Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 10:53:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 185
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 122
Total: 123

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Please clarify rpossible risk exposures  (Read 35544 times)

Offline brianyap

• Standard
Please clarify rpossible risk exposures
« on: January 25, 2011, 12:12:37 am »
Hi,
I would like to find out some facts about how risky my encounter was with a male SW. I am on the brink of getting a nervous breakdown and I've been stressing about this for almost two weeks already.

I had unprotected anal sex without any protection with a SW. I was the insertive top. I know this is extremely stupid and extremely risky of me but I was not aware of facts before. Days after the unprotected sex, I pleaded with the SW to get himself tested and yesterday, he turns out to be HIV+. This almost made me insane.

I know this is all my responsibility and I just keep wishing that everything did not happen, but it did.

I had myself tested with ELISA, one week after and it turned out negative. I took another test just yesterday for another ELISA test with P-24 at a different hospital and I'm going to pick up the results later.

I know these tests are not conclusive as I have to wait for at least 3 months to be 100% sure.
My question is, what are the statistics as to my very risky and stupid behavior?
Also, if these tests are not conclusive, at least, how reliable would these early tests be?
Please help.. i am very worried and I'm very scared.
Thanks.
Bryan.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Please help- Had unprotected insertive sex with HIV+ SW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 12:16:01 am »
There are no reliable numbers on how likely you are to have been infected. The risk is certainly present and you need to be tested, it's as simple as that.

What might help calm your fevered mind is knowing that a negative top is at less risk from a positive bottom during unprotected anal than the other way around.

If you are going to test positive you will most likely return a positive result 4-6 weeks after the date of the sexual encounter. As you know a negative result will take 3 months to be confirmed.

MtD

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 12:25:54 am »
Thank you. It's just really dark times for me now.
I tested and i got negative. How accurate is this?
Also, I read that P-24 usually is able to determine possible infection during the window period?
I forgot to mention that i also have penile psoriasis. Though I'm quite certain I didn't have it at that time...
Thank you for replying.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 12:27:37 am »
Thank you. It's just really dark times for me now.
I tested and i got negative. How accurate is this?
Also, I read that P-24 usually is able to determine possible infection during the window period?
I forgot to mention that i also have penile psoriasis. Though I'm quite certain I didn't have it at that time...
Thank you for replying.

Yeah the presence of the p24 antigen would indicate that you are HIV positive. But let's burn that bridge when we jump off it, eh?

Get your test results and let us know how things go.

And in future, when you're fucking another one up the bum use a condom.

MtD

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 04:52:59 am »
i got the results! it turned out negative. it's only been 12 days though. the latest test done were the antibody (elisa 2011 version + P24. Both turned negative. I consulted with the doctor and according to him although it's not 100% indicative, it's 99.7% reliable since the current test version they use could more or less capture the presence even at the window  period becquse its highly sensitive.
would aomeone please help me and comment on this?i only did it once w the sex worker though i know it doesnt really mean anything. somehow im still anxious but relieved to a certain degree.
thank you.
bryan

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 07:18:07 am »
Your 3 month post exposure test will be conclusive.

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 07:26:30 am »
Thank you, RapidRod,
Just a question, at what range of days does the P-24 typically detect it before the antibody test?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 07:32:04 am »
Brian,

When an hiv antibody test is bundled with the p24 antigen test, it can often catch a very new infection.

The p24 antigen is only present from around a week into infection and it is only present for a week or two. Once antibodies begin to form, the p24 usually disappears.

So what this means is that the p24 may have already disappeared before enough antibodies have been formed in order to trigger a positive antibody result.

However, any negative result is encouraging.

If you test again at six weeks, that would be a better indication of your status. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days. A six week negative is highly unlikely to change but must be confirmed at the three month point.

I hope you learn from this experience and wrap it up in future. That's all you need to do to avoid hiv infection - use a condom for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, NO exceptions.

Good luck.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 07:49:45 am »
Hi Ann,
Just a quick question, I did the Antibody+P-24 test on my 12th day. So, I guess it's pretty okay (though not conclusive) that the P-24 would have detected it if it weren't detected by the Anti-body test?
Also, I'm kind of sick right now with sinusitis. No fever or whatsoever, just a splitting headache and a sore throat that lasted for a day...

Yes, it was a very life changing lesson that I had to learn the hard way. Your words and this forum is very encouraging and it really gave me a lot of information that was very useful to me at times like these.
Thank you very much!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 08:02:04 am »
Brian,

You're welcome. I hope you have also learned that it's not just sex workers you need to use condoms with. You never know who might have hiv - and as many people never test (especially straight people), many people don't know they're positive.

It's true that if you were infected, the p24 antigen most likely would have still been present at day twelve. It is also true that your result is no where near conclusive. It's totally possible that the p24 had already disappeared, but it's also totally possible that you have not been infected.

The odds of continuing to test negative are very much in your favour as hiv is much more difficult to transmit from the receptive partner to the insertive partner. You're not likely to end up positive over one insertive encounter, but it's not impossible either.

And don't start reading hiv into every little headache or sniffle. Symptoms - or even the LACK of symptoms - will never tell you a single thing about your hiv status, ONLY testing at the appropriate time will.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 08:11:52 am »
Thank you. Symptoms can make people very paranoid. But I will not lose hope and I'll continue to wait and get tested at certain intervals. I will update you again soon. Thank you for the help and encouragement.  :)

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 05:47:55 am »
Brian,

You're welcome. I hope you have also learned that it's not just sex workers you need to use condoms with. You never know who might have hiv - and as many people never test (especially straight people), many people don't know they're positive.

It's true that if you were infected, the p24 antigen most likely would have still been present at day twelve. It is also true that your result is no where near conclusive. It's totally possible that the p24 had already disappeared, but it's also totally possible that you have not been infected.

The odds of continuing to test negative are very much in your favour as hiv is much more difficult to transmit from the receptive partner to the insertive partner. You're not likely to end up positive over one insertive encounter, but it's not impossible either.

And don't start reading hiv into every little headache or sniffle. Symptoms - or even the LACK of symptoms - will never tell you a single thing about your hiv status, ONLY testing at the appropriate time will.

Ann

Hi Ann,

I know I shouldn't stress about it but every now and then my nerves are getting a beating waiting for the 6th week to get myself tested again. I know you said the odds are very much in my favor, but can i just ask a few things?

1) What were the odds of my risky activity? I read it's somewhere between 50-60 in 10,000? What does this mean? Also, I read in this site that there are research that says that finding a link between an insertive top being infected is not clearly documented but risks are there hence it is reported? However, I read in some sites that risks are actually greater than the CDC's statistic?

2) Also I forgot to mention that I have psoriasis in general & penile psoriais. However, I haven't had any for more than a year now...psoriasis is not really an open wound... however, does this add to the risk?

3) HIV Antibody+P24 can detect the disease at very early stages as you mentioned.... i tested on the 12th day and it was negative... question is... just how sensitive or accurate is the P-24 test? I consulted with the lab doctor and he said that the current methods they use can actually detect HIV 95% of the time even at window period.... can you please comment on this?

It's my 15 day now and it's pure agony waiting....

I hope to hear from you...
Thank you.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 05:54:14 am »

Hi Ann,

I know I shouldn't stress about it but every now and then my nerves are getting a beating waiting for the 6th week to get myself tested again. I know you said the odds are very much in my favor, but can i just ask a few things?

1) What were the odds of my risky activity? I read it's somewhere between 50-60 in 10,000? What does this mean? Also, I read in this site that there are research that says that finding a link between an insertive top being infected is not clearly documented but risks are there hence it is reported? However, I read in some sites that risks are actually greater than the CDC's statistic?

2) Also I forgot to mention that I have psoriasis in general & penile psoriais. However, I haven't had any for more than a year now...psoriasis is not really an open wound... however, does this add to the risk?

3) HIV Antibody+P24 can detect the disease at very early stages as you mentioned.... i tested on the 12th day and it was negative... question is... just how sensitive or accurate is the P-24 test? I consulted with the lab doctor and he said that the current methods they use can actually detect HIV 95% of the time even at window period.... can you please comment on this?

It's my 15 day now and it's pure agony waiting....

I hope to hear from you...
Thank you.

Brian,

There is only one course of action open to you.

Get tested at the appropriate point in time, ie 13 weeks from the date of your sexual encounter. I know you're stressed but you're just gonna have to deal with that.

I think we've explained to you that most people who are going to test positive do so somwhere between 4-6 weeks, so a 6 week test is a good idea. If it's negative then chances are you're going to test negative at 13 weeks.

But it's all a waiting game. You're just going to have to tough it out.

MtD

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 06:08:55 am »
Brian,

There is only one course of action open to you.

Get tested at the appropriate point in time, ie 13 weeks from the date of your sexual encounter. I know you're stressed but you're just gonna have to deal with that.

I think we've explained to you that most people who are going to test positive do so somwhere between 4-6 weeks, so a 6 week test is a good idea. If it's negative then chances are you're going to test negative at 13 weeks.

But it's all a waiting game. You're just going to have to tough it out.

MtD

Yes you're right. This is the single, most stressful event of my life. Heart attack might kill me before I get tested. I cant believe I was so stupid. :c

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 06:12:09 am »
Yes you're right. This is the single, most stressful event of my life. Heart attack might kill me before I get tested. I cant believe I was so stupid. :c

Oh stop being such a fucking pansy.  ::)

You had teh sexor and a rubber broke. Most likely you'll test negative. In the remote event that you test positive, things will be ok.

Believe me. People deal with HIV positive diagnoses all the time. The world keeps turning.

Yeesh!

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 08:05:55 am »
Brian,

1. The numbers you mention were pulled out of thin air by researchers. Ignore them. As for your risk? How long is a piece of string? Tops get infected all the time, but the risk is lower than a bottom's. If tops weren't getting infected, there would be no straight poz men. Let me tell you, there are plenty of straight poz men. My partner is one. And no, he's never bottomed in his life. He's a bit squeamish where his anus is concerned.

2. You have penile psoriais, but you said it hasn't been active in over a year. This will not increase your risk whatsoever when it is not active. However, should it become active again, you should always use a condom as the psoriasis will leave you open to getting a bacterial infection in the psoriasis site, especially when engaging in anal intercourse. You should always be using condoms anyway when you are not in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested negative for all STIs, including hiv.

3. Today's tests are very accurate. However, this does not change the fact that you are just going to have to wait until the appropriate time to test. It's that simple.

I really hope you remember all the stress and anxiety this is putting you through the next time you even fleetingly consider topping or bottoming bareback. It ain't worth it. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

All that said, I still expect you to continue to test negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 10:00:51 pm »
Brian,

1. The numbers you mention were pulled out of thin air by researchers. Ignore them. As for your risk? How long is a piece of string? Tops get infected all the time, but the risk is lower than a bottom's. If tops weren't getting infected, there would be no straight poz men. Let me tell you, there are plenty of straight poz men. My partner is one. And no, he's never bottomed in his life. He's a bit squeamish where his anus is concerned.

2. You have penile psoriais, but you said it hasn't been active in over a year. This will not increase your risk whatsoever when it is not active. However, should it become active again, you should always use a condom as the psoriasis will leave you open to getting a bacterial infection in the psoriasis site, especially when engaging in anal intercourse. You should always be using condoms anyway when you are not in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested negative for all STIs, including hiv.

3. Today's tests are very accurate. However, this does not change the fact that you are just going to have to wait until the appropriate time to test. It's that simple.

I really hope you remember all the stress and anxiety this is putting you through the next time you even fleetingly consider topping or bottoming bareback. It ain't worth it. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

All that said, I still expect you to continue to test negative.

Ann

Thank you, Ann.
How does penile psoriasis affect the chances? I'm not very sure if I had it at that time but i remember checking and it wasn't there. We used body as lubricant, and sometimes it irritates my penis and shows after a day. Still, I checked and I don't think I had it...

This is really very very stressful for me and yes I've learned my lesson.

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 02:41:40 am »
By the way, just to clarify on the tests that were used... I asked the hospital that did the test on me and they said that they use chemiluminescence? what is this test and how does this differ form the others?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 10:29:38 am »
Brian,

If you couldn't even tell if it was there or not, stop worrying about it. It would only increase your chance if you had raw, broken skin because of it, which obviously you did not.

It doesn't matter how that test differers, it is an approved, reliable test. I'm not going to get into the chemical nuts and bolts with you.

You need to step away from your computer and get productively busy while you wait for the appropriate time to test. We're not here to hold your hand while you wait.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 10:31:51 am »
It is an approved 4th generation test which yields a reliable result. 4th generation means it is the most up-to-date.

Andy Velez

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 11:36:56 am »
Hi Ann and Andy,
I read that here: http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov/MeetingAbstracts/ma?f=102244026.html
Anyways, you're correct. I'm stressing on this way too much. I should be happy that the odds are in my favor to begin with. I should be happy that I got 2 negative test results also. I need to seriously stop obsessing and do something more productive.
Thank you very much for the help.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 12:35:06 pm »
Exactly right. You need to make a real effort to focus on other things in your life. And Bryan, don't bother saying are too upset to do that because I can tell that kind of response is not going to fly here. Just do it.

Lastly, asking someone about their HIV status should not be something that affects your using condoms or not. Even well meaning people often don't know their accurate status. So the smart thing to do is to always, without exception use a condom for anal intercourse. By doing that it doesn't matter if the person is positive because condoms provide very effective protection.

Andy Velez

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 10:27:12 am »
hi ann, andy and everyone,
just wanted to update, i went to see an hiv counselor and he was extremely helpful and informative. i also got tested again (care of him) rapid test at 22 days and still negative. so far so good and still hope to get tested negative on my 6th week and 3rd month. thanks to everyone for support :-)

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 09:22:14 am »
hi everyone!
just thought of making an update on my progress so far. at the fifth week, my hiv duo test came back negative :)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 09:49:02 am »
That's good. A negative test result at 6 weeks is even more reassuring and means you will most likely continue to test negative at 13 weeks.
Andy Velez

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 03:12:06 am »
hi everyone,
just got tested again and it's been 9 weeks already, using a rapid test, and still negative.  :)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 08:09:35 am »
Brian,

Your result is highly unlikely to change, but must be confirmed at the three month point. Don't test again until the three month point - to do so would be a huge waste of time and resources.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2011, 11:25:52 pm »
Hi Ann and Andy,
it's already the 13th week today and I'm a bit anxious to get tested. Anyways, much to my stupidity, I had another encounter on the 12th week with some person. I've read your different posts over and over and over again and I should know the answer to my own questions, but I just really need reassurance now.

Last week, I had sex with some person. He claims to be negative, but again I know I can't trust him. We basically just did frottage. The most that he did was rub his unprotected penis on my anus for about a minute. He tried penetrating me but I didn't let him, and he was unable to. He wanted to fuck me with a condom after, but still that no penetration. There was no blow job, just some smack on the lips. No deep kissing or anything. We ended up with him jerking me off, and he never cummed.  If let's say, I had hemorrhoids at that time, would it be of risk if he had some pre-cum on him and him rubbing his dick on my anus. What if the head of his penis entered me very briefly, though we're both certain it never did.

Reason why I'm getting paranoid and anxious is that two days after that frottage encounter, I had some diarrhea. It eventually went away on it's own after 2 days. Today, about 7 days later, I have post-nasal drip/congestion and my sinus are a bit inflammed. i have a slight fever with 37.5C or about 99.5-100C for about a day.

Question is:
1) This can't be ARS syndrome that is associated with the real risk event that took place 13 weeks ago? or could it?

2) The frottage experience is absolutely no risk? Even if let's say I had hemorrhoids?

3) I had 5 tests in total distributed over the weeks. (duo test at 12th day, rapid test 3rd week, duo test 4th week, rapid test 5th week, and one last rapid test on the 9th week). I mean, i know the cut off is 12 weeks but I'm guessing that the 5 tests would somehow be very good indicators or close to conclusive given that I only had one risky encounter as an insertive top?

4) Based on your vast experiences, how many people tested negative past 6 weeks and tested positive on the 12th/13th?

I'm really worried  :(

Thanks!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 03:48:03 am »
Brian,

1. NO. It's way too late for ARS in connection with your first incident and your second incident held absolutely NO risk for hiv infection, regardless of whether or not you have hemorrhoids.

2. NO RISK.

3. Your nine week negative is not going to change, regardless of your risk level.

4. None.

You've tested excessively. You never had a huge risk in the first place and your nine week negative, as I already said, is not going to change. Get your three month conclusive result and get on with your life.

Learn from this experience and make sure you put a condom on before you go putting your dick into anyone's anus or vagina. And if you decide to bottom, make sure your top is wearing a condom. Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE!!!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2011, 04:41:26 am »
Thank you, Ann.
Funny thing about situations like these is that you always tend to feel that you're the most unlucky person in the world, regardless of what research says. Thank you for once again snapping me back to reality. I don't want to go through life thinking that every single sniffle could be the virus showing up months after the supposed risk.
 :)

Offline krizner

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 05:27:01 pm »
hey, DUO test 28 days onwards post exposure is as reliable as Antibody ELISA at 12/13 week mark.

you can relax :)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 05:47:29 pm »
Krizner, as it says in the Welcome thread which opens this section, only those who are authorized to do so are permitted to respond to members here. You are not so authorized so please don't do it again.

In fact your response is incorrect. There are circumstances in which a DUO at 28 days would not yield a conclusive result.
Andy Velez

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2011, 12:59:31 am »
Oh. That's a scary thought. How many instances did the 28-day duo test did not come out as conclusive? Would you say that my 9th week rapid test is more reliable than the 5th week duo?  ???

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2011, 07:30:10 am »
and just to clarify once and for all.... is the 6th week++ a better indicator than a 28-day duo? i think i remember reading somewhere that there instances when the 28 day duo gave a positive result when in fact the person was really negative? i mean, in the sense that it may give false positives, as with the rest?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2011, 08:11:52 am »
Brian,

A duo test simply means it also tests for the p24 antigen. Most tests in use today do this. Duo is just a brand name.

See - this is why we do not allow others to respond in this forum. All it does is create confusion - and piss me off. You really don't want to piss me off. I've got enough to deal with without well-meaning idiots making my work harder.

Brian, we seriously do not expect your test results to change when you test at the three month point. There's nothing more we can tell you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2011, 08:37:12 am »
oh okay. that's great :) sorry ann, hope you're not that pissed off. what you do write and suggest actually help people like me. it's greatly appreciated. sorry to hear that you've got a lot to deal with. thanks again.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2011, 09:10:29 am »
Brian,

No need for you to apologise. I just get frustrated when people do not read - or just plain ignore - the rules governing this forum and post incorrect information or otherwise post where they're not supposed to. All that does is make our work harder. As for me having a lot to deal with, well, that's just life.

I still seriously fully expect your conclusive result to be negative. And remember, you only need a three month negative where the unprotected intercourse is concerned. Your latest concern was a no risk situation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2011, 08:48:47 am »
thank you, ann. okay. so today, i gathered up all guts and just bit the bullet and took another DUO test to finally close this 3-month window. I get the results tomorrow. I'll update tomorrow as soon as I get the results....

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2011, 08:56:23 am »
Good move on your part and good luck with the result. Like Ann I expect it to be negative.
Andy Velez

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2011, 04:59:04 am »
hi ann and andy,
got the result. NEGATIVE for HIV DUO test at 13 weeks. now this, is unquestionably conclusive and requires no further testing, right?
Thank you so much fot everything. :-)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2011, 05:53:45 am »
Brian,

You are conclusively hiv negative. You do not have hiv.

You do not need further testing over this incident. You do not have hiv.

PLEASE learn from this experience and make sure you use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, no matter who you are with. Read the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them correctly and with confidence. A correctly used condom rarely breaks. Follow this simple rule and you will avoid hiv infection. IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE!!!

I'll say it one more time - you do NOT have hiv!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2011, 09:52:15 pm »
Hi,
So it's been a couple months already since my 3rd month test and my real risk incident. I'm okay and things seem to be going well. It's just that whenever I see or get reminded of hiv, I go back to the frottage incident. It's absolutely no risk, right? Will the risk increase if let's say either of us had an STD but no penetration? Just to clarify, I can get any STD's from frottage, just not HIV, right? I don't think I've contracted any STD's though since I haven't felt anything since the frottage incident. No need for further testing, right?
Sorry just need confirmation just this time.
Thanks!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2011, 09:57:35 pm »
Brian,

You are conclusively hiv negative. You do not have hiv.

You do not need further testing over this incident. You do not have hiv.

PLEASE learn from this experience and make sure you use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, no matter who you are with. Read the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them correctly and with confidence. A correctly used condom rarely breaks. Follow this simple rule and you will avoid hiv infection. IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE!!!

I'll say it one more time - you do NOT have hiv!

Ann

Just because you get nervous doesn't change the facts of the situation. You weren't at risk and HIV is not your problem.

I am now going to warn you that if you return again over more what ifs and non-risk that  you are going to get a 28 day Time Out from the site. HIV IS NOT YOUR PROBLEM. Period. And as long as you use condoms everytime for intercourse you won't have a problem with sexual risk for the virus.
Andy Velez

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2011, 10:02:30 pm »
Okay, Andy. Thank you.

Offline brianyap

• Standard
Please clarify rpossible risk exposures
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2011, 10:27:46 am »
Hi Ann and Andy,
i just have some things bothering me and I just want to clarify it once and for all. You mentioned that frottage or even fingering as no risks. I've read that precum also contains the virus. I spoke with a HIV counselor some time ago and i just wanted to validate with you.
1. It takes more than a few drops of semen to get one infected. The longer / the more the exposure the higher the risk.
2. Infection takes place inside the body. What do you mean by this? Is there a particular point? Let's say for instance the head of the penis poked in but penis wasn't completely in, does this carry a risk?
3. If it takes place inside the body, then if i had a cut a pimple or hemorrhoids and let's say a penis with precum got in contact with it, does this carry a risk? I read from the forum that it affects specific cells-- im guessing these are found somewhere else? deeper into the body?
4. How does poppers affect risks? Only by making fucking more rough hence, more possibility of damage?

Thank you so much, I hope to get this thing clarified once and for all.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Please clarify rpossible risk exposures
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2011, 10:51:53 am »
Brian,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep everything in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

1. True. It's just common sense.

2. What you're talking about is commonly called "dipping" and yes, dipping does pose a risk if there is cum or precum present. Of course the level of risk relates to your first question. The level of seminal viral load weighs in here too - dipping with someone with an undetectable VL is far less risky than dipping with a person who has a very high seminal viral load. As most people have no idea what their seminal VL may be, it's best to avoid dipping.

3. Pimples are outside the body and so are external hemmorhoids and you're not going to be infected that way. The cells that hiv can infect are found in the lining of the anus and vagina, the lining of the urethra, and on the inner surface of the foreskin (the part that is hidden when the foreskin is over the head of the penis) in uncircumcised men.

4. Poppers do not affect your risk level. As long as you're using condoms for fucking while you're using poppers, you're good to go. Make sure you're using the condoms correctly and using plenty of lube. You also need to make sure there is no air bubble in the tip of the condom - air bubbles can cause condoms to pop.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is as clear and simple as that!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2011, 10:59:24 am »

1. True. It's just common sense.

2. What you're talking about is commonly called "dipping" and yes, dipping does pose a risk if there is cum or precum present. Of course the level of risk relates to your first question. The level of seminal viral load weighs in here too - dipping with someone with an undetectable VL is far less risky than dipping with a person who has a very high seminal viral load. As most people have no idea what their seminal VL may be, it's best to avoid dipping.

3. Pimples are outside the body and so are external hemmorhoids and you're not going to be infected that way. The cells that hiv can infect are found in the lining of the anus and vagina, the lining of the urethra, and on the inner surface of the foreskin (the part that is hidden when the foreskin is over the head of the penis) in uncircumcised men.

4. Poppers do not affect your risk level. As long as you're using condoms for fucking while you're using poppers, you're good to go. Make sure you're using the condoms correctly and using plenty of lube. You also need to make sure there is no air bubble in the tip of the condom - air bubbles can cause condoms to pop.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is as clear and simple as that!

Ann

Thank you, Ann. That certainly clarified a lot. When it comes to dipping, the head needs to be in, right? I'm assuming dipping is less risky as compared to actually fucking? Are there instances when people became positive over dipping?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2011, 11:10:15 am »
Brian,

Yes, the head needs to be in to qualify as dipping, otherwise it's just frottage. I'm sure there have been people unlucky enough to become infected through dipping. If I recall correctly, we had someone ages ago who ended up posting in the Just Tested Poz forum after dipping (or more correctly, after having been dipped - he was the receptive partner).

You'd be wise to not engage in dipping. It's just asking for trouble. Frottage is ok, but no unprotected dipping, got it? Don't make me come over there and spank you!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline brianyap

• Standard
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2011, 11:17:49 am »
oh believe me, ann.. i'd be the last person who is going to engage in any more risky acts.
reason why im asking is i keep repeating that frottage incident i told you about in my head. im not sure if he "dipped" into me but im guessing i would definitely feel it, right?
arrrgggh

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2011, 11:26:20 am »
Brian,

Unless he has an unusually small penis (smaller than a finger), you'd feel it.

Are you still fretting about that incident from last April? If you cannot put that no risk situation behind you, then why don't you just go test, collect your negative result and get on with your life? It's a no-brainer. Seriously.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.