Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:13:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 462
Total: 464

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Yoga?  (Read 6408 times)

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
Yoga?
« on: September 12, 2006, 09:57:33 am »
Hi,

I have been stretching and balancing at the gym.  The balancing seems to keep me from bumping into walls or cars when I am driving, especially when I am fatigued, and I can tell I am getting better at it.  There is also something in the balancing of my body, that makes me feel balanced in mind and spirit.  The stretching puts me in my body and I feel a different kind of love for my myself (my body) than the rush of power I get from lifting (adrenaline?) 

Am I a candidate for Yoga?  Or is there some other practice that mixes stretching and balancing?  Can anyone recommend a great DVD (I am in the U.S., however those outside might benefit from all suggestions)?  I am interested in a spiritual, yet bare-bones approach.

Thanks,
Drew

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Yoga?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 10:52:10 am »
Hi Drew,

Yoga is good and so is Tai Chi. Don't have any dvd suggestions though.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline alerthari

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 11:05:37 am »
Hi Drew,

You can visit a site called divyayoga.com. They sell DVD including books in english on yoga and breathing exercises(pranyam in hindi). Swami Ramdev is the person who is teaching in the DVD is most popular in India right now and recently he has been to UK.Though he is likely to visit U.S and Canada too.But meanwhile you can order the DVD  and the book on both pranayam and yoga online.Iam doing breathing exercise and it is  very helpful particularly 2 called kapalbhati and anulomvilom in weight reduction as well as in peripheral neuropathy.

Offline Christine

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 04:40:41 pm »
Hi Drew,
Up until last year (when I started to feel pretty bad) I did yoga almost every day. I practiced hatha yoga, which is a bit more strenuous and focuses on the poses more than the spiritual aspect. I really like the DVD called Total Yoga. It shows poses that can be done in an easier way, and then the same pose in a more challenging way. It also focuses a little on breath work.

If you want something more spiritual, I would say look into kundalini yoga. It focuses a little more on meditation, working with your chakras.

You might want to take a few classes, just to have some guidance from an instructor in the beginning. I have also seen yoga classes specifically for hiv + people that work with energy, and immune building poses. Hope this helps. If you have any questions, I would be glad to help.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 04:54:22 pm »
Buy the book, "yoga, the 28 day exercise plan" by richard hittleman. its in paperback. I have bought several books on yoga and it is the simplest,cheapest,and the best.  I bought it in 1985 and have been doing it ever since. I used to have terrible back problems and knock on wood,my back has not bothered me since.(after my first three months of yoga). I did almost break my neck one morning doing the headstand with a level 10 hangover.
If you want to add meditation, I would recommend"relaxation response", "your maximum mind" or "beyond the relaxation response" by herby benson.

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 01:06:24 am »
Thanks Ann, Alerthari, Christine and Jack!

Drew

Offline Eldon

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 01:38:45 am »
Drew,

Ti Chi is the BEST!

Have the BEST Day!

Offline RevMC

• It's me!
    • Psychic AwakeningSchool.com
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 08:41:55 pm »
I've heard that Yoga is great for your body, mind and spirit.  I too am going to be looking into Yoga to help with stress and to make myself feel better.

On a spiritual level, meditation is great (I need to get back into doing my meditations).  I have a website www.PsychicAwakeningSchool.com that has classes about awakening your Psychic Abilities.  We also have some free and low cost classes on meditations that can be used for spiritual purposes or for relaxation.  The classes start out with basic breathing techniques (how to properly breath for meditation), visualization techniques (very relaxing) and different meditations.

I'm going to be working on creating my own meditations cd's (it's easier to do meditations while listening to them instead of memorizing them).

Meditation and Yoga can and often do go hand in hand.  Some Yoga places also offer free introduction classes.  I suggest you check out for any Yoga studios in your area and see if they offer any of these.  I've also heard that some Yoga Studios offer sliding fees and some free classes for people with illness's.  If you can attend one of these classes it'll give you an idea if this is right for you or not.

Love and Light, ;)
Rev. Michael
Part of my story: "Sale Of A Lifetime" POZ December 2003
https://www.poz.com/article/Sale-of-a-Lifetime-752-6797

Started on Truvada and Viramune on 2/15/07

Jan 8, 2007   t-cells 215  Viral Load 10,000  24%
March 26'th  T-cells 306   Viral Load  UNDETECTABLE
June 2007 t-cells 375 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE
August 2007 t-cells 290 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE

Love and Light and Reiki sent your way,
Rev. Michae

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 08:49:25 pm »
And, best of all, Yoga is for all creatures great and small!

http://www.yogakitty.com/yogavideos.html

;)

MtD

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 11:08:15 pm »
Drew, I am all for it!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 12:40:03 am »
I used to be a skeptic (and I'm originally from India!) but now I'm a convert. Beginning hatha yoga is the way to go. Start slow though. Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline joemutt

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 09:02:08 am »
A simple Vipassana Meditation guide which can be downloaded for free is:
dungtin.com/vipassana/EngMain2ndEdition.htm

The language might seem childlike but it works. Enjoy

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 09:23:32 am »
Joemutt, the link is not all there, can u repost?

Matty, that is a silly link, but I have to admit I massage and stretch my cats!

Eric, I love all these pictures, you image hunter!  I bet I could do some awesome Yoga with a shirtless boy...

Rev. M, let us know if you want to share your meditation recordings, maybe we can put them up on the web.

Thanks people!
Drew

Offline pragyamishra

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 10:11:20 am »

Hey Drew!

Just a lil suggestion if you are trying Kundalini or awakening of chakras. Find an instructor and don't just depend on books or DVDs. 
As for Ramdev.. You can try him out.. My parents watch his programme every morning  ( I stay in India) & they have benefited. So All the Best.

Love
Prags

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.