Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:46:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773218
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 593
Total: 595

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: worried over possible hiv exposure  (Read 5184 times)

Offline alittleworried

worried over possible hiv exposure
« on: April 19, 2010, 01:05:25 pm »
Hey everyone, I'm alittle concerned over a possible exposure I was involved in. I am feeling increased anxiety because of the status of the person I was with. The exposure involves deep kissing/making out on two occasions. The only caveat is that I had a bit of a sore throat while making out with him. The first night we made out the throat was only scratchy but the second night it became worse. However, being caught up in the moment I still made out with him. We also did body and genital touching, along with kissing each other's bodies and of course face and neck area. My concern with the face and body  kissing is that I suffer from razor burn and acne on the chest and cheeks. Lastly, I gave him a handjob till completion and got his semen on my hand and nail/cuticle. I wiped it off but was enable to wash it off for an hour or so. Based on this level of explosure and his status, is there any cause for concern? I have a current negative test result, with this being the only exposure which could change that. Should I test over this, given the razor burn, acne, sore throat, and semen exposure? I woke up feeling even sicker today after the incident but that could be just a cold or anxiety. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: worried over possible hiv exposure
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 01:17:38 pm »
You are worry needlessly. Nothing you are reporting of your sexual activities was in any way whatsoever a risk for HIV transmission.

As far as the sexual risk for HIV transmission it's really very simple. The ONLY confirmed risks are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. As long as you always use condoms for intercourse you won't have any cause to be concerned about the sexual transmission of HIV. Yes, it really is that simple.

So you have no need for further concern nor any need for testing. And yes, I have read all of the details that you are reporting very carefully.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline alittleworried

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 11:30:56 am »
Andy, thank you so much for the reply. With all the mismatched information available its hard to determine what exactly is "safe." This ends up making any sexual activity very frustrating. I just have a brief follow up question. Is it saliva that also makes transmission via a sore throat not possible? I just assumed that a sore throat would equate to an open wound, thus magnifying the exposure to something more risky. Perhaps I am still holding onto a bit of anxiety over this. But again, you do not feel testing is warranted? Thanks again.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 12:58:28 pm »
Saliva contains over a dozen elements and proteins which very effectively prevent the transmission of viable HIV.

No testing is necessary. Get on with your life and just make sure to always use condoms for vaginal and anal intercourse.
Andy Velez

Offline alittleworried

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 01:02:34 am »
Hello Everyone,

I hope its okay that I am using my old thread. The warning at the top of the posting said to “please consider starting a new topic.” If I am doing something wrong I apologize in advance. Recently I was made aware that oral sex, mainly receiving oral sex is very low risk, but not “no risk” for HIV. This has led me to rethink a previous incident I had. Would a very brief oral sex encounter (less than a minute) be “zero” risk for HIV, as I speculate it is? I was on the receiving end, it was unprotected and the partner was of unknown status. The kissing, mutual masturbation, and body rubbing I am not concerned with as your previous answers alleviated all those fears. I’m not sure if the person had open sores, bad gums, etc...because I honestly didn’t ask to give him a dental exam before we got involved. For sure, I know he wasn’t spitting up blood or anything. Anyway, any advice you can give me, yet again, would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 05:33:44 am »
You never had a risk of contracting HIV from Oral sex.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 06:45:29 am »
I don't know where your "recent awareness of low risk" came from, but it's wrong. In the entire history of the epidemic there has never been a single confirmed case of HIV transmission to a man through his having received oral. It's safe to say you are not going to make history by becoming the first.

You did exactly the right thing by using your previous thread. All entries should be kept in this same thread. That's a rule of the site. Thanks for your cooperation.

The only confirmed means of the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. Everything else sexual is only "theoretically" possible.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline alittleworried

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 12:08:50 pm »
Andy, Ann, and Rod,

I appreciate your quick replies which seem to confirm what I have already read throughout the archives. The information regarding “low risk” came from a site referred to me by a friend called thebody.com. At this particular site the physician frequently categorizes both giving and receiving oral sex as “low risk,” but not “no risk” and recommends testing at three months per CDC guidelines. This was the cause of my confusion on the matter. Being that you guys are always on target with these matters and I’m sure read more literature than I do, I will go with your opinion that testing is not warranted and the risk of hiv acquisition was zero? I again appreciate all that you do and any further information regarding why such conflicting information exists would be helpful. Thanks again.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 12:42:28 pm »
alittle,

The Body is notorious for publishing conflicting and often just plain wrong information when it comes to transmission issues.

You had absolutely no risk of hiv infection when you got a blowjob. You do not need to test over a no risk situation.

Here's what you need to know in order to remain hiv negative:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST OVER A BLOWJOB, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.