Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:32:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 226
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 201
Total: 201

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: abnormal pap test  (Read 3624 times)

Offline kitty1

abnormal pap test
« on: February 06, 2007, 12:06:12 pm »
Hello ladies.
I had a pap test that came abnormal. I will have to see a gyno in a month for further tests.  Does this mean I have hpv or some sort of cancer?  I am freaking out.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
Re: abnormal pap test
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 12:12:06 pm »
Well  being that the wifey and I just went through this I will chime in.

It's most likely nothing.  They will go back in and check it out again in 30 days.  My wife had the same thing happen.  95% of the time a small surgical (read that as a laser) will take care of the abnormal cells.  But you arent even there yet, so try not to freak. 

LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 12:16:52 pm »
Kitty, I have two sisters and five nieces and at least one or two of them will get an abnormal pap smear. Don't fret about it. Just go in and be examined again. 99.9% of the time it is nothing. Usually you get your pap smear results on a Friday and worry about it all weekend, how did you get your results during the week? ;)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 12:46:13 pm »
Hi Kitty,

I've had PAPs come back abnormal in the past, but they've always (touch wood) been false alarms so far. The doc might order a colposcopy as well as a second PAP for follow up. The colposcopy is where they have a microscope type thing they look at your cervix with, as part of the whole exam. You don't have to be put out for this or anything, the lens of the scope is placed between the handles of the speculum. Not the most glamorous exam you'll ever have, but aside from having that damn speculum inside you for a few minutes longer, it's a breeze.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 12:53:19 pm »
Oh Ann, I've had bad nightmares of that. Falling in that deep hole of no return. Just screwing with you kitty.  ;)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 01:09:06 pm »
Oh Ann, I've had bad nightmares of that. Falling in that deep hole of no return. Just screwing with you kitty.  ;)

My dear Rodney,

May you experience the joys of a speculum-assisted examination sometime soon! ;D

Best wishes,
Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 01:26:02 pm »
LMAO@ Ann and Rod....Silly rabbits.

Kitty,

I have never gotten an abnormal pap smear. Hell, if 2 men can chime in on this thread then I would say your odds are pretty good that everything will be alright... ;) I'm sure things will work out just fine. And if you gotta get that procedure Ann was speaking about don't sweat it, it will be a cakewalk. Keep us posted.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Christine

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 02:22:30 pm »
Hi kitty,
I have a few abnormal pap smears. Usually it is a low grade dysplasia which if left alone (meaning you ignore it, and stop having pap smears) it could progress to cancer.

My experience, is that the doctor calls with the abnormal result. I go back in, and he does a scraping or a biopsy (which doesn't hurt) and then they send that to the lab. It has also happened that the doctor will see an odd spot while doing the pelvic exam, and they do the biopsy the same day.

Depending on the results of the biopsy, and if needed, the doctor could do a LEAP procedure. Which is a laser used to cut out the affected cells in the cervix. I've had it done and again, that did not hurt either. Just a little cramping and bleeding later in the day, similar to a light period.

The other times, it was a low grade dysplasia which he just checks again in 6 months. This has been going on for close to 10 years.

I have had a friend who had some of her cells frozen, and some cut out in a outpatient procedure because her biopsy results were further advanced, but not yet cancer. There are a few stages of dysplasia.

So don't worry. Important thing is to address it now, don't let it go, or let your anxiety and fear put it off.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline DanKenny

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 02:40:14 pm »
Hi Kitty,

Certainly, I've had my share of pap smears --- well not really.  But have taken a sister, and Ex to the exam, and my very first serious job involved writing about low rates of follow-up to abnormal pap smear results....I ended up learning so much about pap smears...

so, the bottom line: don't fret about the result at this stage.  As other posters have pointed out, it usually is just a minimal abnormality, that will quickly be resolved by further examination.  Be vigilant about it, and get regular check-ups.

Take care...rgds, DK
My Progress:

09/07:   771   ~    <50     ~   29%
03/07:   493   ~    227      ~   22%
02/07:   Began Meds ~~ ATRIPLA
01/07:   315   ~   45, 000  ~   18%
10/06:   350   ~   32, 430  ~   22%
04/06:   440   ~   23, 997  ~   24%
07/05:   621   ~   36,000   ~   24%
01/05:   842   ~   2306      ~   28%
07/04:   615   ~   3370      ~   27%
04/04:   674   ~   739        ~   26%
11/03:   439   ~   2800      ~   22%
Infected probably around 1997 / Diagnosed 2002

Offline poodlelover

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 07:42:37 pm »
I have been down this road.  More than likely they will do a re-peat papsmear and if it is abnormal you will have the cervical Bx to determine exactly what it is.  Depending on the severity of the bx (biospsy) you may or may not have to have cryotherpay which is freezing of the cervix and bad cells.  After the cryotherapy you go back in for a pap about 2 months later to make sure it worked, then again in 6 months and back to once a year after that as long as you do not have any further abnormal paps.  I went thru this twice and ended up having a hysterectomy in 98.  Honestly, it's the best surgery i ever had.  Everything has been fine since the hysterectomy.

edited to add:  if it comes down to cryotherapy and even that doesn't work and you want to opt to have children they can then do what is called a leep procedure to remove deeper tissue.  My 25 year old daughter has been thru this procedure as well and the next step will be a d & c if this didn't get rid of it.  I'm not telling you all this to scare you just to educate you in case these problems arise. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 09:40:21 pm by poodlelover »
Connie

Offline tsw923

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 08:47:15 pm »
Hey, I've had an abnormal pap before.  I ended up having a biopsy and the 'freezy thing' (I love technical jargon  ;D) done.  It was all outpatient.  Then I just had to get checkups 2xs a year.  You will be well!  I will put in a good word for you with the Big Guy...

Ty
Help find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood-related cancers by sponsoring me as I walk a 1/2 marathon as a part of the Maryland chapter of Team in Training.  To find out more and to donate, please click on the following site:  http://www.active.com/donate/tntmd/tswtntmd

Offline northernguy

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 09:39:30 pm »
Pap tests, womanly yes, but I get one too! (with apologies to those old Irish Spring commercials)

In the brave new world of male pap tests mine came back abnormal.  Due to having HPV, doc is just monitoring for now.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.