Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:02:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773188
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 274
Total: 278

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Having a baby or not. I really need your advice  (Read 15056 times)

Offline inadepression

Having a baby or not. I really need your advice
« on: November 11, 2007, 05:16:58 pm »
Hello all,
I am new here.
Very shortly, my exposure was unprotected insertive anal sex with a guy whom I do not know his status.
This was my first gay experience and lasted 2 minutes or less.
After 14 weeks, I got ELISA test and at 12 weeks I got Abbott Duo test. Both negative.
I read your replies that say 3 months is conclusive but two days ago, I made chat with CDC adviser.
I asked him if only drug users, cemotherapy patients and severe immune system problematic people take 6 month test?
He said absolutely NO.And added: 6 month seroconversion time is for all health people.
I was shocked again.
Where did you get that information moderators?
CDC insists on 6 month testing and they never mention that drug users ...etc.. should take test at 6 months?

Secondly, you are expert. Have you ever heard any case that changes hiv status after 3 months?

Lastlt, think that the guy is absulately hiv positive, then should I wait 3 month more?

Thank you very much

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: CDC makes me crazy
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 05:41:24 pm »
Very unfortunately the answer you get from a CDC respondent operator can vary with regard to 13 or 26 weeks as well as other issues. So you're right when you feel driven crazy. I can tell you with certainty that their official position for sometime has been that13 weeks is a valid testing point, with the exceptions you've mentioned and what the operator told you not withstanding.

It's extremely rare in my experience for someone to test positive afer a negative at 13 weeks. It's only happened when a severely compromised immune system or IV drug use was involved.
Andy Velez

Offline inadepression

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 05:45:15 pm »
I am not using drugs. Never.
But my partner has used.
Does it change my position?
So you say, I do not need further test?
regards

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 05:51:46 pm »
No, your partner's drug use will not affect the window period for you.

MtD

Offline inadepression

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 06:09:21 pm »
Please answer my last question;
if the guy is hiv positive, should I take 6 month test after an insertive anal sex?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 06:27:08 pm »
No, you only need to wait 3 months.

MtD

xojamieox

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 07:03:12 pm »
I've seen articles that suggest most HIV testing will be able to detect HIV in as little as 6 weeks, while for a minority, it may take 3 months, and even less common, it would show at 6 months.

That being said, I think you are most likely negative.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 07:15:30 pm »
XOJ, I am sure you are well intentioned but you aren't authorized to be responding to others in this Forum.

While what you said is correct is also a bit misleading and to someone who is worried can be further confusing. 

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after a risky incident.

Testing out to six months is only an issue when IV drug use or a severely compromised immune system is involved such as with someone being tread for cancer.
Andy Velez

Offline inadepression

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 09:04:40 am »
thank you for replies.
Andy you and others say:

"Testing out to six months is only an issue when IV drug use or a severely compromised immune system is involved such as with someone being tread for cancer"

I can never find this statement in any medical source. What is your reference? Please tell me, where did you all get this information? Even aidsmeds lessons state that in rare cases antibodies may be produced in 6 months BUT do not mention drug using, tread of cancer nor CDC does.

I am trying to belive but I cannot understand why did CDC said healthy people can produce antibodies after 3 months.

Is this a gossip or any professional institituon mentioned your statement?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 11:51:37 am »
As I said to you previously we can't account for whom said what to you at the CDC nor do I know what "medical source" or sources you are referring to. 

I can tell you that this site and what we say here is very solidly grounded in HIV science. The site itself is on the recommended list for dozens of HIV organizations as well as institutions including the CDC's recommended list.

You can check our profiles as far as our credentials. I appreciate your state of anxiety. At the same time I will say I find your attitude rather presumptuous in demanding documentation from us for what are basic HIV issues.

We do not deal in "gossip" here and would hardly have survived all the years that we have if that's what we were handing out here. If you're not satisfied with the reliability of the answers you have received here and feel you will be better served elsewhere, then I would urge you to do so. 

In conclusion I will just say you have reliably tested negative for HIV and I see no reason whatsoever to doubt that test result. The CDC uses 13 weeks but many countries use 12 weeks as a reliable testing point, so your result is solid, despite your continuing concerns.   
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 11:56:07 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline inadepression

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 03:39:38 pm »
Sorry Andy. I could not express myself.
I believe and trust you.
Informations in here are scientific, of course.
I observed that 50 % of the questions under "Am I infected" section related to window period. Right?
CDC statement is very bad and worrying me. You know our anxiety. We are trying to believe 13 weeks window period but one hour later CDC consultant says you have to take another test at 6 months. On the one hand, you mention re-testing in case of severe immune system disorder. Ok, I want to believe this more than you. But, I need a statistical source. Then, I  ask to CDC again. They absolutely reject your statement. Then, you get angry to me. The fact is that: Centers of Disease Control of America rejects your statement. This makes me crazy.Ok?

Offline inadepression

Why?
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 02:13:13 am »
Hello All,
This may be the last question for my side. I will appreciate your advise.
Dr. Bob from thebody.com says that if the partner is hiv positive, then you have to take test at 6 months.
I really do not understand this statement.
Whether he/she is hiv positive or not, how can it change my body response to virus?
Ok I understand that severe immune systems disorder may delay producing of antibodies but this is not dependent to my partner's situation.
Of course my body won't say, he/she was positive, so let's produce antibodies after 3 months. So, what is the relation of extra 3 months and hiv positive.
Thank you

Offline Matty the Damned

Re: Why?
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 02:24:53 am »
Please keep all your additional thoughts, questions and comments in your original thread. This helps us to follow your story and give you the most accurate advice.

If you can't find you original thread click on the red link I've provided above. Alternatively you can click on the "show own posts" link in the left hand column of any forums page.

Your questions will not be answered until you return to your original thread.

MtD

Offline inadepression

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 02:31:26 am »
Hello All,
This may be the last question for my side. I will appreciate your advise.
Dr. Bob from thebody.com says that if the partner is hiv positive, then you have to take test at 6 months.
I really do not understand this statement.
Whether he/she is hiv positive or not, how can it change my body response to virus?
Ok I understand that severe immune systems disorder may delay producing of antibodies but this is not dependent to my partner's situation.
Of course my body won't say, he/she was positive, so let's produce antibodies after 3 months. So, what is the relation of extra 3 months and hiv positive.
Thank you

Offline inadepression

Re: Why?
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 02:32:49 am »
Sorry. I returned to original thread. Please answer

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 02:33:39 am »
We cannot vouch for what Dr Bob says or why he says it. If that's what he said (and I'm not inclined to believe that you've reported Bob's comments reliably) then he's wrong.

The window period is 3 months.

You do not have HIV.

MtD

Offline inadepression

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 02:36:44 am »
Doctor Bob: "I don't know exactly which post you are referring to, but most likely it was someone who had a documented significant exposure to someone confirmed to be HIV positive. In these situations the CDC recommends that if the person tests negative at three months they get a confirmatory test at the six-month mark as well."
http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Current/Q188515.html

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 02:53:37 am »
Exactly. Bob was telling that person what the CDC recommends and I believe we've been over the CDC stuff with you before.

As you've been told, you do not have HIV infection. Get over it or you'll be reported to the Moderators.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 08:40:03 am »
I've merged your threads. Please keep all of your entries in this same thread. Thanks for your cooperation.
Andy Velez

Offline inadepression

aidsmeds lesson
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 08:52:53 am »
Friends,
Here is the sentence in aidsmeds lesson:
"All but less than 1% of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within three months".

Who is includes in this 1%?
Can a healthy person seroconvert after 3 months?

As you know much more than me, we are not normal people anymore.
Now, this 1% is always in my mind. Can I be in this 1%? If not why?
(Note: my exposure was unprotected insertive anal sex)

Thnak you very much

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2007, 10:23:13 am »
I've merged yet another of your new threads into the previous ones. We've asked you before to comply with our rule of not starting new threads. Keep all of your entries in this same thread. You are risking getting a time out if you don't follow this request.

Andy Velez

Offline inadepression

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2007, 10:29:23 am »
Sorry Andy, I thought that these two are unrelated subjects.
Can you please answer my question.
Thnak you

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2007, 10:42:39 am »
You've already gotten the answer to that question. A very small number of people may take up to 6 months to test positive. Those involve IV drug users or someone with a severely compromised immune system due to cancer treatment or other like situation. And a severely compromised immune system is not a flu or a cold. It becomes quite clear that something beyond the norm that is very serious is occuring.

As you have been repeatedly told, apparently to no effect upon you, you have reliably tested negative for HIV. HIV is not a problem for you. It's your thoughts about it that are and beyond a certain point there's nothing more we can do about that here. If you can't let go of this unwarranted concern then I suggest you get some professional help to deal with it. As I said we can't do that for you here.
Andy Velez

Offline inadepression

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2007, 02:11:05 am »
Today, I will take 4 months combo test (ag/ab).
They give the result in four hours.
I will announce the result in here.
Thank you all

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 02:18:52 am »
And that result will be negative.

MtD

Offline inadepression

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 08:31:07 am »
Andy, MtD guess what?
My 4 months test is negative.
The doctor got angry to me and said do not come to the clinic again.
He is accepting 3 months as a conclusive time period.
You were right.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 10:43:10 am »
I didn't have to guess what. I knew the result would be negative.

It's time to get on with your life.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline inadepression

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2007, 09:27:48 am »
Here is the CHAT LOG with CDC Consultant.

you: Hello
you: What is the window period of hiv according to the CDC
Jack: Hello, I am sorry for the delay. According to the CDC, the window period is 6 months after exposure.
you: Is it same for 4th generation tests?
Jack: The reason it is 6 months is because 97% of people will develop antibodies to HIV at 3 months, but some rare cases 3% occur at 6 months.  This window period is for antibody testing.
you: Ok. I am talking about ag/ab tests.
you: Combo tests or duo tests
you: My doctor told me that the new window period is 3 months
Jack: But which kind of combo/duo tests?
you: p24 + hiv 1/2 antibodies
Jack: According to the CDC, it is 6 months.  I can not comment on your doctor's statement or his information.
Jack: Ok...if the tests are antibody tests...it is still 6 months.
you: I have learnt that CDC used to say 6 months since 2004
you: It was 6 months but
you: from 2004, it is 3 months.
you: right?
Jack: Again, it is 6 months because there are rare cases that take this long...it is still 6 months...I can give you the website.
you: Ok. When is the last case who seroconvert after 3 months?
Jack: We do not have that kind of information here...you can contact CDC INFORMATION at 1-800-232-4636 or e-mail at cdcinfo@cdc.gov.
you: ok
you: thank you
you: here is the last question
Jack: ok
you: CDC says 6 months to include all people and people who use IV drugs or has severe immune system disorder produce antibodies after 3 months. Is that true? or Can healthy people produce antibodies after 3 months?
Jack: No. Healthy people can develop antibodies after 3 months...they are rare cases but anyone could be that rare case. 
you: You even did not ask my exposure.
you: What kind of consultancy is that
you: You know nothing about hiv
Jack: I do not need to know your exposure...that is your personal information. 
you: Oh really.
Jack: You asked me the window period.
you: But it depends
you: if it is oral sex
you: than, 6 weeks will be sufficient
you: if it is receptive anal sex
you: 13 weeks will be conclusive
you: CDC says that not me
Jack: That is not accurate information. 
Jack: You can contact CDC INFORMATION at 1-800-232-4636
you: Bye
Jack: Bye

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2007, 10:53:52 am »
in,

You can stress over this all you like and ask all the questions of the ill-informed CDC phone-workers you like, but that is not going to change the fact that you are hiv negative. You can also keep testing over this one incident all you like, but your result is not going to change.

If you continue to have difficulties in accepting your hiv negative status, perhaps it's time you booked an appointment with a counselor who can teach you methods of coping with your anxiety. We cannot help you with that here.

You will not be permitted to use this forum to continually question your conclusive hiv negative status. Please read the Welcome thread and take note of the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline inadepression

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2007, 10:58:54 am »
 :D Can you believe this?
You were right!
And I am shocked again. CDC advisers are morons.
I hope, everyone will read this post.
thank you

Welcome to the CDC National Prevention Information Network. You are now chatting with 'JB'. How may we help you?
you: JB Hi.
JB: Hello.  How may I help you?   
you: Look, what I found:
you: person with a negative or inconclusive result may be in the “window for 4 to 6 weeks but occasionally up to 3 months after HIV exposure. Persons at high risk who initially test negative should be retested 3 months after exposure to confirm results
you: Guess who wrote this ?
JB: What is the source?
you: CDC!
you: http://www.cdc.gov/nchstp/od/gap/pmtct/Trainer%20Manual/Adobe/Module_6TM.pdf
you: This is the trainer manual
you: can you believe this
you: this is a lesson note for you!
you: And be sure there is no other statement
you: it is all that I pasted
you: it is 44 pages and i pushed ctrl f and search 6 months. How many results? 0
JB: Are you satisfied with the information?
you: what do you mean JB? I am dying due to anxiety.
you: Do not ask my satisfaction please. Explain it to me
you: This is training lecture notes
you: to people who make tests.
JB: I am afraid that I do not understand.  As previously discussed, 3 months is the window period.  6 months is for follow-up.     
you: Look. please, i am begging you. do not play with me
you: cdc says 97% percent seroconvert in 3 months
you: and now you say 3 months is the window period
you: yesterday you told me the window period is 6 months
you: i copied what you said
you: i have a proof.
JB: yes this is  correct and this is the information that was given to you...I don't understand your questions or what you are trying to tell me
JB: The correct answer is that you should test at 3 months, and then you should test again at 6 months because there are 3% of people that have been shown to develop antibodies after the 3 month window period
you: No. I sent you the training notes.
JB: This is straight from the CDC
you: There is no statement about 6 months.
you: never
JB: We do not go by training notes, we go  by actual information from the CDC
JB: taken from their website
you: Jb. you are a good person but you have to change something in life. did you get the point. please show the link that i sent you to officers. make a good job.
you: people are dying due to anxiety. do it.
JB: I can only report what the CDC has trained me to report
you: ok do it but try to change something in life.you are not a robot
JB: If you are not satisfied with the information that I have provided, then you may want to visit the CDC's website at www.cdc.gov/hiv
you: think about it
you: bye

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2007, 11:39:14 am »
in,

I can't for the life of me understand why you are repeatedly bringing your complaints about the CDC to us. What are we supposed to do about it? We have nothing to do with them and they have nothing to do with us. I suggest you contact the CDC and make your complaints to THEM.

Just as you won't be permitted to use this forum to continually question your conclusive negative results, neither will you be permitted to use this forum as your CDC complaint dumping ground. Once again, please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline inadepression

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2007, 12:43:14 pm »
Dear Ann,
How many people are questioning the window period in this forum?
How many people are asking about the CDC statement?
and lastly How many people read this topic? (900)
I am not writing to relax myself. And i did not ask anything to you in my last post.
I want to help people who question 3-6 month dilemma.
And be sure, a person who read this subject will not question 6 month period again and more importantly they will be reliefed.
That's the point.

Offline inadepression

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2007, 06:32:55 am »
A very tiny percentage of people with HIV infection never seem to develop any antibodies at all. Source: http://www.aidsmap.com/en/docs/6B677FE3-8CB1-4547-B2BE-B1979324985F.asp

What does it mean? Can you explain please?
How a human body cannot produce antibodies?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2007, 07:06:30 am »
In,

I suggest you stop searching the internet for dubious, unsubstantiated information to try to prove to us that you have hiv. You do NOT have hiv! The information on the Aidsmap page you linked to has no studies supporting it and it looks to me like they plucked their numbers out of thin air. 

You ARE conclusively hiv negative. You do not have hiv. Use condoms in future and you won't have this worry again.

I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline inadepression

Having a baby or not. I really need your advice
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2008, 05:08:19 am »
Dear friends,
I am a married guy. 30 weeks ago I experienced a gay relationship with hiv positive partner. I was the insertive partner.
I have taken 15 hiv antibody tests (4th gen) up to 30 weeks. All negative.
Now, my wife and me think to have a baby. But I am very scared. Because there is herpes near my mouth for a week and i have a diarrhea problem for 2 days.
What do you think?
Is it a late seroconversion?
I am very very scared again.
Please do not delete my entry.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Having a baby or not. I really need your advice
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2008, 05:18:16 am »
In,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

You absolutely do not have hiv. You have more than conclusively tested hiv negative. Whether or not you and your wife have a baby is up to you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline inadepression

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2008, 05:42:40 am »
thanks ann.
sorry for my english but what do you mean by your last sentence.
you mean; i can begin unprotected sex with my wife to have a baby?
sorry for asking again but i could not understand

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2008, 05:46:30 am »
in,

You don't have hiv. There is no reason why you can't have unprotected intercourse with your wife.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.