIDS to appear on December 21, 2012 -- or five weeks and four days from now.

I've already halted all of my pills figuring there won't be any harm done.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 09:08:08 pm »
The Mayans predicted a cure for AIDS to appear on December 21, 2012 -- or five weeks and four days from now.

I've already halted all of my pills figuring there won't be any harm done.

You're lying. The cure for the AIDS was found a couple of months ago. That's the real reason why I hadn't been participating.  I'm a born again non-pozzie.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 09:11:08 pm »

You're lying. The cure for the AIDS was found a couple of months ago. That's the real reason why I hadn't been participating.  I'm a born again non-pozzie.

Sadly that cure isn't foolproof. I heard that if you get infected a second time then meds won't even work, and you basically will die within four months. KS will appear in 2 weeks.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 09:18:20 pm »
Sadly that cure isn't foolproof. I heard that if you get infected a second time then meds won't even work, and you basically will die within four months. KS will appear in 2 weeks.

OEMGEE, and I've been spending countless hours celebrating at my local bathhouse.  I am skurred now!
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 09:21:46 pm »
I think the nurse deliberately infected me with a new strain when she did my latest labs.  Do you guys think the cure will work for me?

Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 09:30:00 pm »
I think the nurse deliberately infected me with a new strain when she did my latest labs.  Do you guys think the cure will work for me?

no
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 09:45:27 pm »
no

That is incredibly mean.  Reported  :P

You're just jealous cause you have the FOREVER AIDS brand. 

Solo, you'll be fine. Just do a double shot of teh cure.  And stop playing with used dildos.  Evil nurse, tsk, tsk  ::)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 10:00:01 pm »

No, meds are much more expensive in the US because our pharma industry is fully in the pockets of our elected politicians - you know, the ones who are supposed to be putting our welfare first but actually don't?

Meds in places like India are far less expensive because of different patent laws. The uSa is singularly fucked when it comes to medicating it's population. It's not at all about taking care of other countries at the expense of our own. It's about sacrificing our own HIV population (and also our seniors and veterans) because we have allowed ourselves to become a Corporatocracy.

Wanna take a crack at changing that? I for one would be pretty happy.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 10:12:03 pm »
Sorry guys I forgot to mention, I was cured last week thanks to my baking.

The cure lies in the icing on my cupcakes, (I have magical ingredients) so if you want the recipe then you will have to make a donation, I will be accepting donations on FB for those who have an account, and I will also be trading on Ebay, I need a new super, super size mixer, I have the feeling I'm about to get very busy making the cure sorry, cupcakes... ;D

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Lugzsoo

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 10:27:24 pm »
My luck the day the Cure comes out I be on my the other side . :o

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 10:54:32 pm »
Sorry guys I forgot to mention, I was cured last week thanks to my baking.

The cure lies in the icing on my cupcakes, (I have magical ingredients) so if you want the recipe then you will have to make a donation, I will be accepting donations on FB for those who have an account, and I will also be trading on Ebay, I need a new super, super size mixer, I have the feeling I'm about to get very busy making the cure sorry, cupcakes... ;D

Aroha

AIDS cupcakes!!?

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 11:13:35 pm »
Anderson Cooper had those STD cupcakes on his daytime show last week.  His daytime show has been cancelled.  I wonder if there is a connection? 

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 11:14:32 pm »
AIDS cupcakes!!?

All that's missing are speedos and bumble bees.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 11:21:33 pm »
I have Bumble bees, left overs from my grandaughters birthday cake..but alas no speedo, Jim stopped wearing them years ago.. ;D

Nice one Rev.

Aroha
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline mecch

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 11:28:20 pm »
The late Khamis Gaddafi told me that his father gave Louis Farrakhan the cure.  Gaddafi bought it from Yakub, inventor of the white man.  Yakub stole it from the Jews, who invented HIV with the knowledge and expertise tortured out of Nazi doctors whom they had enslaved in secret bunkers under a kibbutz on the shores of Kinneret. 
Farrakhan keeps the cure in a vault, in his secret shrine to Oprah Winfrey, in his Chicago mansion. Its a very stable, completely organic plant-based cure, and the formula and a few ounces of the dark liquid are in wax sealed test tubes in stainless canisters, next to Rasputin's preserved penis in it's purple velvet box (a gift to Farrakhan from a surprising friend - Barbara Bush).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m23LqrnclLE
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 11:35:11 pm »
The late Khamis Gaddafi told me that his father gave Louis Farrakhan the cure.  Gaddafi bought it from Yakub, inventor of the white man.  Yakub stole it from the Jews, who invented HIV with the knowledge and expertise tortured out of Nazi doctors whom they had enslaved in secret bunkers under a kibbutz on the shores of Kinneret. 
Farrakhan keeps the cure in a vault, in his secret shrine to Oprah Winfrey, in his Chicago mansion. Its a very stable, completely organic plant-based cure, and the formula and a few ounces of the dark liquid are in wax sealed test tubes in stainless canisters, next to Rasputin's preserved penis in it's purple velvet box (a gift to Farrakhan from a surprising friend - Barbara Bush).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m23LqrnclLE

I heard it was in Al Capone's vault.

Past regimens

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 11:57:47 pm »
At least 10 more years to get rid of HIV from the body. If no one can afford a cure theres no money to make from it but once it gets viable the same forces(greed/capitalism) driving profit in the pharmas will turn the cure a reality.

Btw, whats with all the OT stuff in this thread?
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 12:40:55 am »
I would take a functional cure or medications that dont kill the nerves in my feet and hands.  I don't mind taking the pills so much, I just wish they were more 'body friendly'.

I believe that a vaccine will come first and then science will halt on a cure leaving those of us that have it doomed....lol.  i'm just kidding, i guess.

11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline Growler

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2012, 03:33:00 am »
The Cure for teh AIDS has been around for a while now.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pvp6yg62WY&feature=plcp

GROWLER
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 08:35:51 am »

what is your opinion?

Don't you read the Research News & Studies forum? That's where all the Curistas hang out.

No, meds are much more expensive in the US because our pharma industry is fully in the pockets of our elected politicians - you know, the ones who are supposed to be putting our welfare first but actually don't?

Meds in places like India are far less expensive because of different patent laws. The uSa is singularly fucked when it comes to medicating it's population. It's not at all about taking care of other countries at the expense of our own. It's about sacrificing our own HIV population (and also our seniors and veterans) because we have allowed ourselves to become a Corporatocracy.

Wanna take a crack at changing that? I for one would be pretty happy.

True for the most part, but keep in mind that what may seem to be exceptionally affordable prices in places like India are still quite unaffordable to many people living in those countries. It's all relative.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 09:47:53 am »
Anderson Cooper had those STD cupcakes on his daytime show last week.  His daytime show has been cancelled.  I wonder if there is a connection?

Of course there is a connection Teddy.  I farted on the morning of February 11, 2012 and that afternoon Whitney Houston died in the bathroom.  Coincidence???  I think not....
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 09:50:41 am »
Of course there is a connection Teddy.  I farted on the morning of February 11, 2012 and that afternoon Whitney Houston died in the bathroom.  Coincidence???  I think not....

With deadly farts like that , you and my bulldog may need to form a support group .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Lugzsoo

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 03:23:36 pm »
The Cure for teh AIDS has been around for a while now.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pvp6yg62WY&feature=plcp

GROWLER

Mmmm I'm trying this tonight  now just have to find a empty cup lol

Offline Denver Toad

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 05:09:46 pm »
The cure died with Jimmy Hoffa... Or maybe it was D.B. Cooper, I can't keep it straight.

Off and outta here for my depilatory.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,
Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 05:25:52 pm »
I have too much body hair to ever be cured. :-\

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 06:20:03 pm »

Off and outta here for my depilatory.

oh mee too, I've scheduled a full body waxing! and they are gonna throw in a bunghole bleaching for freee!
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Fisher

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 07:29:50 pm »

I'm confused.  Does a born again non-pozzie come out of the closet first or a hamper? And if hampered, I imagine a born again non-pozzie has a lot of dirty laundry. And if there's a lot of dirty laundry, well then it must be the bleach . . . yes the bleach is the cure, of course! Nothing like Clorox for the cure and of course, the dazzling bleached blondness of hair locks. . .

- fisher
06/15 CD 365 %24 VL<20
01/15 CD 468 %24 VL<20
09/14 CD 385 %22 VL<20
07/14 CD 391 %20 VLUD
04/14 CD 486 %23 VL<20
11/13 CD 351 %21  VL<20
10/13 CD 390 %16  VL<20
06/13 CD 315 %19  VL 22
02/13 CD 396 %14  VL<20
12/12 CD 392 %13  VL320
11/12 CD 428 %13  VL1200
*Started Meds: Atripla
10/12 CD 427 %11  VL 139000 -- 09/12 CD 408 %13 VL 92928
09/11 CD 745 %27 VL CLOT -- 10/10 CD 863 %29 VL 2782
10/09 CD 597 %30 VL 2537 -- 05/08 CD 809 %28 VL 1504
04/07 CD 797 %25 VL 3558 -- 11/06 CD 720 %28 VL 1214
06/05 CD 731 %25 VL 1575 -- 12/04 CD 1176 %30 VL 1329
01/04 CD 959 %26 VL 1011 -- 11/03 CD 1000 %28 VL 1581
12/02 CD 748 %28 -- 10/01 CD 860 %25
08/00 CD 1022 %28 -- 04/99 CD 854 %27
11/98 CD 899 %28 -- 02/97 CD 1400 %37
11/96 CD 1325  VL <500 -- 09/96 – Western Blot
05/83 – 04/98 - Mon - Pa

Offline Nightmare26

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 02:50:10 pm »

what is your opinion?

Here are some articles I found that show there is a cure for hiv out there and that they are working on perfecting mastering it. There is one where a man known as the berlin patient or Timothy Brown who was completely cured of HIV through stem cell bone marrow transplant. Although the operation is dangerous and life threatening through this they are working on other ways to cure HIV. Such as in Seattle where they are working on a functional cure for hiv that would suppress the virus at very low levels so you dont get sick off the virus or need meds. As well as in Australia at the William and eliza hall institute they found a way to boost the immune system to completely fight off the virus. They tested it in mice where they boosted a natural immune hormone called IL-7 which switches off a gene called SOCS 3 which basically shuts down the immune system when infected with HIV and then the immune system can fight off the HIV virus completely as it did in the mice succesfully so.

I know we are only years away from getting the cure for HIV. I predict within 10 years and less. A man was already cured of HIV and there are too many successful studies on ways to cure it out there for it not to be cured soon. It might be expensive at first but we will be cured of HIV within 10 years. I have high hopes for that.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul/27/news/la-heb-hiv-cure-aids-meeting-20120727
http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2011/09/expert_functional_cure_for_hiv.php
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/02/04/study-suggests-immune-system-treatment-for-hiv/
http://www.wehi.edu.au/site/latest_news/boosting_bodys_immune_response_may_hold_key_to_hiv_cure

Offline roy100

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2012, 10:38:36 pm »
Finally a post that is worth reading, thanks for sharing.
At last some good   information.
Diagnosed 18Th March 2010
March 30Th VL +100,000 CD4 46
CD8T  575 CD8 %60.6
On Truvada and Kaletra. . Remeron 15mg  and150 mg  wellbutrin xl for depression. Clonazepan 2 mg to sleep. Omeprazole 20  once a day.
July 17 2010 Vl 362 CD4 155, 6.4 %
CD8T suppressors 1482 CD8% 61.1
 Nov 16 2010: V l 937 CD4 188,10%
CD8T Suppresors 997 CD8%55.8
August 15th 2011 Vl UD, less than 40.
CD4:543(26.7%) CD8:887 (43.6 %) Ratio .61
Jan 14th,2012 ,less than 40.
CD4:478 (24.4%) CD8: 962 (49.1%) Ratio.50
June 2012 CD4 599, CD8 856 UD
Oct 2013 CD 702, CD 843 UD Ratio:.87

Offline mecch

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2012, 05:11:01 am »
As well as in Australia at the William and eliza hall institute they found a way to boost the immune system to completely fight off the virus. They tested it in mice where they boosted a natural immune hormone called IL-7 which switches off a gene called SOCS 3 which basically shuts down the immune system when infected with HIV and then the immune system can fight off the HIV virus completely as it did in the mice succesfully so.
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jul/27/news/la-heb-hiv-cure-aids-meeting-20120727
http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2011/09/expert_functional_cure_for_hiv.php
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/02/04/study-suggests-immune-system-treatment-for-hiv/
http://www.wehi.edu.au/site/latest_news/boosting_bodys_immune_response_may_hold_key_to_hiv_cure

The "Berlin Patient" is the same guy in the Seatle article.
The US put many men on the moon, through extraordinary measures, cost and danger. Does not mean you can travel to the moon tomorrow, does it?

You misspoke about the Australian research.  THe point isn't to "shut down the immune system". If you did that, then obviously the immune system can't fight anything! 

Yes, all this research is encouraging and I am glad you are optimistic, as am I.

;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 02:23:26 pm by mecch »

Offline Nightmare26

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2012, 11:35:08 am »
No the SOCS 3 gene is the one that shuts down the immune system when infected with HIV but according to the research once boosted by IL-7 a natural immune hormone SOCS 3 switches off allowing IL-7 and the immune system to fight off the virus until cured. Sorry if I wasnt clear. But yes this is very exciting news and no I dont believe the cure will be available tomorrow or anything but within 10 years i bet it will. Very exciting news indeed and im very optimistic about it.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2012, 03:39:51 pm »
The cure will be here next tuesday.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2012, 04:50:00 pm »
woohoo! just in time for Christmas. ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline buginme2

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2012, 05:55:11 pm »

I saw the cure in concert when I was in high school during their Disintegration tour ( I know I am dating myself).  Was a pretty good show.

Anyway, I just got back from the airport and if the cure has a trip like the one I just had, its gonna be delayed.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2012, 07:26:26 pm »
I may or may not have been cured . I'm not ready to disclose yet .

I'm not sure I could handle the stigma here on the forum if I were to come out as HIV neg .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2012, 08:41:55 pm »
I may or may not have been cured . I'm not ready to disclose yet .

I'm not sure I could handle the stigma here on the forum if I were to come out as HIV neg .

Considering I've never actually had ANYONE tell me I'm HIV positive but have only had people consistently send me down the line to the doctors and the health department.  I've often wondered what it would be like to find out I was HIV- after all of this.  However, the wasting, staph infections, anemia, etc... are a pretty big indicator that all signs point to +.

They never showed me the actual paper that said I was HIV+.  I wonder if I should go demand that.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2012, 09:10:01 pm »
Considering I've never actually had ANYONE tell me I'm HIV positive but have only had people consistently send me down the line to the doctors and the health department.  I've often wondered what it would be like to find out I was HIV- after all of this.  However, the wasting, staph infections, anemia, etc... are a pretty big indicator that all signs point to +.

They never showed me the actual paper that said I was HIV+.  I wonder if I should go demand that.

My dear Hecky , aids is more than a piece of paper , its a lifestyle .  ;)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2012, 03:59:29 am »
I saw the cure in concert when I was in high school during their Disintegration tour

My mother saw me watching them on TV once around that same time period, and told me they looked morre like the illness.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Raf

• Bald by choice
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2012, 07:32:15 am »
Actually, Elvis Presley has teh cure for aids.
Dx: 05/14/2008
Latest HIV Meds combo I've been taking:

Kaletra + Combivir (since 05/16/2008 - 05/09/2019)
Acriptega (05/10/2019 - today)

Offline mecch

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2012, 08:07:04 am »

Hello?  Haven't you had many VL tests?  That's the proof. 

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2012, 08:00:55 pm »
Hello?  Haven't you had many VL tests?  That's the proof.

Actually, as far as I recall, he never mentions VL. All that he ever discusses is his perennially low CD4 count.  And the antibiotics that he skips on a regular basis.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2012, 08:17:26 pm »
And the antibiotics that he skips on a regular basis.

Is she still playing with fire?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.