Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:57:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 178
Total: 178

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Will not have access to Atripla for a little while  (Read 3253 times)

Offline Ac75088

Will not have access to Atripla for a little while
« on: May 15, 2012, 02:21:43 pm »
I tried to get my prescription, but my insurance ran out and I need to get it renewed..However, I am unable to do that until next week! I'll be off my meds for the first time in over a year and am a little scared..I mean obviously when I'm gonna go str8 to my doc once I do get my insurance back, and let him know about my treatment interruption, but do I run a big risk or resistance or illness from being off of Atripla for a week or 2? Will I have to end up switching meds, or do u think my doc will tell me to continue?

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Will not have access to Atripla for a little while
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 02:50:14 pm »
you should see if there's an ASO in your area and contact them about this situation to see if they can help at all.

being off atripla a week or 2 could be problematic but there's no way to tell till the deed is done. I hope you can find an emergency measure and not go without meds.

Use this incident as a learning experience too. Keep up on your insurance, keep up on your prescription refills, and keep a small stockpile of meds for these kinds of "just in case" situations. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 04:40:47 pm »
There was a big commotion at the clinic the otherday because prescribing doc was on sick leave and other docs at a conference overseas. While nurses understand that people with their lab results unchanged (UD...) should keep with there combo they have no authority to write an Rx.
There was a big mess and big distress amoung some of the psychologically frail patients. The chief nurse came to me, a desesperate look in her eyes:
- how are you going to do ? do you need meds urgently
- I don't mind: I have a 4 months stock
- could you please help some of these people
- sure, anyone on the same combo as I, here ?
- No.... 
(which is why I keep stock... I am sorry I can not help others on one hand, but I understand noone could help me out if in need...)

If the problem is only about insurrance and you can not get help from ASO or ER, I would rather pay hard cash for the meds than take any risk.

If you are in the US you may find help... I live in socialized health care environment. It has some good points, but, people lose a sense of community support

If you can borrow pills from a friend you can give them back later , skipping a  dose once every 15 days should be safe enough to build a small stock or return to the person who has helped you.

Hope this helps (a bit)

Eric

PS: some people on this forum once reported being off meds for a week by accident and that not been a problem. but 2 weeks... that is an interruption, i guess

PPS: here,  found a pharmacist who apparently does not mind about making 'mistakes' in her files... She has been very helpfull, you may try this venue (especially with a smaller independant pharmacy who would love to have a new customer)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:52:36 pm by eric48 »
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline Ac75088

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 01:28:17 am »
Thanks to a great person on here, who also lives in my city..I now have another week and a half worth of Atripla..He is no longer on Atripla and had extra he was willing to give me..I am so grateful for how nice people can be here..And now I can learn from this mistake and get everything taken care of..Thanks so much!!

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 01:52:01 am »
Thanks to a great person on here, who also lives in my city..I now have another week and a half worth of Atripla.
that's excellent news!!!  ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.