Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:08:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773274
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 390
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 358
Total: 358

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Great film - "Chris and Don - A Love Story "  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Jody

Great film - "Chris and Don - A Love Story "
« on: July 05, 2008, 11:29:44 pm »
Edited to include entire title of movie..................

Tonight my friend Frank and I went to see a wonderful film at a great artsy little theater in Kew Gardens, Queens which is our boroughs rival of the Quad in Manhattan, a lovely little theater with nice art work in the lobbies such as old Life magazine covers and Hollywood magazine type covers...The bathrooms even have a man with a 1930's style fedora hat and a woman with a veiled hat on the doors, a very tastefully done art deco style place, even though it has been broken down into several theaters and modernized of course.

We arrived early and decided to see "Chris and Don" for the 6 PM showing and then dinner...It was an outstanding film told through the eyes of Don Bachardy, an artist who is known for drawing many Hollywood legends, about his life with the writer Christopher Isherwood.

Isherwood was born in in England to a well to do family and was closer to his nanny than his mother...His father was an officer who died in WW1...He felt conflicted with being a gay man in staid Britain and moved to Berlin where he experienced the cabarets and the night life and met a young man...They saw first hand the Nazi rise to power and travelled around Europe before his partner was arrested by the Gestapo and sent to war.

Isherwood left Europe like so many others and came to America in 1939...He did not particularly care for New York, with its hustle and bustle and cold winters and got on a train for Los Angeles where he would remain for the rest of his life...He would later meet Don Bachardy, many years his junior and was actually smitten initially with Don's older brother...Don (and his brother) were very handsome boys and Don and Chris would develop a very open relationship in Los Angeles, specifically Hollywood for many years after...Chris was a well known writer who financed Don's budding art career and Don painted many portraits of famous Hollywood stars and Chris and Don went to all the parties out in Tinseltown, always together.

After Chris passed Don was quite sad (he assisted Chris to the very end) and then remained in the Los Angeles home they shared for years together, bicycleing everywhere around town after that and still painting his lovely portraits, many handsome young men in the mix. 

The film made me contemplate my relationship with Frank, whom I have only known for a few years...We are just friends and though he is most cool about it, I think my having HIV may be a bit of a hang up for him, I won't judge him for that, though I also don't believe I am his type physically, he is ten years my junior, I am tall, he is short and happens to favor darker skinned men, but still we have a certain love that may be stronger than just a friendship, I believe.

Anyway - a wonderful, sweet must see film, for gay and straight alike!!!

Jody :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 03:11:20 pm by Jody »
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline allanq

Re: Great film - "Chris and Don"
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 11:47:17 pm »
Thanks Jody. Netflix has it, and I just put it on my queue.

Allan

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 02:14:47 am »
Jody.

Back in high school ('60's) I read Isherwood's The Berlin Stories. which is what the play/movie Cabaret is based on.  I was hooked and had to read everything by the man.  That was my latent homosexuality coming out.  As you know, Cabaret is a classic and Joel Grays' signature role.  Because of the movie, I fell in love with Michael York who played the gay blade, who I guess you could say was Isherwood (if there is anything autobiographical about it)

Anyway, thanks for the clue.  Like Allan, I've added it to my queue.

robert

Offline Jody

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 11:10:03 am »
Yes Robert, Cabaret is discussed early on...Chris and Don truly had amazing lives together and there is even some animation thrown in that truly adds to the story line...It was a memorable little movie for me, Frank enjoyed it immensely as well.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline allanq

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 02:12:00 pm »
I read Ishwerwood's book "A Single Man," a very touching short novel about a gay man.

I just checked my Netflix queue and saw that "Chris and Don" isn't yet available on DVD. Netflix put it on a special queue and will presumably let me know when it becomes available on DVD.

Allan

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 04:15:03 pm »
I don't have Netflix, but will look for it at one of the video stores in the next couple weeks.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: Great film - "Chris and Don - A Love Story "
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 08:58:12 am »
Hi Jody, from the sounds of it, a film like this can easily put us into comtemplation mode. I simply assumed Frank was like Eileen to you, you know, a platonic activity friend who you'd be able to meet people through, etc. Well, in my prediction, you, Joe T. and Frank are like three amigos for life - for better or for worse etc - And that's gorgeous in of itself  8) Luv, A

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.